• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Socreges

Banned
Disc brakes are exactly like there counterparts on cars or motorcycles, there is a steel disc in the middle of the wheel that spins with it and when you use the brake level you press other steel pads into to which causes friction and slows you down.

V-brakes are the same thing that you had on your bike when you were 10 years old. It's a rubber pad that rubs against the inner wall of the wheel to cause friction. The rubber contact is much less reliable then steel and is more affected by water.

It's very easy to see what a bike has by looking at the inside of the wheels, either you'll see a disc or you won't. The Roam XR2 has disc brakes the Rapid 2 doesn't.

3bZRfpx.jpg

I don't think the Rapid 2 would be suitable if you plan on going on trails.
I'm appropriately embarrassed now. I've been working on both my GF's bike (v-brakes) and my own (disc) for the last few months, yet somehow couldn't easily spot the difference in the pic. Maybe I'm lazy in the presence of experts.

Thanks for the illustration. Won't be confused again.

Yeah, looks good for the price. Fairly similar to that elite disc one from the last page.
Yeah, that was my first impression. It'll probably come down to the nuts and bolts to decide.

ameratsu

I might be a little late to the party here, but Specialized makes good bikes but are overpriced when purchased new. My Sram Apex and disc equipped Tricross retailed for $1950 here in Canada. Even though it almost sold for 2k new, it has BB5 disc brakes which are not very good. I bought mine used so it was far less than that, but value wise, I think could find a better bike from Giant if you're looking to buy new.

Socreges

Banned
I might be a little late to the party here, but Specialized makes good bikes but are overpriced when purchased new. My Sram Apex and disc equipped Tricross retailed for $1950 here in Canada. Even though it almost sold for 2k new, it has BB5 disc brakes which are not very good. I bought mine used so it was far less than that, but value wise, I think could find a better bike from Giant if you're looking to buy new.
Hmm, is that maybe just on the high-end of things? I thought the Specialized Crosstrails for 2013 are relatively good value?

I'm going to look into Giant anyhow when I get into the shop. Might have to adjust my budget. Just a bit disappointed atm that the Rapid 2 isn't really an option (v-brakes) and the Roam XR2 is probably too heavy and designed for trails instead of the road (but this is maybe a good thing if it's still quite efficient).

Hmm, is that maybe just on the high-end of things? I thought the Specialized Crosstrails for 2013 are relatively good value?

I'm going to look into Giant anyhow when I get into the shop. Might have to adjust my budget. Just a bit disappointed atm that the Rapid 2 isn't really an option (v-brakes) and the Roam XR2 is probably too heavy and designed for trails instead of the road (but this is maybe a good thing if it's still quite efficient).

What is it about the Rapid that you like so much?

Socreges

Banned
What is it about the Rapid that you like so much?
Nothing in particular. I'm just trying to narrow down a wide selection of bikes to a few that are the right fit. The Rapid 2 seemed to be right in my wheelhouse in every respect, plus it's a Giant and they've apparently got a great rep.

Mascot

I loled.

Yes, we, cyclers, may not be the most 'civic-minded' in those cases, but I see it as a learning process, if I don't shout each time 'cycling track here!' then I can't really complain, right?

So, I shout again and again :)

I've literally only just this minute realised that when I shouted "cycle path!" it probably sounded like "psychopath!". The coppers were probably just agreeing with me.

Edit: @ Socreges - if Canada's anything like the UK then bike shops will very soon start offloading 2013 stock for anything from 1/3 to 1/2 off list price, so if you have time to wait a month or so it might be well worthwhile.

Lucid07

Will be picking up a new bike at the end of this month if everything goes to plan and sizes are right etc.
Thinking of getting this cyclocross
Focus Mares AX 2.0 with Disc Brakes.

Anyone had any experience with cyclocross bike before?

I know you guys probably get this a lot in this thread, so my apologies upfront, but I'm a newbie looking into getting the right bike for me.

