• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Is anyone working on a solid futuristic puncture proof tire? 200 years and no improvement?

I wish there was a good solution. Even tubeless wouldn't have saved me from the sidewall gash at the weekend.

There's a fortune to be made for whoever eventually cracks it.

HTupolev

Yes.

DlBCz4J.jpg

That's the crappy HTupolev phone HDR shot, though. Someone else got a much more color-accurate shot. Seriously fiery rainbow:

U3zjbvx.jpg

Made the 4x4 points race even more epic.

thomaser

Forgot to post about it, but I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago. First, a couple of days walking in Cinque Terre, then cycling around Elba, and then cycling through Tuscany. Such a great trip, I love cycling in Italy.

Hiking from town to town in Cinque Terre.

My ride for the occasion, an Argon 18 Krypton. Really nice bike, very stable on the descents and also easy to climb with. And it was just my size, not like my own bike at home which is a tad too small.

First climb on Elba.

Yeaaaaah! Gelato. Food of the gods.

Cruising along the south-western coast of Elba.

Meet Gelato Man, the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. No wonder this gelateria didn't have customers.

Reaching the top of Fausto Coppi's favourite climb when he used to train on Elba.

Tuscan vineyards and stuff.

Cool hotel in a huge forest. Lots of people go there to rent mountainbikes - there are hundreds of miles of paths everywhere. I wanna go back some day.

Not the best roads, but really fun to ride!

Starting the long climb up to Volterra.

View from Volterra.

Going fast!

Typical mid-ride refueling.

teepo

you'll quickly realize how hard it is to ride with much less experienced cyclists.

i used to always invite my friends out for rides but not anymore.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my new Fuji has this odd click on the right hand push stroke under power. It sounds sort of like it's coming from the rear hub area. The odd thing is that my old Fuji del Rey has almost the exact same click.

Any ideas what it would be?

Mascot

Been off the bike for a week and desperate to get out this afternoon, but a client took me to an all-day free bar in Cardiff for the football yesterday and my legs feel like I ran all the way home. Which I might well have done, to be honest - I can't actually remember much past 4pm.

Mascot

Great night? I thought you were of the Wales persuasion?

I leapt up and cheered when England equalised and was met with dead silence and the icy stares of a hundred Welshmen.

frontieruk

Don't get a hybrid bike, if you really want a type of hybrid bike get a cycle-cross bike, which is a road bike with mountain bike tires and brakes.

I use to have the typical hybrid, Mountain bike frame and road bike tires, it was the "safe" bike to get bake into cycling, but it was a boring bike and I regretted my purchase.

If you are young get a steel road bike, much more fun and comfortable, as the drop bars give you many positions.

The cheapest source you will find for bikes is http://bikesdirect.com/ but then keep in mind you are forfeiting any value adders your local bike shop may have like free adjustments and repairs.

Sounds more like you chose badly than the entire range of bikes is useless...

When I got back into in 2012 I picked up one of these

RdNeBRC.jpg

It was fast, light comfortable so much so that when I finally got my bottle back to get on a bike I went to look at the 2016 version of it first, I loved the look and the paint which is apparently designed to fade in interesting ways in the sun.. But I found it it heavy, and though not slow it didn't feel as nimble as the 2012 version.

So I ended up with

mp03lBC.jpg

Which again gave me the feeling of a light nimble bike with a lot of pace to it. Don't write off a range because you had a bad experience due to your choices.

When I started riding in 2012 I was commuting 7 miles each way on a giant rock mtb that's slow and unwieldy on roads love it off road though.

I wouldn't expect anything else

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/behind-the-wheel-peter-sagans-1970-dodge-charger/

Stylish, distinctive, and with a lot of power under the hood: Peter Sagan’s car choice has a lot in common with the athlete.

The world champion hails from Slovakia but has drawn inspiration from across the Atlantic and from his childhood TV viewing of the Dukes of Hazard show. The rider, who earns millions each year, commissioned two Californians to build him a 1970 Dodge Charger, which is a version of the vehicle used in the famous TV series.

PS-Charger-1301.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
20 miles on a mountain bike is equal to 50-60 on the road. I'm never as tired on a road bike as i am tackling the uphills on my mountain bike.

With the hot weather we've been having here in Houston this past week I'm hoping the local trails will be ready to ride soon. Until then it's bike cleaning time.

