• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I've been setting up my training cave for the winter. Bought a monitor so I can watch my films / tv stuff whilst still keeping trainer road running at a decent size.

I'm having to use my normal bike on the turbo at the moment though because my old turbo bike broke. :(

Nothing really nice. Probably a used road bike for a couple hundred or something. Right now the best thing I have is a '84 Schwinn High Sierra. Mostly I want something lighter that's easier to ride for longer excursions on the local bike trail.

Craigslist can be your friend especially around this time of year. Or you can go to your local bike shop and see what they have in last years models and work out a deal with them that way.

One of the people I ride with bought a bike that was at their local shop it was a 2010 model and they took $700 off the price tag just because of that.

t-ramp

Craigslist can be your friend especially around this time of year. Or you can go to your local bike shop and see what they have in last years models and work out a deal with them that way.

One of the people I ride with bought a bike that was at their local shop it was a 2010 model and they took $700 off the price tag just because of that.
Thanks for the advice. I've been checking Craigslist somewhat regularly and will probably hit up a bike store or two here if I get really serious about buying. If anyone is bored and wants to look through the bicycle section of Ames' Craigslist, be my guest. Let me know if you see any awesome deals.

WedgeX

Banned

I'm these perusing at the moment. Moving to a city with lots of biking, including commuting. My old mountain bike, while great for trails, just isn't going to cut it. Far too heavy and slow, unfortunately. Definitely in need of a road bike.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ok, so I changed my mind.

I'm now going for a Cube instead. This very one, infact -

Cube Analogue 29er

Cube29er.jpg

Full spec and some lovely zoomed in views here - http://www.cube.eu/pl/hard/cross-country/analog-29/

Went to an independent bike shop near me, saw this and I must have it! Can't wait until January, now :)

I want it :(

It's not sold in the US...

cube_analog_29er_.jpg

Look at that mofo...

Glorious

vidcons

Banned
Nothing really nice. Probably a used road bike for a couple hundred or something. Right now the best thing I have is a '84 Schwinn High Sierra. Mostly I want something lighter that's easier to ride for longer excursions on the local bike trail.

Best bang for your buck solution might be to join a local club in the area and get something through their sponsors.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Where can I get that Analog 29?

God dammit it's impossible to get in the US and can't even find it on the internet lol..

The suspension linkage system they use is patented by Specialized in the US (same for a number of manufacturers) so they can't sell their bikes there. They could of course have dealerships just for hardtails, but it's not an ideal situation.

Chain Reaction will ship one there, but it wont be cheap.

SmokyDave

The suspension linkage system they use is patented by Specialized in the US (same for a number of manufacturers) so they can't sell their bikes there. They could of course have dealerships just for hardtails, but it's not an ideal situation.

Chain Reaction will ship one there, but it wont be cheap.
It's such bollocks that Specialized bought the Horst Link patent. It just feels wrong to have such a broad system patented. Almost makes me ashamed to ride the FSR, indirectly supporting their nonsense.

traveler

Not Wario
I need a lower impact cardio exercise, so I'm planning on getting into biking soon. Would like to get a <=$700 bike capable of decent road speed that could also do single track at some point. (yes, I realize the somewhat conflicting nature of low impact, mountain biking- planning on holding off the higher impact stuff until I've dropped a few pounds and gotten cardio to a better place) Is that doable or am I handicapping the quality of both functions by trying to get a single bike that can do both on such a low budget? Should I just grab a road bike now and hold off on single track till I can pick up a dedicated mountain bike later? Would love some newbie recommendations in any case. Thanks!

Brera

Banned
I want it :(

It's not sold in the US...

cube_analog_29er_.jpg

Look at that mofo...

Glorious

Cube do indeed make awesome looking bikes. I hate the fact that schwalbe don't do tires in 29" with the white strip any more :-(

I've ordered some bits for my LTD, specifically a shorter carbon 3T stem and 640mm carbon handlebar down from 720mm and the bike is much more how i'd like it! Easier to take turns and doesn't feel so wide!

Plus they look great lol!

DA3AD061-28D1-4839-ADE3-C3492F534288-12439-000006B434D84192.jpg

AF3AB73A-6C99-4C61-BCD6-9828C38BEEC4-12439-000006B440B3D8E5.jpg

I bought a 3T carbon seatpost as well but I got the size wrong! Ordered an FSA seatpost now! I've changed so much to the bike, it's almost an addiction!

Shame it's freezing right now! I just need a new front derauiler and lighter better tyres and I'm done!

beanman25

Really tough time getting used to drop handlebars. Any tips?

I know it's pretty cut and dry, but it's so awkward after having regular bars all my life.

Is that doable or am I handicapping the quality of both functions by trying to get a single bike that can do both on such a low budget? Should I just grab a road bike now and hold off on single track till I can pick up a dedicated mountain bike later? Would love some newbie recommendations in any case. Thanks!

