• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

20160724_193136_HDR_zpsitcqzdu2.jpg

Where are you in this photo?
No, joking aside - where are you? The flora looks kind of tropical. California?

So hit a woodchuck (/groundhog) going 28 mph. 3 hours in the ER and 10 stitches on the chin later, doing alright. Moral of the story, watch out for wildlife...

Jesus wept, I just zoomed in on your hands.

Teggy

Hm, I won't be doing any races anytime soon, so maybe a Roubaix is better suited for me as a hobbyist/for exercise? I definitely intend to stop into a few places this week. How are you liking your model?

I'm definitely enjoying it, it's just been a bit of an adjustment from riding a very upright feeling hybrid with a really soft seat for the past 15 years or so.

I just watched this video - looks like fun..!

At 45 seconds into the video is where I fell, I was coming the other way, the descent has eroded a bit, and is definitely more technical now.

It's a nice trail, probably the best in Houston, since 2015 there has also been quite a few jumps, and berms added to the trail, the trail steward is doing a great job of adding features for both beginners and advanced riders.

Mascot

Parts of it reminded me of my own local trails. I must try to shoot a highlights reel one of these weekends to give a good idea of the variety on tap. It'll involve Gorillapodding the S6E to trees and doing fly-bys so might take a while to shoot and edit. Not got a good helmet mount or chest mount but the video camera is bloody good - 1080p/60.

I'm always on and off the lock out. But then I know how to climb hills efficiently. :p

As for the dropper... depends on the terrain. There are some trail centres where they're a no brainer, but for most riding it's a bit of a waste.

HTupolev

Needs a lockout for fore-aft saddle positioning as well, plus a dropper stem. Then you can totally change your fit as you ride. One instant you feel like you're on a track bike, the next it's a beach cruiser. Yay!

Mascot

I'm always on and off the lock out. But then I know how to climb hills efficiently. :p

I've got a handlebar-mounted fork lock-out on the hardtail and used to use it for steady smooth climbing but once the novelty wore off I found it didn't really seem to make much difference. For rocky, technical climbs I actively prefer the shock to be working to help keep the front wheel grounded for better control (ie not bouncing off the rocks).

As for the dropper... depends on the terrain. There are some trail centres where they're a no brainer, but for most riding it's a bit of a waste.

Yeah, for uplifts and pure descents at trail centres I can understand the use, but to me that's not real mountain biking. That's BMX for grown-up Power Rangers. I like to pedal on my bicycle. :p

Dropper posts are incredible on the mtb, my descent speed has gone up significantly and the bike feels a lot more stable.

I just slide off the back of the saddle and hang my arse over the back wheel with the saddle pressed into my stomach, lowering and shifting back my CoG.

*shrugs*

I guess if you have a long top tube, short arms, a long stem, or a slightly oversized bike (or any combo of the above) then it might be hard to do this, but for me it's always been a breeze on any of the 10+ mountain bikes I've owned over the past 30-odd years. For me the added weight, complexity, maintenance and expense of a dropper post isn't at all necessary.

And if riders can't slide off the back of the saddle quickly and easily, then how do they cope with a sudden drop-off on a flat trail like this?

inchiriere-biciclete.jpg

Surely they don't activate the dropper every time they anticipate a drop-off? I dunno, maybe they do. Seems like a lot of faff to me.

danowat

Banned
Roadies problems.......

Sunny weather combined with lighter traffic due to the school holidays brings out all the wheel suckers on my commute, had to drop two of them buggers this morning..........

I've got a handlebar-mounted fork lock-out on the hardtail and used to use it for steady smooth climbing but once the novelty wore off I found it didn't really seem to make much difference. For rocky, technical climbs I actively prefer the shock to be working to help keep the front wheel grounded for better control (ie not bouncing off the rocks).

Your fork should be working for technical climbs. As for novelty, if you get out of the saddle on climbs, you're going to lose a lot of what you're putting in with the fork bobbing around.

