• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

cbox

Went to check out the TCR and and Defy. I think I'm leaning towards the Defy Comp right now but I want to wait until they get the 2012's in over the next couple weeks. I also spotted the Specialized Roubaix Comp, I won't lie I really dig it although I think it's more aggressive than I want...

We also got talking a bit more about the Spcialized McLaren Venge. I'd love to ride one of these, just to see what it's like. I just need to come up with the $18,000. It really is something though.

I love my defy - after 200km I wasn't sore at all, very comfy bike.

Fixed1979

The Roubaix is like the Defy; both endurance bikes. Specialized showed us the test videos of the Zert inserts on the Roubaix. They make a big difference in comfort. The flexing was very clear without them.

-What are you going to use the bike for?
-Do you have a cycling, or athletic/sports background?

It was the first time I've heard or seen the Zerts, pretty neat tech. The guy at the sports shop I go to had a lot of good things to say about it and one of the reasons I was actually looking at the Roubaix.

I'll probably be using the bike for group rides and solo highway riding (we don't really have anywhere in town to ride road bikes). No racing or competition, I have a couple cycling friends that do some racing (casually) and might try it out sometime but that'll be at least a 2-3 years down the line.

No cycling background, I got into MTB biking a couple years back and enjoy it but it's really only made me more interested in road. I did play a lot of sports but now it's pretty much the occasional ski and beer league goaltending in the winter and golf and MTB biking in the summer. The winters up here are long, we probably have another 1-2 months left before it's actually spring so I was looking to get into some spin classes to try to get ready for the summer as winter laziness has not been kind to my weight.

Kraftwerk

It was the first time I've heard or seen the Zerts, pretty neat tech. The guy at the sports shop I go to had a lot of good things to say about it and one of the reasons I was actually looking at the Roubaix.

I'll probably be using the bike for group rides and solo highway riding (we don't really have anywhere in town to ride road bikes). No racing or competition, I have a couple cycling friends that do some racing (casually) and might try it out sometime but that'll be at least a 2-3 years down the line.

No cycling background, I got into MTB biking a couple years back and enjoy it but it's really only made me more interested in road. I did play a lot of sports but now it's pretty much the occasional ski and beer league goaltending in the winter and golf and MTB biking in the summer. The winters up here are long, we probably have another 1-2 months left before it's actually spring so I was looking to get into some spin classes to try to get ready for the summer as winter laziness has not been kind to my weight.

Cool. The reason I ask is the geometry. The geometry on the TCR/Tarmac/Venge will be more aggressive than the Defy/Roubaix. If you are just getting into road cycling, and will mainly be doing group rides and with friends then the Defy/Roubaix is perfect.

If you don't mind telling me your budget, I could help you with picking one from each series. Better bang for the buck etc..

Fixed1979

Cool. The reason I ask is the geometry. The geometry on the TCR/Tarmac/Venge will be more aggressive than the Defy/Roubaix. If you are just getting into road cycling, and will mainly be doing group rides and with friends then the Defy/Roubaix is perfect.

If you don't mind telling me your budget, I could help you with picking one from each series. Better bang for the buck etc..

For sure that would be awesome. I do have some faith in "my bike guy" but at the same time he is trying to make money off me and I'm sure he'd happily oversell me if I let him.

Going into this I've been floating the $1,800 number in my head which I expect to get me into a good entry level aluminum frame. Just quickly browsing I can see that getting into the composite version of these bikes it's moving into $2,800 which isn't out of the question but it would certainly be the absolute peak. I'm just not 100% sure if comp will actually do anything for me, but at the same time in 2-3 years I don't want to look back and wish I bought comp. I really want to pay a bit more attention than I did with my MTB, I love the thing and don't regret my purchase but I pretty much walked in with my budget and picked the one that caught my eye.

Kraftwerk

For sure that would be awesome. I do have some faith in "my bike guy" but at the same time he is trying to make money off me and I'm sure he'd happily oversell me if I let him.

