• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Oppo

Is it rude to bike on a sidewalk? Where I live the cement is coated in potholes and is poorly taken care of, and the side walks are really empty (in a 30 minute bike ride I pass maybe 1-3 people). I have cars constantly honking at me and one nearly hit me today. I was wondering if it'd be acceptable given the situation.

Generally yes. And yeah it sucks to have drivers yell at you, but the bike belongs on the road. Most cities have by-laws that limit wheel size for bikes on sidewalks to toddler-sized bikes.

MarkusRJR

Just checked the law in my city, and it's illegal. That is just stupid considering how no one uses the sidewalks. My city has pathetically small roads with constant damage and no bike lanes anywhere. How the fuck do they expect for me to go anywhere on a bike without getting honked at constantly, hit, or having my bike damaged...

I fucking hate this city.

Onikaan

Yup, how'd you know?

For example, here are some impressions from fellow bikers. Apparently they were charging $110 per biker when there was construction and people went onto the sidewalks. Cops literally sat there all day. It's actually frustrating because cars don't even give you a feet of room. It's like a living nightmare being squished against the curb while some drivers zoom by right beside you.

Here in the Scotland ( and probably the rest of the UK ) there are designated sidewalks for cyclists to share with pedestrians. It's a brilliant idea, get's the biker out of the way of danger on busy sections of road. Usually if I'm on a section of sidewalk I shouldn't be I dismount when ever I approach a pedestrian and walk the bike past them, then hop back on.

The police here care more about how visible you are to traffic, than where you are on the road.

Jobiensis

I avoid MUPs, there is nothing brilliant about a 4 foot path being shared by cyclists doing ~25mph and people with headphones walking dogs. It may work for some people but it isn't a real solution. I really don't think there is one answer that will solve the 'where do I ride' issue, because as I alluded to there are different types of cyclists.

Overall motorists where I live aren't that bad... until they hit and/or kill you. I maybe encounter a handful of real idiots a year, and I ride a decent amount. I have had far more close calls by people not paying attention than being aggressive on purpose.

I think if you are having a lot of problems with drivers you need to find a different route. Personally, I would choose doing something illegal before doing something unsafe.

Stay safe.

WedgeX

Banned
Do you have a real price point you're willing to spend? Would make it a lost easier to get a fix on what you should look at and to stay away from.

Haha...well honestly, about $300 is all I really have to spend on a bike at the moment, hence used bikes. I figure most bikes in that range will be older, of low quality, or people desperate to get something for their bike if they're moving out of the area.

MTE

Thankfully riding on the sidewalk here (Tasmania, Australia) is completely legal unless signed otherwise (Only really in high density shopping areas)
I used the sidewalk to gain some confidence when I first started riding, and just walked my bike through the no-ride zones. I only ever had probably 2-3 people over the years say anything. I was always careful to not go fast.
MUPs should not have dogs on them! I'm glad ours don't (Or shouldn't...)

Been lurking this thread for awhile, so i thought id share my ride with you guys. Just took advantage of the first warm day of the year with a 40 miler. Its always a nice reminder of how much i love summer.
ODVv6hu.jpg

cbox

Here you go, riding on the MUP in L.A.

And to address some points

1) This isn't me
2) I don't condone this
3) I wish I could sprint like that

My max sprint on my aluminum rb is 43kmph and I feel like puking after, these guys are nuts! I'd love to try a 100% carbon and see the time/speed difference. Max speed I've ever done on my bike was around 70kmph and I was going downhill, it was probably the scariest and most dangerous thing I've done... never again.

waypoetic

Banned
I don't know how it is in America, but where i live (Sweden) the laws regarding bicycle safety and what a bicycle Must have attached to it is pretty strict and clear; front and back light, reflectors on the front and back and atleast one attached to the spokes on either the front or the back tire And the bike must have a bicycle bell.

... And i've noticed how a lot of fixies (both here and in the US) don't have that. I bought mine a week ago and i was all "i don't wanna get fined, better attach all this shit pronto!", but i couldn't get a reflector on the back because all the space had run out because of the bike light i attached back there - so i bought some reflectortape and put that on the seat stay. I think i'm all "legal" right now, but man, shit ain't sexy :p

Jobiensis

My max sprint on my aluminum rb is 43kmph and I feel like puking after, these guys are nuts! I'd love to try a 100% carbon and see the time/speed difference. Max speed I've ever done on my bike was around 70kmph and I was going downhill, it was probably the scariest and most dangerous thing I've done... never again.

I doubt frame material would make any real difference in sprint speeds.

muu

Rode to work this morning w/ the help of the bus. Bike rack was full so I folded up my BikeFriday and brought it in... full bus, but people were surprisingly positive and was talking to me the whole time about the thing I just brought in. Got another DR appointment tomorrow but I definitely want to do this again on Friday. Feels great to ride into work again, gives me something to look forward to in the morning and when I get off work.

Hey guys, my dad bought a Schwinn bike a week ago but hasnt used it once. So decided today to take it out for a spin. Felt so good! Decided to start cycling to get into better shape. Is cycling a good overall workout or is it just good for legs?

davidnic

Yeah the frame material will have little difference or nil. It be more the stiffness that will make a difference in the bottom bracket and the front end mainly.

