• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

purg3

slept with Malkin
Bad news: My Specialized Hardrock I'd been pootling around on for quite some time was stolen from a train station recently.

Good News: I ended up splashing out and getting a 2012 Specialized Status 1!

Rb3Ez.jpg

Absolutely love this thing. It's a little hard to get going at first, but this thing loves downhill and jumping it over branches, rocks, roots etc. is a real breeze.

nice pickup. I've been contemplating a downhill/freeride bike for next season. Looking at the Status 2 and SX Trail. How are you liking the Status1 right now and hows the X-fusion suspension on it?

tirant

How much would I have to spend for a hybrid/commuting bike? I bike to school every day and go on recreational rides (on pavement).

I am thinking about giving my old bike to my gf and getting myself something new. I assume I'm looking at the $600 (Canadian) range, is that about right? Thanks.

This bike is around 600-700€. Sparta Athos.

Sparta_Athos__Heren___2011_.jpg

And it's amazing for city and recreational/sport. It's comfortable, practical, fast and built like a rock.

I dont know if you can find them in Canada, but you should look for a similar style.

$400-$500 Canadian as a starting point. This Giant, for example, is $449.

I still don't know how can you recommend a commuter bike without mudguards, lights and back rack.

Kraftwerk

I dont know if you can find them in Canada, but you should look for a similar style.

I still don't know how can you recommend a commuter bike without mudguards, lights and back rack.

Because you can buy them, and have them installed. A bell is $5, and you can get USB rechargeable lights that are 100 lumens for $30. Also, not everyone needs racks and whatnot.

That bikes you posted is not available in Canada, and bikes in similar styles are more expensive, since they are the hot items right now. Trendy dutch bikes etc..

Also, a bike such as the Giant Escape is significantly lighter and more efficient. Comfort is subjective, since I LOVE riding in a aggressive position. You just have to be fitted properly.

ameratsu

1) That bike (Giant) has cantilever brakes so he can mudguards if he needs them. Not everyone bikes in the rain.

2) An LED taillight and headlight are inexpensive and easy additions to any bike, and definitely a must if he wants to bike at night. Maybe it's a difference between here and europe, but bikes here typically do not have lights built in.

3) A bike rack, again, could be added if he actually wants one.

I commute on an old road bike without fenders or a rack. These items (except lights) really aren't essential as far as I'm concerned, though they are useful in the right circumstances. Fast, light, aggressive bike fitted properly > that crap you posted with a spring loaded seat and a suspension seatpost.

edit: Beaten by Kraftwerk

edit2: that euro bike weighs 52 pounds (!!!).

Bought the 29er and took it out to the trails once already. The 29" wheels eats everything as long as you have the momentum. Second picture is a bad comparison in size to my road bike. It makes my road bike feel dinky and extremely light after carrying the 29er up 3 flights of stairs.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

panty

Great bikes you guys have. I spot there isn't much love for vintage bikes in this thread is there?

I think the modern bikes are overall great value but they just look awful. They're hideous compared to these steel beauties. I'm a steel fanboy so take it as such :b

GgNKd.jpg

NjugF.jpg

5404044491_1bd55eef88_z.jpg

These are mine, love 'em.

Going on a two week long cycling holiday to Holland in a few days, will try to post some pics of my setup before I go

p.s My bike's old as shit so it should be an interesting trip

Hoo-doo

Banned
I decided to fix up my mountainbike yesterday. Really got the riding-itch again, after abandoning it for several years.

It's a rather old, probably cheap Giant MTB, I got it for my 14th birthday or something like that, I don't remember.

I fixed the two flat tires, added a new seat, adjusted the seat and handlebar height, lubricated the chain, gears and crank and this morning I took it for a spin, ended up riding for 30-something kilometers through the countryside.

I'm totally back on board, I forgot how much fun cycling was. Some good music, nice weather and a beautiful forest is all you need.

I have a slight issue with the tires though, I feel the heavy profile on the tires really hold me back when driving on tarmac. Is it worth it, or even possible to switch to tires with better road-like qualities? What should I be looking out for?

ch0mp

Bought the 29er and took it out to the trails once already. The 29" wheels eats everything as long as you have the momentum. Second picture is a bad comparison in size to my road bike. It makes my road bike feel dinky and extremely light after carrying the 29er up 3 flights of stairs.
I've just hopped onto a road bike for the first time in over 10 years... it feels so quick, but cramped in comparison. Riding position feels completely unnatural to me.

I have a slight issue with the tires though, I feel the heavy profile on the tires really hold me back when driving on tarmac. Is it worth it, or even possible to switch to tires with better road-like qualities? What should I be looking out for?
I have some geax roadster tyres on my bike to commute with during winter, when the trails are just too muddy. They have lasted a hell of a lot longer than the stock tyres did. *Kind of heavy if that bothers you.

