• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

I have a chain stutter on one of my gears. How do a fix this?

It's also more noticeable on hills.

By stutter, do you mean skipping? Or is it just noise?

Noise - Probably r. derailleur adjustment
Popping into different gear - Probably r. derailleur adjustment
Skipping (Chain pops over the cassette cogs when under pressure) - Worn chain

Check your rear derailleur adjustment, but it sounds more like a worn chain. If you replace the chain early, the cassette should last a bunch of chains, and the chainrings should last a bunch of cassettes. Since it is skipping, more than likely the cassette will be toast too.

You can check chain stretch with a ruler (google it), cassette and chainrings are trickier, generally they should not look saw-toothed. Chainrings usually last a long time, so they are probably fine unless you ride a whole lot, or your bike is older.

Your best bet is probably to go to a bike shop. That is unless you want to get the tools and learn how to do it yourself. It's not very difficult, but if you don't ride a lot, might not be worth the expense.

entremet

By stutter, do you mean skipping? Or is it just noise?

Noise - Probably r. derailleur adjustment
Popping into different gear - Probably r. derailleur adjustment
Skipping (Chain pops over the cassette cogs when under pressure) - Worn chain

Check your rear derailleur adjustment, but it sounds more like a worn chain. If you replace the chain early, the cassette should last a bunch of chains, and the chainrings should last a bunch of cassettes. Since it is skipping, more than likely the cassette will be toast too.

You can check chain stretch with a ruler (google it), cassette and chainrings are trickier, generally they should not look saw-toothed. Chainrings usually last a long time, so they are probably fine unless you ride a whole lot, or your bike is older.

Your best bet is probably to go to a bike shop. That is unless you want to get the tools and learn how to do it yourself. It's not very difficult, but if you don't ride a lot, might not be worth the expense.

Skipping yes.

SmokyDave

What a glorious weekend! Unfortunately, other commitments meant I didn't get a lot of riding done, but I did get the two Specializeds together for a piccie:

mbwucow03gsuj5v6n69e.png

Blue is for shits & giggles, red is for 'proper' trail riding.

Do you know anyone with a weak heart? Best way to kill them: have them try to adjust brakes. Specifically, V-brakes. I spent almost an hour yesterday trying to get them working and no matter what I did, they always ended up rubbing the rim.

What a glorious weekend! Unfortunately, other commitments meant I didn't get a lot of riding done, but I did get the two Specializeds together for a piccie:

Blue is for shits & giggles, red is for 'proper' trail riding.

I still think Specialized makes some of the best full suspension bikes out there. :)

muu

Dropped off my bike in Seattle, did 50 miles w/ a friend who I'll be riding STP with next week. No lingering pain (ok, a little bit on the bursa but nothing I can't ride through -- buddy's wife's a doctor and she said it's nothing to worry about), easy ride so I'm not sore either. Feeling pretty good about myself.

Heretic

Dumb question of the day!

Are bike stands universal? My girlfriend fell in love with this bike and the stand is loose and no matter how tight we tighten the stand to the frame, it still twists and it won't stand.

Can I purchase any bike stand or do we have to return the bike? Returning the bike is the last thing she wants to do.

Dumb question of the day!

Are bike stands universal? My girlfriend fell in love with this bike and the stand is loose and no matter how tight we tighten the stand to the frame, it still twists and it won't stand.

Can I purchase any bike stand or do we have to return the bike? Returning the bike is the last thing she wants to do.

Kickstands often need to be cut to create the proper angle to allow the bike the stand. Any bike shop should be able to do this for $10 - $20. Buy some accessories while you are there. :)

So my transplant doctor has informed me that I'm riding a 60 mile race with him in November and that leaves me four months to increase my endurance and strength to ensure that the transplant was not all for naught...

Any tips? The most I've done is about 34 miles, and that was last November in about 42 degree weather. I don't think 60 miles is necessarily difficult, depending on the terrain. But still, for those in here who regularly top that mileage in one sitting, any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Right now, I'm thinking of starting with 30-40 mile rides for the next week or so, and increasing 5-10 miles in subsequent weeks.

Do you know anyone with a weak heart? Best way to kill them: have them try to adjust brakes. Specifically, V-brakes. I spent almost an hour yesterday trying to get them working and no matter what I did, they always ended up rubbing the rim.

I used to hate doing that but believe it or not it does get fairly easy with practice. Likelihood is that you haven't increased the arm tension enough to force them to pull themselves away from the rim.

It could be that your wheel needs truing though.

So my transplant doctor has informed me that I'm riding a 60 mile race with him in November and that leaves me four months to increase my endurance and strength to ensure that the transplant was not all for naught...

Any tips? The most I've done is about 34 miles, and that was last November in about 42 degree weather. I don't think 60 miles is necessarily difficult, depending on the terrain. But still, for those in here who regularly top that mileage in one sitting, any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Right now, I'm thinking of starting with 30-40 mile rides for the next week or so, and increasing 5-10 miles in subsequent weeks.

This is a good plan. :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What's a good resource for someone new to biking? Looking to get one and haven't bought a real bike in years (Just cheap little things). Would like an all-occasions bike for trails (not that rough) and roads. Went to a local bike shop for a look around and was just overwhelmed.

