• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

Chain coming off at the foot of a hill is the most annoying thing! Assuming the tension is still ok to get you into the big ring, all you should need to do is adjust the low limit screw for the front derailleur to, as the name implies, limit the distance the derailleur can move, to make it impossible to pull the chain off the small ring.

Thanks! I have to admit the whole gear system is a little bewildering to a newbie.

Worst part about the chain coming off is getting grease all over my hands and soiling that perfectly white tape on the bars...

thomaser

14310666811_e5ded1de84.jpg
14312747452_90cfc86a24.jpg

Found a path that had a natural bike-stand at the top. Handy! First pic looking north, the other south.

Mascot

Nice indeed! Lovely landscape.

Been having a bit of lower back trouble lately (old injury, long story) so bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST on a whim earlier today (£60, not a bad deal). Looking forward to giving it a blast - they get really good reviews.

On phone or I'd post a piccy.

Edit:

ST2534B.jpg

Watevaman

Had a nice ride this morning, first real popping of my bike's mud cherry, and boy was there a ton of it. Pour rained earlier in the week and these trails run parallel to a local river so all the water created tons of ditches. Gave up and walked through most of them because the first one I tried the mud just sucked me in.

trailday_by_watevaman-d7kltff.jpg

Makes me sad that these developers came in and built houses on most of the trails I used to ride. To get to these, I actually had to hop a rope fence and then a silt fence. Took a video, too, but it's not eventful so I won't upload unless you guys want 30 minutes of slow going.

Omiee

wsup bike gaf:

im planning to get a road race bike this week, im torn between two these two(unless you guys have a different suggestion based on the budget:

http://www.mantel.com/giant-tcr-com...0c2VuLW92ZXJ6aWNodCZicmFuZFtdPTEwNyNzdGFydDU=

http://www.mantel.com/giant-tcr-com...0c2VuLW92ZXJ6aWNodCZicmFuZFtdPTEwNyNzdGFydDY=

difference is 400 euro. one has 105 the other ultegra the one has p-r2 wheels the other p-sl.

which one should i get guys? does my weight matter? or should i just get the cheap one and change it to ultegra parts in 12 or 18 months? im planning to bike 3 times a week, how soon will the parts wear forcing me to change them?

thomaser

14135096879_10dccfd42d.jpg

Sorry for posting so many pics. It's just a phase I'm in.

Found many good, fun paths on this mountain that were easy enough for my skills. Took lots of video today, might post some later.

Mascot

Had a nice ride this morning, first real popping of my bike's mud cherry, and boy was there a ton of it. Pour rained earlier in the week and these trails run parallel to a local river so all the water created tons of ditches. Gave up and walked through most of them because the first one I tried the mud just sucked me in.

Looks like we ride similar terrain. I also got stuck in the mud a lot today - after cleaning my bike I had to turn the hose on myself. This was one of those come-to-a-stop, bike-stays-upright moments. The mud was like wet clay.

IMG_20140601_150645.jpg

Still messing about with the faux-DoF 'droid update on my camera phone. It can occasionally give some decent-ish results.

hJ9yytaH8UO6SEbJ0doxTgpJ_cZlVN5CSPw5h2tNkYE=w958-h539-no

The water is receding rapidly - we need more rain..!

YnFDw3QSokvxMCKTcngn1zSrWNoa50RsaEuqntW1mbs=w812-h609-no

Sorry for posting so many pics.

Never apologise for bike pics!
Fantastic landscape. You're very lucky.

Man I am SO jelly of all you mountain and trail bikers, those pictures are gorgeous!

Anyways I'm getting better on my bike. Only been riding it for less than a month so I still ride like shit, but I take it out at least four times a week.

Danielsan

Went for a nice little ride on Friday. For the most part just the usual route, but somewhere near the end of the course I met another MTB'er who was kind enough to show me an additional route (which MTB'ers aren't really allowed to ride on) which was a ton of fun.

Obligatory bike shots:

pXSslUW.jpg

3DNR80p.jpg

fuenf

I'm fairly new to cycling and bought myself a 29" Cube hardtail a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately its pedal suck immensely and I just ordered myself a set of PD-MX80 Shimano Saint pedals (http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...view-shimano-saint-pd-mx80-flat-pedals-46772/).