Oh, and if you have the saddle set up at your perfect pedalling height, you probably wont be able to do that whole slide back thing properly (depends on geometry obviously). You need it about an inch off that height to be able to get away with it and not risk crashing if you bike takes a hit. Common sense says you do give yourself that extra amount of room, but if I'm doing an long distance event I'll prioritise efficient pedalling over potentially dealing with any drops.

Roadies problems.......

Sunny weather combined with lighter traffic due to the school holidays brings out all the wheel suckers on my commute, had to drop two of them buggers this morning..........

The problem I'm having as a morning rider is the sun is rising a little later each day again. Sun rises are now around 5:40-5:50am whereas they used to be closer to 5am. Hello darkness my old friend :(

danowat

Banned
The problem I'm having as a morning rider is the sun is rising a little later each day again. Sun rises are now around 5:40-5:50am whereas they used to be closer to 5am. Hello darkness my old friend :(

I'm quite lucky that I don't have to leave my house till 7:45am, so it's still light, infact, it stays light for me in the morning right until the depths of winter.

The ride home is different though, dark from when the clocks go back, wish they'd leave them at BST all year round.....

I'm quite lucky that I don't have to leave my house till 7:45am, so it's still light, infact, it stays light for me in the morning right until the depths of winter.

The ride home is different though, dark from when the clocks go back, wish they'd leave them at BST all year round.....

I have to leave for a train at 7:00 so I have to be out by 4:15/4:30 to provide me a comfortable amount of time.

Mascot

Your fork should be working for technical climbs. As for novelty, if you get out of the saddle on climbs, you're going to lose a lot of what you're putting in with the fork bobbing around.

Oh, I know all that. I only really climb out of the saddle on technical ascents. If I ever do leave the saddle on smother climbs it'll only be for a few strokes to air my plums.

Oh, and if you have the saddle set up at your perfect pedalling height, you probably wont be able to do that whole slide back thing properly (depends on geometry obviously). You need it about an inch off that height to be able to get away with it and not risk crashing if you bike takes a hit. Common sense says you do give yourself that extra amount of room, but if I'm doing an long distance event I'll prioritise efficient pedalling over potentially dealing with any drops.

My pedal height is correct but I do set my saddle forward slightly on the rails (just for feels, not for dismounting or anything). I'm in contact with the saddle for the whole time I'm sliding off the back of it so there's not a lot of margin for error (a baggy crotch would snag, for example) but I have no issue being able to do it.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that. Maybe I'm just lucky in not feeling the need for a dropper post, or maybe if i got one I'd wonder how I managed without it,

:p

I'd vote for Trump and Pol Pot's lovechild if this was his main campaign promise.

Mascot

Since crashes are this week's theme...

This fallen tree normally provides a nice little rideable obstacle on one of the trails, and if attacked with sufficient speed you can normally use your momentum to get over it without any problems.

log_zps5bjd8myg.jpg

You have to be careful because the back of the bike gets kicked up just as the nose is dropping, so you have to really keep the weight back and pull to keep the front up and avoid an endo.

log1_zpsie21cqem.jpg

Which I obviously got a bit wrong yesterday...

Bruised shoulder and torn palm on some newish gloves and no damage to the bike (it's a hard landing), but man did I feel silly.

What's the general feeling on trail obstacles? I've been on a few rides where a seemingly smooth, flowing trail has a man made object thrown in beit a small dirt bump or logs piling 4 feet tall as a cone.

Mascot

What's the general feeling on trail obstacles? I've been on a few rides where a seemingly smooth, flowing trail has a man made object thrown in beit a small dirt bump or logs piling 4 feet tall as a cone.

I love them, as long as they are obstacles and not obstructions. Ideally there'd be a route around them for people who aren't up to the task, but they do add challenge and variety. Fallen trees like the one I showed above are normally cleared pretty quickly by the forestry commission, but this one seems to have been ignored (thankfully!).

