• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

SmokyDave

Had my Comp for a few years now. Just in the process of striping it down to the frame, new bearings, new chainset, gears... everything! She's going to be beautiful again.

What kind of trails do you get out on, Dave?
Pretty gentle stuff for the last few months because I'm easing the missus into mountain biking. I really enjoy pretty technical stuff, though I'm growing an aversion to high speed trails as I get older. There's a decent trail centre a few miles from my place but I've not set a wheel in there for a while. We're quite lucky to have a nice country park right on the doorstep that has a variety of stuff going on, including stuff like this:

6c98xmqqhno2h00nkpxh.jpg

I can't tell you how sketchy the landing is for that humongous jump in the background. I haven't ever jumped it yet, and I'm not certain I ever will. It's nice to have it ten minutes from home though!

Jobiensis

Ha, some teammate is going to let me borrow a pair of bibs until next season.

Was going downhill and slipped on some gravel. Hit the groun at 30mph. The picture doesn't really give a full view of the wound which is about half the length of my thigh. Most of my entire right side in shredded but it's okay because ladies dig scars.

Right?!?

Yes, but a more compelling story would help. I would try to have it involve a Pro Italian race team and a frame pump.

Onikaan

Pretty gentle stuff for the last few months because I'm easing the missus into mountain biking. I really enjoy pretty technical stuff, though I'm growing an aversion to high speed trails as I get older. There's a decent trail centre a few miles from my place but I've not set a wheel in there for a while. We're quite lucky to have a nice country park right on the doorstep that has a variety of stuff going on, including stuff like this:

I can't tell you how sketchy the landing is for that humongous jump in the background. I haven't ever jumped it yet, and I'm not certain I ever will. It's nice to have it ten minutes from home though!

Nice! That GT is beautiful, yours?

I'm blessed to live just over the border, 7 stanes on my doorstep, and if the notion takes we go down to the Lake District. It's trail centre stuff mostly but a little but of local knowledge can lead you to the hidden gems throughout the stanes.

I purchased a new bike last year - and it's my first bike with hydraulic brakes. I'm not a huge fan of them - I like my brakes really tight - but now after sitting all winter I've found them with almost no pressure at all, or barely any pressure. They still stopped the bike, but the handles had to be depressed most of the way. And I just paid 60 bucks to get the bled.

Is this normal? Am I going to have to do this every spring?

Is this normal? Am I going to have to do this every spring?
Learn do do it yourself, I bleed my brakes every few months and once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If they're cheap and nasty, and you ride a lot, expect to do it every few weeks.

If they're doing it right after being bled then I'd take them back to the place that bled them for you. A shit job from a local bike shop is the reason I learned how to do it myself. Have you checked your pads to make sure you've still got some surface left to actually brake with? What make / model are they?

SmokyDave

Nice! That GT is beautiful, yours?

I'm blessed to live just over the border, 7 stanes on my doorstep, and if the notion takes we go down to the Lake District. It's trail centre stuff mostly but a little but of local knowledge can lead you to the hidden gems throughout the stanes.
Yeah, it's my 2005 Brian Lopes frameset. Currently stripped down because it needs to go on a jig and check the alignment, I've a funny feeling all is not well with the back end :(

I wish I lived somewhere a bit less 'urban'. The country park has some nice trails, but I'm starved of impressive views. The missus is pushing for us to move further out of the city next time, so who knows.

Learn do do it yourself, I bleed my brakes every few months and once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If they're cheap and nasty, and you ride a lot, expect to do it every few weeks.

If they're doing it right after being bled then I'd take them back to the place that bled them for you. A shit job from a local bike shop is the reason I learned how to do it myself. Have you checked your pads to make sure you've still got some surface left to actually brake with? What make / model are they?

It's a Scott SUB 10 with the following brakes and levers:
Shimano BR-M 505 hydraulic disc
Shimano BL-M 505 Disc

Any advice on how to do it myself? Tools/books/procedures? I used to wrench on bikes years ago when I was into mtn biking, but that was awhile ago and never with hydraulic brakes.

Thanks.

Chris R

Almost bike season again (took it out for a quick mile, glad it was only a mile though, I need to get it tuned up (and I need to get back in shape!)).

