• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

JPKellams

New Wheels!

10453980_1477154515860606_448379114_n.jpg

EDIT: Also totally had "new bike weather"... Rode home in a downpour on a shakedown ride with new rim tape and misadjusted brakes for the wheels. Also didn't think it would rain so didn't have a cape with me. That being said, the ride in the rain was actually pretty fun, except for the whole new brakepads on wet carbon wheels thing.

rode the final stage 2 climb of the tour de france this morning and it nearly broke me. it's only short but there's a killer 33% incline about half way up

cote-de-jenkin-road-pbfjx8.jpg

s7152237.png

strava leader flew up it in 2:35s, me 7:43 :(

i'm going to work on it over the coming weeks to see if i can get under 3 mins.

kottila

rode the final stage 2 climb of the tour de france this morning and it nearly broke me. it's only short but there's a killer 33% incline about half way up

strava leader flew up it in 2:35s, me 7:43 :(

i'm going to work on it over the coming weeks to see if i can get under 3 mins.

Those percentages are pure evil, but fun if only a few hundred meters. The feeling of giving it all you have and then some and yet you're going so slow that you're so close to tipping over

brentech

New Wheels!

10453980_1477154515860606_448379114_n.jpg

EDIT: Also totally had "new bike weather"... Rode home in a downpour on a shakedown ride with new rim tape and misadjusted brakes for the wheels. Also didn't think it would rain so didn't have a cape with me. That being said, the ride in the rain was actually pretty fun, except for the whole new brakepads on wet carbon wheels thing.

I like it. Good color scheme too. Mine's similar, but no white. Just black and red.

It's looking like I might have to replace my crankset as it's 14 years old and it's all OG parts. (I'm not the original owner, I've only had it for about 15 months.) At any rate, I can replace the cranks only for $400 or replace the entire gruppo for $500. Seeing as I just bought new rims and a new cassette, this is turning into Theseus's bike.

Oh yeah, I had a question in there I forgot to ask: If I do replace the crankset, do I have to replace everything? Probably considering how old it is but I just wanted to ask.

Mascot

...I want to kickstart July's NeoGAF Bicycle Age Ultimate Hangage™ competition a day or two early. Usual rules apply: while on a ride, hang your bike from something and take a photo. The overall winner will represent NeoGAF in the World Internet Forum Ultimate Hangage Finals™ early next year in Cleethorpes

IMG_20140629_114415.jpg

Am I the only one trying here?

I bike to work and back during the week, not a lot of time (or places) to hang it in the urban setting.

Next weekend though...I'm going to have 204 miles to look for spots.

kottila

It's looking like I might have to replace my crankset as it's 14 years old and it's all OG parts. (I'm not the original owner, I've only had it for about 15 months.) At any rate, I can replace the cranks only for $400 or replace the entire gruppo for $500. Seeing as I just bought new rims and a new cassette, this is turning into Theseus's bike.

Oh yeah, I had a question in there I forgot to ask: If I do replace the crankset, do I have to replace everything? Probably considering how old it is but I just wanted to ask.

The 105 has been updated quite alot over the years, so I'd definately go for the new groupset with such a small price difference, you'd even get an extra gear!

Barzul

Hey guys I'm looking to get into cycling for cardio. I want a bike that can let me do that and some general purpose stuff like riding to pick up groceries and work occasionally. Should I be looking at hybrid or mountain bikes? I'm looking to spend no more than $300 and will buy used if necessary. I'm 6'1 if that matters, I know that there's bikes for different heights. And I'm a total beginner when it comes to cycling.

thomaser

Hey guys I'm looking to get into cycling for cardio. I want a bike that can let me do that and some general purpose stuff like riding to pick up groceries and work occasionally. Should I be looking at hybrid or mountain bikes? I'm looking to spend no more than $300 and will buy used if necessary. I'm 6'1 if that matters, I know that there's bikes for different heights. And I'm a total beginner when it comes to cycling.

Sounds like a hybrid would be good for you. It's more suited for utility purposes than a mountainbike. But, of course, a mountainbike is more fun, and is usable all year round and on all kinds of terrain. So you should think about what weighs more for you: useful cycling or fun cycling.

kottila

You don't need a mountainbike if you're never going to ride off the road which goes for 96% of owners of cheap mountain bikes. Buy a bike with no shocks, it will work fine on everything except forest trails (i ride on gravel on my road bike all the time)

Mascot

I want to kickstart July's NeoGAF Bicycle Age Ultimate Hangage™ competition bang on time. Usual rules apply: while on a ride, hang your bike from something and take a photo, you lazy bastards. The overall winner will represent NeoGAF in the World Internet Forum Ultimate Nobody Gives A Shit Hangage Finals™ early next year in a dustbin on the moon.

JDl49pxBiM8unO2J_anZj2Ipc0MHowld6Z0ZsDgQqtQ=w349-h608-no

Mascot

Ha ha!

Difficulty in setting up the shot is one of the elements that the judges look for when considering their verdict.

Cheap Shimano SPDs? Require low to no maintenance unlike the speedplays (AFAIK) and you'll probably be able to get cleats from anywhere.

Second for Shimano. I have the newer 105s on my road bike, really inexpensive and I love them. And as mentioned, you can get cleats anywhere for the most part.

kottila

My general cycling rule is that if you have no idea what to choose, go with Shimano. that goes for wheels, pedals, gears, chains and brakes. more advanced users may disagree, but shimano is always value for money and almost all bike shops will have replacement parts

cbox

Man I can't seem to isolate a sound/feeling coming from my crank when I put pressure from a downstroke. It's making a clicking noise and I can feel something "move". Any ideas? I checked for debris and nadda. Bolts are all what appear to be tight, but I'm running out of ideas

I've got a shimano tiagra component set.

Mascot

No hangage today, just simple leanage.

IMG_20140701_182007.jpg

Sign? What sign?
An old biddy came out so I scarpered, but I did flick her the vees when I was at a safe distance.
Awesome!

davidnic

My general cycling rule is that if you have no idea what to choose, go with Shimano. that goes for wheels, pedals, gears, chains and brakes. more advanced users may disagree, but shimano is always value for money and almost all bike shops will have replacement parts

Shimano is also bomb proof well 105 upwards is.

Paracelsus

Great, my rear tire is wobbly and there's no one within the next 35 miles who can take a look at the spokes and the hub. I guess I'll toss the rim somewhere and get a new one.

Mascot

Great, my rear tire is wobbly and there's no one within the next 35 miles who can take a look at the spokes and the hub. I guess I'll toss the rim somewhere and get a new one.

Hard to tell without being there but work around the wheel giving pairs of spokes a gentle squeeze together - you'll soon identify any loose ones.
You should also be able to see if it's your hub bearings by gently rocking the wheel from side-to-side with your hand. If there's any movement or a notchy feel then that's where the problem lies.

Top Bottom