• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Teggy

I washed my bike today. For comparison, one of my cars is now over 5 years old and I have never washed it even once.

I need to learn how to put my rear wheel back on more easily, though. I always see people just snapping the thing in place but I fumble horribly.

teepo

i've had my car for nearly a decade and i've yet to wash it yet i wash my bike monthly :D

and the trick is to just push down on the rear derailleur while dislodging and putting the wheel back in place. it's more of a matter of comfort and familiarity more so than anything else. you'll eventually get there

There's a cat 5 criterium downtown here later today. Almost got convinced to try until I saw anyone could participate, meaning I'd be racing 18 year olds and up.

Oh and the accidents, can't forget those.

Mascot

Have you ridden your new bike yet, PT? You've been suspiciously quiet in the past couple of weeks. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks you must be planning to use it in a heist, or something.

Edit: fucking awesome ride just now by the GB Jimmettes, smashed the WR out of the velodrome..!

HTupolev

Consumed oceans of water so that my weight was around 170lbs at the start of the ride today. Upon concluding the century, despite my mid-ride water-gulping efforts, I was at 160lbs.

o_O

D:

Teggy

I went in to talk saddles today. They did a full refit first and wound up raising the seatpost, leveling out the saddle and pulling it forward. No idea why is was so screwed up during the original fitting.

The guy measured my butt, and from a Specialized standpoint I should have a 155mm seat in the "black" saddles (which I believe are the more race-oriented) and a 143mm in the "red" saddles (which are the more recreational). I currently have a 143mm Phenom Comp GT, which is a "black" saddle, so theoretically too small. However, since we made so many adjustments the guy suggested doing some rides first before I drop more cash.

I took a ride this evening and while I think my numbness issues have gone way down, I'm still feeling my bones digging in, so I'll take another ride tomorrow but will likely go in next week for new saddle.

I can get the larger Phenom, which is a $100 saddle, but the guy actually picked out the 143mm Toupe Sport (a "red" saddle) which is $35. It's 100 grams heavier, but are there other big advantages to the more expensive saddle? I actually don't mind paying the extra money if there is good reason. I mostly want to get the saddle that's going to be most comfortable for me.

A little followup - if my butt is sensitive and I will be doing longer rides, is there a downside to getting a model like this?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/117434
Some of the saddles are for racing or aero position, but for some of the other saddles it's difficult to tell what the purpose is for one vs. another.

Edit: also, it looks like the "black" and "red" don't have to do with ride type, it's just a weird design thing.

I had an avatar comp on my mountain bike at some point. Seemed nice enough.

I also have a Romin Evo Pro on my turbo, which is agony. My narrow ass only needs a 130mm saddle though.

Saddles are on a per person basis. There are some people that need Selle SMP's and some who can ride on Brooks Swifts, then there are those who swear by the $30 saddles that come with bike builds. It's all about what feels right under you butt.

If you're still feeling like your sit bones are digging I would just jump to the 155. You'll know if it's too big if the back of your thighs are rubbing which results in a chaffe feeling off the bike.

If the 155 ends up being too big you're just going to have to try different saddles and see what feels right, but one ride is also not enough time. I try to give myself 200-300 miles before making the call. It's entirely possible your sitbones are just sore and the discomfort will be there regardless.

Mascot

Still in the box. Need to get it vinyl wrapped.

V busy. :/

Sod that..!

Summer is disappearing fast, we're in the middle of an extended dry spell and the trails are in tip-top condition right now.

Find the time! When it all goes cold, dark and soggy... you'll be sorry mate.

I'm reading PT's posts with an Arnold voice.

The skies opened up here recently, and will continue to do so for the next week. Time to ditch the road bike for a while and go ride in the mud. All the local shops are out of waterproof shorts too. Any differences between the cheap Altura Attack and the expensive Endura MT500?

Mascot

I cycle every week, rain or shine. Weather makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Mincing in your garage with your Jimmybike jacked up on a turbo trainer doesn't count! :p

The weather was perfect this morning: 20C, overcast (so there's nice even low-contrast light in the woods) and amazingly, dead calm. This must be the first totally wind-free day in what feels like months.

Leatherface has been in the woods some time between yesterday evening and this morning. One of the most challenging fallen-tree pop-overs has been reduced to sawdust. Bah! I used to look forward to that one.
logs_zps4zikuock.jpg

Let me put it another way. Every Sunday I go out mountain biking, rain or shine.

Also, I have a mountain bike on the trainer!

...too humid for me today at Afan. Possibly because of that, possibly because of the large calorific deficit I'm in... but I really struggled.

Ok tyre gurus, what would be the best tyre combo for a) making sure you don't lose traction in the wet and b) doesn't roll like arse? Talking 29er hardtail here.

You're asking for the holy grail. It doesn't exist.

Short answer, get better at dealing with shit grip, or get fitter.

I bring out the Beaver, Mud X and Storm Control when it gets shitty, and I accept the loss of speed. I can ride pretty much anything on a set of of Crossmarks though. You just need to be smart about how you're hitting the slippy stuff and keep your pressures low.

Honestly though, I've gone out with ridiculously draggy tyres on both ends and still set PRs. It's not going to suddenly turn you into a snail.

Does it count if I have to ride because it's how I get to work?

If you discount that and only go for "funnies" then I ride less than once a month. Usually I do more but this has been a busy summer.

Teggy

60 miles starting at 9am. Heat advisory went into effect at 11am and they weren't joking. First 30 miles were great. Last 10 were hell.

It's a dr. Manhattan?

Did some Craigslist trading and got a set of hydrolaulic brakes but they came with a set of shifters and aren't integrated. I'm unsure how to put them both on the bar atm but I also don't have my tools.

Also just happened to get a front derailleur that fits my frame. I love happy accidents.

Mascot

Mascot

You're nuts. Even if you got a crazy good deal, you're nuts.

Ha ha..! Yes, it was a very good deal. Like, the whole bike for the price of the carbon wheelset good.

I was looking closely at the Trigger 2 Carbon earlier this year and researched the shit out of ownership. It reviewed really well but I snoozed and losed on that particular deal and it's been nagging me ever since. I've also owned a few Cannondales over the years and have always loved their unique and innovative design principles, and I've wanted to own a Lefty-hung bike ever since seeing them and figured if I don't do it now then I never will. This deal for the top-of-the-range model popped up and I thought... just do it, you crazy bastard.

Top Bottom