• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

I'm not even sure if it's an 'S' or a '5'...

Looks more like a '5' with the sharper corner (smaller radius) at the very top left.

danowat

Banned
I've got a few friends who might know, I'll ask about.

I got hit by a car doing about 40mph last Monday evening, apart from it bloody hurting, it don't half hit your confidence about riding on the road again, still haven't, I've even set the turbo up!

Mascot

I got hit by a car doing about 40mph last Monday evening, apart from it bloody hurting, it don't half hit your confidence about riding on the road again, still haven't, I've even set the turbo up!

Fuuuuuuuck!

Glad you're OK dude. What happened exactly? Bike OK? Was it you or the car doing 40?

I may have mentioned it before but I fucking

hate-2.jpg

riding on roads.

danowat

Banned
Fuuuuuuuck!

Glad you're OK dude. What happened exactly? Bike OK? Was it you or the car doing 40?

I won't go into too much detail, as I've been advised to keep details to a minimum online as it's currently in the hands of solicitors.

I was doing about 15mph, he was doing over 40mph, and he hit me from behind, bike is ok surprisingly, bit scratched, considering it could have been fatal, and very messy, I would say I came off pretty well, got some back and neck pain, and a bit of bruising.

Mascot

I won't go into too much detail, as I've been advised to keep details to a minimum online as it's currently in the hands of solicitors.

I was doing about 15mph, he was doing over 40mph, and he hit me from behind, bike is ok surprisingly, bit scratched, considering it could have been fatal, and very messy, I would say I came off pretty well, got some back and neck pain, and a bit of bruising.

Fuck. Sounds like you were lucky indeed. Bet the fucker was texting.
Hope it all works out well.

On a lighter note, CRC have MT43 spuds for £20 delivered at the moment, down from £70. Good reviews. Limited sizes. I managed to bag a pair in my size. Might be useful as a spare summer pair. My current 20-year-old Shimanos are still going strong though!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt43-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod70096

Halfords eBay store has more sizes for a similar price.

Common opinion is to buy one size bigger with these.

Ordered thermal tights, for over the bibs, and knee warmers.

Still want to get Giro's mount shoe covers. They look to be gore or neoprene type material. So it should be a really good wind stopper and insulator

frontieruk

Sorry to hear that, it took me 3 years to get back on a bike after I got totalled, but glad to hear you are OK if shaken. Good luck with your case.

Bleh. Bad trainer ride...

I'm putting it down to starting up the weights again, but in reality I shouldn't be feeling it much as I'm literally just doing starter weight ranges as I work back in after injury.

Really felt like I was cycling with the brakes on, except my trainer bike has no brakes.

Aiustis

Glad to that your okay. Drivers around here are the devil when I'm cycling and as a pedestrian. I nearly got into it with someone who was in a hurry and while I normally let drivers past; it was during a game day and the traffic was moving really slowly.

Mascot

Bloody pissfucks! Halfords (thought I'd ordered from CRC - lol!) have cancelled my £20 spuds because five days later they realise there's no stock (THEN DON'T TAKE MY FUCKING ORDER YOU THUNDERCUNTS).

AND I was supposed to be on leave yesterday afternoon to go biking, but had to cancel because of work shit.

AND the same thing has happened today.

Bah, bah and triple bah!

Mascot

because of that god damn sun

You mean low winter sun in your eyes?

I'm strangely excited about getting back into the woods this afternoon. The forecast is great (and ditto for the weekend - woo hoo!) and the rain earlier in the week should have dried up nicely.

Might head up to Cwm Carn again tomorrow. I really enjoyed it last week and had forgotten just how great it is. My riding partner only likes to do one climb/descent though (around 1 hr 20 mins) which isn't really enough for me. I'd be much happier doing both mountains, but the logistics then get messy.

Somehow my left brifter shook itself loose and I didn't notice until I needed to stand for some extra power at a stop light at rush hour. That was exciting. Furthermore, my rear wheel squeaks on rotation but only when rolling forward. It sounds like the disc is rubbing but when I roll it and watch it has great clearance. I have some Velo Orange fenders so I'll check them today, it was too dark last night by the time I got home.

My riding partner only likes to do one climb/descent though (around 1 hr 20 mins) which isn't really enough for me. I'd be much happier doing both mountains, but the logistics then get messy.
You could always come out with me. By the time I'm done cycling most people are sick of the concept. ;)

Mascot

You could always come out with me. By the time I'm done cycling most people are sick of the concept. ;)

It's very tempting - you always make your little jaunts sound like such pleasurable activities.

;)

Just back from 25 miles around the woods and maaaaaaan... it felt good to be back in the saddle.

HTupolev

Is it normal for bike tires to break like this at high speeds?
Rolling a tire is something that usually happens because someone cornered hard on a flat tire, and it's not very common at all.

Rolling a tire while moving straight is extremely bizarre. I'd suspect that something was seriously wrong with the penny-farthing's tire setup, most likely related to being a penny-farthing in a world where there's very little support for that.

Sigh, tomorrow is the first of the days where I have to get up stupid early if I want to get a decent ride in. Yay, that on top of freezing cold, rain, wind and ruined trails. :(

Not sure that I'm following. If I go for a ride today, I have until 17:30 to get back. Tomorrow? 16:30.

So if I want a decent ride, I'll be getting up at say, 08:00 vs 09:00.

danowat

Banned
After my accident the other week I've been thinking about visibility, back in the 80's you could get a 'lollipop' reflector so cars wouldn't pass to close.

Does anyone know if these have been updated? Surely with LED and battery tech something decent could be made? Had a search about and couldn't find anything.

Mascot

After my accident the other week I've been thinking about visibility, back in the 80's you could get a 'lollipop' reflector so cars wouldn't pass to close.

Does anyone know if these have been updated? Surely with LED and battery tech something decent could be made? Had a search about and couldn't find anything.
I saw something like this in the last few days. Might be a kickstarter. I'll look.

danowat

Banned

Ha!, cheers I seem to remember seeing some guy had done something similar with a reflective ping pong ball on a stick.

I am sure I could design something sleek and aerodynamic, with a LED light and the end, and "knight rider" lights running up it's length.

I am surprised nothing like it has been done before, either I am a genius or am barking up a tree that no one wants!

Mascot

Ha!, cheers I seem to remember seeing some guy had done something similar with a reflective ping pong ball on a stick.

I am sure I could design something sleek and aerodynamic, with a LED light and the end, and "knight rider" lights running up it's length.

I am surprised nothing like it has been done before, either I am a genius or am barking up a tree that no one wants!
There's a fortune to be made there...

Yup... so that was totally shit. Can't remember the last time I got this muddy, and I lost count of how many times bits of crap snuck under my glasses and straight into my eyes. :(

Edit - Ha, that's a decent enough size trainer screen. :D

Top Bottom