Anyone have a preferred "commuter" 700x23(or 25) tire? Only had one puncture last year, but it was a total loss of both tube and tire. Something with treads might not be the worst thing in the world either, don't like cornering in the wet right now with my slicks. Thinking of grabbing new tires, new tubes and getting my bike tuned up sometime in this next week.

ameratsu

Almost bike season again (took it out for a quick mile, glad it was only a mile though, I need to get it tuned up (and I need to get back in shape!)).

Anyone have a preferred "commuter" 700x23(or 25) tire? Only had one puncture last year, but it was a total loss of both tube and tire. Something with treads might not be the worst thing in the world either, don't like cornering in the wet right now with my slicks. Thinking of grabbing new tires, new tubes and getting my bike tuned up sometime in this next week.

Conti Gatorskin.

I put some Schwalbe's on my hybrid commuter bike 2 years ago and I haven't had a flat since. OTOH, my road bike came with Gatorskins and I got a flat within two weeks. I ran over a spring (kind of like this, but smaller) and it went right through the tire and tube. Luckily I was on a ride with the guy who owns the bike store I bought the bike from and he had it changed and reinstalled in like 5 minutes.

brentech

Ever look into cyclocross bikes? If I could only get one bike it would be cyclocross
Yea, that'd be my answer as well. For all the reasons he wants the bike, your going to end it wanting dropped handlebars most likely. Cyclocross gives you the best versatility.

I just wanted to take my mountain bike on a ride yesterday with my wife since I had one been riding my road bike this year so far. Such a difference. Hard to believe I road that thing on longer road rides. So much resistance and just loud on the road. That thing shifts so cleanly though. Also had to get used to having disc brakes again. Almost threw myself the first time I squeezed my brakes yesterday, lol.

Draper

Thanks guys. I'm pretty ignorant to bikes, but the one 'cyclocross' they offer is a tad steep for me. Are there any other alternative quality brands that are more reasonably priced?

Socreges

Banned
Bought a bike today.

Specialized Crosstrail.

Pretty happy with it so far.
Mind telling me how much you paid for it? And where you got it from (online?)? Looks like it might be a good fit for what we're looking for.

Anyone familiar with the Cannondale Quick 5 (2013)? We've looked at local stores and it seems to be the best hybrid (women's) bike available for ~$500.

Would love to order online, but it's not as easy for Canadians apparently.

muu

Got probably like 6 miles over the weekend going to parks and such. Feels pretty good. Not gonna use the GPS for a while since I'm clearly out of shape and knowing how slow I'm going will make me a little depressed.

Completed a 'century' yesterday - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/381651 - and it was much better than the 76 mile I did two weeks ago in that I didn't feel completely drained at mile 50. I ran out of water (2L pack plus a water bottle) but luckily there was a gas station and I had a credit card. Took four sandwiches - only got to eat three as one fell off my table (my map) - and some jerky and granola bars.

The main difference between this ride and the other is that I drank a lot more water this time and ate more frequently. I never felt like I was running out of steam. Moving time was 7:15, total time was 7:59. I had to stop and stretch my back a few times the first 30 miles, I was fine after that though. Well, fine is a relative term because today I'm sore. Like, walking up a flight of 11 stairs makes me want to curl up into a ball.

Jobiensis

Three races this weekend, lesson for the week is patience. Too aggressive, too quickly. It seems to be a recurring theme for me. I need to perfect my bunny hop, I had to do one over a guy's wheel, I pulled it off, it just must have looked pathetic. Big crashes in both crits, managed to get by unscathed. Took out someone's sunglasses, and I'm pretty certain I hit someone with my pedal. Spent three laps in a huge pain cave catching back up to the group, and then wheel sucked for the remaining couple of laps.

Completed a 'century' yesterday - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/381651 - and it was much better than the 76 mile I did two weeks ago in that I didn't feel completely drained at mile 50. I ran out of water (2L pack plus a water bottle) but luckily there was a gas station and I had a credit card. Took four sandwiches - only got to eat three as one fell off my table (my map) - and some jerky and granola bars.

The main difference between this ride and the other is that I drank a lot more water this time and ate more frequently. I never felt like I was running out of steam. Moving time was 7:15, total time was 7:59. I had to stop and stretch my back a few times the first 30 miles, I was fine after that though. Well, fine is a relative term because today I'm sore. Like, walking up a flight of 11 stairs makes me want to curl up into a ball.

