• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Knocked out 35 today in 40 degree weather with 10mph windchill.

Tomorrow morning it's back to the woods, can't wait. Really have been loving mountain biking again and I'm hoping I can make a modern mountain bike work in my budget next year.

Mascot

Tomorrow morning it's back to the woods, can't wait. Really have been loving mountain biking again and I'm hoping I can make a modern mountain bike work in my budget next year.
I'll be back in the woods myself tomorrow after a one-week hiatus. It'll be muddy as fuck and freezing cold and I can't fucking wait.

Mascot

Sorry PT, but despite my best efforts I really, really enjoyed every minute of my blast around Slade this morning. Maybe next time I'll stuff some barbed wire down my bike shorts.

slade_zpspql0oby6.jpg

Out of curiosity for you MTBers, what is your typical speed / pace? The group I ride with is just a go-go-go-go group so I'm often at 8.5-10mph (they're 10+). Just trying to get an idea of other riders.

Mascot

Out of curiosity for you MTBers, what is your typical speed / pace? The group I ride with is just a go-go-go-go group so I'm often at 8.5-10mph (they're 10+). Just trying to get an idea of other riders.

Today's ride averaged 10.1mph, according to Strava. It was pretty boggy and slippery though, and I stopped a few times for piss breaks and photos. I think I average around 11mph in the dry.

Way too many factors to even try and come up with an average. I've been as low as 5mph, as high as 15mph.

On the event on Saturday I was at 10.5mph, but there were only a handful of people even close to that speed on average.

trebbble

Got out for another beautiful ride this afternoon. I can't believe I've been able to ride this regularly this late into the season... I usually tap out towards the end of October, but this warm weather is keeping me going. Fingers crossed for a few more before I have to pack it officially for the year.

frontieruk

Amusing read on a UK petition to make cyclists pay "Road Tax": http://singletrackworld.com/2016/11/uk-government-asked-to-make-cyclists-pay-road-tax/

Unrelated, something for Mascot to blow some money on:

For sale. One Derailleur. £1,400

Could we make a petition to stop that idiot making petitions? I bet most cyclists also have driving licences making his road skills arguments null, though after being hit in a cycle lane I'm not sure having a license really determines skill.

I've always thought motorists should be forced to spend a couple of weeks as a cyclist to get an understanding of how fucking terrifying it can be.

frontieruk

I've always thought motorists should be forced to spend a couple of weeks as a cyclist to get an understanding of how fucking terrifying it can be.

I've complained to bus companies about their drivers cutting cyclists up... As a passenger! When it looks terrifying from inside the bus god only knows how bad it looks from on the bike :(

Mascot

Anyone here use an air compressor (with tank, of course) to seat their tubeless tyres?

I started looking at ghetto soda-pop solutions, then fire extinguisher conversions (I've got a couple I can use and it looks like a fun project), then the expensive Airshot, then even more expensive charge pumps (like the Bontrager Flash Charger, Joe Blow Booster, Lezyne Pressure Overdrive) and now I'm looking at small compressors for around £100-odd. I might even be able to snag an old one from work.

I bought the best of the expensive pumps... it was shit. I sent it back.

Best choices are airshot (nice and portable) and air compressor (reliable, but can be too powerful). I've had the coke bottle solution go wrong on me (this is also the reason that I now use earplugs when seating tubeless tyres).

All that snow started to melt and now it's terrible everywhere. My commute took twice as long as usual and watery slush was relatively high grip as far as available surfaces go.

Great fun!

Mascot

What the fuck? How long has there been the 'Bike' channel on Sky, 464? OK, it seems a bit Jimmy heavy but there's a series that showcases the best UK mtb trails, for example. Nice!

Probably doesn't even inflate Jimmy tyres. Not that you'd need it to, you could probably do it with the smug sense of self satisfaction brought on by your purchase.

kottila

Probably doesn't even inflate Jimmy tyres. Not that you'd need it to, you could probably do it with the smug sense of self satisfaction brought on by your purchase.

The old Belgian guy who was responsible for curing my handsown cotton FMB tyres told me I should only use bespoke artisinal air in them.

That's got no chamber! How are you supposed to seat tubeless tyres with that piece of jewellery?

Then you buy one of the $800 versions with custom graphics. That one won't work better, but makes for an even better decorative feature in your garage

Mascot

I suppose if you can drop that kind of wedge on a track pump then you probably have a little man for pumping your tyres up.

kottila

I suppose if you can drop that kind of wedge on a track pump then you probably have a little man for pumping your tyres up.

I always smile when I think about the people who've recently spent £3-5k on a Lightweight wheel with a 10speed hub, v-shaped narrow rim and only for rimbrakes. Outdated already...

ps. You could try the Bontrager Flashcharger or just make your own Macgyver-version

Mascot

If I can get that free compressor from work then job done, but failing that I do quite fancy converting a fire extinguisher or small SCUBA tank.

I'll probably end up going the pop bottle route though.

Of course, none of these are really necessary if you seat the tyre with a tube and then peel away just enough tyre to get the tube out and a replacement valve inserted, but it's a bit long-winded.

Mascot

Most decent tubeless tyres you can get done with a normal (large volume) pump anyway.

My Hans Dampfs are notoriously tricky to seat, but once they are in place they lock really well. Burping is practically unheard of with these, apparently - even at super-low pressures.

Not that I like riding with low pressures anyway...

What I'd like is a charge pump with a 0-40 PSI gauge. The ones that show up to 200 PSI just aren't accurate in the 0-40 range.

Mascot

Holy fuckage, my neighbour just scored a brand-new £3,300 2017 Lapierre Zesty AM 527 Carbon for £2,400. I don't think these are even available until next week. That's one hell of a discount on a 2017 steed.

Fiche_A263-ZestyAM-527-E-i-TQAR.jpg

Holy fuckage, my neighbour just scored a brand-new £3,300 2017 Lapierre Zesty AM 527 Carbon for £2,400. I don't think these are even available until next week. That's one hell of a discount on a 2017 steed.

Fiche_A263-ZestyAM-527-E-i-TQAR.jpg

That's beautiful.

Weird question, do bikes like that have a way to lock the back suspension? I know front stuff can be locked, but I had a terribly cheap mountain bike (like under 200 Canadian cheap, haha) and I hated it so much, because every time I would stand up to pedal hard I felt like all my energy was being lost into the rear suspension it had. Do good bikes have ways around that? Or is it just something you get used to?

Yes, though not all (you wont find a lockout on a full on downhill bike).

...and better bikes have much better pedalling platforms generally.

Just did one of the most painful and frustrating trainer rides I've done for some time. Really hard to get the output right when alongside the weight draining.

Bleh. Feel terrible now.

Top Bottom