I'm essentially looking for a commuter bike that will only need to take me about 2 miles a day to public transit here in the California, Bay Area (Bart). I'm starting a new job in San Francisco and I've never needed a bike before because I've always had a car (still do), but parking at Bart is a pain, walking every day will surely make me late, and there's no way in hell I'm driving into SF everyday.

I've done a little research and it seems the urban hybrid bikes are probably the ones I'm looking for, but I'm really hoping not to spend much. Not sure how to go about looking for a used one either.

Anyways, any advice would help and I really appreciate it in advance.

Socreges

Banned
Edit: @ Socreges - if Canada's anything like the UK then bike shops will very soon start offloading 2013 stock for anything from 1/3 to 1/2 off list price, so if you have time to wait a month or so it might be well worthwhile.
I don't think that's how things work here, but I'll look into it tomorrow. The UK probably moves more stock per capita, so it would probably make more sense for them to do clearance prices in order to sweep in new bikes.

I know you guys probably get this a lot in this thread, so my apologies upfront, but I'm a newbie looking into getting the right bike for me.
As far as I'm concerned, a big reason for this thread (and how it gained momentum in the first place) is for people to ask for and provide information and recommendations. I'd really like to be in a place where I can help people out and share my own biking experiences, but I'm not really at that stage yet. Thankfully people are helpful enough here that I'm on my way.

Socreges

Banned
I knew this would happen. I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I now know enough about bikes that I'm certain of nothing.

Looking at the Cyclo-cross now, instead of a hybrid. Apparently I'd be able to do mountain biking with it (occasionally) while also commuting efficiently? Does that mean I'd need to change the tires or wheels, though?

What are the drawbacks compared to getting a hybrid? More awkward to ride through traffic/stop lights? More expensive generally? Does it not handle wet conditions well?

I was so certain I would get a hybrid, but I made the mistake of reading other bike forums. Every single thread about hybrid bikes has someone recommending a road bike or a cyclo-cross (essentially boiling down to the ol' 'Jack of all trades, master of none' adage).

You don't use road bikes off road, period... unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself anyway.

CX bikes are an option, but they don't have anywhere near the off roading ability of a hybrid. It really comes down to what you're looking for as if you're going to spend 90% of your time on a road or path then a CX will do fine... but I wouldn't like to try one on anything other than a green rated natural trail (maybe a trail centre blue).

Of course, if you're made of money you buy all the bikes. :D

Mascot

Personally I'd be inclined to buy a hardtail mountain bike for the type of riding you describe. It would be absolutely fine for mid-distance commuting (especially with road tyres) and totally unrestricted when you ventured off road (with a quick swap of tyres or, ideally for convenience, a second set of wheels with off-road tyres on).

I know a few people who own hybrids and any minor advantages they might have on the road are negated by their inability to properly and confidently handle all off road conditions.

I sometimes wonder if the hybrid bike was nothing more than a marketing exercise. I've used mountain bikes on roads for mid-distance trips for years without any misgivings and have always appreciated their ability to handle the rough stuff at the drop of a hat.

Besides, and extra effort you have to put in when riding a mountain bike on the road (compared to a road bike or hybrid) is only making you fitter and stronger..!

Just my opinions of course, but they are based on years of experience.

The issue of using a mountain bike on the road really only comes down to speed. If you can live with doing 15mph instead of 25mph then you'll probably be ok.

Mascot

The issue of using a mountain bike on the road really only comes down to speed. If you can live with doing 15mph instead of 25mph then you'll probably be ok.

So what you're saying is, mountain bikes are safer, too!

;)

(I regularly hit 27mph over a VERY rough and uneven downhill slope in my local quarry. Hanging on for dear life, I might add...)

Even the pros have adopted doing 45 mins to an hour on a trainer before heading out on a 200km race and then another 45 minute cool down after the race. I usually treat the first 45 mins as a warm up especially as I'm biking to a meet up spot. I find i'm more likely cramp up much faster if i'm pushing a bit harder than normal during that time

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. I've also begun to incorporate a longer warm up with (as the poster below me points out) a smaller ring. My cadence is usually pretty high during this period.