Does anyone have an idea on how to add reflectors to them without destroying the overall look? Is that even possible?

And secondly is it easy to install a new set of pedals or should I take the bike to a local bike shop just to be save?

Mascot

I'm fairly new to cycling and bought myself a 29" Cube hardtail a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately its pedal suck immensely and I just ordered myself a set of PD-MX80 Shimano Saint pedals (http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...view-shimano-saint-pd-mx80-flat-pedals-46772/).

Does anyone have an idea on how to add reflectors to them without destroying the overall look? Is that even possible?

And secondly is it easy to install a new set of pedals or should I take the bike to a local bike shop just to be save?
Fitting pedals is a breeze if you've ever used hand tools before. Just be careful to fit them on the correct side because they have opposite threads (so that normal pedalling is always effectively tightening the thread). Bear this in mind when removing the old pedals too. The new pedals will probably come with instructions.

I wouldn't bother trying to fit reflectors. If it bothers you, put some reflective tape on the back of your shoes, or wear reflective clips.

One other thing, NEVER lever towards the chainring. I've seen some horrible injuries where people have slipped and smashed their forearm / fingers into it at full speed.

At the very least make sure the chain is covering the big ring.

Desi

I haven't rode the fixie in a few months since moving. traffic patterns here are not too friendly for bikes. Can't wait till I move back into the city.

Looking into purchasing a new set of bars soon.

thomaser

Going to London for a few days in the middle of July. Are there any mtb-parks nearby? I'll probably not do that anyway since the stay is only three days, but who knows now that I'm in a biking kind of mood.

Mascot

Going to London for a few days in the middle of July. Are there any mtb-parks nearby? I'll probably not do that anyway since the stay is only three days, but who knows now that I'm in a biking kind of mood.
London is one big bike park. Who needs trails, trees and berms when there's suicidal taxi drivers to dodge?

fuenf

Fitting pedals is a breeze if you've ever used hand tools before. Just be careful to fit them on the correct side because they have opposite threads (so that normal pedalling is always effectively tightening the thread). Bear this in mind when removing the old pedals too. The new pedals will probably come with instructions.

I wouldn't bother trying to fit reflectors. If it bothers you, put some reflective tape on the back of your shoes, or wear reflective clips.

One other thing, NEVER lever towards the chainring. I've seen some horrible injuries where people have slipped and smashed their forearm / fingers into it at full speed.

At the very least make sure the chain is covering the big ring.

thanks for the advice. I might go with reflective clips. Unfortunately German law is pretty strict and outdated:

For the bike to be perfectly legal, it needs a total of 11 reflectors (besides the lamps): 2 at each pedal, 2 in the back, 1 in the front and 4 yellow spoke reflectors. It doesnt count whether you are visible through other means or not. So far I've only got spoke reflectors and because I didnt want to use the big yellow ones, the only legal alternative was to fit every (!) spoke with reflective clips (3M scotchlite tape).

I doubt I'll be able to make it a 100% road legal anyways.. I have no Idea on how to fit front and back reflectors on a mountainbike. Most likely any solution would look like shit too.

Mascot

thanks for the advice. I might go with reflective clips. Unfortunately German law is pretty strict and outdated:

For the bike to be perfectly legal, it needs a total of 11 reflectors (besides the lamps): 2 at each pedal, 2 in the back, 1 in the front and 4 yellow spoke reflectors. It doesnt count whether you are visible through other means or not. So far I've only got spoke reflectors and because I didnt want to use the big yellow ones, the only legal alternative was to fit every (!) spoke with reflective clips (3M scotchlite tape).

I doubt I'll be able to make it a 100% road legal anyways.. I have no Idea on how to fit front and back reflectors on a mountainbike. Most likely any solution would look like shit too.
Holy crap! Is that just for riding at night or in the day too?

