• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

ATF487

Just christened my bike today, 20 miles from home to 128 and back on the Minuteman bikeway. It was really nice, lots of fields, ponds, and only one tricky bit where you have to cross an intersection

I think I'm going to need a road bike eventually though! My trek hybrid seems perfect for the city but the road bikers were going so fast...

vidcons

Banned
Don't know that I've given that much thought. Shouldn't be "locked" I'm guessing? How should I be riding? This road bike stuff is new to me.

you want to be loosey goosey, your upper body should be relaxed, elbows bent. don't flare them out, either. if your elbows can't bend or you're shrugging you shoulders to reach then you're too far away from the handlebars. fix that by moving the saddle forward (and in that case, raise your saddle a bit if your leg alignment is good) or get a shorter steam or one with a better angle for you. if none of those are working then you're top tube is just too damn and long and fuck the bike shop you went to for giving you a shit fit.

WEGGLES

I hope it's ok to ask here, and hasn't been asked a billion times but I'm looking to get a bike for myself for the summer.

I know I want a hybrid bike but that's about it.

I've been asking some people I know for advice on what to get, what to look for etc etc.

So far, from what I can tell I want to spend $400-$600 Canadian dollars on it. I want a light frame and comfortable seat. Gears aren't important, really. For what I need, I don't need 18 speeds etc.

This is what I've gathered from taking to people.

Any bits of advice for bike shopping? I have a few stores near by to look at. What are some brands and models to keep an eye out for in my price range?

Thanks a ton.

Need be, I can order online from an American retailer to my dad's p.o. box in the USA but I'd prefer not unless the price difference is huge.

Jobiensis

^^^ Find a bike shop in your area that you like and talk to them. There is very little difference in the large manufacturers. Trek, Giant, Specialized have some nice hybrids. Don't know anything on Canadian pricing.

Don't know that I've given that much thought. Shouldn't be "locked" I'm guessing? How should I be riding? This road bike stuff is new to me.

As vidcons said... loose. Your posture should be relaxed, including your grip on the bars. If you tighten up every bump is jarring your joints. You could ask the bike shop about it, they could verify your posture and fit on a trainer.

I wouldn't take any sort of pain for granted with the amount of hours that you ride. You don't want to get injured.

you want to be loosey goosey, your upper body should be relaxed, elbows bent. don't flare them out, either. if your elbows can't bend or you're shrugging you shoulders to reach then you're too far away from the handlebars. fix that by moving the saddle forward (and in that case, raise your saddle a bit if your leg alignment is good) or get a shorter steam or one with a better angle for you. if none of those are working then you're top tube is just too damn and long and fuck the bike shop you went to for giving you a shit fit.

As vidcons said... loose. Your posture should be relaxed, including your grip on the bars. If you tighten up every bump is jarring your joints. You could ask the bike shop about it, they could verify your posture and fit on a trainer.

I wouldn't take any sort of pain for granted with the amount of hours that you ride. You don't want to get injured.

Thank you both. My guess is that I'm tightening up. It's definitely horrible when I hit bumps, which mainly happens on bike paths. Still trying to get a handle on this thing. Will be going back to the bike shop this weekend just in case to ask if I may need an adjustment.

Appreciate the info..shit is just getting painfully frustrating.

Edit:

Just getting in from riding 29 miles..think you guys were right. Maybe a small tingling left over from yesterday, but NOTHING like the pain I've been in. Feels strange to focus on keeping my arms loose..I'm sure I'll get used to it. Thanks again!

WEGGLES

Bought a bike today.

Specialized Crosstrail.

27JeMp8.jpeg

Pretty happy with it so far.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
1995 Bianchi Veloce

jb1N6RYowf3Et9.jpg

Got it as a gift. Only paid for a tune-up and new handlebar tape.

Thing is fast as fuck, goddamn.

Campagnolo parts and Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tires.

Stasis

Nothing to do with being trendy at all, though I did find out about them because they're trendy, but I'm thinking about getting a single speed. Specifically a Pure Fix "The Papa" that comes with front brakes to which I'll add the rear set.