Your suggestion at the end is the best idea. Whilst there are good hybrids out there, they're still full of compromises. Given the sort of money you're willing to spend you'd be far better off with a reasonable road bike to get your fitness levels up with and then moving into mountain biking (which is much more fun when every hill doesn't kill you).

Would like to get a <=$700 bike capable of decent road speed that could also do single track at some point. (yes, I realize the somewhat conflicting nature of low impact, mountain biking- planning on holding off the higher impact stuff until I've dropped a few pounds and gotten cardio to a better place)

Not sure what you mean by high and low impact, but if you want a mountain bike, you should just get a mountain bike. You can use it on roads, but of course you won't go as fast. You can get plenty of a cardio workout, tho.

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks psychotext. I'll probably go that route then. Any recommendations on good road bikes for beginners at the price range?

Not sure what you mean by high and low impact, but if you want a mountain bike, you should just get a mountain bike. You can use it on roads, but of course you won't go as fast. You can get plenty of a cardio workout, tho.

Impact refers to the level of stress an exercise imposes on your joints. Mountain biking is higher impact because of the rougher terrain and jolts, bounces, etc. caused by it. It doesn't really refer to the level of cardio involvement in the workout.

74 centurion le mans here.. love this shit. but using it as a commuter sucks, i want to keep it for just long rides and stuff. for some reason the geometry of modern road bikes is just completely and totally unappealing to me despite their amazing technological and technical superiority in terms of efficiency and all that. i understand it's technically better and the tubing has to be different due to material differences and their strength, but i just like plain old plain gauged tubing with some fine designed lugs.

Sleepy

As I'm kinda burned out on running, I'm looking to get into this, as well. I'm looking at a Fuji Absolute ~$400.

Any thoughts on the model, make?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
For fucks sake I want that Analog 29 god dammit, how do I do it?

FUCK lol.

Apparently fucking Specialized owns some patents over here in the US and Cube can't bring their bikes here because of it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Right now, looking at probably getting this for next season.

c2GUP.jpg

2013 Specialized Status 2. I think it's probably one of the best bang for the buck out there for downhill bikes outside of going with a previous year model of a higher end bike. But I think this would be more than enough bike for me, plus I'm not racing competitively anyway. Don't see too many downhill/freeride bikes posted in here often, any of you guys ride downhill?

Dave does. I don't have the balls for it.

There was a red level descent in the blue trail I did earlier and I was bricking it most of the way down. Had to step off in a couple of places. I don't know if having a full bouncer would even help me get over it, I just find rocky descents terrifying.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Dave does. I don't have the balls for it.

There was a red level descent in the blue trail I did earlier and I was bricking it most of the way down. Had to step off in a couple of places. I don't know if having a full bouncer would even help me get over it, I just find rocky descents terrifying.

Yeah I can see it being too much or intimidating for some, but I love that shit. At least up to the part where I'm going over the bars at a decent clip. Messed up my shoulder good a few months back, but was back out after a couple of weeks. I should have a gopro in time for spring, can't wait to start recording some runs.

Brera

Banned
For fucks sake I want that Analog 29 god dammit, how do I do it?

FUCK lol.

Apparently fucking Specialized owns some patents over here in the US and Cube can't bring their bikes here because of it.

Get it from these guys

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1766/a54532/details.html?lg=en&country=227&cr=USD#

Ship to the US for $25!

The Analog is pretty basic, go for the Attention instead (better forks on components).

I've got the LTD...go for broke! What's your budget?

Xdye7

Right now, looking at probably getting this for next season.

*status 2 pic*

2013 Specialized Status 2. I think it's probably one of the best bang for the buck out there for downhill bikes outside of going with a previous year model of a higher end bike. But I think this would be more than enough bike for me, plus I'm not racing competitively anyway. Don't see too many downhill/freeride bikes posted in here often, any of you guys ride downhill?

I ride downhill/freeride. Check out the Scott Voltage FR and NS Soda. The Banshee Scythe can also land in the same price range with the right components or if you build it up yourself.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I ride downhill/freeride. Check out the Scott Voltage FR and NS Soda. The Banshee Scythe can also land in the same price range with the right components or if you build it up yourself.

The Scott Voltage FR was also on my short list along with the Rocky Mountain Flatline, which I think would push my budget a bit.

muu

finally sort of settled in at my new digs. I'm loving my now 14-mile commute vs 4.5mile I had previous: it's actually a workout now!

S. L.

I just bought the bike that my teenage self endlessly lusted after:

A 1996 GT RTS-3. All original, although I've changed the seat to the WTB in the pic and pedals to some Club Roost beartraps (not reflected in the pic).

Looking forward to doing a full strip-down and rebuild over winter. I'm torn between keeping her all original or rebuilding in the spec I'd have chosen back in '96. I'm definitely changing the forks because the RST's are utterly shot and I've managed to source some Quadra 21r's for less than the cost of sorting the existing forks.

