• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Down on the south coast for a wedding. I really wish I was down here with my bike. Is lovely. Pretty much perfect cycling weather.

It is indeed. I'm wishing I went out at 7am though instead of working on the summerhouse roof - it'll be roasting at 2pm when I'll be heading out. Nice and cool in the woods though - it's the getting there where I'll cook.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It is indeed. I'm wishing I went out at 7am though instead of working on the summerhouse roof - it'll be roasting at 2pm when I'll be heading out. Nice and cool in the woods though - it's the getting there where I'll cook.

What does roasting mean to the English? 27C?

27c/80f is roasting?! It's currently 33/92 with it expected to go up to 35/96 while kicking at a whopping 41% humidity.

Been breaking in my new shoes this week. Took a solid 3-4 days of just wearing them to get them worked in but they're slowly getting to the point of my Giro Republics where they just go on like a good worn in sneaker. Loving the stiffer sole as I feel like I'm a bit more stabilized through the pedal stroke. Only thing bumming me out is the cleats are a bit more exposed than my Republics, but the republics also needed friggin shims just to fit on my A600s.
mvGETzu.jpg

teepo

you'll more than likely be able to fit 25mm tires since it has basically become a requirement for modern sport bikes

and as a owner of a aero frame, i have no complaints. my ridley noah sings brilliantly whenever i'm going over 17mph/27kmph and it's stiff as an ironing board on both climbs and sprints though i think my frame is specifically known for being extremely stiff.

Teggy

55 miles in 90+ degrees today. Pretty brutal but handled it better than my last ride of this length. I'll keep my long rides 50-60 for another week or two and hopefully see how I handle it under better temperature conditions.

Here's a little rural charm in the suburbs.

you'll more than likely be able to fit 25mm tires since it has basically become a requirement for modern sport bikes

and as a owner of a aero frame, i have no complaints. my ridley noah sings brilliantly whenever i'm going over 17mph/27kmph and it's stiff as an ironing board on both climbs and sprints though i think my frame is specifically known for being extremely stiff.

You are correct, people are saying 25c fits on that particular frame and even 28c might be possible. Which is looking more and more my choice, people are loving the new Felt AR frame.

Teggy

Hm, with heart rate data ridewithgps is telling me that I burned over 4200 calories on my ride, which is like 2x the basic estimate that Strava passed to myritnesspal. The graph looks ok, but the stats say I was in zone 5 for like 2.5 hours which seems kind of crazy. Maybe the heat did that but I certainly wasn't in zone 5 based on the traditional "can't hold a conversation" standard.

thomaser

Been breaking in my new shoes this week. Took a solid 3-4 days of just wearing them to get them worked in but they're slowly getting to the point of my Giro Republics where they just go on like a good worn in sneaker. [/IMG]

I bought two new pairs of shoes this spring, one mtb and one for racing, and had problems breaking in both. They felt stiff and cramped even after a couple of months. Then, after 4-500 kilometers with both bikes, I made my discovery: the stiff cardboard in the toe area was still there. In both pairs. Don't be stupid like me. Take out the cardboard.

ACE 1991

Hm, with heart rate data ridewithgps is telling me that I burned over 4200 calories on my ride, which is like 2x the basic estimate that Strava passed to myritnesspal. The graph looks ok, but the stats say I was in zone 5 for like 2.5 hours which seems kind of crazy. Maybe the heat did that but I certainly wasn't in zone 5 based on the traditional "can't hold a conversation" standard.

You definitely didn't burn 4200 calories on a 55 mile ride. Also, is that Allez? What year?

Mascot

I bought two new pairs of shoes this spring, one mtb and one for racing, and had problems breaking in both. They felt stiff and cramped even after a couple of months. Then, after 4-500 kilometers with both bikes, I made my discovery: the stiff cardboard in the toe area was still there. In both pairs. Don't be stupid like me. Take out the cardboard.
Sorry buddy, but I laughed my ass off reading that..!

:p

HTupolev

Strava stopped recording for some reason at the end of the group ride part of my ride today. I don't think I hit the stop button. Pocket-dialing? I dunno. Didn't notice until over 10 miles later.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

On the plus side, they were slow recovery miles anyway, and it's pretty clear from the data that I'm capable of teleportation, which is maybe kind of cool or something.

