• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Boring depends on what sort of ride you're doing. A hour of steady state is massively tedious... but an hour and a half of over/unders with hard start intervals is another story.

At least with the steady state you get to watch something though.

I had a moment of beauty and zen while on the mountain bike yesterday

Was on some single track, little windy but the sun was shining through. Fall colors a plenty. I wanted to just pause the world and experience that for a few hours.

Mascot

I've got around 500 miles of my 3k target left for this year and I need days like this to keep chipping away at it in 25-mile chunks.

Not riding at all for the first three months of this year has right royally fucked up my averages.

I had a moment of beauty and zen while on the mountain bike yesterday

Was on some single track, little windy but the sun was shining through. Fall colors a plenty. I wanted to just pause the world and experience that for a few hours.

Sounds like a missed photo opp!

I don't really do mileage targets. Works for roadies, but mountain biking is a different kettle of fish. I've done 20 mile rides that made some 80mile rides look like nothing.

I'd rather just get out as much as possible.

I think realistically I'll end the year at about 2,500 miles. More importantly, that would be about 260,000 feet of elevation.

If you include trainer rides I'll be upwards of 5,250 miles for the year.

taper week, yayyyy.

got a 65 miler with about 7000ft of climbing on sunday. the weather is shaping up nicely, thankfully. looking to be around 60-75 f. was 90f yesterday. some bullshit.

375 hours, give or take, so far.

I flat out don't have the spare time to do more. Would love to work four days a week and do it... but that's not going to happen for some time.

Mascot

375 hours, give or take, so far.

I flat out don't have the spare time to do more. Would love to work four days a week and do it... but that's not going to happen for some time.

I can be in the saddle at 4:45pm every day (3:35pm on Fridays), which is great during the late spring, summer, and early autumn. Not much use this time of year though, so I tend to take afternoons off when the winter weather is good.

Seriously: FUCK GMT. I wish they'd just leave us on BST. World War 2 finished, last time I checked.

Roadie Halloween.

kyb1ARi.jpg

Teggy

So weird thing with my direct drive trainer...

I have the exact same cassette on the trainer as my bike, but on the trainer, the rear derailleur won't shift into the smallest ring. Why would that be?

Mascot

Christ alive. This was posted in a FB MTB group I'm somehow in. Trail sabotage on a downhill track in Delamere. Popular for night rides, apparently.

w8otlf4i.jpg

That's attempted homicide, surely?

That shit is making me angrier and angrier. There's a trail near me that's constantly being wrecked / made extremely dangerous by one or two local walkers.

Problem is, whilst we all used to get along pretty well as countryside users, now there's quite a lot of talk of basically hanging around to teach these fuckers a lesson... and honestly, I'm struggling to say much against it given the police don't seem to give a toss.

Mascot

That shit is making me angrier and angrier. There's a trail near me that's constantly being wrecked / made extremely dangerous by one or two local walkers.

Problem is, whilst we all used to get along pretty well as countryside users, now there's quite a lot of talk of basically hanging around to teach these fuckers a lesson... and honestly, I'm struggling to say much against it given the police don't seem to give a toss.

Do UK folks hate bikers that much?

There needs to be a seismic shift in attitudes towards bikers in this country. Much better education is needed. At the very least I'd like to see public information campaigns in schools (for future generations), in print and TV/social media outlining the dangers that cyclists face and how other road users should behave appropriately around them. All people need to do is treat cyclists like they would horses and the problem would be orders of magnitude less. I do believe that cyclists have their own part to play in this as well by obeying rules of the road, using lights in poor visibility, and showing similar levels of courtesy to other road users. As we know, this is not always the case.

I'd also like it publicised that trail sabotage and booby-traps can easily lead to life-changing injury or death, and will be treated as serious criminal offences.

danowat

Banned
There needs to be a seismic shift in attitudes towards bikers in this country. Much better education is needed. At the very least I'd like to see public information campaigns in schools (for future generations), in print and TV/social media outlining the dangers that cyclists face and how other road users should behave appropriately around them. All people need to do is treat cyclists like they would horses and the problem would be orders of magnitude less. I do believe that cyclists have their own part to play in this as well by obeying rules of the road, using lights in poor visibility, and showing similar levels of courtesy to other road users. As we know, this is not always the case.

I'd also like it publicised that trail sabotage and booby-traps can easily lead to life-changing injury or death, and will be treated as serious criminal offences.