The first thing I always do when getting a new bike is remove all the reflectors. I think most serious bikers here do the same.

wsup bike gaf:

im planning to get a road race bike this week, im torn between two these two(unless you guys have a different suggestion based on the budget:

http://www.mantel.com/giant-tcr-com...0c2VuLW92ZXJ6aWNodCZicmFuZFtdPTEwNyNzdGFydDU=

http://www.mantel.com/giant-tcr-com...0c2VuLW92ZXJ6aWNodCZicmFuZFtdPTEwNyNzdGFydDY=

difference is 400 euro. one has 105 the other ultegra the one has p-r2 wheels the other p-sl.

which one should i get guys? does my weight matter? or should i just get the cheap one and change it to ultegra parts in 12 or 18 months? im planning to bike 3 times a week, how soon will the parts wear forcing me to change them?
You would probably be okay with either. I don't road bike enough but I have lesser than 105 parts and they're still working fine on a 2009 bike. I've heard great things about both though. It depends on what kind of riding you're doing 3 times a week.

Then again I sometimes have a "buy once, cry once" mentality. I bet if you got 105, by time you'd want to go to Ultergra you'd want to try something completely new anyways.

Jobiensis

wsup bike gaf:

Those are old models, which is fine if you are getting a discount. Usually this isn't that big of a deal, but 2013 Ultegra is 10 speed and 2014 Ultegra is 11 speed. Whether the extra gear is important or not, the cassette is wider, and older wheelsets are not typically compatible. It isn't clear whether either Giant wheel sets are compatible. So if you plan on upgrading later (which implies going to the 11 speed), you may need to put a wheel set in there too.

Chain and brake pads will need replacement semi often. I do it about twice a year, but I ride all year and do a fair amount of riding (7k+ miles/year). Cassette gets replaced less often, if you replace the chain early enough the cassette lasts longer. Most the components will last as long as the bike itself as long as you don't crash (shifters and rear derailleurs are in susceptible locations to getting ruined in a crash).

For your purposes, I'd do the 105. Spend the extra money of clothing, helmet, shoes, pedals, bike computer, bottles, etc. When it comes time that you are thinking of upgrading components, you will probably be ready for another bike.

fuenf

Holy crap! Is that just for riding at night or in the day too?

The first thing I've always done when getting a new bike is remove all the reflectors. I think most serious bikers here do the same.

The law doesnt really distinguish between night and day, the reflectors have to be on the bike all the time and while the bike lamps dont have to be mounted during the day, you are required to carry them with you. Until recently even battery powered lamps werent allowed.

To be fair, the police in my city doesnt really enforce the rules, so as long as you have lights you are good to go. Not having a road legal bike could course trouble with any insurance claims in case of crash, though.

thomaser

London is one big bike park. Who needs trails, trees and berms when there's suicidal taxi drivers to dodge?

Forgot to write that I'd RATHER not fart around in the city itself... First, the traffic is scary. Second, cars drive on the wrong side of the road, which is terribly confusing.

Psychotext said:

Thanks! Epping Forest looks really fun. My hotel is right by Paddington, so I could be at the forest in just over an hour.

Laekon

wsup bike gaf:

The only things you will notice while riding is the Ultegra crank shifts better and the brakes are better. Since your in the Netherlands I don't think either is very important given how flat it is. The wheels really aren't all that different. It really just comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable spending the money. I would look into getting the two and upgrading to some aero wheels like the Mavic cosmic or Giant P-SLR1 Aero.

I'm a average rider and a broke SOB, so I only have two women's bikes (GT Avalance - MTN, Trek Neko- Hybrid) I bought from a garage sale, but that ain't stopping me!

I ride about twice a week since I started this 2nd shift job, one trail day one road day, but I used to ride about 3-4 times a week.

My favorite trail (Greensboro NC) is only 1.3 miles long (Advanced) and my second favorite is about 4.5 miles long (Intermediate), so they're short. I prefer road biking myself.

kottila

Went on an 80 km ride today, in the ever-so-surprisingly-good weather we currently have. Longest I've ever gone by myself. Beautiful nature, good feelings!

14277501806_a8dec3b7f3.jpg

The chain jumped off no less than four times, though. Doesn't seem normal. Three times it was when changing from the big to the small sprocket on the start of an incline. The fourth time it was when doing the opposite. The bike is new. Is something wrong, or am I just that bad at changing gears?

Change down from the big cog (gear up on the small if necessary to maintain momentum) before you enter the climb, not when you're on it. It is also much more likely to jump off if you go all the way down to big/big before you change down.