Down to the builders really, I'm of the belief that anything hard should have a chicken option (unless you're on a black trail obviously), but other than that it's fair game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone know of a proper bike rack that will actually fit on a Hyundai Veloster? I've looked at tons of different bike racks and all of them have had issues with the big hatchback door on the back of the Veloster. Some will fit but they're pushing the limits on things. Any recommendations? The only other thing I've looked into is paying several hundred dollars for getting a trailer hitch installed but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

The ones you're thinking of are shit. From looking at the car you wont be able to / wont want to fit roof bars, so your only real option for a decent rack is a tow bar / trailer hitch one.

HStallion

The ones you're thinking of are shit. From looking at the car you wont be able to / wont want to fit roof bars, so your only real option for a decent rack is a tow bar / trailer hitch one.

Yeah that's what the guys at the bike shop I go to were saying. They did some research for me and they had basically the same response. I've gone on some Hyundai forums to see what members there did and a few of them jury rigged some of the rear door mounted bike racks but a lot of them warned against it as it could damage the glass and was not recommended at all by the bike rack makers.

Well guess a hitch it is, didn't want to have to spend the money but I guess I might as well splurge.

Anyone know of a proper bike rack that will actually fit on a Hyundai Veloster? I've looked at tons of different bike racks and all of them have had issues with the big hatchback door on the back of the Veloster. Some will fit but they're pushing the limits on things. Any recommendations? The only other thing I've looked into is paying several hundred dollars for getting a trailer hitch installed but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I also have a hatchback,Fiesta ST, and tried the roof rack option and hated it looked at a couple of racks with straps to tie to the back, but I decided to go with a hitch, and while expensive, I much prefer it for ease and I like not having to remove the front tire.

HStallion

I also have a hatchback,Fiesta ST, and tried the roof rack option and hated it looked at a couple of racks with straps to tie to the back, but I decided to go with a hitch, and while expensive, I much prefer it for ease and I like not having to remove the front tire.

This is probably he route I'm going to go but was just seeing if there might be anything cheaper as an option.

danowat

Banned
If the weather stays reasonable this evening, I am going to attempt my first race in over a year, I'm not trained, but I miss it, so want to see if I can get back into it, I managed to squeeze into my speedsuit this morning, so that's a plus............

Hope my race bike still works!

Mascot

If the weather stays reasonable this evening, I am going to attempt my first race in over a year, I'm not trained, but I miss it, so want to see if I can get back into it, I managed to squeeze into my speedsuit this morning, so that's a plus............

Hope my race bike still works!

How do you manage to chunk up with your long daily cycle commute? I'd have thought you'd remain 5% body fat all year round..!

danowat

Banned
How do you manage to chunk up with your long daily cycle commute? I'd have thought you'd remain 5% body fat all year round..!

I have no problem!!!, I spent a large part of my life morbidly obese (peaked about 25 stone), lost about 11 stone ten years ago and leveled out, but my metabolism is fucked.

Mascot

I have no problem!!!, I spent a large part of my life morbidly obese (peaked about 25 stone), lost about 11 stone ten years ago and leveled out, but my metabolism is fucked.

I can sympathise with that. This was me last year:

c8553521cebd31589673e4b449fccb74.jpg

No it fucking isn't.

danowat

Banned
I can sympathise with that. This was me last year:

c8553521cebd31589673e4b449fccb74.jpg

No it fucking isn't.

Fair play to the guy in the pic for doing it, it's not easy once you've gone past a certain point.

Took me years, and I will suffer the affects for the rest of my life.

I just hope my performance tonight (If I go!) isn't too woeful, my usual 10 power is about 320-340w, so I might try to aim well down on this!!!

Mascot

All joking aside, I put weight on really easily if I don't exercise no matter how healthily I eat, and it's getting worse year-on-year as I progress through my forties. I'm about 180 lbs at the moment but there's definitely a fat man inside me struggling to get out.

danowat

Banned
All joking aside, I put weight on really easily if I don't exercise no matter how healthily I eat, and it's getting worse year-on-year as I progress through my forties. I'm about 180 lbs at the moment but there's definitely a fat man inside me struggling to get out.

Definately, I'm the same, getting old(er) sucks!

Top Bottom