Jeremy (uggghh) Vine is doing a piece on cyclists wearing hi-vis jackets at lunchtime, they are always teeth grindingly awful pieces of media.

I do believe that cyclists have their own part to play in this as well by obeying rules of the road, using lights in poor visibility, and showing similar levels of courtesy to other road users. As we know, this is not always the case.

While there are some, they are in the minority (at least IME), but it doesn't really matter, you can use all the lights, hi-vis clothing and road manners to want, if a car driver isn't going to see you, then they aren't going to see you, a fact that is patently obviously to me now, even though I was wearing a large hi-vis packpack, and in broad daylight when I got hit.

Mascot

Jeremy (uggghh) Vine is doing a piece on cyclists wearing hi-vis jackets at lunchtime, they are always teeth grindingly awful pieces of media.

While there are some, they are in the minority (at least IME), but it doesn't really matter, you can use all the lights, hi-vis clothing and road manners to want, if a car driver isn't going to see you, then they aren't going to see you, a fact that is patently obviously to me now, even though I was wearing a large hi-vis packpack, and in broad daylight when I got hit.

There's also a jokey attitude that needs addressing in pop culture that cyclists are fair game and should even be targeted (ref Clarkson's rants on the subject). I even read an interview with Dame Edna recently where she/he spoke about the joys of being driven around in a limo knocking down cyclists. It's the same kind of relaxed attitude people had about drink driving in the 1970s (or racial lynchings in the 1950s)

I really seem to be struggling with high power, sustained intervals, and I'm not sure why. I can knock out a pretty reasonable high power sprint, for a short time, and put me just shy of FTP and I'll hold it for a ridiculous amount of time...

...but put me at say 120% FTP and I'll fall to bits after a couple of minutes. I just don't seem to be getting any stronger at them either. Is very odd, especially as it's pretty much the sort of output I can do on hills in the real world with no trouble at all.

danowat

Banned
I really seem to be struggling with high power, sustained intervals, and I'm not sure why. I can knock out a pretty reasonable high power sprint, for a short time, and put me just shy of FTP and I'll hold it for a ridiculous amount of time...

...but put me at say 120% FTP and I'll fall to bits after a couple of minutes. I just don't seem to be getting any stronger at them either. Is very odd, especially as it's pretty much the sort of output I can do on hills in the real world with no trouble at all.

Just on a trainer?

Revisiting the talk about cars, it's about time our government had signs like the ones you see all over the continent.

caceres4.JPG

danowat

Banned
Yeah, just on a trainer. I wonder if my brain is like "this is pointless, why are you hurting yourself?"

It's not unusual, infact many people have a trainer FTP to compensate (my coach used to say his was 30% lower!), it's to do with the lack of flywheel momentum, along with other small things.

I'd probably just use P.E. on the trainer........

Because those intervals take 12 minutes and can be done in my normal clothes, and require no cleaning of bike.

If had had two hours spare, I'd consider going out into mudland, but I don't.

Mascot

Those are pretty much my local trails. Is getting ridiculous up there. This was from this weekend:

We had similar things at Slade a couple of years ago but I *think* it was mainly horse riders building little jumps to trot over. I must admit I'm more nervous at this time of year because the trails are a thick blanket of leaves that could have anything hidden underneath (like boards with nails in, for example). There was a sabotaged jump a long time ago but apart from that it's been pretty OK.

First snow happened and I got to ride the fatbike on it. It feels great, all the problems of big tyres disappear and you're in a world of all new trails.

This looks like a lot of fun.

The bike has gone from initially shifting like a dream to phantom shifts galore. No idea what happened. This combined with my left brifter coming so loose I can only imagine it's either sabotage (someone attacking my bike while I was at work) or the worst mechanic ever. Doesn't help that the store I had it worked on has been missing a mechanic for the past week because one is on vacation and the other is deathly sick. Had to ride my other bike the past two days and I worry about it in this weather. It's not a happy bike in the rain., and I'm not happy riding $400 wheels in this weather because I just feel like every brake is shortening their life.

CX races are the last thing I'd define as "fun". As fit as I am, I genuinely don't think I could handle that (especially as I train for endurance rather than speed).

Gotta love marketing hype. People are lusting over the Sequoia from Specialized, which is a nice look bike through and through, but the price is kind of insane when you consider the parts. There's so many steel frames out there that can offer the same thing, but people are just riding that hyper train

Top Bottom