• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

muu

Used parts in unknown condition, flat bars (!), possibly requiring maintenance. Aluminum frame. Bikes depreciate quickly, and if you pay a bit more you could probably find something full-carbon, if that matters to you. Handlebars have bar clip-ons but I'd still prefer a drop bar.

Spec-wise you can get similar here w/o the Specialized logo (this too would require shop maintenance for cables):
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/fens_xi.htm

Either way IMO it feels like a lot of dough to drop on something that leaves a lot to be desired (and hence, upgraded). Might be reasonable if you can haggle for 100-150 off.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/3527688786.html

Has about 1000 miles on it, he says no cracks or wobble/rattle, a minor paint scratch in one area.

Need emergency advice gaf, I am willing to buy this tomorrow.

(I have to say I was willing to get a new 2012/13 elite for $830ish as it is but this one has bettter components)

If that helps with your advice. Also the base model is like $500 for 2013 but obviously this was I think the 2nd to last top model for 2010, there should be a big difference between a base model and this one. I plan to commute 16 miles round trip on a bike path. (And seriously become a cyclist eventually)

I haven't talked him down because he's willing to deliver it by car from Passaic to my bank in uptown manhattan.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
It's a done deal muu took it to a big local bike shop and the guys were all like very very nice bike for what I got it. They checked it out and told me it pretty much is in excellent condition which made me real happy. A basic tune up was done and I bought my helmet and my rear blinky was mounted, I also picked up some very nice winter cycling gloves.

I really like how the bike feels, it accelerates really fast and it feels really solid overall.

I think this will serve me well for a couple of years.

there is no such thing as a nice pair of cycling gloves. you always go for snowboarding gloves.

Eh I have a pair that's good down to 40F. That's about the minimum I'll ride in.

I really should stop watching this thread. I'm saving for a bike to buy one in March but you guys are making it so hard.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just curious, does anyone have any experience with the mobiky genius? Or any other collapsible bike?

Kinda want to get back to cycling, and would prefer one which is collapsible to take up less space, because I have to go onto public transport.

muu

I've found that my left hand can handle ~25 just fine w/ my triple layer of gloves, while the right hand freezes even if I add a bar mitt on top of it. Does it have anything to do w/ the fat that the left hand is closer to your heart (and hence better circulated I'm assuming)?

May have to try hand warmers inside bar mitts and see if I can ride comfortably.

Just curious, does anyone have any experience with the mobiky genius? Or any other collapsible bike?

Folding bikes like that are really only suitable for transportation. I'd never use it for recreation. Because the fit is a bit awkward, you can't really exert yourself and remain comfortable.

You should be able to find some comparisons online of folders in different price ranges. All I know is that Brompton is considered a good brand (but UK based), and in the US there's Bike Friday which is also pretty popular.

Honestly, I'm glad this thread exists, but I have no idea where to even begin so I'll just ask what's a good enough bike for getting places and what tools do I need to purchase along with it to build it? I don't need anything crazy because I'll just be using it to go back forth between school but I didn't want some cheap walmart crap.

Oppo

there is no such thing as a nice pair of cycling gloves. you always go for snowboarding gloves.

I have a pair that are the split-mitt style, work really well, although when I wear them I want to talk like Zoidberg all the time.

Honestly, I'm glad this thread exists, but I have no idea where to even begin so I'll just ask what's a good enough bike for getting places and what tools do I need to purchase along with it to build it? I don't need anything crazy because I'll just be using it to go back forth between school but I didn't want some cheap walmart crap.
Well... I can tell you that you'll want a road bike. Lets start there. :D

As for tools, pretty much all you need to put a bike together are some allen keys, a 15mm spanner (wrench) for the pedals and a Pozidriv / Phillips screwdriver.

Well I see people spending crazy amounts of money on some of these nice looking bikes, but as a broke college student my budget is only 250 lol.

I imagine your best best will be a used bike. Do you know anyone who would be capable of checking one over to make sure there were no problems with it?

I can't really speak for the US, but I don't think you'll really be able to get anything new for that sort of money.

vidcons

Banned
Yeah, no, your best bet is going to be Craigslist.

Good news is that the best bikes for $250 on CL are going to be awesome steel frames and charmingly ghetto aluminums.

If there is a Goodwill nearby then just go pick up anything that feels good for $50.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Rode from 190ish to 54th street last night along the bike path without front lights lol, what an experience. Almost fell into the river (jk lol) but did almost crash... I'm glad I didnt damage my bike or myself, only a little tear on my new gloves lol... oh well it could of been worse.