20160618_201220_HDR_zpskwdnxl78.jpg

51sXIp9FopL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished this book about the Tour Divide. I kept thinking to myself, "That doesn't sound too bad." And then I remembered they're doing this on mountain bikes, something I tool around on around here, not 165 miles in one day across some truly terrible terrain.

Not on my bucket list.

If I had someone to do it with - and, as you say, the time available - I probably could get through it. Right now I'm still thinking about how sore my knee was (and is) after just four days of "hard" riding. It gives me pause.

thomaser

13432404_10153615179052483_7318247389030982150_n.jpg

Had this year's first ride around my favourite local mtb-route today. Finally found a path between two nice roads that I previously thought were completely separate (big height difference). It's possible to cycle up from the lower to the upper, except a couple of short segments that require pushing. Was rewarded with a gorgeous area to play around in, complete with a very nice singletrack. I have to explore more up there and climb the singletrack the other way - it potentially goes up to the top of a mountain... and what goes up must go down! I don't think anyone else ever goes there with a bike, so I can have it all by myself.

13434967_10153615179142483_2490584572891954969_n.jpg

The top of my favourite gravel climb. Perfect place to sit down and unwind with some food before thundering down again.

HTupolev

Did the Mountain Loop Highway today.

50 miles from Darrington to Granite Falls, with another 40 on the ends to complete the "loop." People said it was a pretty road, and I'm inclined to agree.

A park in Darrington at the start of the highway:

f5nNeWU.jpg

Pretty soon it stops being pavement and starts being dirt. Pretty smooth dirt, but it rained yesterday so there was a shallow goopy layer.

BLEqC49.jpg

A lookout from early in the dirt section:

I4qCOyG.jpg

A view from the middle of a bridge:

WKIIb6b.jpg

The highway spends a lot of time running alongside water.

vcHDhKc.jpg

The trees make it hard to get good pictures of some of the views, but sometimes the trees have gaps.

hQzu663.jpg

The dirt section ends at the highest point, Barlow Pass, with about 30 miles left until Granite Falls. IMO the paved regions weren't as pretty as the dirt, but they weren't bad either.

vQOHVTi.jpg

Also landed my first KOM somehow. o_O

Mascot

Fuck a duck. It's been hammering down for the last 18 hours with even more rain forecast. My local trails were in tip-top condition this time last week, and now they're fucking swampland. It'll take two weeks of uninterrupted hot sun to get them back to how they were.

20160522_115526_zpsogb6v0w5.jpg

Man, I'm so pissed off with this bloody weather right now.

Did my final training ride for the Yorkshire Dales 300. Had my bikepacking bags with weights in and ended up with a bike weighing roughly 20kg, plus another 5kg on my back (that's about 55lbs in weight total for you yanks ;).

Was painful, but on the bright side I'll be carrying far less for the actual event. Definitely need lower gears if I'm going to train with any more than that though, was nigh on impossible to keep my heart rate in my target range on the climbs.

Teggy

I started bike commuting to work today.

I work from home so that means I rode ten miles before work and took a shower.

I plan on doing this every day it doesn't rain. I plan on walking home at the end of the day, and taking a shortcut. It only takes a few steps if I take the right route. Too many showers otherwise.

Love mountains, those are awesome pics HTupolev!

My knee has finally healed so I can ride without worrying. Went for a 50km ride, mostly along pathways:

L0hysMn.jpg

HTupolev

Is this a gravel bike? There are so many different bike classes these days.
It could be called a gravel bike.

In the early days of mountain bikes, suspension forks did not yet exist, and MTBs were basically beefed-up touring bikes with extra-long wheelbases, wide rims, and straight handlebars.

I took one such bike - a Specialized Stumpjumper manufactured in early 1984 - and gave it drop handlebars, less-knobby tires, and fenders.

Are there significant differences between a gravel bike and a cyclocross bike?
"Gravel bike" is not a very well-defined category. For some, their gravel bike is a cyclocross bike. Some manufacturers treat "gravel bike" as a sort of more-endurance-oriented cyclocross bike. If you host a ride with gravel sections and tell people to bring their gravel bike, you may very well mostly get people showing up on old bikes equipped with wide tires.

Teggy

I took one such bike - a Specialized Stumpjumper manufactured in early 1984 - and gave it drop handlebars, less-knobby tires, and fenders.

I didn't even catch that, it looks very new. I guess it doesn't have brifters, but if you changed the handlebars, that was your choice.

The first bike I'd seen referred to as a "gravel bike" is the Ridley X-Trail, but looking at their site, they don't even call it a gravel bike.

Top Bottom