Going into this I've been floating the $1,800 number in my head which I expect to get me into a good entry level aluminum frame. Just quickly browsing I can see that getting into the composite version of these bikes it's moving into $2,800 which isn't out of the question but it would certainly be the absolute peak. I'm just not 100% sure if comp will actually do anything for me, but at the same time in 2-3 years I don't want to look back and wish I bought comp. I really want to pay a bit more attention than I did with my MTB, I love the thing and don't regret my purchase but I pretty much walked in with my budget and picked the one that caught my eye.

Since you are going endurance, definitely give carbon a second thought. It will really help in the overall experience. Both GIant and Specialized have the bikes you are looking at in the $2000 range with a carbon/composite frame.

A lot of other industries are beginning to use more and more carbon, so it will definitely get more expensive down the line.

A carbon frame is also more 'full-proof'. It does not fatigue, so ride quality will never diminish. And as you get more into it, you can upgrade components, instead buying a whole new carbon bike.

Aluminium is not bad at all, it is actually pretty great. Giant makes some super light aluminium frame which are comfortable. I'm just trying to show you the benefits of carbon.

If this bike is going to be a commuter, with one or two rides a month, aluminium will do just fine.

If it is going to be your road bike, which you will put a lot of miles on, carbon is a very good investment. Great re-sale value too.

Fixed1979

Since you are going endurance, definitely give carbon a second thought. It will really help in the overall experience. Both GIant and Specialized have the bikes you are looking at in the $2000 range with a carbon/composite frame.

A lot of other industries are beginning to use more and more carbon, so it will definitely get more expensive down the line.

A carbon frame is also more 'full-proof'. It does not fatigue, so ride quality will never diminish. And as you get more into it, you can upgrade components, instead buying a whole new carbon bike.

Aluminium is not bad at all, it is actually pretty great. Giant makes some super light aluminium frame which are comfortable. I'm just trying to show you the benefits of carbon.

If this bike is going to be a commuter, with one or two rides a month, aluminium will do just fine.

If it is going to be your road bike, which you will put a lot of miles on, carbon is a very good investment. Great re-sale value too.

I'm shooting for 4-5 rides per week (road + MTB), realistically I can see me averaging closer to 2-3 per week throughout the entire summer but I'm going to give it my damnedest.

So assuming carbon is the route to take I can probably expect between $2,500 and $3,000 regardless of whether it's a Giant or a Specialized? Am I going to miss anything significant by jumping into the "bottom end" of carbon bikes?

Kraftwerk

I'm shooting for 4-5 rides per week (road + MTB), realistically I can see me averaging closer to 2-3 per week throughout the entire summer but I'm going to give it my damnedest.

So assuming carbon is the route to take I can probably expect between $2,500 and $3,000 regardless of whether it's a Giant or a Specialized? Am I going to miss anything significant by jumping into the "bottom end" of carbon bikes?

With giant you do get better pricing, since they own their own manufacturing plants, and Giant is the biggest bike company in the world, and produces carbon and aluminium for many other industries.

In regards to the bottom end of carbon bikes; you will not get the top components. If $2800 is the peak you want to spend, get the Defy Composite 2. Comes with the ULTEGRA groupset, and for $2400-ish, it is a crazy fucking deal.

Besides all of this, one factor remains, which is the most important one: Test Rides.

Definitely try them out. Who knows, you might hate the Defy Comp 2.

Fixed1979

With giant you do get better pricing, since they own their own manufacturing plants, and Giant is the biggest bike company in the world, and produces carbon and aluminium for many other industries.

In regards to the bottom end of carbon bikes; you will not get the top components. If $2800 is the peak you want to spend, get the Defy Composite 2. Comes with the ULTEGRA groupset, and for $2400-ish, it is a crazy fucking deal.

Besides all of this, one factor remains, which is the most important one: Test Rides.

Definitely try them out. Who knows, you might hate the Defy Comp 2.

The US site shows the Comp 2 as using all SRAM components.