Man, finding a bike is difficult! I had the Specialized Allez all picked out, but they couldn't find one in my size. Now I'm looking at the other shops and found a good deal on the Trek 1.2--I'm not as in love with it as the Specialized, but it's cheaper and seems like it's a good starter too.

Now we'll see if they can manage to grab my size in the 2012 that is on sale.

moojito

Ye gads! I have had my brother in law's bike in my shed for years now and thought it would be a good idea to take it out for a spin, maybe set myself on the road to doing actual exercise. I'm all dizzy now, and, well, my dangly bits have pins and needles. That's not supposed to happen!

Can you be too unfit to start cycling? I think I might have broken some kind of record here.

vidcons

Banned
Uh, you should probably take a serious look at your diet and water intake.

Man, finding a bike is difficult! I had the Specialized Allez all picked out, but they couldn't find one in my size. Now I'm looking at the other shops and found a good deal on the Trek 1.2--I'm not as in love with it as the Specialized, but it's cheaper and seems like it's a good starter too.

Dang. I know they're on the pricier end but I've literally heard nothing bad about Cannondale's CAAD10. Might be worth a look if you've got a dealer.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Ye gads! I have had my brother in law's bike in my shed for years now and thought it would be a good idea to take it out for a spin, maybe set myself on the road to doing actual exercise. I'm all dizzy now, and, well, my dangly bits have pins and needles. That's not supposed to happen!

Can you be too unfit to start cycling? I think I might have broken some kind of record here.

yikes. I don't think you can be too unfit, but you might want to start out slow on some flat roads and not push the distance at first. Probably also a good idea to start doing other exercises to work on your cardio. Also like the other poster said, make sure you are staying hydrated too. It's easy to loose a lot of liquids through sweat while cycling and staying hydrated is important.

Get'sMad

I ran over a squirrels tail on my bike the other day

I was approaching him and he froze... I make a move to the right he moves with him to the the right..I go left and he darts left..I go right again...then, bam... right over the tree rats tail.

I think he was okay. totally his fault though. no wonder these idiots get splattered by cars all the time.

beje

Banned
Ugh, I'm jelly of all your bikes. I have to stick with a folding one due to extreme lack of space. It gets its job done (20Km every day) but climbing slopes is a thigh-busting experience.

ameratsu

I decided to fix up my mountainbike yesterday. Really got the riding-itch again, after abandoning it for several years.

It's a rather old, probably cheap Giant MTB, I got it for my 14th birthday or something like that, I don't remember.

How tall are you? That looks like a kid's bike and is likely way too small for you.

Uh, you should probably take a serious look at your diet and water intake.

Dang. I know they're on the pricier end but I've literally heard nothing bad about Cannondale's CAAD10. Might be worth a look if you've got a dealer.

Ya, the longer I have to wait, the more I am willing to spend. >.> Not sure why it's working that way.

Are Fuji's any good for entry level?

ameratsu

Great bikes you guys have. I spot there isn't much love for vintage bikes in this thread is there?

These are mine, love 'em.

Nice bikes. I now have a modern aluminum race bike, but here's my steel road bike that does commuter duty. It's as old as I am.

3Piax.jpg

Sorry for the crappy image quality, I will have to take some better pics.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I was into mountain biking pretty heavily in my teens but dropped it after going to university. Well, I just bought my first bike in 15 years - a Trek Wahoo 29er. What I really like about the bike is the Gary Fisher Alpha Aluminum frame and its G2 geometry. The same frame is used on the much more expensive X-Caliber model. Only difference betweem the Wahoo and the X-Caliber is that the components are not nearly as good on the Wahoo (to be expected in a $600 bike). Suntour forks (still get 100mm of travel), cheap Shimano derailer and shifters, disc brakes but not hydraulic. Crap seat, too, which I've already replaced. But I thought if I bought a solid frame then I can always upgrade the components over time. I think tubeless tires and lighter rims would make a drastic difference.

I went with a 29er because I'm going to use it to mostly to tour around the light trails in the Toronto area. Nothing too hardcore here. Afte riding a 26er previously, the difference is very noticeable (even though I haven't beek on a bike in 15 years). It still feels like a strange experience, even after 10km. I'm not very confident with the few tight turns I do have to navigate. But boy, when this thing gets up to speed it just flies.

