• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

So i've been taking my front wheel off my 29'er and throwing it in the back of my GTI since I built it up a few months ago. Now that it rains every other 5 seconds and most of the trails around don't have bike washes, I think its time for a hitch rack. I ordered a hitch for like $115 and tomorrow i'm going to go with the "buy once, cry once" mentality and get a Kuat Sherpa. Its so pricey but man is it nice. The biggest downside other than the price is that I'd love to leave it on the back of my car while at work, but I'd be too worried it would get jacked eventually, even with the hitch lock.

Couple from yesterday:

p1070625zau6a.jpg

p10706382puc0.jpg

Couple from yesterday:

p1070625zau6a.jpg

p10706382puc0.jpg
Man, I want to ride stuff like that! Would you recommend a trip to there (from Florida) or somewhere else in Europe if I made that hike? The logistics of bringing my bike always kills this idea, but I guess I would look to rent when I land?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Man, I want to ride stuff like that! Would you recommend a trip to there (from Florida) or somewhere else in Europe if I made that hike? The logistics of bringing my bike always kills this idea, but I guess I would look to rent when I land?

Not to diminish Europe, but you can find similarly beautiful locals in the Appalachians, or more stunning ones in the Rockies.

I'd actually do Scotland more than Wales in the UK for natural trails, but if you want mountain biking Mecca, you want Whistler in Canada, Park City (and many other areas) in Utah, Morzine in France or Rotorua New Zealand.

...and yeah, unless you have a particularly special bike I'd probably rent. Though obviously bike boxes are available.

LeBoef

I don't think I ever posted these, my new cyclocross bike;

Custom built 2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross SRAM Red

Also apologies to anyone who had asked me a question regarding bikes in this thread, lot of things came up and I had to go away and tend to them.

cyclocross is amazing. bought one a few days ago and did some 50km rides.
just perfect for changing pavements .
and you got to love those WTF faces of mountain bike riders, when they see you coming out of the woods.

Mascot

Wooh, the Bike Park Wales site is up: http://www.bikeparkwales.com/

Soon my precious, soon.

Edit - Holy shit at all the trails: http://www.bikeparkwales.com/trails
Edit 2 - Their flagship rental bikes are mental: http://www.bikeparkwales.com/Flagship-rental-bikes

Looks fantastic! An old college mate lives nearby - I wonder if I can borrow a couple of utility bills from him and wangle a £40 locals-only season pass?

Found this 2-foot kicker on a new downhill trail today. Looked really good for catching some serious air...

... arse over tit into the nearest tree-trunk.

Look before you leap has never been more appropriate..! :p

Heretic

Are there certain stretches I can do for my arms and chest? I have this horrible pain in or near my sternum. I don't know if I pulled a muscle or something but it was extremely uncomfortable yesterday while laying in bed. It felt like I was close to popping. It's much better now albeit a bit sore. I could have just slept wrong but I don't know.

Which tracker is inaccurate?

I went for a ride today and uploaded the gpx file and Strava gave me 2,945ft and Sports Tracker 4042ft for elevation, there's smaller differences in distance, speed and energy.

Some sites override your GPS's altitude data if you're not using specific models (they assume their data is better). Not sure which though.

Onikaan

What a glorious weekend! Unfortunately, other commitments meant I didn't get a lot of riding done, but I did get the two Specializeds together for a piccie:

Blue is for shits & giggles, red is for 'proper' trail riding.

Hold that FSR Frame tight and never let go, Dave. Such an awesome bike. I'm really hoping Specialized go back to that style over the next couple of years.

Will upload a picture of my own when I get a chance.

Jobiensis

Which tracker is inaccurate?

All of them.

The only reasonably accurate way to track elevation is to use a device with an altimeter (Garmin Edge), but even then a thunderstorm/weather changes can wreak havoc. I know Strava and some others will autocorrect elevation for the GPS only devices, but the results vary from OK, to making anyone look like Froome. You can usually tell by zooming into the ride profiles. I don't think I've ever seen Strava underestimate total ascent.

Garmin
iPhone/SRM

Being that climbing is one of the skills I've spent a good time working on, accurate elevation records are the one thing I really miss with not using a Garmin anymore.

Calorie counts are usually massively optimistic.

Jobiensis

Are we talking about with or without HR data? Because my HR data backed rides on Strava these days are pretty good (within about 15%) when compared to what I get from a power meter.

I guess we differ on what pretty good is, 15% sounds pretty high to me. That is like a doughnut a day!