What's a good resource for someone new to biking? Looking to get one and haven't bought a real bike in years (Just cheap little things). Would like an all-occasions bike for trails (not that rough) and roads. Went to a local bike shop for a look around and was just overwhelmed.

I like the Trek DS series for that.

DSCF5091.jpg

It can lock out the front suspension for increased pedaling efficiency while on roads, while still having suspension for light trail use.

Specialized makes a similar series called the Crosstrail

IMG_1112_copy.jpg

They are both awesome bikes, and would be a good starting point when looking for your new bike. Brands are not as important as the quality of the shop that sells it to you. take your time, visit multiple shops, and buy a bike from the one your are the most comfortable with. :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thanks for the recommendations. I saw that Trek at the store I was at today and it did look like a nice one. Seemed like a nice place (Bicycle Village which is s small chain in Colorado), with free tune ups. Do some more research and see if I can't try one out sometime soon.

Jasup

Hello Bike-GAF, mind if I join the discussion?

So I had a few years gap without a bike after my last one was stolen. And although previously I had commuted almost purely by bike for my entire life I adjusted and ended up driving or using public transport more.

Last year I started to look for a new bike, partly because some of my friends got frustrated with my lack of mobility. I was usually the only guy walking or taking a bus or taxi if we were having a night out, it really wasn't convenient. I wanted a bike I could do my daily commute with (7km one way) and good enough for a bit longer runs (under 40km) mostly on cycle ways.

Even though I was initially looking at cyclocross bikes I ended up buying a hybrid - Felt GX75 (2012 model)
300620135507qs8a.jpg

Good all-around bike with rubbish pedals, which I changed few months in.
Looking back at the time without a bike all I can think of is: "what was I thinking?" During the last year my car has seen less and less use (I drive few times a month), I go out more (no need to worry about drinking or public transport timetables) and I make more trips around town. Maybe I just didn't realise before how convenient it really is.

moojito

Ass bruises. Do they stop? It's really the only thing that keeps my bike in the shed. I don't mind the muscular pain and out of breath that you would expect starting cycling, but ass bruises, man. Ouch.

Jasup

Ass bruises. Do they stop? It's really the only thing that keeps my bike in the shed. I don't mind the muscular pain and out of breath that you would expect starting cycling, but ass bruises, man. Ouch.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: You can expect having a sore bottom if you have't cycled in a long while, especially if you have a bike that doesn't absorb shocks well (aluminium frame, hard saddle, high air pressure in tires..). Take shorter trips with less speed regularly to get your ass accustomed to the pounding and it shouldn't be a problem after few weeks.

If the pain continues you might want to check if the problem's in the saddle and change it for a more suitable one. Usually toughening up your butt is enough though.

andylsun

I was looking at the Trek 8.4 DS a few weeks ago and since then have visited a couple of other bike shops.

The Giant Roam 2 seems to offer pretty much all the Trek does, but for around $250 less ($600 instead of $850). Any reason to not go with Giant? Mainly road but more trail riding as I get fitter.

What kind of shorts are you wearing? What kind of saddle do you use?

I was looking at the Trek 8.4 DS a few weeks ago and since then have visited a couple of other bike shops.

The Giant Roam 2 seems to offer pretty much all the Trek does, but for around $250 less ($600 instead of $850). Any reason to not go with Giant? Mainly road but more trail riding as I get fitter.

Giant makes excellent bikes as well. No reason to avoid them. :)

The Trek 8.4 has components that are all one level above the Roam 2's. the Trek 8.3 would be a more comparable model as they have the same fork, components, and similar brakes. $600 - $850 gets you a hell of a good hybrid/adventure cycle!

equap

Banned
how do you guys clean your mountain bike after a ride? I see sand and dirt on the chains, disk brakes, frame, seat....EVERYWHERE!!1

hose it down with water or what? pro tips, plz.

how do you guys clean your mountain bike after a ride? I see sand and dirt on the chains, disk brakes, frame, seat....EVERYWHERE!!1

Yeah, use a hose but make sure you don't blast any pivots / bearings with it. Other than that the only thing you absolutely have to do is keep the chain clean (brush / chain cleaning kit) then re-oil it.

cbox

I use my hose at half power on my road bike after riding, just don't power wash it. Some soapy water should be good too, to get rid of stubborn grime. Then after I clean the chain and relube and everything is good as new.

Kraftwerk

I don't think I ever posted these, my new cyclocross bike;

Custom built 2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross SRAM Red

Also apologies to anyone who had asked me a question regarding bikes in this thread, lot of things came up and I had to go away and tend to them.

WEGGLES

Just rode my first 100 miles..I feel like a broken man. Took me minutes short of 8 hours. I don't know how you guys do it! Going to sleep like a freakin log tonight..I'm also STARVING.

Heretic

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer. I don't know the terminology so I hope you can understand what I'm talking about!

Are rear suspensions "universal" or do I have to look for something specific if I want to switch it out?