I'll have to check on the Comp 2 as it's not listed on the Canadian website (should have maybe mentioned that). They only have the 1 and the 3 listed there for comp. I'd have to go Defy Adv 2 (which is hot as hell but also over budget) or the Defy Comp 1 for the ULTEGRA components.

Is RideSense new? It's pretty awesome to have the sensor built in from factory.

Kraftwerk

The US site shows the Comp 2 as using all SRAM components.

I'll have to check on the Comp 2 as it's not listed on the Canadian website (should have maybe mentioned that). They only have the 1 and the 3 listed there for comp. I'd have to go Defy Adv 2 (which is hot as hell but also over budget) or the Defy Comp 1 for the ULTEGRA components.

Is RideSense new? It's pretty awesome to have the sensor built in from factory.

Where do you live in Canada? Maybe you can come to our store(s) :D

Fixed1979

GEARS. We have three locations; Mississauga, Toronto and Oakville. I work in the Toronto (Leaside) location.

;)

Nice site, unfortunately you're a bit outside of my commute area. I would love to have something like this available near me (lessons, clinics, training, groups, etc). There's one place in town that sells bikes better than the generic CCM stuff and it's pretty much "here's your bike good luck". These are the times when northern living feels even more isolated.

cbox

aye, same with me - just a bit outside my regular commute but I can come by on weekends. I have a bike shop near me, but they close at 7pm... I get home at 7pm damnit! :(

Discusguy

I got into mountain biking last august. I ended up buying a 2011 specialized camber 29er full suspension. The bike had the color scheme I wanted and the price was so good I couldn't walk away. It $1500 out the door. There are pretty good downhill and technical courses around here. I think I'll be good for 6 Years at least before I need to upgrade my bike. I ride mostly for fun and fitness and I either keep up or beat others guys I ride with that have carbon bikes. A lot of people think my bike is heavy at 31lbs but I think it's perfect for the type of riding I like to do.

CFMOORE!

Kraft, I am looking for a single speed bike with drop handle bars and typical road bike geometry as I did some riding with my friend in downtown la this past weekend and i feel like my fairly nice (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/2_and_1_series/2_1#) is a bit overkill.

I hate fixed gear hipster bikes so I want one that looks like a typical road bike just without all the frills I won't need for the small city riding she and I will do from time to time around the downtown area.

Suggestions?

Kraftwerk

Kraft, I am looking for a single speed bike with drop handle bars and typical road bike geometry as I did some riding with my friend in downtown la this past weekend and i feel like my fairly nice (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/2_and_1_series/2_1#) is a bit overkill.

I hate fixed gear hipster bikes so I want one that looks like a typical road bike just without all the frills I won't need for the small city riding she and I will do from time to time around the downtown area.

Suggestions?

Where do you live, and budget?

Kraftwerk

i live in LA. Budget, for something in the no frills department but nice, I'll go up to like $800 or so I suppose.

My favorite bike in that price range is the All City Nature Boy. It is a single speed road/cyclocross bike. You can use it to commute, tour, race, ride on gravel and through winter. The perfect workhorse.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cyclocross-Bikes/All-City-Nature-Boy-Complete-Bike

Steel frame, so it absorbs for a nice and smooth ride, and tough as hell.

CFMOORE!

My favorite bike in that price range is the All City Nature Boy. It is a single speed road/cyclocross bike. You can use it to commute, tour, race, ride on gravel and through winter. The perfect workhorse.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cyclocross-Bikes/All-City-Nature-Boy-Complete-Bike

Steel frame, so it absorbs for a nice and smooth ride, and tough as hell.

hmm, interesting. i like it. got any other suggestions? that is in a price range I am wholly comfortable paying. But if I wanted to save a maybe $150 to $200 more, what would you suggest?

And, can I paypal you money and you get me a discount on anything you might have at your store ;)

Kraftwerk

hmm, interesting. i like it. got any other suggestions? that is in a price range I am wholly comfortable paying. But if I wanted to save a maybe $150 to $200 more, what would you suggest?

And, can I paypal you money and you get me a discount on anything you might have at your store ;)

Raleigh U.S.A has the Rush Hour and the Furly. Not sure how much they go for in the U.S.

