• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Laekon

Damn, that's awful, it's one of my biggest fears when riding. What did the driver say happened? Almost crashed with a car myself the other day. Was working on my bike the previous day and forgot to close the brakes quick release handle. Didn't need to use them untill a car drove towards my path. Just lucky the driver hit his brakes so hard I could go around him.
I haven't seen the police report yet. I don't remember anything except being close to the end of my ride and then woke up in the hospital. They finally let me stand after 2 days in bed. It's weird how the mind can forget things.

andylsun

So I got hit by a car Thursday while out for a ride. Don't remember a thing about it right now and the cops still have my bike with the Garmin on it. I got a cracked verdabrate, severely dislocated shoulder, and a lot of road rash. Hope to get of the ICU today. Really sucks to lose my bike because I was waiting for a new model coming out this summer.

Crap, hope you heal fully and can get your bike up and running again.

thomaser

That's scary, Laekon. Hope you'll heal up soon.

Nice day today. Played with using the Gopro for taking photos:

13974627869_f755560ef8.jpg

Even bikes like to rest in a nice sofa once in a while.

14158512552_5440f981f3.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I got hit by a car Thursday while out for a ride. Don't remember a thing about it right now and the cops still have my bike with the Garmin on it. I got a cracked verdabrate, severely dislocated shoulder, and a lot of road rash. Hope to get of the ICU today. Really sucks to lose my bike because I was waiting for a new model coming out this summer.

Sorry to hear it man, but this is why I only ride on trails where cars don't roam. I do not trust other drivers at all. I ride a Harley so I know just how bad car drivers can be, even when you are going at the same speed and on a huge loud Harley. Its much, much worse on a bicycle.

Hope you mend up soon. Did the driver stop or keep on going? I had a friend who got hit by a car about ten years ago, the driver didn't stop and they never found out who it was so they got away with it. His leg still isn't healed right today. :(

PriitV

Got a new bike yesterday (a cheap hybrid kind) and went for my first ride today in aaages, felt oh so great. Can't wait for the future :)

Z..

So, I made a thread but it got me nowhere... might as well ask it here:

I need Gaf's help in buying a new bicycle.

Must be under £100. I don't mind buying used, so bear that in mind. Can be mountain or road bike, don't care. I just moved to London and I intend to use it as my main mode of transport, so it's going to be used every day.

To everyone who's going to tell me I can't get a decent bike for such a low price (and I know it's still bound to happen, what with this being Gaf), I've been cycling ~150 miles per week for the last 4 years of my life, and I did so on 2 bikes that respectively cost £60 and £85, so that's utter and complete bullshit. Sure, they weren't the best bikes ever, but they got the job done and NEVER disappointed me.

This time around I thought I'd minimize my losses and ask GAF first, that way I'll get the best thing possible while spending as little as possible.

I'll emphasize I don't mind buying used, so you can go over budget as long as you think I'll be able to find it used for less than £100.

I cannot stretch my budget any further as that's literally as much as I can afford to spend without sacrificing anything.

Haaaaalp, Gaf!

To everyone who's going to tell me I can't get a decent bike for such a low price (and I know it's still bound to happen, what with this being Gaf), I've been cycling ~150 miles per week for the last 4 years of my life, and I did so on 2 bikes that respectively cost £60 and £85, so that's utter and complete bullshit. Sure, they weren't the best bikes ever, but they got the job done and NEVER disappointed me.

Well you certainly can't if you buy new, but you can get lucky with used bikes, sometimes picking up a gem for fuck all.

Went on a 84 mile loop ride this weekend, it turned into 90 by the time I was done getting lost here and there.

Couldn't find any trees to get stuck on but this was an acceptable substitute.

4bFOqEN.png

Taken at the four-hour mark.

ameratsu

Must be under £100.

Find someone selling a stolen bike?

So you've set a firm budget, which is fine, but there's only so many places to buy a bike that cheaply while still being good enough to depend on daily. Useful resources for used bikes vary by region, so I don't know how much gaf can help you procure a bike given your specific criteria. Since you've bought inexpensive bikes before, you probably know as well as anyone here.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, I made a thread but it got me nowhere... might as well ask it here:

Must be under £100. I don't mind buying used, so bear that in mind. Can be mountain or road bike, don't care. I just moved to London and I intend to use it as my main mode of transport, so it's going to be used every day.