Hey guys, my dad bought a Schwinn bike a week ago but hasnt used it once. So decided today to take it out for a spin. Felt so good! Decided to start cycling to get into better shape. Is cycling a good overall workout or is it just good for legs?

It is mainly legs but the bike gives you good aerobic fitness.

andylsun

Looking to buy my first new bike since I was a kid. Mainly pavement/Tarmac trails with the odd bit of light forest/dirt.

Went to local bike shop and was really impressed with the Trek 8.4 DS.

I want front shocks, hard tail and discs. It's the top of my budget ($800). Any other recommendations?

I had no idea you could get hydraulic brakes on a bike these days.

I've been riding a hand me down fr the last 3 months (8 miles each run, 4 times a week) but its too small and crappy

vidcons

Banned

It's really, really good for your body and doesn't do any damage to your joints. Eat right, ride a bike, lose pounds and get ripped. Go to the gym for upper body and some core work to round out your physique.

Looking to buy my first new bike since I was a kid. Mainly pavement/Tarmac trails with the odd bit of light forest/dirt.

Went to local bike shop and was really impressed with the Trek 8.4 DS.

I want front shocks, hard tail and discs. It's the top of my budget ($800). Any other recommendations?

I've been riding a hand me down fr the last 3 months (8 miles each run, 4 times a week) but its too small and crappy
You don't need shocks if you're riding pavement. If you're going to be riding a little bit in dirt or on trails, you still don't need shocks. Get shocks if you're going to be really bouncing around with roots and stumps and rocks or are a chump.

cbox

Yeah that was more of what I meant, an overall stiffer bike would benefit for sure. I tried one at a local bike shop the other week and instantly felt the difference. My current bike isn't heavy by any means, but it's not the stiffest it can be. Still love it though!

Jobiensis

Yeah that was more of what I meant, an overall stiffer bike would benefit for sure. I tried one at a local bike shop the other week and instantly felt the difference. My current bike isn't heavy by any means, but it's not the stiffest it can be. Still love it though!

Let me put it this way, if you want to get faster, train. Unless you have a really old aluminum road bike, we are talking about percentage point wattage losses. You might like the feel of the carbon bike, but that doesn't make it faster.

Socreges

Banned
Been in and out of this thread, mostly lurking, as I've been educating myself on bikes. Getting a bike for my girlfriend and hoping to soon get one for myself. Now I'm at the point where I should probably understand more of the specifics.

We're looking at the Norco Indie 4 now (in addition to the Quick 5 and Devinci Milano or St. Tropez). How can I make sense of all these specs? For a $449 bike, is that a good value? If there are some components that look a bit less reliable, which are they?

Pardon my ignorance....

Chris R

Had some rear end strangeness (almost felt like I had shocks installed on the thing or something) last night when I was biking. Would a cause be an improperly seated bead? Taking it in for a tune up tomorrow but would like to bike to the shop but not if the bike is as bad as it was last night.

SmokyDave

We've had hydraulic discs since the early 90's. they weren't mainstream for a while though. I'm about to put some 4-pots on my bike!

You don't need shocks if you're riding pavement. If you're going to be riding a little bit in dirt or on trails, you still don't need shocks. Get shocks if you're going to be really bouncing around with roots and stumps and rocks or are a chump.
The Suntour forks on the Trek in question have a lockout and they're only 63mm travel. Personally I'd recommend front suspension as fully rigid just isn't as comfortable when the going gets rough.

andylsun

The Suntour forks on the Trek in question have a lockout and they're only 63mm travel. Personally I'd recommend front suspension as fully rigid just isn't as comfortable when the going gets rough.

Thanks, I want a bike that I can use on trails and will last me a good few years. If I start going nuts and get more adventurous I don't want to have to change bikes.

Any other brands/makes worth looking at or avoiding?

suikodan

I'm angry. I started my bike season this Wednesday only to have my bike repaired.

I ride to work back and forth. It's a 22km-ish ride times two and my best average is 1 hour to cover that distance.

The wind was against me that morning and it was my first ride so I expected to make it in 1h15 at best.

I was on a bridge above a highway that goes to Montreal and I hit a little bump. I thought my back wheel got a flat so I stopped but the tire was fine. When I wanted to get back on the road, I noticed that the wheel wouldn't turn anymore. The brakes were stuck and then I noticed that the wheel was bent due to that bump.

Results: Brakes must be repaired, wheel will probably need to be replaced, yadayada. I've had this bike since at least 8 years now and I wonder if I need a new one.

http://runkeeper.com/user/Suikodan/activity/174433412?&tripIdBase36=2vupok

The average has been messed up because I didn't stop my activity when I got off the bike.

Jobiensis

That is a nice bike.

I'm angry. I started my bike season this Wednesday only to have my bike repaired.

I ride to work back and forth. It's a 22km-ish ride times two and my best average is 1 hour to cover that distance.

The wind was against me that morning and it was my first ride so I expected to make it in 1h15 at best.