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

Calorie estimates are silly nonsense. You'd have to have way more data than these tools are being given to come up with something close, even if the formulas are good.

:D

Also, is that Allez? What year?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaix-sl4-sport/106477

Strava stopped recording for some reason at the end of the group ride part of my ride today. I don't think I hit the stop button. Pocket-dialing? I dunno. Didn't notice until over 10 miles later.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

On the plus side, they were slow recovery miles anyway, and it's pretty clear from the data that I'm capable of teleportation, which is maybe kind of cool or something.

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

I've tried recording two races on my Suunto, both times it crapped out. Never happens on regular rides. So I feel your pain.

Mascot

Changed my rear pads before yesterday's ride and forgot to bed them in properly. Oops. That could have been nasty at the first road junction.

Also re-pressured my front and rear shocks and had an awful moment when the rear shock totally deflated (still in the garage, thankfully). Turned out to be a sticky valve which I'd been stupidly running without a dust cap. Phew.

Did some hangage to celebrate.

hang_zpsmzzvumuf.jpg

Mascot

I know you roadies will be looking for the missing zero and PT will bemoan the absence of lost limbs, but I'm quite pleased with this week's effort off-road in high temperatures on a heavy FS mountain bike with knobbly tyres. Shame about Tuesday - I went to a talk by Linwood Barclay instead.

strava_zpsmsfnx917.png

Teggy

Changed my rear pads before yesterday's ride and forgot to bed them in properly. Oops. That could have been nasty at the first road junction.

Also re-pressured my front and rear shocks and had an awful moment when the rear shock totally deflated (still in the garage, thankfully). Turned out to be a sticky valve which I'd been stupidly running without a dust cap. Phew.

Did some hangage to celebrate.

hang_zpsmzzvumuf.jpg

Do people ever pass by when you are doing this and wonder if you are crazy? :)

Mascot

Do people ever pass by when you are doing this and wonder if you are crazy? :)

It's like these are my own private woods - I rarely see another soul in there (although while taking a piss today a dog walker teleported in right next to me on the second shake).

I know you roadies will be looking for the missing zero and PT will bemoan the absence of lost limbs, but I'm quite pleased with this week's effort off-road in high temperatures on a heavy FS mountain bike with knobbly tyres. Shame about Tuesday - I went to a talk by Linwood Barclay instead.

strava_zpsmsfnx917.png

Looks like a single day to me buddy. ;)

But yeah, I'm jealous. I need to get my life to a place where I could do something like that over a week.

Mascot

Looks like a single day to me buddy. ;)

But yeah, I'm jealous. I need to get my life to a place where I could do something like that over a week.

If it makes you feel any better I rode through some trail-hugging brambles today and thought I'd picked up a thorn. Closer inspection revealed a big-ass wasp sting-fucking my arm like a venomous jackrabbit.

2277_13157_w450.jpg

Mascot

Related, a lot of my regular trails I wont do without full sleeve and full finger gloves now. Insane amount of brambles and nettles.

Yeah, the mild spring and wet summer is to blame. My route into the quarry is impassable right now. Totally overgrown with nettles and brambles, as I found to my terror a week or so ago when riding along the path at speed. Took me two seconds to get in there and ten minutes to get out. Cut to bloody ribbons..! I keep meaning to get back there with the rechargeable hedge trimmers and clear a path. I'll take the chainsaw too and get rid of a couple of big fallen trees that are blocking the trails in a couple of places, necessitating a dismount. Actually, scratch that - I'll chop up some nearby logs and build some nice little hop-ups so I can ride over the top of them.

There's one trail I'm going to head over to with my industrial petrol strimmer. It's not been touched in years and eventually it's going to get reclaimed.

It's a C15. The angle is mostly due to the photography and my phone camera being weird. The nose is actually near-perfectly level, although the rounded region at the back does go up a bit.