The Nature Boy would be my top choice, specially if you are comfortable with the price. There are tons of other single speeds I can recommend, but most are flat bars, or have no brakes.

Sadly Canada is one of the most expensive places to buy bikes. On top of shipping, and normal tax which is 13%, there is another 13-15% duty on bikes. Pure bullshit.

Word is that bike prices are going to go up by 30% come 2013. Due to rising costs in Asia and the mess that is the Euro and the Dollar. Carbon bikes will go noticeably higher as I stated earlier.

CFMOORE!

Raleigh U.S.A has the Rush Hour and the Furly. Not sure how much they go for in the U.S.

The Nature Boy would be my top choice, specially if you are comfortable with the price. There are tons of other single speeds I can recommend, but most are flat bars, or have no brakes.

Sadly Canada is one of the most expensive places to buy bikes. On top of shipping, and normal tax which is 13%, there is another 13-15% duty on bikes. Pure bullshit.

Word is that bike prices are going to go up by 30% come 2013. Due to rising costs in Asia and the mess that is the Euro and the Dollar. Carbon bikes will go noticeably higher as I stated earlier.

wow at those canadian taxes! hmm, I will give some strong thought to what you have suggested! Much appreciated!

I hate those flat bar bikes. I am not even like super crazy hardcore cycle guy, but living in LA you see thousands of hipsters on their bikes with handlebars that only offer enough space for their two hands to fit. that whole scene annoys the shit out of me.

**EDIT:

After looking at the raleigh site, something like this (http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/clubman-12/) appeals to my aesthetics side very much, I suppose it wouldn't need to be a single speed, do you know of any other bikes with looks similar to this? I guess the thing that would be really nice in a functional and aesthetically cool bike would be the brown wrap on that handlebars, brown leather seat and a nice complementary colored frame. My Trek is just so much of a pro looking road/race bike, I want something to counter it a little.

ameratsu

Update us when you get a chance, I came in here to ask about these two exact bikes. I want something to compliment my mountain bike and to be used strictly for riding (no commuting), the faster the better. I was leaning towards the TCR but I'm worried I might find it too uncomfortable having pretty much no experience on road bikes.

Sorry for the late response as I was on vacation, but unfortunately I have nothing to update at the moment.

Local shop is holding a 2011 TCR 1 (aluminum frame) in my size for an overnight test ride once the ice melts. They are still putting together the 2012 Giants, but I will update when I try them both. Will probably be another 1 or 2 weeks.

Kraftwerk

wow at those canadian taxes! hmm, I will give some strong thought to what you have suggested! Much appreciated!

I hate those flat bar bikes. I am not even like super crazy hardcore cycle guy, but living in LA you see thousands of hipsters on their bikes with handlebars that only offer enough space for their two hands to fit. that whole scene annoys the shit out of me.

**EDIT:

After looking at the raleigh site, something like this (http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/clubman-12/) appeals to my aesthetics side very much, I suppose it wouldn't need to be a single speed, do you know of any other bikes with looks similar to this? I guess the thing that would be really nice in a functional and aesthetically cool bike would be the brown wrap on that handlebars, brown leather seat and a nice complementary colored frame. My Trek is just so much of a pro looking road/race bike, I want something to counter it a little.

I have ridden the Clubman. Great bike. My buddy has one, and he used it to tour around Canada. He loves it.

The Clubman, and bikes similar to it will usually cost you more tho. The CInelli Gazzetta Della Strada is a great one too. I will look in the catalogue tomorrow to find you some similar looking bikes at a lower price.

CFMOORE!

I have ridden the Clubman. Great bike. My buddy has one, and he used it to tour around Canada. He loves it.

The Clubman, and bikes similar to it will usually cost you more tho. The CInelli Gazzetta Della Strada is a great one too. I will look in the catalogue tomorrow to find you some similar looking bikes at a lower price.

thank you, kind Sir!