This time around I thought I'd minimize my losses and ask GAF first, that way I'll get the best thing possible while spending as little as possible.

I'll emphasize I don't mind buying used, so you can go over budget as long as you think I'll be able to find it used for less than £100.

I cannot stretch my budget any further as that's literally as much as I can afford to spend without sacrificing anything.

Haaaaalp, Gaf!

At that price point, it's either a used bike or a Wal Mart bike. Search your local papers or Craigslist, or call around your local bike shops and pray.

Pinkuss

Anyone got a ~£1000 Cube bike (MTB). I need recommendations; I'm quite loyal to the Cube brand and really need something new asap (I've rode my old Cube LTD into the ground) but no idea what to go for.

Officially joining Bicycle Age. Bought my first bike ever, a Giant Escape 2.

I never learned how to ride a bike (I was a strange child), so I'm learning from step zero as a 25 y/o. I look like a drunk.
laugh.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thread reminds me that bike dealers in the states are really weird. Used bikes are either stolen or wildly overpriced. And you can't buy anything decent (except folding bikes) online. I should be able to buy a Trek or a Specialized on Amazon, but for some reason the dealers have it locked up.

And yes I know they assemble them and give "good" advice, but I have also been to dealers where they're telling a 45 year old lady to get a fixie for Sunday rides because it's "simple."

She's probably dead.

kottila

This thread reminds me that bike dealers in the states are really weird. Used bikes are either stolen or wildly overpriced. And you can't buy anything decent (except folding bikes) online. I should be able to buy a Trek or a Specialized on Amazon, but for some reason the dealers have it locked up.

And yes I know they assemble them and give "good" advice, but I have also been to dealers where they're telling a 45 year old lady to get a fixie for Sunday rides because it's "simple."

She's probably dead.

Hope they also told her she would need to learn to skid as brakes would destroy the clean lines of the fixie.

andylsun

Bike full service complete and getting it back today. First proper ride will be tonight. Going to take the same route as I take on my comfort bike, so I can compare average speed and time. Very excited.

Our local bike shop does group rides during the week. On Thursdays they have a beginner ride, around 16 miles. I've never ridden in a group, so will give it a try and see how it goes.

Edit: took the bike for a ride tonight. The bottom 5 gears wouldn't engage cleanly when on the middle front cog, which was really disappointing - not what I expected from a full service. I did adjust the barrel-adjuster on the rear derailler and now all gears are smooth.

I'll give the bike shop a call tomorrow and see if they will look at it again. Both brake and derailler cables were replaced.

Once the gears were dialed in correctly it was a fantastically enjoyable ride.

Bike full service complete and getting it back today. First proper ride will be tonight. Going to take the same route as I take on my comfort bike, so I can compare average speed and time. Very excited.

Our local bike shop does group rides during the week. On Thursdays they have a beginner ride, around 16 miles. I've never ridden in a group, so will give it a try and see how it goes.

Edit: took the bike for a ride tonight. The bottom 5 gears wouldn't engage cleanly when on the middle front cog, which was really disappointing - not what I expected from a full service. I did adjust the barrel-adjuster on the rear derailler and now all gears are smooth.

I'll give the bike shop a call tomorrow and see if they will look at it again. Both brake and derailler cables were replaced.

Once the gears were dialed in correctly it was a fantastically enjoyable ride.

They should have no problem taking a look at it again as you just paid for service. Mistakes happen, so just be super nice about it. They will remember this. :)

Tire went flat on the way to work and I couldn't find my adaptor to inflate the spare. Ugh.

On top of that, my wife's tire went flat on the way to take our son to school and she had to walk. Rough day.

ameratsu

Been watching since day 1 and kinda regret not hopping in at early bird pricing, but the way this thing has blown up this Kickstarter could go either way. Hopefully they can handle what they're getting themselves into. They'll probably hit their last stretch goal.

What a strange bike. Urban bike made for safety, but available as a fixie?

Just so I'm clear, the "stretch goals" mean all bikes come equipped with gear specified once they clear that mark? So every bike they sell will come with bb5 brakes?! Not that these are expensive or anything, but this is a bit crazy considering the purported selling price.

