• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard 4 new TGS 2004 trailer !

Also, what's with the shot where Leon shoots like three monks about half way through the trailer? It had an overhead view...

doncale

Banned
after seeing this trailer, knowing its all real-time in-game or real-time cut-scene, nothing prerendered (right????) it gives me faith that NEXT GENERATION games could definitally fool the eye with visuals that look very CG-ish, if done properly.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Kandinsky said:
The mine part can't be real time.

Are you sure you want to crawl out on that limb? Look at all the broken branches. Look at all the bodies, broken in heaps on the ground below. Please, just back up against the trunk, and hold on for dear life.

Shoryuken

Goreomedy said:
Are you sure you want to crawl out on that limb? Look at all the broken branches. Look at all the bodies, broken in heaps on the ground below. Please, just back up against the trunk, and hold on for dear life.

:lol

Goreomedy said:

Haha. Seriously, if what we were told was true, everything you see should be real-time. Supposedly the only pre-rendered shots related to RE4 were the really obvious promo shots of the texas chainsaw freak slicing Leon. Pretty unbelievable, eh?

Capcom seems to be given the Cube a run for its money, and there's no "normal mapping" in the game. I'm more impressed with RE4 and From Softwares Lone Wolf on the Xbox.

Detail baby, Detail.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
RiZ III said:
arse1.jpg

Whats up with capcom and little girls in skirts crawling around. They had the same thing in Clock Tower 3. Not that im complaining.

She's 21, that's fair game :p

Here is the thing that really gets me about this game:

The graphics, unlike a game like Doom 3, are not just there so you have something pretty to look at. The really cool thing is that they've used the extra technology to further gameplay hand-in-hand with the visuals. It's sort of like how Pikmin 2 used extra power to really push a new kind of play.

The idea of having hit-zones on enemies is nothing new, but it now really affects gameplay. Same goes for the mob AI, interactive environments, and all those really nice details like being able to shoot blades out of the air. Point is, the graphics aren't just there so that you have something nice to look at. When playing the game, you really get that sense that the graphics and the gameplay go hand in hand (kind of like how the nice wave technology in Wave Race looks nice, but is also integral to the gameplay.)

JasoNsider said:
Here is the thing that really gets me about this game:

The graphics, unlike a game like Doom 3, are not just there so you have something pretty to look at. The really cool thing is that they've used the extra technology to further gameplay hand-in-hand with the visuals. It's sort of like how Pikmin 2 used extra power to really push a new kind of play.

The idea of having hit-zones on enemies is nothing new, but it now really affects gameplay. Same goes for the mob AI, interactive environments, and all those really nice details like being able to shoot blades out of the air. Point is, the graphics aren't just there so that you have something nice to look at. When playing the game, you really get that sense that the graphics and the gameplay go hand in hand (kind of like how the nice wave technology in Wave Race looks nice, but is also integral to the gameplay.)

Yeah, the visuals should compliment the gameplay and vice versus.

Kuroyume

Banned
INCREDIBLE... god bless capcom. If it wasn't for the RE games (0, remake, and now this) it would be difficult for me to like my gc

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I hate RE games. I have hope for this though, it looks so different. Some elements I hate are still there (ammo conservation), but others seem fixed (controls, even if only due to the camera angle).

Still, I'm very wary of it, no matter how great it looks. I'll have to read the reviews carefully to see just how different it is.

It looks fantastic but the graphics don't augment the gameplay any more than in most recent games and in some cases far less. Also judging from the footage of the playthrough I can't see any evidence of 'mob ai' unless by that you mean lots of characters hobbling towards you in a straight line. If we take away the veneer of the presentation the gameplay seems totally lacking in any imagination, i can't vouch for the puzzles but the combat is pretty lacklustre and clumsy from what's been shown so far. No doubt it will be quite an experience but criticizing doom3 and championing re4 gameplay in the same sentence seems strange since they both seem to suffer the same problems....

I don't know which I'm more excited for, Zelda or RE4.

On one hand, OoT and MM are my 2 favorite games of all time and this one makes me feel like sexing it up...