I warm up an hour for a crit. Long road races typically need less warm up, unless they start hot. I use a trainer at races because I don't want any effort in a warm up (easy spin) saving every bit of glycogen for the race. I'm not sure why any sane person would warm up on a trainer for just a ride, just keep it in the small ring for twenty minutes. Trainers/Rollers are boring.

May I ask which trainer you use? I would like to get one for the fall/winter to use when it's too nasty outside.

I ordered a bike from Walmart online. I figured I'd rather put it together than someone who has to build 10 of them a day.

I'm a handy guy..... how hard is this thing going to be to put together? Its a Schwinn.

Am I going to have to run all the brake lines and everything?

Socreges

Banned
The hybrid bike may seem like a poor solution for 95% of consumers, but I think I do fall in that small group where it makes the most sense. I'll be commuting to work (maybe 6k) regularly and biking with other people around town (and on light trails) casually (semi-regularly). I've also read that the hybrid can be more comfortable for hills (which I'll see a lot of) and going through traffic and stoplights.

Mountain biking is something I do quite rarely (but would like to do more often). It isn't a priority for now, but I can see my second bike being a mountain bike. Though maybe then I should get a road bike for now so that they eventually complement one another? Bah, dunno.

I knew this would happen. I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I now know enough about bikes that I'm certain of nothing.

Looking at the Cyclo-cross now, instead of a hybrid. Apparently I'd be able to do mountain biking with it (occasionally) while also commuting efficiently? Does that mean I'd need to change the tires or wheels, though?

What are the drawbacks compared to getting a hybrid? More awkward to ride through traffic/stop lights? More expensive generally? Does it not handle wet conditions well?

I was so certain I would get a hybrid, but I made the mistake of reading other bike forums. Every single thread about hybrid bikes has someone recommending a road bike or a cyclo-cross (essentially boiling down to the ol' 'Jack of all trades, master of none' adage).

I'll just echo what Psychotext said.

Cyclo-Cross bikes are like slightly beefed up road bikes. They can handle trails, but they're still designed to be as light as possible, and as such it won't inspire much confidence off-road. I won't recommend one unless you're entering in a cyclo-cross race or find riding a road bike much more comfortable then a hybrid/mtn bike.

If you have any desire to ride on trails or off-road, a roadbike is out of the question. They're built to be light and fast on the road, they're not strong enough to handle the torque of off'road.

Hybrid bikes are designed to work well on all but the most extreme off'road conditions. They typically have short-travel front dampers, disc brakes, can accept smooth or knobby tires, and have frames strong enough to resist twisting and breaking. It's the best option for someone who want's a light trail bike, or is going to ride mostly on the road with occasional off'road riding.

A mountain is obviously designed to be used off'road. Long travel dampers, heavy frames, close ratio gears. Can it be used on-road? Off course, many of us do ride on-road. But you'll be much slower and have to work harder then you would in a road bike.

From everything I've heard from you I suggest a hybrid. You just need to try some different models, see what's comfortable for you, and try to get a good deal.

Socreges

Banned
Thank you. That is the last post I'm reading on the internet today. It's ridiculous how easily I'm swayed since everyone has their own perspective and is quite persuasive. Your post is certainly the most comprehensive, though (and is exactly what I wanted to hear in order to be decisive).

Thanks to everyone for all their help. I'll be back with pics later today, I suspect.

ameratsu

I'll just echo what Psychotext said.

Cyclo-Cross bikes are like slightly beefed up road bikes. They can handle trails, but they're still designed to be as light as possible, and as such it won't inspire much confidence off-road. I won't recommend one unless you're entering in a cyclo-cross race or find riding a road bike much more comfortable then a hybrid/mtn bike.