I do agree the design is a bit weird. More nose than useful, and the riveting on the back narrows too fast as it comes to the edges to allow for a half-decent upright posture. Works more or less fine in my track posture, but I'm not sure I'd want it on any other bike. In and of itself, the suspended material seems to make for a comfy surface.

Threw it back on for a ride today and all was good but I forgot the nose rubs my thighs and pulls on the fabric. I tried sanding it down but it still has enough hang to pull on the pant fabric. I didn't notice till the end the number it did on my shorts.

Draper

It's a fairly high end Specialized so will perform well. Meant for riding long distances in comfort, but for a beginner it's more than enough bike for any kind of road riding.

Hm, maybe it's a tad overkill for a new rider like myself.

What are your views on options like an electronic drivetrain and disc brakes?

Holy shit, bought a bike from Halfords for my nephew and they didn't even manage to put the rear wheel in properly (it was half out of one of the dropouts).

This aside from the obvious things such as the gears not changing properly, brakes rubbing, handlebars off line, stem not tightened evenly and ridiculous pressure in the fork and tyres.

Electronic shifting is hella cool but not needed. Also expensive, so if there's a budget I'd start downgrading there.

Disc brakes are great for bad weather, gravel and coming down mountains. They're heavier though. Road hydraulic is the best but expensive. Mechanical disc brakes are cheap, but often need constant adjusting, unlike hydraulics and caliper brakes. Basically get disc (and enough clearance for bigger tyres) if you want to venture off tarmac.

Terrible builds happen here too with alarming regularity. It's crazy, the bike boom has brought quality bike to places where people without any of the skills necessary for a safe build are bolting the bikes together.

On the bright side, looking at you it appears that you wouldn't have broken anything.

Oh, and don't try to brake when you're going to hit animals. Get your weight back the same way that you would if you were having the front wheel go over rocks. ;)

Teggy

So hit a woodchuck (/groundhog) going 28 mph. 3 hours in the ER and 10 stitches on the chin later, doing alright. Moral of the story, watch out for wildlife...

Psycho would have at least gotten a broken bone out that, but good effort.

JK, of course, hope you heal up quickly.

Draper

Electronic shifting is hella cool but not needed. Also expensive, so if there's a budget I'd start downgrading there.

Disc brakes are great for bad weather, gravel and coming down mountains. They're heavier though. Road hydraulic is the best but expensive. Mechanical disc brakes are cheap, but often need constant adjusting, unlike hydraulics and caliper brakes. Basically get disc (and enough clearance for bigger tyres) if you want to venture off tarmac.

Appreciate the info!

Decisions, decisions...

Appreciate the info!

Decisions, decisions...

I have an older Roubaix (~2005 frame) that I just swapped out all the old Ultegra/105 parts for new Ultegra parts (front right shifter ate it in a crash, couldn't find replacement parts) and a new Shimano wheelset. Been riding it for over a decade all over southern California and now Maine. My wife has a 2014 Roubaix with SRAM kit. Both going strong and no real complaints. We ride recreationally in heavily hilled areas, sometimes longish distances. No racing.

Draper

I have an older Roubaix (~2005 frame) that I just swapped out all the old Ultegra/105 parts for new Ultegra parts (front right shifter ate it in a crash, couldn't find replacement parts) and a new Shimano wheelset. Been riding it for over a decade all over southern California and now Maine. My wife has a 2014 Roubaix with SRAM kit. Both going strong and no real complaints. We ride recreationally in heavily hilled areas, sometimes longish distances. No racing.

Also valuable input, thanks!

Man, I can't decide, there's so many variations of components.

Guess I'll keep doing research

-SG

Also valuable input, thanks!

Man, I can't decide, there's so many variations of components.

Guess I'll keep doing research

I'll chime in with my two cents. As a novice rider coming off of a vintage steel framed road beast, I did plenty of research before buying my Tarmac last year and settled on the 105 groupset being the right balance of performance and cost (for me). Aside from some smaller nuances, the latest iterations of 105, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace are more or less functionally the same. I figured that rather than pay a premium for weight savings and bling-factor, the 105 would be more than enough for me. After all, I was a noob and didn't want to be unnecessarily "overbiked".