I was on a bridge above a highway that goes to Montreal and I hit a little bump. I thought my back wheel got a flat so I stopped but the tire was fine. When I wanted to get back on the road, I noticed that the wheel wouldn't turn anymore. The brakes were stuck and then I noticed that the wheel was bent due to that bump.

Results: Brakes must be repaired, wheel will probably need to be replaced, yadayada. I've had this bike since at least 8 years now and I wonder if I need a new one.

http://runkeeper.com/user/Suikodan/activity/174433412?&tripIdBase36=2vupok

The average has been messed up because I didn't stop my activity when I got off the bike.

FWIW, not knowing anything about your bike, bikes can last a long time, it isn't years that kill them, it is crashes, miles and environment. I wouldn't take having to get new wheels as a sign that the bike's useful life is over. I've trashed a wheelset within a day of getting it. Try not to hit things! ;)

SmokyDave

Thanks, I want a bike that I can use on trails and will last me a good few years. If I start going nuts and get more adventurous I don't want to have to change bikes.

Any other brands/makes worth looking at or avoiding?
I'm no good with hybrid / trail bikes to be honest. I'm growing an affinity for Specialized lately, it might be worth checking their range out.

New bike!

e7b93ac98a215a45770f3342738a84d3_zps5b327e64.jpg
I'm drooling profusely. Love a nice Yeti. What's going on with the angle of the seat though?! ;)

suikodan

FWIW, not knowing anything about your bike, bikes can last a long time, it isn't years that kill them, it is crashes, miles and environment. I wouldn't take having to get new wheels as a sign that the bike's useful life is over. I've trashed a wheelset within a day of getting it. Try not to hit things! ;)

I did get my share of crashes and hhad my bike repaired over the years and I try to avoid obstacles but there isn't any particular bike section on the streets and they're aren't well maintained either. The bump I got was "really" small compared to what I did get in the past.

I need to start fresh anyways and I'll take a new bike as a motivation to keep pushing myself and taking better care of my bikes from now on. :p

Jobiensis

Just saw a classified for an SRM Cannondale Si Hollowgram. Hmmm, About the price I'd pay for a new Quarq Elsa I could get a slightly used SRM and a Hollowgram crank and get it all freshly serviced/calibrated. Right size crank, Right bottom bracket, it is a compact, silver cranks and it could line up nicely with the bike teardown/overhaul I'm planning later this month.

It feels like this is almost destiny, wonder if my wife will feel the same way.

brentech

Anyone heard of or actually use a bike shelf?
Need to get more space in my garage. Would like my 2 bikes and my wife's to better be out of the way. Thinking about this bike shelf, but not willing to pay the crazy cost of premade. Gotta find a way to make it on my own.

Something like.

BS_Lrg_04.jpg

vidcons

Banned
Cheapest option would be to get some hooks that you can put into studs or the ceiling. They work, just go the distance in making sure they're on tight.

brentech

Cheapest option would be to get some hooks that you can put into studs or the ceiling. They work, just go the distance in making sure they're on tight.

I guess I should have mentioned I already have a little something for 2 of the bikes, but they aren't real space friendly. Works fine, totally out of the way with the one pictured (which now holds my road bike).....but, it's not as simple as just hooks into the studs.

pzMbthpl.jpg

It's basically an 'A" bracket with the hooks mounted on the cross of the A, allowing the bike to hang further out from the wall so the pedals and handlebars don't smash into the wall.
I also had to mount the one hook bracket that holds the front end of the bike higher so the handlebar didn't hang down in the way.
(I get the bike down by removing that end first, then the back wheel. And put it on in reverse. They're just a bit of a hassle.)

The shelf style would a get the bars out of the way without having to go as high, which is why I like it. Was just curious if anyone used them before or ever made them. Doesn't seem complicated, but you do have to be able to get some distance form the wall for the same reason.

One way or the other, I'm going to have to redo the mounts in my garage to have things better spaced. It's annoying having to keep my mountain bike in the basement. Guess I just have some re-organizing to do.

Jobiensis

http://app.strava.com/activities/52363157
Perfect weather except for ~7 miles.

I am wrecked. Never figure a tailwind on a climb would be bad. Burned through two water bottles in half an hour. Black kit, no breeze, no shade, 90F can make a climb miserable. Once I was through that section, tried to make it up, but was massively dehydrated for the remainder of the ride, fighting off cramps. Forced stops because of cramps really screwed up the timed portion of the ride, was hoping for sub 6, got 6:21. Maybe get there if I'm dumb enough to sign up for this next year.

What?! You have to get that.

Tried, but it was already sold. :( Good news is I have spousal approval, may just get a used hollowgram and add on the SRM.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Holy shit man that was a haul. Well done.

Something similar happened to me last summer, I was out riding some country roads and got out way farther than I meant to because I had the wind behind me. I turned around to go back and the wind hit me like a ton of bricks. It was so hot that the wind didn't help cool you, it was more like furnace blasts, and I had an empty water bottle. When I finally made it back I collapsed and didn't touch my bike for a week.

WedgeX

Banned
Well, my bike search concluded today with a 1995 Giant Kronos Road Racing Sport 21 Speed. Feeling pretty good about it.

iD8bOiCiX7xji.JPG

Top Bottom