• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Gave the Thudbuster it's first run out in the wild this evening, just a quick 15 miles over as much varied terrain as I could find.

I love it.

The glowing reviews really were not bullshitting. It's amazing how it smooths out rocky paths like in the photos below. It really takes the harsh edge off, and I found myself in the saddle powering over stuff I'd always had to stand up for previously. No pogo-ing, no awkward feel at all except a much plusher ride, even on pavement. Felt totally natural.

FXZ4iGyEpahQIiqQ0EIeLRFW3vgIXbIq92M7Crn0LxI=w457-h609-no

P3TCJuLrk-BWEl7R0n92yYAx0OiDThXLqDZS30oAEmc=w812-h609-no

It's still on offer at Merlin Cycles for £60 here if anyone's after one. I can't really recommend it highly enough at that price. It's another £100 more at Wiggle..!

Chuffed.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Hey is this craigslist ad about bikes too good to be true, I'm honestly on the fence about it.

Like that's TOO cheap for a bike right? There has to be problems the owner isn't telling me. Like if the bike is deceptively tiny because the owner took the picture like that but I'm assuming it's a 24 inch frame just like what the ad said. But I dunno.

and don't be a dick and respond to the ad SF gaffers :p

That's a kids size, right? 26+ for adults. The price seems about right to me. I can't imagine the original price was a huge amount more than that.

Hey is this craigslist ad about bikes too good to be true, I'm honestly on the fence about it.

Like that's TOO cheap for a bike right? There has to be problems the owner isn't telling me. Like if the bike is deceptively tiny because the owner took the picture like that but I'm assuming it's a 24 inch frame just like what the ad said. But I dunno.

and don't be a dick and respond to the ad SF gaffers :p

I've seen much better deals on craigslist. Schwinn is not the best brand anymore, they make mostly department store bikes.

thomaser

Meant to post this when it was first released a couple of weeks ago.

Danny MacAskill - Epecuén - 2014

Incredible.

Thanks, that was amazing!

And now for something even more impressive, my first video. Up a very popular local climb to a dam. The video shows going back down again. Uncut, boring, jittery and slow, but oh so authentic! Spot the three dogs and the cat, and one other mountain biker.

At the end of the day, I went home from another direction than usual, and found a miniature kids' trials course only 200 meters from my place. Had no idea it was there. How cool is that?

Mascot

Thanks, that was amazing!

And now for something even more impressive, my first video

Cool - now get off the path and head through the trees..!

Set off this afternoon in 24 degree Celcius hot sun with not a breath of wind and soon got a puncture. By time I'd changed the tube the skies had turned black and a biblical storm had kicked in. It then proceeded to hammer down for the next two hours. I got absolutely soaked liked a drowned rat. It was glorious. This shot was taking momentary refuge under a bridge. It doesn't even look like it's raining! Bah! It was supposed to be very dramatic. You'll have to take my word for it I suppose.

zTuZnBVEu0bQrNXMfbMJ-QjVGUu1LlR8qNPrZwZDNxM=w812-h609-no

And here's something you don't see every day. A peacock. Sorry - couldn't get the bike in the shots.

iR26jgJs5LKrn02qK42rlzkSR97tAmEyjH2fG23cTV8=w812-h609-no

_l73N4H3jfc8WgjkDhlP-P5ay8Hu3KYZO-Q0iQTN7Fo=w812-h609-no

I do see it every day - it belongs to one of my neighbours

Angry Fork

Hey can someone help me I don't know much about bikes but want one and don't know what to get. I want one to travel for work and general fitness, so on average it'll be used maybe 2 hours a day, maybe less. I live in NYC so lots of stop and go, 5'10''/5'11'', 160 lb. I don't want to spend more than $500.

And can someone help with what's required to make sure it doesn't break down? What are common problems and how to fix them whether it's the chain coming off, getting air in tires, brakes becoming weak, etc.? I haven't ridden a bike since I was like 14 so I really don't know anything about them anymore. Thanks.

Usually between $30 - $70 depending on the shop and what needs to be done

well i got it last year. so i would hope not much. its a cannondale trail 4 sl i believe. i assume the chain has went to crap from riding in streams/puddles last year. i took it out the other day and i noticed right away something wasn't right. took it out again and if i peddled hard it would skip gears or skip. not sure of the term since this is the first mtn bike i ever owned.. i think my best bet is to bring it to the pro's, this isn't a lil gt enforcer. thanks for the help though!

thomaser

well i got it last year. so i would hope not much. its a cannondale trail 4 sl i believe. i assume the chain has went to crap from riding in streams/puddles last year. i took it out the other day and i noticed right away something wasn't right. took it out again and if i peddled hard it would skip gears or skip. not sure of the term since this is the first mtn bike i ever owned.. i think my best bet is to bring it to the pro's, this isn't a lil gt enforcer. thanks for the help though!