I don't know if this is an accurate assessment of CX bikes. Yes, some CX bikes are very light with aggressive geometry and no eyelets. These are best used for cx racing. Others are more aimed at commuters/recreational riders can accommodate larger tires, have relaxed geometry (more upright riding position) , may have a longer chainstay length, may have disc brakes, and have fender eyelets for racks and fenders. Some even use CX bikes for touring. You could throw on a set of narrow rims/tires if you wanted to do more on-road riding, and keep the stock wheels for off-road duty.

Bikes like the surly crosscheck or specialized tricross are by no means lightweight and would be suitable for on-road, trails, gravel roads, back roads etc. Obviously hitting technical singletrack would be difficult and not advisable. I have ridden MTB trails on my cross bike, though nothing like you'd be able to do on an actual mountain bike. They're great for a variety of terrain that I would expect people would actually want to ride. They're versatile and tons of fun as a do-it-all bike. A hybrid would be a good choice too for this sort of riding if you prefer the fit versus a road-style bike.

Jobiensis

40mph is real impressive for a mountain bike, especially on a trail. I clocked over 60mph a couple weeks ago, but ran out of road to go any faster. I need to get a partner for a climb/descend on Halekala.

WW spelled it out pretty well. I wouldn't recommend a Cyclo-cross to anyone unless they wanted to race cyclo-cross, the gearing is really horrible for the road, and they aren't really any different than a road bike in requiring a whole lot of skill to handle in rough terrain. I've seen people buy them because they are afraid to take a road bike on dirt roads. :/

May I ask which trainer you use? I would like to get one for the fall/winter to use when it's too nasty outside.

I keep a CycleOps Mag Plus in my car for races, and Travel Trac rollers in my living room.

Bikes like the surly crosscheck or specialized tricross are by no means lightweight and would be suitable for on-road, trails, gravel roads, back roads etc

A road bike can handle these scenarios quite well. There are many road races that go through terrain that you listed. CX bikes are better in snow and mud.

This sort of stuff is easily done on a road bike.
OBgI1Cs.jpg

ameratsu

A road bike can handle these scenarios quite well. There are many road races that go through terrain that you listed. CX bikes are better in snow and mud.

This sort of stuff is easily done on a road bike.

I kinda agree. There is even a short gravel road section to my club's normal road race route. Not a big deal to tackle that on a road bike. Though I did a 3 hour gravel road ride on the weekend that included some pretty steep ascents and fast descents along with sandy gravel sections. Don't think I would want to do that on my road bike with 25mm tires, nor could I really climb on gravel effectively with a typical road bike rear cassette. Also I prefer somewhat relaxed geometry for longer rides.

codhand

just got a bike rack today, and now i feel i have so much room for activities

love my road bike, it may be marketing, but i dont want the full kit and kaboodle that comes with a nice mt or st bike, etc, just some nice 20-40 mile rides on my road bike and im good

Mascot

So... Camelbaks. Been dithering about getting one for years and think it's high time I took the plunge. I'd appreciate any advice regarding pros/cons, sizes, features, pitfalls etc from MTBers who use one - I know pretty much naff-all about them apart that they are flattened rucksacks with a bladder full of fluid in them. And a straw.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: regarding capacity, I drink two pints of water before a ride then find 750ml in a bottle is enough for a typical 3-hour blast.

Mascot

I haven't bought a CamelBak yet simply because of the price. I'll suck it up and reach for my bottle lol

That's been my attitude for years too, but I really need the extra carrying capacity for a couple of inner tubes and the occasional Mars Bar. If I'm gonna wear a back pack it might as well be a Camelbak.

(I'm assuming Camelbaks have extra pockets for stuff?)

Edit: holy shit, found this one for a tenner. Not Camelbak but has some really good reviews.

Woodside

brentech

So... Camelbaks. Been dithering about getting one for years and think it's high time I took the plunge. I'd appreciate any advice regarding pros/cons, sizes, features, pitfalls etc from MTBers who use one - I know pretty much naff-all about them apart that they are flattened rucksacks with a bladder full of fluid in them. And a straw.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: regarding capacity, I drink two pints of water before a ride then find 750ml in a bottle is enough for a typical 3-hour blast.
I have the camelbak xlp, which is no longer made.
I find it to be quite comfortable. It stays pretty cool through a whole ride, even allowing you to feel some cooling on your back, lol.