My gf and I already have hybrids, but they're getting along in age and would require some upgrading and investment. We're interested in having these "toys" for casual riding around our flat neighborhood that has a bunch of bike paths. Just smooth riding and chatting from our place down to the historic fort along the water with a little exercise thrown in. I like longboarding around my area and suggested that she get one and come with me, but she's terrified of anything skateboard, so that's when we looked into these more seriously.

We were looking into getting some pretty decent road bikes this Summer initially but we've just got too much going on to throw $2000 into that right now. When we do invest in real bikes I want to do it properly. So any thoughts on this for our situation in particular? Not interested in the fixed side of the hub, nor in riding with no brakes, even in our flat area. I haven't ridden a single speed bike since my BMX like 15 years ago! Just curious to see what wisdom some of you may have for me. Please don't hate!

WEGGLES

I need a decent indoor bike stand for 2 or 3 bikes. Cheaper the better, but I don't want something that'll damage my bike.

Any suggestions? Even multiple single bike stands will work. It needs to go on the floor.

Thank's for any suggestions.

Took my new Crosstrail out for a ride today. 6km of errands (out for breakfast with friends, plus 2 grocery stores). Rides like a dream, REALLY happy with it. I'm definitely incredibly out of shape, though ;_;. It could be my recent blood donation though, (fri), Takes some time to get the red blood cells back :s.

Eager to bike to/from work though. It's nearly 8km a day, so that'll hopefully slim me down a bit.

EDIT:

Also need a bike lock. Suggestions? ULock? Chain Lock? Where to order (Can be USA or Canadian based retailer)? I don't need it yet. Using my roommates cable lock to lock it up in the basement at work. Should be reasonably secure there, I'd hope. Cameras in the area, and it's in an area where employees can only access...

I live in London Ontario Canada, city of approx. 350k people. I'll be mostly locking it up during the day out and about doing errands (grocery stores, shops downtown, at the college etc). Won't be leaving it out overnight.

Any other general suggestions to someone new-ish to biking?

Socreges

Banned
Getting a bike for my gf. Hoping you guys could give me some insights/tips.

Bike would optimally:

- be good/efficient on the road (no mountain bikes with thick tires)
- be able to go on trails (no speedy road bikes with thin tires)
- be able to bike up hills (no 7-gear comfort bikes)

Should I be looking strictly at hybrids then? Any other 'type' of bike that would work?

For example, this Specialized bike is one that we were looking at. It's a bit expensive, but would you say that'd be a good bike for her needs?

For a budget of $300-500, are there any particular bikes that you'd suggest?

Thanks in advance, Bicycle Age.

[edit]

Also, where the hell do you guys find good used bikes? Would love to get an older model hybrid that's great quality, but after a quick glance on Craigslist it seems like a needle in a haystack

The Norco Yorkville - what are the drawbacks, as you guys see them? Honestly don't have much idea what I'm looking at when reading specs.

brentech

Getting a bike for my gf. Hoping you guys could give me some insights/tips.

Bike would optimally:

- be good/efficient on the road (no mountain bikes with thick tires)
- be able to go on trails (no speedy road bikes with thin tires)
- be able to bike up hills (no 7-gear comfort bikes)

Should I be looking strictly at hybrids then? Any other 'type' of bike that would work?

For example, this Specialized bike is one that we were looking at. It's a bit expensive, but would you say that'd be a good bike for her needs?

For a budget of $300-500, are there any particular bikes that you'd suggest?

Thanks in advance, Bicycle Age.

[edit]

Also, where the hell do you guys find good used bikes? Would love to get an older model hybrid that's great quality, but after a quick glance on Craigslist it seems like a needle in a haystack

The Norco Yorkville - what are the drawbacks, as you guys see them? Honestly don't have much idea what I'm looking at when reading specs.
While it sounds like a hybrid is the way to go, if it's not a surprise gift bike, I think you should first go to a bike shop and at least get her to test what type of bike setup she's comfortable on.
I probably wouldn't just by something online all willy-nilly and then find out she hates the feel of it. Local bike shop should be able to get her fitted for the right size as well. If there is nothing available at the store in your price range, so be it, and buy online, but at least you know what you're looking for.