On the other hand, RE4 makes me want to sex up myself...hrm...

olimario

Banned
At one point all I had really seen of the game was the demo village sequence and it really didn't look that interesting or fun. Combat looked awkwards and nothing really WOWed.

But yes, the game has come a long way and that's saying something. I love seeing all of the new gameplay in this trailer and I can't wait to purchase it.
First RE game I actually want.

Silkworm

http://cube.ign.com/articles/550/550819p1.html

We could play the demo over and over again until it releases early next year, and we will now that a demo disc has hit Japan, but even as satisfying as RE4 can be it's not without a few things that still frustrate. There are still a lot of blind spots that arise when villagers crowd around you. Aiming with the gun feels fantastic as far as pointing towards what's on the immediate screen, but if you need to rotate to the left or right it's really slow. Ultimately, this interrupts the smoothness of the action. So does the inability to strafe left or right. The L-trigger still doesn't do anything. Would it be such a curse to allow Leon to strafe left and right a little so he doesn't always have to turn his back to enemies adjust his position a little?

These seem to be the only things IGN.cube could fault the game on, after playing the current demo of a game that is still a work-in-progress (as they also noted elsewhere in the impressions from which I grabed the above text). Anyway, I learned to live with the tank-like controls of the previous REs which never really upset me so I'm sure if I can't strafe in this game I'll learn to adapt (hell, the same was true about Metroid Prime which also didn't allow for strafing if I recall correctly).

celestial body said:
It looks fantastic but the graphics don't augment the gameplay any more than in most recent games and in some cases far less. Also judging from the footage of the playthrough I can't see any evidence of 'mob ai' unless by that you mean lots of characters hobbling towards you in a straight line. If we take away the veneer of the presentation the gameplay seems totally lacking in any imagination, i can't vouch for the puzzles but the combat is pretty lacklustre and clumsy from what's been shown so far. No doubt it will be quite an experience but criticizing doom3 and championing re4 gameplay in the same sentence seems strange since they both seem to suffer the same problems....

I don't want to sound like an elitist punk here, but have you played the game? There is definitely mob AI in the game. Not only will they attempt to blind-side you, but they also react accordingly with their surroundings. Animation ties into gameplay really nicely in this way. If you lead the villagers towards you while on the other side of the fence, they will climb the fence, giving you time to shoot them.

Take the reload animation for instance. Sure, it's a great animation to watch, but it also serves the purpose of creating unbelievable tension. Trust me, the visuals [/i]do[/i] tie into the gameplay nicely. That was one of my first remarks when playing, actually.

doncale

Banned
I hated most of the RE games too. even the one i actually bought, Dreamcast RE:CV, it wasnt that much fun. RE4 for me too, is the first RE game I really really want.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mama Smurf said:
I hate RE games. I have hope for this though, it looks so different. Some elements I hate are still there (ammo conservation), but others seem fixed (controls, even if only due to the camera angle).

Still, I'm very wary of it, no matter how great it looks. I'll have to read the reviews carefully to see just how different it is.
Ammo conversion is out according to the developers, I am sure you will have to be slightly conservative with it (make sure you aim well don't go firing off half cocked) but if you see a monster you can shoot it, you don't have to try and get by to save bullets.

(FYI some enemies now drop ammo, so this should allay your fears a bit)

doncale

Banned
been watching the IGN vid over & over again. the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the vid has some scenes that REALLY look too good to be true, I mean, they look too good to be realtime in-engine. can any of the techheads tell us if any of that footage is CG? i mean, some of the stuff looks like what i would expect on nextgen consoles. like where those hooded guys are shooting flaming arrows at Leon, and Leon+Girl jumping out of the large window. the villagers coming with torches (the lighting!)

resident-evil-4-20040729030235655.jpg

i mean my GOD, some of this stuff surpasses anything seen at spaceworld 2000. including the Zelda demo (that looks like shit next to RE4) even the Rebirth CG in some ways. i am no techie, so maybe i'm not understanding everything i am seeing. i mean, i can tell that much of the video is realtime, much of it looks like nice standard current-gen console graphics. but some of that stuff..... just seems so far beyond anything I've seen on any console, it has me wondering if some of it is CG or prerendered somehow... or... that Gamecube is being made to do things that we havent seen (the ole unlocked potential thing, as in gens past)

edit: i guess it's probably all in-engine. just very good use of lighting, textures and effects. damn impressive stuff, Capcom >_<

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The only part that was questionable to me was when they smashed through the window. The rest has a realtime look to it...as exceptionally awesome as it is.