I'm sure Pinarello's bikes ride really nice and all (the one below was used in winning this year's Tour De France)...

il68z.jpg

But...is it just me, or do the seat stays and fork remind anyone of:

PAFj2.jpg

Kinda disturbing to me, can't unsee =P

Kraftwerk

The Dogma ^ is indeed an amazing bike. I have ridden one, and it is a tank. Stiffest thing in the world. Definitely not for everyone.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

I have a 1.2 and have been very happy with it. I've read that at that pricepoint, there's not much to differentiate between bikes made by the major companies.

BdoUK

I completed 80 miles in one day of RAGBRAI on Wednesday. It's been two months since I started biking. Slowly working toward a century.

7659760652_64d2c7b362_c.jpg

Congrats! A number of my friends from the Bluegrass Cycling Club are up there tackling RAGBRAI as well. It sounds like a great event.

How is South Florida for biking? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale but I can drive down to Miami or whatever if necessary.

I'm not even sure if I want a road bike or a mountain bike. Not sure what I'd get the maximum amount of fun out of down here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How is South Florida for biking? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale but I can drive down to Miami or whatever if necessary.

I'm not even sure if I want a road bike or a mountain bike. Not sure what I'd get the maximum amount of fun out of down here.

Flat, super humid. Some trails. Get a hybrid or a road bike.

Anyone ever flown with a bike before?

I live in eastern Canada, my road bike is out west. Thinking about bringing it out here when I go visit next time.

Any tips/suggestions?

You're actually really close to Markham Park which has one of the best trails in S.Florida. Quiet Waters is a bit of a drive north and I know you have a bunch of good stuff south too. Markham alone has a lot of different trails, even hills somehow. I would not write off mountain bikes just yet.

A list built off a general Ft. Laudy Zip - http://www.singletracks.com/php/zipcode.php?zip=33301&radius=25

vidcons

Banned
Anyone ever flown with a bike before?

I live in eastern Canada, my road bike is out west. Thinking about bringing it out here when I go visit next time.

Any tips/suggestions?

I've always shipped UPS because flying with a bike is expensive. If you're planning on flying again with your bike then just get a travel case. In a case, I've seen them flown for $40 on a plane. Ground shipping across the US has been about $100 for me.

So if you're flying a lot then just get a case and bring it everywhere.

ameratsu

Thanks. What kind of features should I look for in an entry level hybrid bike?

EDIT:

For instance, why is this bad or good?

http://www.diamondback.com/2012-edgewood

or this

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/elite_sport.htm

Bikes at given price points (say $400, $500 etc) from well-known bike companies are extremely similar to each other in terms of component quality and spec. It's good to go online and get an idea of what you're looking for, but assuming you aren't exactly sure what you want, go to a local bike shop and see what they recommend. Ride a few bikes to make sure you end up with something you like.

That said, you don't want a front suspension fork on a cheap bike. Buying a bike online isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you will want to weigh the pros and cons versus buying locally from a reputable shop.

Discusguy

Thanks for the advice. Would you mind going into more detail abou the point above? I'm confused. Why wouldn't I want front suspension on a cheap bike? Reliability?

I never heard this before but I'm going to take a guess. You don't want front suspension that you can't lock out if you ever get serious about riding. You are using too much energy pedaling. If you were a serious cyclist you wouldn't be buying a hydrid.

ameratsu

Thanks for the advice. Would you mind going into more detail abou the point above? I'm confused. Why wouldn't I want front suspension on a cheap bike? Reliability?

Reliability and cheap suspension forks will absorb some of your forward momentum, making you work harder for no good reason.

Stinkles

Cheap bikes nowadays, or rather, value bikes, like diamond back and a couple of others, are basically made from decent components and materials - not amazing, but a lot better than cheap bikes back in the day. However when you add a component like a shock, which is in itself a complex item, then you'll get something really cheap compared to say the frame and brakes. If you want a shock for comfort, or mild offroad situations, you can probably pick up a used manitou or rock shock from the bin at a local cycle store for very cheap and end up with a better compromise. But if you're not going offroad and your local streets are good, they're just added weight and effort and I wouldn't bother.

I have a Gary Fisher Mendota with carbon front forks and I can still trail it a little. Early mountain bikers basically went wildly offload on reinforced road bikes, so you shouldn't over think that aspect. I will say that metro shocks are fantastic for wrist fatigue over huge distances, lke centuries, But they add weight so it ends up being a trade off for comfort over efficiency.

When I did the AIDS ride, I did it on a Trek 7.5 fx, with metro shocks and I finished with quick times and in WAY better physical shape than a lot of fitter road cyclists because I chose a soft gel seat and those shocks. Not to mention the fact that my gearing and frame geometry were better for hills. There are a thousand variables to think of, based on your riding style, physique and ultimately preference. There's only one objectively bad bike - Fixie with no brakes on public streets.