Have you tried cleaning the chain, sprockets and crank? Degreasing a dirty chain then applying new lubricant is a sure way to make a bike feel and perform better.

Have you tried cleaning the chain, sprockets and crank? Degreasing a dirty chain then applying new lubricant is a sure way to make a bike feel and perform better.

no. have no clue what to use or how to do it. i used to put together 20 inchers all the time, but mtn bikes i am inept.

thomaser

no. have no clue what to use or how to do it. i used to put together 20 inchers all the time, but mtn bikes i am inept.

Buy a chain cleaner thingy, they look like this and are pretty cheap:
chaincleantool.jpg

Fill it with degreaser (every bike shop/sports store has it), put the chain inside (while the chain is still on the bike) and run the pedals a few times. The chain will be squeaky clean.

3.jpg

Then use chain lube. Hold it over the chain while you run the pedals slowly, and squeeze lightly, making sure that every link is lubricated. Then dry off excess lube with a paper or cloth.

Doesn't take long. You just need to use three things, and it's easy. Even I can do it, and I'm a complete noob.

You could also rub the sprockets and crank with isopropyl alcohol to clean them, or use a stiff brush to brush away dust and dirt. Keep the rest of the bike clean too. Dust will get into and interfere with the moving parts, making them less efficient and last for a shorter time. A clean bike is a happy bike, and much more fun to ride on.

Watevaman

I have a question about my chain/gears now that I remember. I was looking at the sprockets (or whatever they're called on bikes) on the front and noticed my middle one has really taken a beating on the teeth. A bunch of them are sharkfins and it looked like one or two had broken halfway down. Is there a particular reason this happens? The bike probably has less than 200 miles on it total but I'm wondering if I'm shifting too harshly or if they just wear out fast.

chaincleantool.jpg

Fill it with degreaser (every bike shop/sports store has it), put the chain inside (while the chain is still on the bike) and run the pedals a few times. The chain will be squeaky clean.

3.jpg

Then use chain lube. Hold it over the chain while you run the pedals slowly, and squeeze lightly, making sure that every link is lubricated. Then dry off excess lube with a paper or cloth.

Doesn't take long. You just need to use three things, and it's easy. Even I can do it, and I'm a complete noob.

You could also rub the sprockets and crank with isopropyl alcohol to clean them, or use a stiff brush to brush away dust and dirt.
thanks buddy!

Mascot

chaincleantool.jpg

3.jpg

You could also rub the sprockets and crank with isopropyl alcohol to clean them, or use a stiff brush to brush away dust and dirt. Keep the rest of the bike clean too. Dust will get into and interfere with the moving parts, making them less efficient and last for a shorter time. A clean bike is a happy bike, and much more fun to ride on.

Be careful not to over-use the chain degreaser, There's a school of thought that you don't want to strip away the deep-set manufacturer's lube that's applied when the chain is first assembled. I tend to use my chain cleaner (the Barbieri one below) with degreaser only when the chain is properly gunked up. I use it with water or a mild detergent most of the time.

Barbieri%20Chain%20Cleaner.jpg

Always dry the chain properly before lubing it as well, or use a water displacer spray (the 'WD' in WD-40) which replaces the water then quickly evaporates. Never use just WD-40 as a lube though - it isn't one. I use GT85 instead of WD-40 as it contains PTFE and therefore adds some lubrication (and is better than nothing in an emergency, if only to stop the chain rusting overnight), but always lube properly afterwards.

gt85.JPG

I swear by TF2 All Weather as my go-to lube all year round (because even on the driest days I might ride through water or get caught in a shower). It contains Teflon for added lubrication. I've never used better lube.

New_TF22.jpg

Make sure to lube every link, spin the crank for half a minute, then wipe off excess lube from the outside of the chain (just run it through a clean lint-free rag) to help stop the chain picking up dust and dirt.

Never put your bike away dirty or wet. At the very least hose muck off it, especially around moving parts, and use a water displacer on bits that rub together. Be very careful jet washing your bike - you might drive water into ostensibly 'sealed' areas (bearings etc) which would be Very Bad News.

Look after your bike and your bike will yadda yadda yadda.

Mascot

I have a question about my chain/gears now that I remember. I was looking at the sprockets (or whatever they're called on bikes) on the front and noticed my middle one has really taken a beating on the teeth. A bunch of them are sharkfins and it looked like one or two had broken halfway down. Is there a particular reason this happens? The bike probably has less than 200 miles on it total but I'm wondering if I'm shifting too harshly or if they just wear out fast.

