• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

danowat

Banned
Always interesting to see the different bike setups in the tour when a TT is anything other than flat.

I remember being the only person to turn up to a local hilly TT on a full aero TT setup, everyone else was on road bikes and was told I was on the wrong bike and it would be a nightmare.

Let's just say they were wrong 😉

Just bought a cheapo zero offset seatpost and a 2cm longer stem. Gonna try moving the cockpit forwards to see if I can ride up hills better that way.

edit: for the road bike.

HTupolev

Any seat recommendations? My stock seat hurts lol
You should get a saddle. Seats aren't appropriate for upright bicycles. :p

As far as recommendations.. What saddle is appropriate depends on your physiology and posture on the bicycle. Kind of difficult to recommend particular models.

Also, don't be afraid of saddles that are somewhat firm. On a firm/hard/whatever saddle, the "sit bones" in your body contact the saddle and keep soft tissue from being compressed; on a soft saddle, the sit bones sink into the saddle, and although your sit bones are cushioned, your soft tissues will get squished. Firm saddles sometimes take a few rides to acclimate to, but very squishy saddles never stop being problematic no matter how many rides you put in on them.

Oh, and the other option...

...HTFU princess. :)

Seriously though, if you're not used to spending long periods cycling it doesn't matter what saddle you use, they'll all hurt.

The dilemma I'm having now is the padding in my bibs is took big for what I need. I need medium bibs, but a small chamois. I'm routinely ended up with bunching and I have to pull the bibs so tight the padding is like on my back.

HTupolev

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles...

Um5L0j6.png

teepo

i recently bought the castelli free aero bib using credit that would've expired by the end of the month and i had a little left over for a matching jersey. i have to say, i'm fucking impressed and this might now be my 2nd favorite kit after my lg course.

and also my lbs has a promotion where i can trade in any pair of clean bibs for $75 towards the assos s7 series of bibs. might as well...

Always interesting to see the different bike setups in the tour when a TT is anything other than flat.

I remember being the only person to turn up to a local hilly TT on a full aero TT setup, everyone else was on road bikes and was told I was on the wrong bike and it would be a nightmare.

Let's just say they were wrong ��

i do think a lot of the teams for today's course opted out of using their TT bikes and instead used their standard road bikes more suited for climbing with aero bar attachments, but yea, you are right. it is usually outright better in most situations save for the very extreme climbs

i'm sure a good number of riders would have aero bar attachments on all their bikes if given the opportunity, but alas, UCI doesn't allow it for good reason.

HTupolev

castelli free aero bib
i have to say, i'm fucking impressed and this might now be my 2nd favorite kit after my lg course.
Hopefully you got one of the magical good pairs where the stitching doesn't start falling apart in multiple places after a few rides.

Mine are wrecked after just one wash and less than 200 miles of use.

Had a pair of shorts where the pad split after two washes. Couldn't find the receipt though so I just bought another pair and then returned the broken one.
It's called a bottom bracket cable guide. :D
Figures it's something easy. I wasn't sure and didn't want to walk into a Portland LBS with a stupid question.

Sort of. They're not a component which uses a precise fit. One which isn't such a good match might require substantial kludging to make work.
Well, I guess I'll just hold onto the receipt this time.

trebbble

Interested in building up a mountain bike. Theoretically, could I use the components from a 2007 trek fx 7.1 and put them on a MTB frame with appropriate wheels/tires?

It's possible you could use some parts, like stems, bars, pedals, and potentially even parts of the drivetrain and brake line if you don't mind not having the latest and greatest.

Things like hubs, forks and potentially even seat posts may or may not fit depending on what you're coming from and what you're going to. Best to check diameters and spacing on whatever you're considering. A lot of standards are in flux these days.

My advice would be to bite the bullet and get modern parts for a modern frame. You don't have to go high end... Deore is good value for money. You'll get some additional benefits like added stiffness, better performance, and the ability to more easily transfer parts to other modern bikes if you want to change frames in the future.

Mascot

I used to live on a road like that, was fucking insane. One winter we watched as a garbage truck slid down the road... sideways.

Bloody hell - I've never seen so much snow!

Are these images just white screens for anyone else?