I even saw a guy on the AIDS ride do centuries on a BMX. He finished dead last but he was a beast-hero and people would applaud him when he rolled in after sunset. Thighs like public buildings.

beje

Banned
I started doing the full route in my daily commute today. Until now, I was combining train + bike for the morning route so now I've gone from 20Km to 32Km everyday. I really don't know for how long my folding bike will bear this beatdown though.

beje

Banned
I haven't had a bike in over a decade (23) but is a 3 speed bike good enough for biking around Brooklyn or a cross country trip or do you need a 6 or 7 speed?

Does anyone have exp. with folding bikes? I wanted to get a ALHAMBRA Citizen Bike 20" 3-speed Folding Bike with Alloy Frame

Not partial to the design of the 6 and 7 speed but they are cheaper

Is it easy to put a basket on one of these?

I'm using a folding and they're great if you really REALLY don't have space at home, you need to mount it on transit often or you need to have it inside wherever you go due to widespread theft. If not, just get a normal one as you'll get better specs overall for the same money.

About the speeds, it depends on your preference and the shape of your city. If it's too hilly they might not be enough if you need to climb a steep slope. Also, forget about taking them off road or for really long rides: your ass will suffer.

About the basket and back transport, sizes are fairly standard so I doubt you will have any trouble with those. Just take into account you will most likely have to dismount the front basket everytime you want to fold the bike.

andycapps

I'm sure Pinarello's bikes ride really nice and all (the one below was used in winning this year's Tour De France)...

il68z.jpg

But...is it just me, or do the seat stays and fork remind anyone of:

Friend of mine built a bike setup just like that one. He seems to build new bikes every year or so and then sell them off and build a new one.

hi guys, i was reading another thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484315) and people were recommending a hybrid or comfort bicycle.

i don't have a bike but it looks like uc irvine has a reclamation program (http://bike.uci.edu/services/recycle.cfm) once a month. hopefully i can get one for cheap in the next few months. the city is really commuter friendly with 40+ miles of paved bikeways free of road traffic essentially.

are comfort or hybrid bicycles one in the same? i have lower back issues, so i would prefer something with a more upright riding stance. if i can't find anything on the cheap, this would be my local shop (http://jaxbicycles.com/). i would probably ride 1-2 a week for a couple hours, so i wouldnt be looking to invest too much money into the bike and/or accessories.

Stinkles

hi guys, i was reading another thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484315) and people were recommending a hybrid or comfort bicycle.

i don't have a bike but it looks like uc irvine has a reclamation program (http://bike.uci.edu/services/recycle.cfm) once a month. hopefully i can get one for cheap in the next few months. the city is really commuter friendly with 40+ miles of paved bikeways free of road traffic essentially.

are comfort or hybrid bicycles one in the same? i have lower back issues, so i would prefer something with a more upright riding stance. if i can't find anything on the cheap, this would be my local shop (http://jaxbicycles.com/). i would probably ride 1-2 a week for a couple hours, so i wouldnt be looking to invest too much money into the bike and/or accessories.

As far as your back is concerned, they're similar, but a hybrid will be lighter and more svelte. What you really need to do is ride some different geometries - bike shop will fit you and let you test ride. You have to make sure your legs, back, arm positions are all combining to make you feel good - so the only ay to do that is to try them.

-_-

Banned
I live in NYC (upper east side currently but will move to Brooklyn by early next year). I am planning to bike to Canada in June for a comic con as well as biking to Cali as well as commuting to work what speed bike should I get?

b3b0p

Nice pickup. What madone model is it?

3.1 with the Sram components. I know nothing about what that means, it just cost a few bucks more and was the only options they have on this model: Sram or Shimano, Sram was like $50 more, so I thought it must be better, lol.

BdoUK

3.1 with the Sram components. I know nothing about what that means, it just cost a few bucks more and was the only options they have on this model: Sram or Shimano, Sram was like $50 more, so I thought it must be better, lol.

SRAM or Shimano is really just personal preference. I started with Shimano and made the switch to SRAM last year. Both worked as advertised but I've come to enjoy the SRAM's shifting method a bit more.

Antagon

What would you exactly be using it for? If you're going to use it doing groceries, commute and stuff like that I'd recommend something that in the Netherlands we call a "city bike". Usually kinda slow and heavy, but extremely comfortable and practical.

These are bikes like this:
opafiets.web.jpg

One of the best things about these bikes is that they encourage a more laid back riding style which won't make you sweat so you can wear your normal clothes or even a suit on it without problems. They're also relatively low maintenance and if it has a decent luggage rack you can give someone a lift if needed.

Also, with a limited budget you should get something second hand.

Top Bottom