Unsupported? That does make it more challenging logistics wise. Good job.

Some heat on your legs for 15 minutes coupled with a bit of massage will help your legs heal up quicker.

Just finished the Strava Specialized challenge (ride 1,319 km in a month)..I feel broken. That's more than I've ever ridden in a month by a bunch. Lost ten pounds along the way..very happy about that! Think I'm taking a couple of days off. Can't believe I rode 36 times in a month..bananas.

WedgeX

Banned
Looking at getting a used Schwinn Fastback 3. Any thoughts on how it rides or weighs? Or if a used, relatively new Schwinn is worth $250?

I'm going to have a look at it and see how it handles, but have not seen one in person.

Hey guys I have a question, and I figured you true enthusiasts could answer it:

My friends and I are riding from VA Beach to DC in a couple of months. We do big urban rides like this all the time, and they are a lot of fun.

However, we don't have road bikes. We have just... well, regular bikes. We kinda have to avoid riding on the roads. My bike, however, is a stout beast of a bike maybe more suited for mountain biking. I would like to put road tires on it. Would this cause any problems? If not, do you know of an economical and functional brand I should use?

WEGGLES

Mind telling me how much you paid for it? And where you got it from (online?)? Looks like it might be a good fit for what we're looking for.

Anyone familiar with the Cannondale Quick 5 (2013)? We've looked at local stores and it seems to be the best hybrid (women's) bike available for ~$500.

Would love to order online, but it's not as easy for Canadians apparently.

Bought it from To Wheels in London Ontario. It was $600 for the base model and $680 for the disc brake model.

I didn't look online for it. I didn't really shop around either. A friend recommended the store and the employees were super helpful for getting fitted to the bike and they do all maintenance for the first year. I'd feel like an ass show-rooming a local bike shop like that.

ameratsu

Looking at getting a used Schwinn Fastback 3. Any thoughts on how it rides or weighs? Or if a used, relatively new Schwinn is worth $250?

I'm going to have a look at it and see how it handles, but have not seen one in person.

Just from a quick look at the specs I wouldn't pay $250 for that bike. Low end derailleurs, crappy shifters, and a no-name crank. Generally speaking try to get a bike from a reputable bike company, even if it's among their cheaper offerings.

Looking at Bikes Direct, but I can't make heads or tails of this site. Someone had recommended a crosstrail, but I don't see that anywhere on the page. I was originally looking at hybrids, but I'm in need of a road bike with potential excursions in the woods, and I'm not looking to spend more than $500 for one.

WedgeX

Banned
Just from a quick look at the specs I wouldn't pay $250 for that bike. Low end derailleurs, crappy shifters, and a no-name crank. Generally speaking try to get a bike from a reputable bike company, even if it's among their cheaper offerings.

meh, topic has already been brazed

I'll take any advice! Mainly just looking for a (relatively) cheap road bike for evening and weekend transportation, but I've no idea about good bike companies. Will be scouring craigslist, primarily.

Jobiensis

The only way a new <$500 road bike is going to last is if you don't ride it. You can save some money by getting a single speed, but overall road bikes are expensive.

I'd avoid triples unless you have no desire to get stronger and live in an incredibly hilly area. They just add weight and complexity and tend to be very finicky. On my most recent century ride, I passed three people that dropped chains at the bottom of hills, all of them had triples. A compact with a 11-28 works very well. You can even go up to a 32 on the cassette.

Looking at Bikes Direct, but I can't make heads or tails of this site. Someone had recommended a crosstrail, but I don't see that anywhere on the page. I was originally looking at hybrids, but I'm in need of a road bike with potential excursions in the woods, and I'm not looking to spend more than $500 for one.

Crosstrail is a Specialized bike, you'll probably only find one at a Specialized dealer. Bikesdirect won't have them.

I'll take any advice! Mainly just looking for a (relatively) cheap road bike for evening and weekend transportation, but I've no idea about good bike companies. Will be scouring craigslist, primarily.

Fuji, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Orbea, Pinarello, Masi, Time, ...

You aren't going to find some of those for cheap. :)

The big three are Specialized, Giant and Trek.

Oppo

Hey guys I have a question, and I figured you true enthusiasts could answer it:

My friends and I are riding from VA Beach to DC in a couple of months. We do big urban rides like this all the time, and they are a lot of fun.