I've really lost my zeal for cycling after the my big fall last year. I've tried to get it back, but I just can't do the large miles anymore. It's real sad. (Not helpful that I live in one of the shittiest cities in the world to ride a bike.)

CFMOORE!

He will want gears in LA.

i actually specifically requested a single speed bike for the downtown darting my friend and I will be doing. I already have a fairly great road bike. i understand how my request might lend itself to needing gears, but she and I plan to just restaurant and bar hop all around the downtown area once or twice a month and anything more than a single speed I feel is a bit overkill.

I don't want to have to worry too much about locking up an expensive race bike in downtown as well. Though Kraft has expensive taste :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i actually specifically requested a single speed bike for the downtown darting my friend and I will be doing. I already have a fairly great road bike. i understand how my request might lend itself to needing gears, but she and I plan to just restaurant and bar hop all around the downtown area once or twice a month and anything more than a single speed I feel is a bit overkill.

I don't want to have to worry too much about locking up an expensive race bike in downtown as well. Though Kraft has expensive taste :)

Gotcha. I read your list of activities and mapped it to my knowledge of LA. But there are lots of low ratio bikes too.

andycapps

I know you're probably gettings great recommendations from Kraftwerk, who is a lot more knowledgable than me.. But, I have one of these that's been heavily modified, and it's a great bike. I think they go for about $400 new. It's a Torker U-District. I got mine for $150 on Craigslist, but that depends on your area and how popular single speeds are.

They've changed the paint on it quite a bit. Mine is all black with yellow decals. Changed the grips from the dude before me that had mud-flap girls on them to some matching yellow ones.

U_District_013-thumb_593.jpg

Toe clips make me nervous, why not cleats? They took me awhile to get used to on MTB but I will never use anything else now.

Cleats are my next step really. I don't ride enough for me to justify them at the moment, but probably once the weather's totally settled into spring, I'll probably start looking into a pair.

And my bike too is also a Torker U-District. I just had the bike shop strip off the logos so it's just that plain charcoal grey color and swap the flat bars for drop bars.

Kraftwerk

My New Bike :

Will train HARD with it.

Have a pair of ENVE wheels to put on it. I shall fly!

SIFYv.jpg

Will post real pics when it arrives.

Fixed1979

My New Bike :

Will train HARD with it.

Have a pair of ENVE wheels to put on it. I shall fly!

SIFYv.jpg

Will post real pics when it arrives.

Nice pick-up, congrats! I'm assuming you race competitively?

Does anyone have any experience with bike trails in Alberta or BC, I was thinking about bailing out this summer for a few days and just exploring some trails or depending on how comfortable I get with a new road bike just running through Banff or Jasper

EDIT: looking at the pics from the previous page makes me tingly...why the fuck is it still winter here!

EDIT2: Anyone have much experience with the GoPro? If I do take a little bike vacation it might be fun to have one attached.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I think I want a 29'er mountain bike now.

cbox

Anyone trust this type of mount for their bikes? I'm trying to find a good one that isn't too huge cause I don't have anymore room on my bars. I've seen so many hideous ones, ones with bags, etc. I just want to be able to mount my iphone 4 with case to my bike as I only ride on nice days.

Landed on these ones,

Type 1

Type 2

@Kraft - SO JELLY!

Get'sMad

Need to take my roadie Cannondale in to get a much needed tune up. Weather has been amazing and I've been itching to get out for a ride the last few days.

mf.luder

Work was $150 to bring my bike up into 'great' riding condition. Rode it the other day and loved to be back on the road. Legs were burning after a short ride; long way to go haha.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I had a Trek 1.1 road bike that I bought after I got into MTBing but could no longer make it to the trails as easily. I have since sold it, because of financial issues and needed the extra cash.

My mountain bike isn't anything special... it's pretty old and a hard tail. The front fork/suspension is almost none existant so it was almost like riding a fully rigid bike on the trails. I have some pretty knobby 2.1 or something tires on it and have just ordered some smootbh 1.95 inchers so I can take it on the pavement with less of a struggle. I figure the added resistance of a thicker-than-a-road-bike-tire will help me in my burst back into the fitness field.