Jobiensis

Did the LA circuit race yesterday afternoon. Was pretty aggressive, chased down a breakaway (only to have it dissolve once I got there). Tried to form my own break away but no one wanted to work, so ended falling back into the pack. Started a 110% effort for a podium finish sprinting off the front, unfortunately about 500m too early. Resulted in one hell of a lead-out for a group, and me blowing up and having to sit up and finishing in the back of the pack.

I really hope once I cat up, there will be less sketchiness. Very few are willing to pull, so the pack yo-yos as someone puts some effort into it, goes to pull off, and the person behind just swerves to keep behind him. It is really annoying how much braking is going on in these races, (this wasn't a crit, there was a two mile straight away before you turn around). Almost got wiped out a handful of times by someone either slamming on their brakes or turning into me. Three times had to put my hand or shoulder on people to keep them from sandwiching me. Fun but very frustrating, results don't show how much work went into it. I could have sat in the pack and got a much better finish.

I need a decent indoor bike stand for 2 or 3 bikes. Cheaper the better, but I don't want something that'll damage my bike.

I haven't found any stands at retail that are worth anything. I bought a several and ended up returning all of them. I would either get hooks and hang them on the wall/ceiling or make a stand with wood similar to this pic.
7gVJk9Z.jpg

Then you hang the bikes by the saddle, it is quick and there is no fear of the bike falling, the stand tipping or it marring the paint on the bike.

vidcons

Banned
Did the LA circuit race yesterday afternoon. Was pretty aggressive, chased down a breakaway (only to have it dissolve once I got there). Tried to form my own break away but no one wanted to work, so ended falling back into the pack. Started a 110% effort for a podium finish sprinting off the front, unfortunately about 500m too early. Resulted in one hell of a lead-out for a group, and me blowing up and having to sit up and finishing in the back of the pack.

I really hope once I cat up, there will be less sketchiness. Very few are willing to pull, so the pack yo-yos as someone puts some effort into it, goes to pull off, and the person behind just swerves to keep behind him. It is really annoying how much braking is going on in these races, (this wasn't a crit, there was a two mile straight away before you turn around). Almost got wiped out a handful of times by someone either slamming on their brakes or turning into me. Three times had to put my hand or shoulder on people to keep them from sandwiching me. Fun but very frustrating, results don't show how much work went into it. I could have sat in the pack and got a much better finish.

Yup. Can't wait to get out of the C's and 5's. People just don't know how to handle their bike. Similar thing happened on my road race yesterday. Nobody could muster a strong pull, nobody would stick to a rotation and commit to pulls, and every technical environment had me pulling away from everyone because I didn't need to brake.

I know it's one thing to acknowledge you have teammates in a break and not chase them but it's better to fight for another guy in the top 10 than sit up until it's time to sprint for 11th. At best you get 11th, at worst you come in at the end of that pack. Quitting half-through a race pisses me off.

Time to start training for an upgrade to B's. Maybe some racing in the 5's.

Congrats on your race, though. At least it was really, really good training, right?

Ketch

This has probably been asked a bunch in this thread, but I'm looking to get into cycling.

I'm doing my first triathlon this summer and need to get a bike to compete in it. I can do the mileage easily on a stationary, but I want to get an actual bike and start now by biking my daily commute which is just over the mileage for the triathlon... so it should be good.

I just have no idea what kind of bike to get, or even just what to look for in a bike. I'm hoping not to spend a ridiculous amount of money either.

Any suggestions?

Jobiensis

Any suggestions?

Are you asking what type of bike to get, or what mfr/model to get?

I have no idea what the rules are for tris, but you will need a road bike of some sort to be competitive (drop and/or aero bars). Without a price point, I don't think anyone can offer any suggestions. Find a bike shop and talk to them.

Congrats on your race, though. At least it was really, really good training, right?

Oh yeah, my heartrate hit highs I didn't think was possible.

I did learn a bit from it, it is good knowing you can recover from putting out a big effort. I just need to be more selective on when I put out an effort for. Time trialing on your own off the front starts to suck pretty quickly.

Ketch

Are you asking what type of bike to get, or what mfr/model to get?

I have no idea what the rules are for tris, but you will need a road bike of some sort to be competitive (drop and/or aero bars). Without a price point, I don't think anyone can offer any suggestions. Find a bike shop and talk to them.