However, we don't have road bikes. We have just... well, regular bikes. We kinda have to avoid riding on the roads. My bike, however, is a stout beast of a bike maybe more suited for mountain biking. I would like to put road tires on it. Would this cause any problems? If not, do you know of an economical and functional brand I should use?

You could do something like Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, they are sort of dual-purpose, and very good against punctures.

WedgeX

Banned
Fuji, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Orbea, Pinarello, Masi, Time, ...

You aren't going to find some of those for cheap. :)

The big three are Specialized, Giant and Trek.

Thanks! Yeah, there are definitely some listing for those brands into the thousands. Unfortunately far and above what I can spend right now. But a fair amount of Trek's at what seem like reasonable prices.

Jobiensis

Tires are a very personal thing. Talk to any cyclist about tires and you are bound to get anecdotes how crappy/wonderful certain tires are, but there will be little common ground between multiple cyclists. Changing a flat on a group ride usually involves getting lectures on how your tire selection was the primary cause of the flat.

With that said

Serfas - suck (flats all the time)
Schwalbe Ultremos DD - suck (still flat, hard to find, slow)
Hutchinson Atoms - suck (flats, flats, flats)
Bontrager - nice (can't remember the tire model)
Gatorskins - horrible (heavy, slow and not much better with flats than GP4ks)
GP4000s - not the fastest or the most puncture resistant, but my favorite all arounder

What tires you can run depend on what size wheels you have. Tire pressure is an important consideration, and you have different ranges for different tire sizes and your weight.

ameratsu

Just to add my 2 cents, I have gatorskins on my commuter and wouldn't trade them for anything. While I agree that GP4000s are a nice tire, if your objective is to have as few flats as possible gatorskins are a great choice. IMO, having extremely good flat protection is a a paramount consideration for selecting commuter tires. Mine are almost worn out after a few years of commuting and I've averaged maybe one flat a year.

WEGGLES

I'm planning on riding my bike to and from work and to and from college this summer. Lots of riding. What sort of maintenance should I be doing?

Do I need a kit with me should something happen in transit? What do I need? What should I know how to do?

Thanks!

vidcons

Banned
you should know:
how to clean a chain
how to lube a chain
how to change a tube

what you'll need in case of an emergency:
a spare tube
tire levers (not metal)
multitool

i think we need a new thread with a better ot. it's summer time and i'm predicting a bunch of posts where people ask questions that are common sense.

SmokyDave

Got my forks back from the wizards at TFTuned. Just chucked 'em on the FSR and they feel like brand new!

Now to spend 6 hours stopping the front brake dragging. Disc brakes are fantastic in operation, but a right pain in the arse to set up properly.

you should know:
how to clean a chain
how to lube a chain
how to change a tube

a spare tube
tire levers (not metal)
multitool

i think we need a new thread with a better ot. it's summer time and i'm predicting a bunch of posts where people ask questions that are common sense.
A link to the Park Tools website would be handy, they have a ton of maintenance guides.

WEGGLES

you should know:
how to clean a chain
how to lube a chain
how to change a tube

a spare tube
tire levers (not metal)
multitool

And yeah a proper OT would be great. Maybe a neogaf group on strava? It's the bicycle App I use.

brentech

Thanks! Yeah, there are definitely some listing for those brands into the thousands. Unfortunately far and above what I can spend right now. But a fair amount of Trek's at what seem like reasonable prices.
Do you have a real price point you're willing to spend? Would make it a lost easier to get a fix on what you should look at and to stay away from.

MarkusRJR

Is it rude to bike on a sidewalk? Where I live the cement is coated in potholes and is poorly taken care of, and the side walks are really empty (in a 30 minute bike ride I pass maybe 1-3 people). I have cars constantly honking at me and one nearly hit me today. I was wondering if it'd be acceptable given the situation.

Jobiensis

Is it rude to bike on a sidewalk? Where I live the cement is coated in potholes and is poorly taken care of, and the side walks are really empty (in a 30 minute bike ride I pass maybe 1-3 people). I have cars constantly honking at me and one nearly hit me today. I was wondering if it'd be acceptable given the situation.

It isn't always legal to ride on the sidewalk. If you are going >15mph you are a danger to pedestrians and may actually be more likely to get hit than riding on the street. That being said, I don't fault people on beach cruisers slowly going down the sidewalk.

Top Bottom