• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

Only a little over two weeks until my first long bike trip. I bought a Gopro Hero 3+ Black to bring with me. Any tips for making something worthwhile?

I have the handlebar mount, no extra battery pack, and a 32GB memory card. So I guess I'll have maybe 10-15 minutes of footage each day. I plan to put it on the handlebar facing forwards, and just turn it on for a few minutes at a time when the scenery gets interesting. Maybe do some timelapse photos too. Should I get a chest/helmet mount instead? Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit: I have a Salomon S-Lab Advanced Skin hydration backpack. I've only used it on two-hour trips or less, in cold weather, which works fine. Would it be comfortable in five-hour trips in warm weather too, or would it be better to bring a bottle or two? Trying to make it as comfortable as possible :)

muu

Only a little over two weeks until my first long bike trip. I bought a Gopro Hero 3+ Black to bring with me. Any tips for making something worthwhile?

I have the handlebar mount, no extra battery pack, and a 32GB memory card. So I guess I'll have maybe 10-15 minutes of footage each day. I plan to put it on the handlebar facing forwards, and just turn it on for a few minutes at a time when the scenery gets interesting. Maybe do some timelapse photos too. Should I get a chest/helmet mount instead? Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit: I have a Salomon S-Lab Advanced Skin hydration backpack. I've only used it on two-hour trips or less, in cold weather, which works fine. Would it be comfortable in five-hour trips in warm weather too, or would it be better to bring a bottle or two? Trying to make it as comfortable as possible :)

Where are you going?

Helmet mount is great if you're trying to get license plates. It'll depend on the person, but most likely you'll find out you swivel your head around a lot more than you think you do -- you won't be able to use the video for much more than that. Not sure how the gopros charge, but if they're like my contours and have a USB plug, you could just get one of those 8000-13000mAH USB battery packs and charge stuff overnight. Not having to worry about your phone, your lights, etc running out of juice is also a good thing.

thomaser

Where are you going?

Helmet mount is great if you're trying to get license plates. It'll depend on the person, but most likely you'll find out you swivel your head around a lot more than you think you do -- you won't be able to use the video for much more than that. Not sure how the gopros charge, but if they're like my contours and have a USB plug, you could just get one of those 8000-13000mAH USB battery packs and charge stuff overnight. Not having to worry about your phone, your lights, etc running out of juice is also a good thing.

Sicily, Italy. Six days of biking. I mainly want to create memories of the trip. But I'm going together with a bunch of people from my gym, so I'll try to also make a video that might tempt people to join similar trips later (we're aiming for one trip a year). I'll definitely bring one of those portable battery packs, thanks - they'll work on the Gopro.

Contador appears to be back in top form, dominating the last two stages at Tirreno-Adriatico. Hopefully it's a good sign for the TDF...i don't think i can stomach Froome or Sky winning again.

kottila

Contador appears to be back in top form, dominating the last two stages at Tirreno-Adriatico. Hopefully it's a good sign for the TDF...i don't think i can stomach Froome or Sky winning again.

*tag AND avatar quote*. The tour does look more open this year, Sky seems a bit behind last years schedule. But eho cares about the tour during the classics season?!

*tag AND avatar quote*. The tour does look more open this year, Sky seems a bit behind last years schedule. But eho cares about the tour during the classics season?!

yeah, i know, but Froome's mt. ventoux performance (and overall) coupled with Contador's lackadaisical finish and inability to climb means im still harboring some lingering resentment from last year's tour... :( needless to say, i'm excited for next week's Volta a Catalunya.

and yeah, the tour does seem more open this year.. glad to see nibali competing, that should shake things up! and wonder if quintana can match his podium finish..

There aren't nearly enough photos of GAF bikes leaning against stuff in this thread.

picture013kbfgj.jpg

It looked good when I viewed it on the phone but the quality is awful on pc :(

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but any recommendations for a road bike for someone new looking to start biking?

Budget is $300-400, but a buddy of mine that's into cycling says I'll get crap for that and go up to $700 or more,

Mascot

picture013kbfgj.jpg

It looked good when I viewed it on the phone but the quality is awful on pc :(

Thumbs up - all photos is good photos!

Here's one from this afternoon's ride. Most of my normal trails have dried out sufficiently after last month's storms and can be ridden now, but this is the quarry I normally ride through. The water is three metres deep in places..!

IMG_20140317_145935.jpg

Bonus pic from the Welsh Coastal Path, under the Second Severn Crossing. This is just half a mile or so from my house.

IMG_20140317_154058.jpg

kottila

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but any recommendations for a road bike for someone new looking to start biking?

Budget is $300-400, but a buddy of mine that's into cycling says I'll get crap for that and go up to $700 or more,

I'll just repeat my previous answer: see if you can find a used bike, you'll get much more bike for your budget. Aim for a 105 groupset or the equivalent for other brands

Thumbs up - all photos is good photos!