After a year on my bike, I can say for sure that the 105 equipped bike was the right choice for me. I haven't had any issues with the groupset and the bike rides like a dream. Having said that, I have already upgraded the wheels, saddle, crankset, cassette, and front derailleur just because I could. Nothing was wrong with the stock bike, but like most hobbies, once you start obsessing over something, you tend to start spending more money than you originally planned for. I quickly found myself looking at upgrades I didn't need and spent more money upgrading the bike than if I had simply purchased the higher end model from the get go. However, I certainly don't regret any of them and look at it as money well spent. I'm sure that if I did start with a pricier bike, I would have found a reason to upgrade it all the same.

TL;DR: If you're serious about cycling and know that it's a hobby you will stick with, buy the bike you can afford. You're going to spend the money anyway.

Draper

I'll chime in with my two cents. As a novice rider coming off of a vintage steel framed road beast, I did plenty of research before buying my Tarmac last year and settled on the 105 groupset being the right balance of performance and cost (for me). Aside from some smaller nuances, the latest iterations of 105, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace are more or less functionally the same. I figured that rather than pay a premium for weight savings and bling-factor, the 105 would be more than enough for me. After all, I was a noob and didn't want to be unnecessarily "overbiked".

After a year on my bike, I can say for sure that the 105 equipped bike was the right choice for me. I haven't had any issues with the groupset and the bike rides like a dream. Having said that, I have already upgraded the wheels, saddle, crankset, cassette, and front derailleur just because I could. Nothing was wrong with the stock bike, but like most hobbies, once you start obsessing over something, you tend to start spending more money than you originally planned for. I quickly found myself looking at upgrades I didn't need and spent more money upgrading the bike than if I had simply purchased the higher end model from the get go. However, I certainly don't regret any of them and look at it as money well spent. I'm sure that if I did start with a pricier bike, I would have found a reason to upgrade it all the same.

TL;DR: If you're serious about cycling and know that it's a hobby you will stick with, buy the bike you can afford. You're going to spend the money anyway.

Love it. Thanks for sharing. And man, the Tarmac models looks pretty sweet too...so many models. Many of which I can't tell the differences between...god I'm uninformed.

Teggy

Love it. Thanks for sharing. And man, the Tarmac models looks pretty sweet too...so many models. Many of which I can't tell the differences between...god I'm uninformed.

Tarmac has a race geometry and the highest level ones are used by the pros and Roubaix has an endurance geometry (more upright position but less responsive turning) and has some vibration dampening features. There's also the Allez, which is their aluminum race bike model, so less expensive.

Most of the brands have these kinds of categories. For Trek it's Emonda/Madone, Domane and 1 series respectively.

I just recently bought a Roubaix, an SL4 which is about $1K less than the one you were looking at. I would definitely go into a good bike store if you have one near you so you can look at the bikes and get on them.

Had my biggest wipeout today. Had been riding a section of trail with a little drop and then a sharp left turn, and got a bit overconfident after a few tries and hit it with lots of speed, next thing I know I'm flying superman over the bars. Luckily the logs helped me stick the landing, lol.

Luckily no real injuries, just the wind knocked out of me and the right side of my body hurts a little. Stay safe, and wear a helmet guys! Besides the heat and humidity, the trails were awesome. Not bad for most of them being underwater for like 2 months.

20160724_192036_HDR_zpsuyl7rsst.jpg

20160724_193136_HDR_zpsitcqzdu2.jpg

Draper

Tarmac has a race geometry and the highest level ones are used by the pros and Roubaix has an endurance geometry (more upright position but less responsive turning) and has some vibration dampening features. There's also the Allez, which is their aluminum race bike model, so less expensive.

Most of the brands have these kinds of categories. For Trek it's Emonda/Madone, Domane and 1 series respectively.

I just recently bought a Roubaix, an SL4 which is about $1K less than the one you were looking at. I would definitely go into a good bike store if you have one near you so you can look at the bikes and get on them.

Hm, I won't be doing any races anytime soon, so maybe a Roubaix is better suited for me as a hobbyist/for exercise? I definitely intend to stop into a few places this week. How are you liking your model?

Top Bottom