I guess I was just looking for a place to start, I'll try a bike shop.... any thing I should know before going in there? I don't want to get taken for a ride (HIYO).

I've got an asshole of a bottom bracket that wont budge. Just bought a 15inch wrench to try and get more leverage. Any suggestions besides that?

Jobiensis

I guess I was just looking for a place to start, I'll try a bike shop.... any thing I should know before going in there? I don't want to get taken for a ride (HIYO).

Go to more than one, talk to them, ask a lot of questions, pick the shop that fits you best. I'm presuming you are prepared to spend 1-2k, which is the price point of a nice entry level road bike. If you want to get cheaper, you might be better served looking in craigslist, but then you'll have to figure out what size bike is best and do the initial fit (or pay someone to do it). You can do online/bikesdirect, but I think that isn't an optimal choice for a neophyte.

waypoetic

Banned
Dipping my toes in this thread for the first time. I just bought a new bike and i'm on the look out for a bike light, thinking about getting this :

Moon_Comet.jpg

Any of you guys have this bike light? (Moon Comet)

vidcons

Banned
Don't know anything about that one. I'd say just go to your LBS and grab whatever brand they carry that has a charger. 400+ lumens is a decent light.

A light is something you don't want to skimp on and... look, rule of the bike thread, just go to the store. It's an outdoor activity, don't spend money on the odd cheap product you find on amazon. Most of the time you just need to go to the store and get an understanding of what brands you should look out for.

ameratsu

I have never been a fan of buying lights from local bike shops. If you are comfortable using a site like dx.com, you can get a pretty fantastic light for under $10 shipped. I have this plus a handlebar mount (<$3).

For a taillight, I'd recommend something like this. It's a clone of the PlanetBike Superflash, and is very bright, cheap, and durable.

muu

got the OK from the PT to ride a little bit a day! gonna start easy and see how far I can go, hopefully get back into commuting by using the bus for part of the trip (15mi vs 2+4mi ride). Gonna be cautious, but I'm so fucking excited to get back into this.

vidcons

Banned
My elbow is missing a good chunk of meat.

Always wear helmets. Only thing that's messed up on the bike is the shift and rear derailleur. Both just need to be realigned.

SmokyDave

Is that the FSR XC or the Stumpjumper?

I have an 09 FSR XC Comp. Love it to bits, whack some nice shocks on it and you can blaze through anything and everything.

Just back from hitting the local trails. Beautiful evening.
It's an 09 FSRxc Expert. As you say, it's an extremely capable piece of kit. Probably more capable than the rider!

I'm swapping the forks on the FSR for some newer Recons that were on my GT. Sending 'em off to TFTuning today to have the travel adjusted and a good 'ol service in time for the nice weather. Then I need to find some black linkage plates to match the new forks and I'm done. For now.

vidcons

Banned
Damn, replacing your kit all the time must get pricey! ;)

So what happened?

Agree on the helmets, just not worth the risk.

Ha, some teammate is going to let me borrow a pair of bibs until next season.

Was going downhill and slipped on some gravel. Hit the groun at 30mph. The picture doesn't really give a full view of the wound which is about half the length of my thigh. Most of my entire right side in shredded but it's okay because ladies dig scars.

Right?!?

brentech

anyone recommend a good bike app? for things like tracking distance traveled, calories burned etc.
Been using MapMyRide the last few years. Gives a Google map of your ride. Or you can choose a route before the ride and it will give you the directions as you go.
Provides split average speeds.
Calories burned.
Overall AVG speed, a climb chart, all that jazz. I think it's probably the most common cycling iPhone app. See if it fits your liking.

Onikaan

It's an 09 FSRxc Expert. As you say, it's an extremely capable piece of kit. Probably more capable than the rider!

I'm swapping the forks on the FSR for some newer Recons that were on my GT. Sending 'em off to TFTuning today to have the travel adjusted and a good 'ol service in time for the nice weather. Then I need to find some black linkage plates to match the new forks and I'm done. For now.

Had my Comp for a few years now. Just in the process of striping it down to the frame, new bearings, new chainset, gears... everything! She's going to be beautiful again.

What kind of trails do you get out on, Dave?

Top Bottom