Is there some sort of math that I have to work out to see what the recommend pressure I should be using for the rear suspension? (Current suspension says 260, or 240, on it and I weigh 200; I don't feel that's enough but I really don't know)

Thanks in advance :)

ameratsu

Building a bike is too expensive :/

By time I get the frame I want, a suitable group (Sram Apex or Tiagra) and everything else i'm at $1500 easily... which is more than I paid for my Giant TCR.

I've wanted to build a commuter/cyclocross bike for a while now but the cost has held me back.

SmokyDave

I don't think I ever posted these, my new cyclocross bike;

Custom built 2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross SRAM Red.
That's a stunner. Good work.

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer. I don't know the terminology so I hope you can understand what I'm talking about!

Are rear suspensions "universal" or do I have to look for something specific if I want to switch it out?

Is there some sort of math that I have to work out to see what the recommend pressure I should be using for the rear suspension? (Current suspension says 260, or 240, on it and I weigh 200; I don't feel that's enough but I really don't know)

Thanks in advance :)
For a rear shock, you'll need to know the 'eye to eye length' and the 'stroke'. The eye to eye length is the distance between the center of the holes at the top and bottom of the shock (the holes you use to mount the shock to the frame), and the stroke is the distance that the shock travels during compression. You'll need to know these figures from your current shock because they're generally different for each shock / frame.

What bike is it? What shock? I might be able to dig up the numbers for you.

As for pressure, that varies from shock to shock and bike to bike too. It depends on your weight and riding style predominantly.

Heretic

That's a stunner. Good work.

For a rear shock, you'll need to know the 'eye to eye length' and the 'stroke'. The eye to eye length is the distance between the center of the holes at the top and bottom of the shock (the holes you use to mount the shock to the frame), and the stroke is the distance that the shock travels during compression. You'll need to know these figures from your current shock because they're generally different for each shock / frame.

What bike is it? What shock? I might be able to dig up the numbers for you.

As for pressure, that varies from shock to shock and bike to bike too. It depends on your weight and riding style predominantly.
Grabbed this one. Never been mountain bike riding and this looked like a nice starter one at a decent price.

Clicky

muu

Hitting the train up to seattle for STP in an hour. Hope 4 packs of instant ice is going to be enough to keep the injury at bay on the end of the first day.

dubc35

Hitting the train up to seattle for STP in an hour. Hope 4 packs of instant ice is going to be enough to keep the injury at bay on the end of the first day.
Good luck. I know a couple people doing it and saw a decent amount of OR plates on cars with bikes on the way home from work today.

spadge

I've been toying with the idea of building myself a fixed gear bike from scratch. I've got no experience of building bikes, and my knowledge of maintenance is minimal, but I figured it would be a good way to learn.

Does anyone know of any decent guides for what I want to do, and what tools am I going to need?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So the local bike shop I found is having a sale, and they have a Trek 6000 disc for under $900. Any thoughts on if that's a good deal or not? Totally new to this, but it seems like a good bike with nice features, but not going all out and going into the multi-thousands of dollars.

waypoetic

Banned
So the local bike shop I found is having a sale, and they have a Trek 6000 disc for under $900. Any thoughts on if that's a good deal or not? Totally new to this, but it seems like a good bike with nice features, but not going all out and going into the multi-thousands of dollars.

Trek 6000? You mean the 6700? Are you going mountainbiking/trailriding? If not i wouldn't get a MTB for that kind of money if you're just going to use it for communiting - i'd get a 4500 D in that case.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Trek 6000? You mean the 6700? Are you going mountainbiking/trailriding? If not i wouldn't get a MTB for that kind of money if you're just going to use it for communiting - i'd get a 4500 D in that case.

The tag said 6000. I went back today to hop on a few and get a feel for them. The 6000's were nice, but I think they were all used. Saw dings and scratches on them. Liked the features on it though. And loved the color.

Here it is. Guessing it's a 2012 or older model and that's why it's not on trek's website. This is certainly a negative. If I'm going into this, I'd like something new.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/trek/6000/prd_417965_1527crx.aspx

Also saw the Trek 4900. Didn't see any 4500's. Also saw the Wahoo and Marlin, but not sure about the 29" wheels. All seemed like good bikes. Might go back tomorrow and see about taking one for a longer ride (all I had time for today were quick laps of the store)

Anyone use or have recommendations on bike trainers? I've been looking at the Kinetic and CycleOps products, but there seems to be a lot out there beyond those two. Any help would be appreciated!

The tag said 6000. I went back today to hop on a few and get a feel for them. The 6000's were nice, but I think they were all used. Saw dings and scratches on them. Liked the features on it though. And loved the color.

Here it is. Guessing it's a 2012 or older model and that's why it's not on trek's website. This is certainly a negative. If I'm going into this, I'd like something new.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/trek/6000/prd_417965_1527crx.aspx

Also saw the Trek 4900. Didn't see any 4500's. Also saw the Wahoo and Marlin, but not sure about the 29" wheels. All seemed like good bikes. Might go back tomorrow and see about taking one for a longer ride (all I had time for today were quick laps of the store)
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? If its single track, I can't recommend 29ers enough. 750b would be the only other wheel size one might consider but for your first bike you'll have a better selection and prices with 29ers.

Top Bottom