I do see close to 50% off for a 40 minute race. A more relaxed training session is usually in the 15% range, but once the gloves come off, the calorie estimate delta grows.

You can look at some of my recent races, and you'll see the ones with powermeters have almost half the calorie rates as people without.

Mascot

OK, pedals. I've used full SPDs for many years but have an inherent weakness (permanent ligament damage) in my left ankle which occasionally makes it difficult to disengage quickly, even with the spring tension dialled back to minimum. If I don't get my foot out on slow technical sections where a big rock can cause a sudden stop, then I can keel over like a felled tree. This is quite rare, but it's only a matter of time before one of these turns nasty, either for me or for the bike.

The solution might be a set of single-sided pedals with SPD mech on one side and bear-trap on the other.

PEV002S1.jpg

I can then use the non-SPD side for any sections where I feel I might benefit.

Anyone here use single-sided spuds for MTB riding? How has the experience been? Any buying tips/warnings/recommendations?

Hold that FSR Frame tight and never let go, Dave. Such an awesome bike. I'm really hoping Specialized go back to that style over the next couple of years.

I agree. I am still riding my 2001 FSR Enduro. I've upgraded parts over the years, but see no real need to change the frame. The pivots are all still solid and super smooth! They built this thing to last!

or1RG3n.jpg

Mascot

Speaking of retro bikes, I was cleaning out the garage today and found a box of old photos, including a bunch of biking ones from over twenty years ago. Twenty fucking years. Jesus.

My first MTB, a GT Richter. Check out the cool saddle, gold Rock Shox, Onza bar ends and awesome toe clips. The white Sierra Sapphire 1.6GL was, believe it or not, cool as fuck at the time. I think.

Woooo! Hardcore! Who needs helmets when you have a backwards baseball cap?

Check out this bad bastard, Cannondale's first rear-sprung frame, the SE1000, bought in North America. It pre-dated suspension forks, I think. I broke this frame on a silly jump and Cannondale gave me a newer Headshock frame without even asking for a receipt. Check out the Girvin Flex Stem and velcro water-bottle and cage, and obligatory end-bars. What ever happened to end bars? They were only dangerous when riding through foliage!

Awesome Specialized helmet. Still got it somewhere.

Overcooked an endo on the Cannondale. Didn't feel a thing.

Lutsen Ski Resort on Lake Superior, my first MBT holiday. Can't remember what the bike was, but it was a POS with hardly any brakes. (I know there's a perfectly good bridge in the background but I'm never one to pass up a photo opportunity).

Niagara Falls. Fed up of shitty hire bikes we bought a couple of Cannondales and shipped them home afterwards. Check out the classic MTB clothing of Levis denim jacket, cut-off jeans and bandana. Gore-WHAT?

Christ I feel very old all of a sudden...

muu

rando.jpg

Any randonneurs on here?

I'm doing a 1200km ride in a few months and would love feedback from anyone who has done a long rando event....

Which one you doing? Longest I've done is a 600K, there was 27,000ft of climbing involved though and due to all the climbing I had problems w/ my slightly bum left knee for a while afterwards. Fun times though, wish the guys I was riding with didn't bail halfway. Due to some sustained injuries not completely going away I'm skipping on most brevets this year, though I hope to at least do some 200Ks in the fall.

I assume you've gone through a rando series already (200, 300, 400, 600 -- if not definitely do those before you do a 1200, each one gets you primed for the next one!), good luck on the 1200 and have fun!

Sounds pretty crazy. Sort of thing I'd love to try.

It's as easy as doing a quick search and coughing up 5 - 10 bucks for a ride, a hi-vis vest too if you don't already have one. Work your way up from a populaire (100K) and you'll be surprised how fun randos can be.

codhand

Speaking of retro bikes, I was cleaning out the garage today and found a box of old photos, including a bunch of biking ones from over twenty years ago. Twenty fucking years. Jesus.

Christ I feel very old all of a sudden...

awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

i'm assuming the location of that last shot, is now home to a police substation and or a Wendy's

that helmet is too cool

Cannondale was all based in connecticut back then, i'm sure the custy service was excellent

So we're taking a road trip in a few weeks up the East Coast; concerned that our bikes will get jacked off our trunk rack while we're doing stuff inside the city. Hoping to stash them at hotels where possible but it can't always be done. Anyway as far as security, what is my best option? I was thinking this.

Bike Rack:
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...arriers/thule-gateway-2-bike-9006xt-_-1679939

Plus Passive Lock Strap:
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...ssories/thule-passive-lock-strap-533-_-533999

Then two of these to lock the bike frames to the rack:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-4-x-9-U-LOCK/10370936

And two of these (or something similar) to lash the front wheels to the rest:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-KC890-HD-Chain-Lock/19721330

What do you guys think?