Here's one from this afternoon's ride. Most of my normal trails have dried out sufficiently after last month's storms and can be ridden now, but this is the quarry I normally ride through. The water is three metres deep in places..!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5hprxNAv0AU/UyccNImeDiI/AAAAAAAACLs/Itgr0bjeIFA/w434-h579-no/IMG_20140317_145935.jpg[IMG]

Bonus pic from the Welsh Coastal Path, under the Second Severn Crossing. This is just half a mile or so from my house.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3b-stKU-KY4/UyccVTMgXgI/AAAAAAAACME/YWqiLs4T8N8/w434-h579-no/IMG_20140317_154058.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Deadly cold water?

here's my baby.. i too am in the midst of hill intervals. usually topping out at about 335m, 3x3. i think kottila and i are sharing training methods?? ha. today was beautiful -- 68f, variable winds, and not a cloud in sight.

Specialized.jpg

kottila

here's my baby.. i too am in the midst of hill intervals. usually topping out at about 335m, 3x3. i think kottila and i are sharing training methods?? ha. today was beautiful -- 68f, variable winds, and not a cloud in sight.

Don't have a trainer and it's too cold (3-7celsius) and wet to do anything other than short intense rides at the moment (and the occational sufferfest video on a spinning bike I sometimes have access to)

How is the view from that trainer? What model is the bike? Looks expensive

kottila

Saw this in the "simple tips that blow your mind"-thread. Has anyone here tried it?

CYCLISTS: Avoid getting a sore behind by simply placing a naan bread over your saddle. This will comfort your ride and when you return home, hey presto! A warm snack.

Hi Bike Age!

I was interested in getting a bike and whatever else I'd need or need to know because I recently moved to a place where there's a trail.....and I want to ride again in general because my life is more settled and having one again makes sense.

I live in a pretty flat city and by pretty flat I mean that I don't think I've ever felt a single hill, lol. But I really don't know where to get one, what to look for, how much to spend. Ideally somewhere from 300-500 but if I could be convinced to spend more for whatever reason I'd consider it.

Hi Bike Age!

I was interested in getting a bike and whatever else I'd need or need to know because I recently moved to a place where there's a trail.....and I want to ride again in general because my life is more settled and having one again makes sense.

I live in a pretty flat city and by pretty flat I mean that I don't think I've ever felt a single hill, lol. But I really don't know where to get one, what to look for, how much to spend. Ideally somewhere from 300-500 but if I could be convinced to spend more for whatever reason I'd consider it.

Paved trail?

Don't have a trainer and it's too cold (3-7celsius) and wet to do anything other than short intense rides at the moment (and the occational sufferfest video on a spinning bike I sometimes have access to)

How is the view from that trainer? What model is the bike? Looks expensive

trainer view can get boring, so gotta always spice it up. bike is a specialized roubaix, used student loan money to purchase.

as an aside, rode 55 miles yesterday to celebrate my 3 year anniversary of receiving bi-lateral lung transplant! felt good, man.

You know, when I saw your name a few days ago in here I couldn't figure out why it seemed unusual, thanks for reminding me. Glad to hear it went well for you. (three years ago was a rough patch for me and I wasn't on GAF much at all so I missed it)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

So... any news update on invisible bike helmets ? I wear helmets when biking because I feel safer that way, but I can tell you that I dislike having messy hair when I take the helmet off :( Many of my fellow girl friends are like that too and dislike bike helmets for ruining our hair style. Something like this could be very beneficial to us girls in that regards.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Wowow ! I'm very excited to see that they're doing well and selling their products within Europe. Too bad I'm in Canada so I'll just have to wait till when it gets here. The Hovding air helmet along with the Copenhagen Wheel seem like it'll really start revolutionizing bicycling when it reaches mass adoption. Although I couldn't care less about its connectivity to your smart phone...especially since I use a Windows phone and they don't support that !

Truly an exciting time to be commuting between work and home via the bike. Really looking forward to future upgrades of those items to be thinner and lighter too.

cbox

It's FINALLY starting to warm up here in Toronto, and I can finally get out with my bike. Problem is I haven't tried my new clip ons outside of my trainer yet. Nervous...

You know, when I saw your name a few days ago in here I couldn't figure out why it seemed unusual, thanks for reminding me. Glad to hear it went well for you. (three years ago was a rough patch for me and I wasn't on GAF much at all so I missed it)

Wow, fuck. Good job man.

Wowzers. That is pretty fucking awesome!

Thanks, guys! I still remember struggling to complete half a mile before transplant so it's been thrilling to improve since then.

Mascot

Just bagged a new pair of £110 Scott MTB Expert spuds for a sniff over £30, ie cheaper than the cheapest of cheap own-brand tat that the likes of Sports Direct sells.

scott-mtb-expert-cycling-shoes-224439-black.jpg

Chuffed!

Top Bottom