That one is fairly small in terms of storage. I keep my wallet, sometimes my phone and keys in the upper compartment. A small snack in the elastic non closure bottom compartment (so nothing of value) such as clif bar and sometimes my arm sleeves and head band if it's cool out.

If you get one the newer bags, they all look a bit larger and I'm sure you'd have no issue holding tubes and multi tool. I store that under my saddle though.
I've used the area that the bladder is stowed to also hold a bike pump before, works great if you know you have no worry of puncturing.
I really like thing. End up using it most the time because I feel the need to always have an ID on me and a few bucks in case something were to happen.

Mascot

I have the camelbak xlp, which is no longer made.
I find it to be quite comfortable. It stays pretty cool through a whole ride, even allowing you to feel some cooling on your back, lol.

That one is fairly small in terms of storage. I keep my wallet, sometimes my phone and keys in the upper compartment. A small snack in the elastic non closure bottom compartment (so nothing of value) such as clif bar and sometimes my arm sleeves and head band if it's cool out.

If you get one the newer bags, they all look a bit larger and I'm sure you'd have no issue holding tubes and multi tool. I store that under my saddle though.
I've used the area that the bladder is stowed to also hold a bike pump before, works great if you know you have no worry of puncturing.
I really like thing. End up using it most the time because I feel the need to always have an ID on me and a few bucks in case something were to happen.

Thanks. I like the look of that one. I edited my post above with this one which seems like a bloody good bargain. Might have a dabble at that price. Looks good in Orange.

41tPVdFrFnL._SX385_.jpg

Does the liquid slosh around at all?

brentech

Does the liquid slosh around at all?
I almost never feel it. It something in the middle of the bladder to prevent it from having free reign of movement. You'd just have to make sure whichever one you're getting has that.

"Integrated baffle keeps water from sloshing side to side as you move and twist wearing your pack"

Your link is a pretty crazy price. Wish they had more pictures of the storage and what not

Mascot

I almost never feel it. It something in the middle of the bladder to prevent it from having free reign of movement. You'd just have to make sure whichever one you're getting has that.

"Integrated baffle keeps water from sloshing side to side as you move and twist wearing your pack"

Your link is a pretty crazy price. Wish they had more pictures of the storage and what not

Here's another view, in black.

IMG%5f2858Webshot.jpg

and yellow:

$(KGrHqRHJBwFCQ3Y9tVqBQqeczSgFg~~60_12.JPG

spec:

Capacity: 2 litre hydration bladder in an 8 litre rucksack
Colour: Yellow
Material: Polyester
Size: 40cm x 20cm x 10cm
Weight: 335g when empty
Great for sporting activities such as hiking and cycling
Allows you to re-hydrate on the move
The on/off valve on the hydration bladder is easy to use and prevents spillages
The reflective areas allow you to run/cycle/walk safely at all times of day and night
The bladder is kept in the main storage compartment
There are also two other side storage compartments
All straps are adjustable
The hydration pack is blue

The pockets are down the sides and I'm sure big enough for a semi-flattened inner tube. Jesus, for £13 delivered I think I'll take a punt on the orange one. Ebay has them from China for £8 delivered but I think the extra £5 from a UK seller would be worth the peace of mind.

Socreges

Banned
Been going from store to store over the last 5 hours looking for a bike. Tired of testing.

Any thoughts on the Brodie Energy? Came out of nowhere. Seems to have pretty good parts and could get it discounted to $800. Not sure if anyone here would be familiar with the brand, but maybe someone could confirm that the parts are good for the price?

No. I rinse and freeze the bladder after every trip.

If I have something sugary in it then I'll give it a dip in sterilization water, rinse and freeze. The brushes and whatnot are entirely optional.

Top Bottom