Some teeth on the middle chain ring have different profiles to aid shifting ('shift gates', sometimes called 'cut teeth'). It's a deliberate design, but can look like wear or damage on first glance. You'll probably find 3-4 similar ones on the opposite side of the ring. Shimano Hyperglide/Hyperdrive is one such system.

Front Hyperdrive

Rear Hyperglide

Could this be what you are seeing?

...don't know how many fans of pro cycling, but the "warm up" to the Tour de France is currently taking place. The Criterium du Dauphine and stage 2 today was an epic battle between last year's TdF and Crit champion Chris Froome and Alberto Contador, himself a 3 time victor of the TdF, along with wins at the Giro and Vuelta.

Here's the last few kms of the race, essentially a test of will and strength between Froome and Contador...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRXcCOip7Dk

Froome won the TT yesterday by 8 seconds and although he had the same time as Contador today, crossed first so gained 4 seconds with time bonuses so he's sitting on a 12 second lead.

Nibali was dropped and the rest of Froome's sky team was left gasping for air. Gawd, I can't wait for the TdF, especially with Contador back in form.

Froome on French TV: "we're all close to our Tour fitness. I tried to drop Contador, but he was too strong, its great that we are both on form this time, it was psychologically important for me to win"

thomaser

Home from my first century! 101,62 kilometers to be EXACT. The last 20 kilometers were a slog, but otherwise it went fine. Should probably have eaten more. Legs are gone. Anyway, pics:
14381444071_a72fa03558.jpg

The bridge where I usually turn and go home. Lots of fish in the stream.
14381439801_8becd5cdd3.jpg

A beautiful, 20 km long valley that's perfect for cycling. Horses and sheep roaming around everywhere, paying me absolutely no attention.
14198169608_fa3e2be15d.jpg

Look at this ugly bloke with those silly marks on his forehead. Pausing to eat by a church.
14198213950_98aac697fe.jpg

This is where the fun stopped for a while, and I had to go on to a very heavily trafficked road (to the left of the photo). Only lasted 3-4 kilometers, but it was hairy. Next time I'll do a long detour and skip that route.
14198324957_4b7a2c0d16.jpg

The Storfjord ("Large fjord"). Bill Gates spent some days on vacation 500 meters down the road last summer. Another perfect place for cycling, with great roads and little traffic.

thomaser

That scenery is epic, Thomaser!
Just curious - why are the photos square though?

Good question, I hadn't noticed. No idea why they're square... they're meant to be rectangular (taken horizontally). I took them in Instagram. Can't seem to find a way to change it. Maybe it's best to just take them with the regular camera app.

Kelas

Yeah Instagram crops them into a square. Great shots btw and congrats on the century.

kottila

Congrats man!

But /sarcasm...

/snicker, Metric Century.

Did my first sportive a couple of weeks ago and the garmin stopped at 159km (98.9mi) :( I didn't record my warm up or the short distance from the finish line to the wardrobes, so even though I'll never be able to prove it, I'm still going to count it as an imperial century

metric rules

http://policejnidenik.cz/wp-content/gallery/cyklista/DSCN0629.jpg

Holy Christ. Warning if you have you eaten recently.

came down with some weird flu-like bug Tuesday and haven't been able to ride at all. My joints hurt when I walk and the little bit I rode (had to get my bike home somehow Tuesday) was excrutiating. Just going up and down stairs is a chore. My wife thinks it's just another in a string of events where my body is telling me not to do the STP.

Angst

Had a great evening ride today. Started with a short train ride, then 5 km climb and 20 km of almost constant downhill. Had a short break at the lake I hiked to last weekend.

pc7WCoZ.jpg

pj

Banned
Do any of you live in a brownstone type building? Stoop, two front doors, narrow stairs..

If so, how do you get out of your building without looking like a fool? I recently got a bike and every time in and out of the building with it is an adventure in anti-gracefulness.

MqgHXrI.jpg

Thats from the day I got it a few weeks ago, really enjoying it so far.

kottila

Do any of you live in a brownstone type building? Stoop, two front doors, narrow stairs..

If so, how do you get out of your building without looking like a fool? I recently got a bike and every time in and out of the building with it is an adventure in anti-gracefulness.

Thats from the day I got it a few weeks ago, really enjoying it so far.

Walk with it the way the pros do, hands on the handlebar and lift the bike up on its back wheel so it is completely vertical

andylsun

Finally found the local rail trail from Derry to Windham.

Rode a bit further than I intended and ended up at the local homebrew beer and tap room - a tragic mistake I assure you.