I reached a slump and I have had enough of it. I've been in the gym for the past month and a half but now that the weather is improving I neeeed to be outside. Running destroys my shins so... MTB with smooth tires it is for now... until I can afford to spend the money on another road bike!

ameratsu

Here is my ride for the weekend. Shop basically gave it to me and said "see you on tuesday, let us know what you think". Haven't adjusted the seatpost or anything yet, impressions to follow.

9Qz3Jl.jpg

BTW -- it's an aluminum frame.

I cannot express how wonderful of a bike the Clubman is. The Reynolds 520 frame is supple and really well built. The frame geometry also puts the hands in a really comfortable position for long rides. Combine that with a really wide gear range, Tiagra components, and a Brooks saddle and you have an amazing bike that will make going on long rides a thing of joy.

CFMOORE!

Here is my ride for the weekend. Shop basically gave it to me and said "see you on tuesday, let us know what you think". Haven't adjusted the seatpost or anything yet, impressions to follow.

9Qz3Jl.jpg

nice, looks like my trek in its coloring. so they're letting you ride it a few days before deciding?

I cannot express how wonderful of a bike the Clubman is. The Reynolds 520 frame is supple and really well built. The frame geometry also puts the hands in a really comfortable position for long rides. Combine that with a really wide gear range, Tiagra components, and a Brooks saddle and you have an amazing bike that will make going on long rides a thing of joy.

man, i really want something!! decisions!

nice, looks like my trek in its coloring. so they're letting you ride it a few days before deciding?

man, i really want something!! decisions!

Well, as Someone who ran a bike shop for seven years, let me ask you some questions to see if we can help you narrow it down a bit:

Why do you want a bike? How to picture yourself using it? What are your goals on the bike? Do you want to get involved in racing? Charity rides? Do you see yourself wanting to upgrade to a new bike soon or is this a long term purchase? How flexible are you?

On a scale of 1-10 rate the following in order of importance:

Speed
Comfort

CFMOORE!

Well, as Someone who ran a bike shop for seven years, let me ask you some questions to see if we can help you narrow it down a bit:

Why do you want a bike? How to picture yourself using it? What are your goals on the bike? Do you want to get involved in racing? Charity rides? Do you see yourself wanting to upgrade to a new bike soon or is this a long term purchase? How flexible are you?

On a scale of 1-10 rate the following in order of importance:

Speed
Comfort

I have this already:

item-1267692340.jpg

i just want something simple actually for darting around relatively flat surface streets. I want something that fits the aesthetics of a simple/old school bike with less frills, though some can be nice.

ameratsu

Yeah I expressed interest in taking it overnight, but when I went to pick it up today they had no problem letting me ride it until tuesday. Don't think I could ask for a better shop.

Fugu

Hey guys.

I bike a fair amount (~60k on an average day maybe, I commute) and my bike is a piece of shit. I'm in Toronto -- which, if this page is any indication -- probably bodes well for me -- so I'm mostly biking on roads. I'm wondering if there's any sort of recommendation people can give me for an investment that I can make for like, under $500 that will be worthwhile. The budget is pretty tight due to the fact that I'm a student and I have to pay for that before anything else, so I suppose I'm also asking if it's even justifiable to spend any money unless I can save more.

Animal

Banned

9Qz3Jl.jpg

I bought this exact bike last summer. I've put 300km of outdoor biking and probably 2000 more on a trainer during the winter. Its a sweet spot bang4buck for beginners or low budget.

So far I love it. Solid. The only thing that I don't like is the saddle it came with but that is a very personnal thing. I am currently looking for a replacement.

MAINTENANCE QUESTION:

I have a problem with the bar tape on my road bike. It keeps coming off, like every week. I put it on perfectly, got a friend to try, even the mechanic at the bike shop had a go. After 2-3 rides it starts to untangle itself, always on same side.

This is something I should only be changing once a year at the most, currently I'm going through a 2 rolls of bar tape a week.

Any thoughts Bicycle-GAF?

Top Bottom