Guys, got a pain question here. Every time I start to ride my right foot gets incredibly sore on the outside, right in the middle. The best I can describe it is like my foot is a see-saw and the support is causing the pain. I've tried moving my cleats, my seat, my leg position, my foot position, but nothing seems to help. My toes go numb after a bit and I shift positions more and then after about an hour or so of riding it kind of goes away, but not entirely.

I'd much rather that it went away permanently to never bother me again. Any tips?

Angst

Guys, got a pain question here. Every time I start to ride my right foot gets incredibly sore on the outside, right in the middle. The best I can describe it is like my foot is a see-saw and the support is causing the pain. I've tried moving my cleats, my seat, my leg position, my foot position, but nothing seems to help. My toes go numb after a bit and I shift positions more and then after about an hour or so of riding it kind of goes away, but not entirely.

I'd much rather that it went away permanently to never bother me again. Any tips?
Probably a stupid question, but have you tried other shoes? Maybe the ones you have aren't right for your feet?

Do you get the same ache when using normal shoes on the bike?

These are my second pair of shoes. They're so damn expensive that it's hard to justify trying pairs out, frankly. But more to the point, I did not have this problem on flat pedals, only on the clipless ones. Maybe it's just years of bad pedal discipline so I'm pushing down with the wrong part of my leg/foot and it's causing this pain?

thomaser

Change down from the big cog (gear up on the small if necessary to maintain momentum) before you enter the climb, not when you're on it. It is also much more likely to jump off if you go all the way down to big/big before you change down.

Thanks! I've tried to do exactly that, but obviously I forget and do something wrong now and then. I'll go on a long ride again this weekend, and will try to focus on gearing correctly.

BTW, cattle-grids are evil, especially when they're just around a corner so you don't see them, and you suddenly come upon them at great speed. I just barely managed to brake to a stop before hitting one of these on the last road-ride. I'm pretty sure the wheels would've been busted if I hit it. There were four in all, but the three others were much more visible.

Cattleguardc76.jpg

How's the Thudbuster, Mascot?

Man I'm jealous at the places y'all can take your bikes to. I bought a Trek 7.2 FX this past weekend for fitness and fun but I live in the DFW suburbs, and there's practically no decent trails over here and I also live right next to a major highway so I'm restricted to neighborhood streets and wide open parking lots.

That said, I took today off but I've been itching to ride just for the hell of it. Too bad I gotta wake up in about 5 hours and my bike has no lights so I gotta stay in. :(

I'll be riding again on Thursday though and I'll probably bring my DSLR to take some fancy pics of interesting sights around my neighborhood, if there's some haha.

kottila

Thanks! I've tried to do exactly that, but obviously I forget and do something wrong now and then. I'll go on a long ride again this weekend, and will try to focus on gearing correctly.

BTW, cattle-grids are evil, especially when they're just around a corner so you don't see them, and you suddenly come upon them at great speed. I just barely managed to brake to a stop before hitting one of these on the last road-ride. I'm pretty sure the wheels would've been busted if I hit it. There were four in all, but the three others were much more visible.

Cattleguardc76.jpg

You can go full speed across those, even on a roadbike, with no problems. I knowna guy who likes to jump them at 60km/h, but you might need a little more experience before trying that

thomaser

You can go full speed across those, even on a roadbike, with no problems. I knowna guy who likes to jump them at 60km/h, but you might need a little more experience before trying that

I thought the bars looked too far apart for the thin wheels, but I guess you're right. And I was worried what would happen if the front wheel somehow slipped, turned sideways and fell into a gap at speed...

I'm looking for recommendations for a new mountain bike. It'll be used for commuting a couple of miles to work and for park/trail riding with my other half. I want it for general fitness too.

She has an old Specialized Hardrock Sport that has lasted her well (she did London to Brighton on it two years back).

I've been looking at the Hardrock Sport Disc 2014 £500
http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/hardrock-sport-disc/27282/14hardrock

Hardrock Disc 2014 £400
http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/hardrock-disc/27292/14hardrock

Raleigh Misceo 2.0 £400
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=10&pg=10597

Other recommendations are welcome. My budget is capped at £500.

I last owned a mountain bike about 12 years ago. It was cheap, heavy and a pretty awful ride.

Top Bottom