Speaking of clothing, I bought a pair of those supercheap Lixada Arsuxeo (great name) MTB shorts a few months ago, and they're absolutely brilliant. They're generally between £15-£20 a pair but I bought direct from China on eBay for around £10 delivered, so not much of a gamble (and they arrived within a week). They're made from a sort of heavyweight half-stretch semi-lycra fabric and and so blimmin' comfortable it's unbelievable. I've hammered them for 100 miles a week since April and they still look brand new. I thought they'd not be up to the job on first inspection but these buggers are much, much tougher than they look. The clasp above the fly looks inadequate for the job but so far it's been fine (it'd be easily replaced anyway). They shrug off dirt and rainwater too. Loaded with useful waterproof zip pockets as well. I'm mightily impressed. Got the sizing spot on too (I'm 34" waist and got the western 'large').

PT, I think you were looking for some lightweight waterproof summer shorts a while ago. These could be ideal - they're my go-to shorts now.

414R-u8OsxL._SY300_.jpg

danowat

Banned
i do think a lot of the teams for today's course opted out of using their TT bikes and instead used their standard road bikes more suited for climbing with aero bar attachments, but yea, you are right. it is usually outright better in most situations save for the very extreme climbs

i'm sure a good number of riders would have aero bar attachments on all their bikes if given the opportunity, but alas, UCI doesn't allow it for good reason.

I think it's all down to adaption, or the mental aspect of riding a bike you think you'll do better on.

If you can get the power out (adaption) on a TT bike, then a TT bike will always trump a road bike, even one with TT bars, aero is king.

There is also an issue with TT bikes wanted to go in a straight line, it's somewhat true, the geometry isn't idea for tight corners, but I've done plenty of courses with hairpin corners and never had too much trouble, obvious you can't corner like I used to in short circuit crits ;)

60359_477884366110_699341110_7227265_3324471_n_zps72b1595c.jpg

Mascot

Fucking google images. It seems to only temporarily create the image.

G+ used to be great for quick 'n' simple image hotlinking but they changed something a year or so ago which made it totally random and undependable. Images show for some people but not others and there doesn't seem to be any logic to it. I went back to rehosting through Photobucket. It's a minor PITA but still a PITA nevertheless.

As an aside, this short video found its way onto our company FB feed and it shows the surrounding area around here to give you all a better idea of the local sights and types of terrain. It's really rather pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn-fNuR3wn8

Mascot

Tan wall tyres are on the way back folks. I'm old-skool myself and normally love a bit a bit of retro but this fad needs to die in a fucking deep ditch.

p4pb12518143.jpg

Teggy

I've seen some cool sidewalls on road bike tires. I would love to get some green sidewalls to match my bike, that would be really cool. I don't know if any decent tires would have that option.

I've seen some cool sidewalls on road bike tires. I would love to get some green sidewalls to match my bike, that would be really cool. I don't know if any decent tires would have that option.

The problem is a lot of them have integrity issues. If you're referring to the ones continental do

danowat

Banned
Ehh, they just look naff to me, each to there own though!

I have a set of reflective sidewall Duranos that I use it the winter though.....

HTupolev

Then there's your problem! Trim colors have to be well-distributed and balanced; if not a big splash high up on the frame, you'll want decals, bottle cages, perhaps even saddle and/or handlebar tape to match those sidewalls.

Tan walls can sometimes be an exception (and certain shades of brown in other areas of the bike), although Mascot maybe won't agree. :p

Not that matching tan across the bike is a bad idea either!

Self plug:

:D

but I did wear a scarf under my helmet.
Nice!

That's an aggressive seat angle. C15 or C17? I tried to really like the C15, but I could never get myself totally comfortable on it. Either I could never get set or I'd be slammed by the longer (harder) nose.I may try a Toupe or Romin next year as my Aliante is good but that little nose bump can be a pain at times.

HTupolev

That's an aggressive seat angle. C15 or C17? I tried to really like the C15, but I could never get myself totally comfortable on it. Either I could never get set or I'd be slammed by the longer (harder) nose.I may try a Toupe or Romin next year as my Aliante is good but that little nose bump can be a pain at times.
It's a C15. The angle is mostly due to the photography and my phone camera being weird. The nose is actually near-perfectly level, although the rounded region at the back does go up a bit.

I do agree the design is a bit weird. More nose than useful, and the riveting on the back narrows too fast as it comes to the edges to allow for a half-decent upright posture. Works more or less fine in my track posture, but I'm not sure I'd want it on any other bike. In and of itself, the suspended material seems to make for a comfy surface.

I really enjoyed it for 20-30 miles but after that things can go anyway. I agree the suspend leather effect is nice and riding it without bibs was a pleasure. There's just such a weird design to it compared to other modern seats.

Top Bottom