Riding a 'vintage' mountain bike after getting used to my FSR was quite the experience. After riding about 12 miles home my wrists, elbows and shoulders were killing! Narrow, flat bars aren't suitable for an old man like me.
hah nice, my teenage dream was the GT LTS-1 i guess
i should check ebay...

vidcons

Banned
Thanks psychotext. I'll probably go that route then. Any recommendations on good road bikes for beginners at the price range?

How serious are you about getting in shape? If you're really determined, you might want to throw down a hell of a lot more money for a fitting (shoes and cleats will also tie into this, most likely)

As for bikes, I'd suggest getting a Cannondale CAAD10. It's above your price range but also really nice and they resell very well.

That's more high-end then you're looking, though. Trek has a nice 7.1 FX series that's ~$800. They also look pretty slick.

Just factor in the cost of a decent pair of cycling shorts. Probably shoes. If you get all of this from a bike shop, they'll probably give you some good deals on everything. Give them a 6 pack to ensure you get the discount.

e; How is everyone managing with the cold? Somehow, Boulder is still nice enough to go out, although today was probably an indication that the heat is on its way out. Didn't take a pair of gloves and ended up freezing my ass up Flag and sitting a whole 3 minutes off my PR. It's winter, always wear gloves.

My legs seem to be the main problem. I hate wearing 3/4 trousers but I feel like I don't have much of a choice when it gets down to freezing.

I might have to try some leg warmers instead and hope they're less restrictive.

davidnic

My legs seem to be the main problem. I hate wearing 3/4 trousers but I feel like I don't have much of a choice when it gets down to freezing.

I might have to try some leg warmers instead and hope they're less restrictive.

Try normal bib shorts\ knicks with knee warmers, I like knee warmers the best cause when it heats up they are not to hot.

vidcons

Banned
I've been wanting to try Rapha's winter embrocation but can't justify it. For legs, I just wear some cheap Walmart underarmor. Does the trick and is really comfortable post-ride, even though it usually means sitting in your genital sweat for a bit.

^ Yea buying complete bikes is so much cheaper than assembling it from parts. See if you can find something pre-assembled.

I often see questions from new riders, about how they should build up some old frame they snatched up. The correct answer is almost always: ditch the frame and buy new. (Even tho it doesn't teach you as much about bike mechanics.)

^ Yea buying complete bikes is so much cheaper than assembling it from parts. See if you can find something pre-assembled.

I often see questions from new riders, about how they should build up some old frame they snatched up. The correct answer is almost always: ditch the frame and buy new. (Even tho it doesn't teach you as much about bike mechanics.)
I've already got the frame, fork, headset, crankset, and seat, I'm not really going to ditch them. The stock components from that bike were pretty shitty anyway so this will be better in the long run

SmokyDave

hah nice, my teenage dream was the GT LTS-1 i guess
i should check ebay...

Don't do it!

It gets very expensive, very quickly. I'm looking for a M739 groupset and a Kore finishing kit for the RTS and the projected costs are mounting rapidly. It'll be worth every penny when I'm done, but only in sentimental value.

So far, I've stripped it to a bare frame and thrown the original parts into a box in the cellar. Time to get the polishing materials out and buff it until it looks chromed. I've sourced an M739 rear mech, some Quadra 21r's and a Kore stem so far.

Once I've finished the RTS, I'm going for an LTS. Once I've finished that, it's on to the STS.

I daren't tell the missus that though.

muu

Anyone got one of those TI-GR locks? I've been in a bike/ped unfriendly (and therefore safe to keep bikes anywhere with a cheapie lock) area for so long, all I got is one of those slinkied combination locks. Would like to get something stronger, bit damn those u locks are heavy.

Yeah, I saw that vid, though obviously he's the maker of the thing and as such isn't going to show off any obvious flaws. I've seen "professional" thieves come up with 5 second solutions to locks which looked utterly unbreakable under normal circumstances. Plus, the D lock he uses is awful. I'd love to see him pull off some of his times against one of the mid to high end Abus or New York D Locks.

...and for what it's worth he doesn't show a leverage attack, which I'd like to see just for completeness.

Jobiensis

Maui is pretty nice.

RAmAe.jpg

http://app.strava.com/activities/31390863

Was not near as hard as I expected, but I didn't go as fast as I wanted. I really missed my CAAD though, not too fond of the Felt/Shimano 105.

e; How is everyone managing with the cold? Somehow, Boulder is still nice enough to go out, although today was probably an indication that the heat is on its way out. Didn't take a pair of gloves and ended up freezing my ass up Flag and sitting a whole 3 minutes off my PR. It's winter, always wear gloves.

You would get a kick out of SoCal. The temp drops to the low 50s and you see people riding in full length bibs and jerseys. Anything I tell you about my 'cold' weather riding would probably be more humorous to you than helpful!

Terrible ride today. Back wheel started rubbing against the frame (needs truing badly), then my gears started going to shit on virtually every change and my bottom bracket ended up grinding too. I think I need a new crankset.

Annoying my preferred LBS is closed tomorrow so I can't just drop off the bike and pick it up shiny and fixed up for next week. :(

Route was pretty good though. Will revisit it when it's dry.

Top Bottom