SmokyDave

Yeah, no kidding. I fucking love it. Short chainstays, dropped top tube and reasonably slack head angle make it lovely and 'flickable', yet the bike feels really roomy and stable too. It's only my second Specialized, but it's a really nice introduction to the brand. I wish it was 140mm travel rather than 120mm, but that's no biggie.

My first MTB, a GT Richter. Check out the cool saddle, gold Rock Shox, Onza bar ends and awesome toe clips. The white Sierra Sapphire 1.6GL was, believe it or not, cool as fuck at the time. I think.
Dude, that Richter is a stunner. My GT history is as follows...

'92 Karakoram in Tequila Sunrise. I fucking loved, then sold it when I bought...

'98 Bravado in lovely metallic blue. Put some matching Bomber Z2's on it and loved it dearly. Ended up selling the frame and replacing it with...

'98 Avalanche in metallic gold. Beautiful bike but I snapped the frame. I still have the frame in the cellar because it's cool. Replaced it with...

'98 Avalanche in ball burnished silver. Went for the 18" over the 16", never really got on with it.

I currently have an all-original '96 RTS 3 that I'm restoring, and a lovely 2005 Brian Lopes frameset that's awaiting an alignment check because I'm not convinced the back end is quite kosher. Man, I love GTs.

As an aside, the Rock Shox RS1 fork predates the Cannondale SE1000 by about a year or so. Front suspension certainly wasn't mainstream when the Allsop Softride and SE1000 were first knocking about though. Flexstems usually fulfilled that duty.

Mascot

Dude, that Richter is a stunner. My GT history is as follows...

'92 Karakoram in Tequila Sunrise. I fucking loved, then sold it when I bought...

'98 Bravado in lovely metallic blue. Put some matching Bomber Z2's on it and loved it dearly. Ended up selling the frame and replacing it with...

'98 Avalanche in metallic gold. Beautiful bike but I snapped the frame. I still have the frame in the cellar because it's cool. Replaced it with...

'98 Avalanche in ball burnished silver. Went for the 18" over the 16", never really got on with it.

I currently have an all-original '96 RTS 3 that I'm restoring, and a lovely 2005 Brian Lopes frameset that's awaiting an alignment check because I'm not convinced the back end is quite kosher. Man, I love GTs.

As an aside, the Rock Shox RS1 fork predates the Cannondale SE1000 by about a year or so. Front suspension certainly wasn't mainstream when the Allsop Softride and SE1000 were first knocking about though. Flexstems usually fulfilled that duty.

That's an awesome roll-call right there, Dave. I loved the triple triangle design of GTs the first time I saw one, and still do. Always coveted the original naked aluminium (ball burnished) fat-tube Zaskar but never owned one. I had an Avalanche at some point and very nearly bought an RTS in the mid-90s, but went for the Trek Y-11 instead because I just fell in love with the carbon monocoque frame. Very nearly went GT again before buying my current Trek.

Have you read this potted history (to 2008) of Gary Turner and the whole GT movement?

http://sidewaysandfallover.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/history-of-gt-bicycles.html

ameratsu

So I found myself a cross bike. Here it is today at some nearby mountain bike trails.

Specialized Tricross Elite Disc

Found it used locally. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for in my size for an amazing price. The previous owner got it as a gift from his wife but never rode it. Don't mind the pedals, I have some MTB pedals and shoes on order.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had a GT Mach One when I was 12.best gift I ever received.

These photos are great. Keep them coming.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
So I think I've settled on the Trek Mamba. Reading reviews online, makes it sound like a good starter bike with a good base that is easily enough to upgrade down the road. Got on one today, and it was comfy.

I was wondering on accessories, namely as bike rack for my car (regular car, so something that goes on the trunk). Also anything I should look for in helmets other than comfort or is that pretty much it?

I am also looking at the Mamba. Right now I only have a road bike and a hybrid. What made you settle on it?

Jzero

I thought using a cruiser saddle to commute to work was going to be great but it just numbs my private parts. I just bought a skinny road/mountain hybrid saddle to see if it makes it better. I can't wait to receive it next week :D

I have to say, buying a bike has been one of the best decisions I've made recently. Absolutely love getting out and biking, you can go further and see more then walking/running, you get that little rush of speed every now and then when going downhill, and if you throw a backpack on with a few amenities you can take a camp break. Such a great way to clear the head for a few hours.

Top Bottom