Lovely trail, with lakes that have no road access and no houses around them. Beautiful. Trail was packed and the number of people that thanks me for letting them know I was on their left was surprising - it's common courtesy and I guess not many people do it.

The last mile was dirt and gravel which was interesting on my road bike.

UiMZHBel.jpg

gsMQdum.jpg

Only leanage I could find! I know that beer and exercise don't really mix, but after 2 litres of water, a couple of 4oz pours were probably fine.

bnYdybXl.jpg

96SjCDpm.jpg

Mascot

Nice pics, quality leanage. Beer and cycling don't even mix well with an overnight break between them as I found out on Sunday evening after over-indulging at an 18-hour combo birthday/World Cup BBQ on the Saturday. My legs felt like they were full of wet cement for the first ten miles or so.

I'm getting too old for this shit etc.

I was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis last week. Key paragraph:
Warning!! - This injury may seem like a niggling injury that is not that bad. Many athletes continue to train and compete on it as it may not be a debilitating injury and recovers after a short period of rest. However, neglect jumpers knee at your peril! If left to become chronic it can be very difficult to treat and may require surgery.
I have less than a month to the STP and a week later a triathlon. I ride to work every day AND I was running 3 miles every other day. I guess I was training too hard? At any rate, once July is over I'm taking the rest of the summer off to rest. Dunno what I'm going to do for exercise then.

Mascot

I was diagnosed with patellar tendonitis last week. Key paragraph:I have less than a month to the STP and a week later a triathlon. I ride to work every day AND I was running 3 miles every other day. I guess I was training too hard? At any rate, once July is over I'm taking the rest of the summer off to rest. Dunno what I'm going to do for exercise then.

That sucks! Hope you recover soon and the downtime isn't too long. My months off the bike with carpal tunnel syndrome last summer nearly drove me insane.

Kelas

Got my first decent strava kom on a relatively popular 1.2km segment a couple weeks ago, after beating the previous record by a whole second. Figured it was safe enough as the previous record was set a couple years ago. Few hours before I went out this morning I got notified that my record had been beaten, handily! A guy beat my time by 5 seconds! Fair play to him I thought. Decided I wouldn't try too hard to get it back, as the original sprint I set took quite a bit of energy, and it's fairly early on in my usual route to be going all out. But! As I headed into the area today, a stroke of luck put a decent sized truck about ten meters ahead of me and gave me enough of a draft to get me up to speed a bit quicker from the off. Ended up nabbing the record back, beating my previous time by 12 seconds!

Obviously my next step is to join le tour, right guys.

Mascot

Getting very fed up of inhaling clouds of gnats during my evening rides lately. I need to find a lightweight fine mesh mask that won't hinder my breathing but will filter out the bugs. I've got a couple of thin stretchy cotton motorbike snoods which I wear to keep my neck and chin warm during winter rides, but they'd be too hot this time of year. I must be swallowing dozens of insects every ride. Hitting clouds of them always seems to coincide with a big deep breath. Nose breathing doesn't work for me as I only have one working nostril, and anyway, getting insects up your nose is worse than swallowing them.

Any suggestions?

Watevaman

Really hating the fact that it's rained every Thursday/Friday since I've come home for the summer. I wanted to take my bike to the local singletrack place but it's so muddy and I don't want to tear up their work. And of course the only local trails I know about that don't matter aren't as fun as that.

TheContact

So I'm basically in the same boat as the OP. I'm an entry biker looking to casually ride on some of my days off when it's nice outside. Can anyone recommend me a good bike? Preferably one that sells on Amazon, as that's where my wife is buying it from? It's a gift for my birthday and she has amazon credit. I know nothing about bikes, but I do plan on using it sometimes to pull my daughter in a covered stroller which attaches to a bike. It's mostly going to be on paved roads but perhaps some dirt roads too. Thanks if anyone can help me out with this.

This is the one she had in mind already http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD45SG8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thomaser

I'm so glad I never got into a bike club as a kid, taking part in races looks so incredibly scary. http://youtu.be/13BENuYp19w

Some of the ad boards near the end had exposed legs that stuck a little into the road. That looked very dangerous.

I heard a speech by a former pro cyclist some weeks ago, and he said that the atmosphere in a group like that in the video was often really aggressive, with constant swearing, people elbowing each other and so on.

well, all my riding and watching of bike races seems to have paid off as i'm taking my fiance on her first ride on a road bike this morning. prettty excited and i hope she comes to enjoy it!

we'll be going on a relatively easy paved trail that has little to no foot traffic in the mornings and the weather looks to be perfect, so here's to another roadie!

Top Bottom