They are selling an assembled bike with a CF frame, CF handlebars, CF seatpost, bb5 brakes, and a bunch of tech features not on any mass produced bike for way, way less than a similarly equipped bike from a bigger bike company? Spec wise, it sounds way too good to be true.

Chris R

I'd like to see something like that without any of the "smart" features (geared of course). They could get it down to maybe $800 or $900 stripping away the things I'd never use.

ameratsu

I'd like to see something like that without any of the "smart" features (geared of course). They could get it down to maybe $800 or $900 stripping away the things I'd never use.

An internally geared, complete cf bike for $800-$900 Canadian shipped to your door? That sounds just as impossible as what they're offering now.

What a strange bike. Urban bike made for safety, but available as a fixie?

Just so I'm clear, the "stretch goals" mean all bikes come equipped with gear specified once they clear that mark? So every bike they sell will come with bb5 brakes?! Not that these are expensive or anything, but this is a bit crazy considering the purported selling price.

They are selling an assembled bike with a CF frame, CF handlebars, CF seatpost, bb5 brakes, and a bunch of tech features not on any mass produced bike for way, way less than a similarly equipped bike from a bigger bike company? Spec wise, it sounds way too good to be true.

Yeah, I guess they figure some people will want a fixie no matter what regardless of the single-speed being available, and the geared one only slightly more expensive. Maybe it has to do with people overly concerned about weight. Who knows.

Everything about the bike does seem a little too good to be true though. Their FAQ says they're able to do everything for so cheap because one of the guys owns a company that has a lot of experience working with composites.

But yeah, with those stretch goals, I believe everyone's bike will include whatever components they get to as part of the goal.

Mascot

I ride through a castle to get to my local woods and decided to do a little exploring of the castle grounds this evening. Turns out there's a few good wooded circuits around a little lake, nothing too exciting but nice enough for a change of scenery. Then I found this little nugget. It's only about a 3 foot drop-off but you can get some decent speed up on the downhill approach, bunny-hop off the lip and catch some reasonable air before hitting the smooth transitional down-slope of the landing area. I shall certainly be including this little detour as part of my local rides from now on.

Gv90MM-qu-9qpgUZ_TFc0_ScBGsjYCIxxD7RVo0rfGk=w812-h609-no

thomaser

Had a 36 km ride with the new road bike today. Used 20 minutes less than my best time with the mountain bike, and that includes a stop to fix a cleat that was about to fall off the shoe.

14206147135_4d8af6d15a.jpg

Not sure if if wants to go in there...

14183012166_cd476362db.jpg

Norwegian national day, yay! Flags everywhere.

andylsun

Looks like new bike ride day all round.

29 miles on my new one. First 25 miles were fine and last 4 hurt!

Merrimack River, New Hampshire

joiHfGbl.jpg

Danielsan

Just got back from a 65+ km ride, 15 of which were on the MTB track of Schoorl (The Netherlands). God damn, I think I almost died on this ride. I was getting bored of my standard route and the track on Texel, so I figured I'd try the track in Schoorl. Main difference being that said track is almost 40km removed from where I live, whereas the other one is only 15km (boat ride not included).

Getting there was fine. Once I arrived I got myself something to eat before hitting the track. Within 3 minutes I see someone who was just returning to the starting area hit the dirt. Always a good sign. I started the track with confidence. I was getting overtaken by a ton of MTB'ers, but that's fine given that I was being as careful as possible given my lack of experience with the track (and MTBing in general). I quickly came to realize that the track that I've been riding previously is pretty much a kids course compared to what I was up against here. Tons of heavy climbs, followed by some crazy decents. A lot of loose sand on the course (way too much as far as I'm concerned) which made some sections both exhausting and a scary balancing act. I had to take a breather on several occasions. And man, at the end of the course there was some downright nightmare level drops (also accompanied by loose sand). I actually decided get off my bike for those, because I did not intend to break my neck after having survived 95% of the track. I decided to hop on the train in the nearest town (10km away) rather than riding the entire way back.

I will say this though, it's a gorgeous area. Sadly my shitty Galaxy S3 camera can't do it justice.

vJ8LosF.jpg

thomaser

Sounds like a fun ride, Danielsan! Didn't know there were such hilly, mtb-friendly areas in the Netherlands... when I've been there, everywhere has been flat as a pancake.