I look forward to doing this shit nearly every day. . I wonder how the ride back up is going to feel lol

I was going pretty fast almost wiped out hahaha

The key to any bike is its frame. If the frame is good then everything else can be improved over time... if the frame is shit, then there's really not much you can do to fix the bike. Especially in road bikes where good / bad suspension isn't an issue. Over time you can obviously upgrade various bits of your bike around the frame. Better saddle, better pedals, higher quality gears, better brakes better wheels etc. Usually as you spend more money equipment tends to get lighter... though not always better.

As for the frame you linked, no idea. I'm no filthy roadie! :p

You'll get much, much more bang for your buck used though. Spend $225 and the other $25 on a nice saddle if you don't like the idea of using someone else's. ;)

Jobiensis

I think you'd be better off trying to find something used. If you put miles on it, that Schwinn will be falling apart in no time.

The upgrades will cost much more than the bike itself.

Ok, so it seems the best bet is to buy used, but would this bike with some upgrades be a decent or should I just not look to places like Amazon?

Do not buy such a bike. Never buy Wal-mart stuff either.

If you absolutely must spend as little as possible, you could check out bikesdirect.com. You can get a decent deal there, but your bike will not be "good" or even "decent". What you get there is the absolute bare minimum (it functions, and doesn't break right away--that's about it).

Better is to go used. Or check out a bike co-op or something nearby.

Then in the $700-800 dollar range, actual bike brands will have models (Cannondale, Trek, Felt, Giant, Specialized).

I'd say: If you're up for a road bike, buy a used Speclialized Allez or something from Craiglist. (Or a comparable model from a different brand.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Folding bikes like that are really only suitable for transportation. I'd never use it for recreation. Because the fit is a bit awkward, you can't really exert yourself and remain comfortable.

You should be able to find some comparisons online of folders in different price ranges. All I know is that Brompton is considered a good brand (but UK based), and in the US there's Bike Friday which is also pretty popular.

Thing is, with the way the mobiky folds I feel like it would be a pretty good bike if I have to go into cramped spaces.

MobikyGenius.jpg

I'll look into other options though.

SmokyDave

New toy has landed:

I've only had a brief whip 'round the car park so far but I reckon we'll get along famously. It accelerates like my P1 but seems even more sure-footed than my FSR. It's good to be back on a GT too. Now to change the brakes, change the valve caps, rotate the tires so the logos line up properly and add a chain device!

Oooh, a bashguard too. Serious business! Made a nice job of that on the whole. Very cool.

Edit - What's with the huge, industrial looking stem?

SmokyDave

Oooh, a bashguard too. Serious business! Made a nice job of that on the whole. Very cool.

Edit - What's with the huge, industrial looking stem?

It's a RaceFace Evolve DH stem. Nice piece of kit but it's a 50mm extension and I've got a 35mm at home I'm tempted to swap it for. That or a 35mm Kore Repute.

The theme of the bike is very much 'bombproof' so the stem fits in nicely!

Bazza

should probably add a pic of mine in the dedicated thread.

bike_zps4815d40b.jpg

Because i hadn't been on a bike for about 10 years before buying this my legs are taking some time getting used to cycling again but im slowly feeling the benefits.

SmokyDave

Aye, bombproof works.

Oh, and trim those hoses before you get them caught on something end end up in a painful tangled mess. :p
I think I'm gonna ditch the brakes altogether and get some XTs or some Hope M4s. I really don't like the look of the braided hoses, I want black hoses instead. I'd swap 'em but then I'm not keen on the grey colour of the calipers / levers and I don't really like the feel either. Also, it's currently got 185mm rotors front & back and I want the rear to be a 160mm.

All-in-all, it's new brakes time!

Oppo

I am feeling nauseous, way too many mountain bikes.

oh come on, don't start with that. i hate bike snobbery. they all have their uses.

personally I much prefer riding a mtn. bike style around the city, so I can easily cut across grass or not die with my wheel stuck in a streetcar track.

SmokyDave

I am feeling nauseous, way too many mountain bikes.

I don't understand how any cyclist can take issue with mountain bikes. They're far more versatile than any other type of bike and the benefits of that are readily apparent.

There's nothing better than getting off the beaten path.

Jobiensis

oh come on, don't start with that. i hate bike snobbery. they all have their uses.

Chill, If I was being serious I'd comment on the morons on fixies riding salmon.

I don't understand how any cyclist can take issue with mountain bikes. They're far more versatile than any other type of bike and the benefits of that are readily apparent.

There's nothing better than getting off the beaten path.

I guess I need to put in a j/k.

Jobiensis

vidcons

Banned
not sure why we need to pretend like mountain bikers are not jealous of how much more often roadies get to flash their dick fold to the common public.

No matter what, as long as you can meet up with some riders at a bar and still be in full gear, who cares what you're riding. It's a leg competition, anyways.

Top Bottom