Looks bloomin amazing.

"What? My...Father?!

edit - the thing at the end with the sharp claws..was that a villager?! It seemed to come out of the fire..freaky shit.

doncale

Banned
I have such a good feeling about RE4 now. I think it's gonna be a real classic. enough of a classic to get remade on Revolution.

edit: yeah! the villager is a claw creature !!??

miyuru

Looks GREAT! I still miss the first trailer's lighting in the mansion though, it even holds up today extremely well, well it shits all over anything still! Gotta love it; hopefully some of that stuff makes a return somewhere in the game assuming it was scrapped at one point.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
miyuru said:
Looks GREAT! I still miss the first trailer's lighting in the mansion though, it even holds up today extremely well, well it shits all over anything still!
Indeed the first trailer still looks good but the fancy lighting was in fact for the most part just fancy texturing.

I downloaded the IGN Insider big version

HOLYFUCK.
HOLYFUCK.
HOLYFUCK.

that trailer is HOT.

getting goosebumps from watching it and yes.. I believe it'd be claire; something about the chin. Its pretty close to Claire's chin in RE CV and her connection with Leon makes her appearance logical

the lipsync on the models is SPOT ON. fucking fantastic. FFXII had better match this.

doncale

Banned
the coolest thing about the original RE4 trailer (now we can call it RE 3.5 heh) was not only the lighting in the mansion / castle but those curtains rippling...man that was cool. I still wish RE 3.5 would get finished and released. somehow. but not likely. remember RE 1.5...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
doncale:

> ... but those curtains rippling...man that was cool.

Those are still in the new version. There's a room in the new version which looks somewhat similar to the hall with the curtains in the old version.

ge-man

gofreak said:
The only part that was questionable to me was when they smashed through the window. The rest has a realtime look to it...as exceptionally awesome as it is.

Looks bloomin amazing.

"What? My...Father?!

edit - the thing at the end with the sharp claws..was that a villager?! It seemed to come out of the fire..freaky shit.

I have my theory about the claw thing. Let's just that I don't think Mikami and co have been straight up about the story details. ;)

SantaC

Capcom has squeezed every little ounce out of the cube, and some more :D

never thought it was possible.

So, new things from the trailer, off the top of my head...

- New areas...Is it called the Mining Area I believe? And some new in-door environments as well.

- Footage of playing as Ashley

- Claire or Ada returns

- Leon is still infected with something, as shown in the previous version of RE4...What some of you call RE3.5

- Leon and Luis in a cell together

- Some sort of new creature at the end of the trailer in the midst of an explosion...Possibly a new kind of Tyrant?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cybamerc said:
doncale:

> ... but those curtains rippling...man that was cool.

Those are still in the new version. There's a room in the new version which looks somewhat similar to the hall with the curtains in the old version.

Yeah, that bit was very reminscint of the original trailer, but more daylighty (in keeping with the current setting). A nice tribute.

AssMan

Banned
have such a good feeling about RE4 now. I think it's gonna be a real classic. enough of a classic to get remade on Revolution.

I love the part in the begining after the text where it shows Leon running through some hall way(during the day?) at an angle. The mood is awesome.

SantaC

the awesome thing is that this game runs to smooth! I have talked to some of the people who has the demo, and they see no signs of slowdown.

not only is the cube able to run awesome graphics, it can do it nice and smooth also :D

Deg

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
the awesome thing is that this game runs to smooth! I have talked to some of the people who has the demo, and they see no signs of slowdown.

not only is the cube able to run awesome graphics, it can do it nice and smooth also :D

yeah i pointed out baove that the animation is nice.

Top Bottom