Had a really nice ride today in great weather. Followed a 40 km route that's used for the big local competitive ride, which was last week. They do it twice, I did it once. Maybe I can participate next year?

14211297682_0cfcfb4c85.jpg

Danielsan

Sounds like a fun ride, Danielsan! Didn't know there were such hilly, mtb-friendly areas in the Netherlands... when I've been there, everywhere has been flat as a pancake.

Had a really nice ride today in great weather. Followed a 40 km route that's used for the big local competitive ride, which was last week. They do it twice, I did it once. Maybe I can participate next year?

14211297682_0cfcfb4c85.jpg
Man Norway sure is pretty!

The Netherlands is indeed flat as a pancake. The dunes of Schoorl are one of the few exceptions. It might be a cakewalk to those of you who are used to more hilly country sides, but I was getting my ass kicked by 42m off-road climbs.

r52D7YS.jpg

Stulaw

Hey Bicycle Gaf, I just started my cycling again a couple of weeks ago after about 7 months, used to have an Apollo Excel which lasted me 7 years (completely fell apart after riding it abut 40 miles in 2 days as its last ride), and then an Apollo Code which was really bad to put it lightly (After a year or so, I quickly realised it was going to cost me more to fix than I originally got it for).

But now I've got a Muddy Fox Faithless, one that got for free off of one of my dad's friends. Its not great, the disc breaks are too sharp and the front dérailleur is slightly out of place, but it gets me to places. Did a 20 mile round trip from my house, to Tower Gateway to Dagenham and back again today (mostly following the London CS3 route), was pretty fun.

Having been at Uni in Sussex, I also enjoyed the hills around Brighton on my old Code despite it ending up as it did, and I'd really like to get a proper road bike eventually to do the London to Brighton and other events.

Mascot

^^^^^^

Great photos people - keep 'em coming! I love to hear where GAFers have been on their bikes and seeing the variety of biking terrain that we enjoy in different parts of the world.

Good leanage all round but remember: bonus points if your bike is hanging off something.

thomaser

Good leanage all round but remember: bonus points if your bike is hanging off something.

But how do we explain ourselves to people who happen to wander by as we're hanging our bikes from stuff? "Uhhh... you see there's this guy on the internet called Mascot and he wants photos of hanging bikes..."

thomaser

The Netherlands is indeed flat as a pancake. The dunes of Schoorl are one of the few exceptions. It might be a cakewalk to those of you who are used to more hilly country sides, but I was getting my ass kicked by 42m off-road climbs.

r52D7YS.jpg

I found this video. Was it the climb at 6.15 or the one at 9.30? :) Looks really fun! Doesn't look too far from Amsterdam, so it would be easy to get there if I wanted.

Danielsan

I found this video. Was it the climb at 6.15 or the one at 9.30? :) Looks really fun! Doesn't look too far from Amsterdam, so it would be easy to get there if I wanted.
Both slayed me. The first got me due to the sand before it, the second due to the length of the climb. It's a fun track though!

It's about 50km from Amsterdam. You can easily take the bike with you on the train to either Alkmaar or Heerhugowaard and ride towards the track from there.

thomaser

Nice. My little town recently got daily direct flights to Schiphol. They're cheap and fast. So it would be pretty easy to take a weekend and combine a visit to Amsterdam with some biking in Schoorl.

Mascot

But how do we explain ourselves to people who happen to wander by as we're hanging our bikes from stuff? "Uhhh... you see there's this guy on the internet called Mascot and he wants photos of hanging bikes..."

Don't worry - it's probably the least bizarre request that the internet has ever had.

andylsun

Don't worry - it's probably the least bizarre request that the internet has ever had.

I was tempted to put my bike up on the bridge guard rail rather than lean it against the rail for extra leanage points but didn't want it to fall in the river!

Awesome pictures! I really need to start remembering to snap a few pics when I'm out riding, particularly since the Texas Hill Country is really scenic this time of year.

And I learned perhaps the greatest news yesterday: my fiance told me she wants to get a road bike within the next 6 months so she can start joining in the festivities! I feel like a proud dad...

Angst

Joining bike gaf:
CNYsTjZ.jpg

I plan on buying a new bike next season, but my old Scott has served me well for the 6 years I've had it. It's pretty heavy and I want to get a real MTB next.

Top Bottom