• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Just started playing last night.

Just got torpedoed and got back in via airlock

How far in am I and does it pick up a little? I like it so far, but it feels just the smidgest bit slow.

daviyoung

Banned
Have you played the first one? The pacing is similar, just with less back-tracking and exploring. In other words it's a far more linear adventure and quite short aswell (about 5 - 6 hours on my playthrough). It picks up towards the end.

daviyoung said:
Have you played the first one? The pacing is similar, just with less back-tracking and exploring. In other words it's a far more linear adventure and quite short aswell (about 5 - 6 hours on my playthrough). It picks up towards the end.

Yeah beat it a few months ago. So then i'm about halfway through-ish?

Kevtones

Bought this for $8.99 at GameStop yesterday...

I thought the first was overrated and so far this one is underrated. It's not great but it's polished to high heaven and straightforward in a good way.

seat

What was the consensus on The Protector Trials? Is it worth the 200 Microsoft Points it's on sale for this week? I can't decide.

seat said:
What was the consensus on The Protector Trials? Is it worth the 200 Microsoft Points it's on sale for this week? I can't decide.

I just played through these over the weekend (figures I bought them for full price last week) and for 200 points I would say they are worth playing if you enjoyed protecting Little Sisters during the campaign. The best ones are where you can only set traps, but there are several other fun trials. I found a few to be frantic, but still got an A rank on every trial except for two or three the first try.

Irish

As someone who absolutely loathed everything (including the story) other than the setting/intro in the first game, I was really surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this. Nearly everything gameplay related just feels right. I really don't know how to explain it.

Duffyside

Banned
I think this is one of the most under-appreciated games this generation. The first was such a landmark, impressive, refreshing experience the second couldn't live up to, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good, or great.

And you know what else? The multiplayer was fun as hell. Yeah, I said it. Honestly, as highly as I think of the original Bioshock, if I could only have one of the two games in my possession, I'd choose the second. It's more fun in every way.

Curufinwe

Wow. That simple tweak totally fixed the mouse aiming in Bioshock 2 for me. It's probably not perfect, but at least now it's nice and smooth instead of being jerky and over accelerated.

sn00zer

Curufinwe said:
No natively, but people have hacked it in.
Did some googling any chance there is a mod that shows the buttons as well instead of just replacing keyboard inputs with controller inputs?

DCX

DCX
Just finished it today and truly a gem, loved the first, loved the second and despite the change with the new one coming out, i still can't wait to play that one.

DCX

Kevtones

Irish said:
As someone who absolutely loathed everything (including the story) other than the setting/intro in the first game, I was really surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this. Nearly everything gameplay related just feels right. I really don't know how to explain it.

The first 30-45 minutes of Bioshock are remarkable and then it just falls completely flat. I finished 2 last night and found it to be much, much better. It's streamlined and smooth, and while I didn't care for the ending - I still had a good time.

Montresor

So if Bioshock 2 is more linear with less backtracking, does that mean many areas become inaccessible (and thus many many things become un-gettable and many achievements are missable)?

How should my first playthrough be? I've already conceded I'll have to do two playthroughs - first on hard for sure without any walkthrough (so I'm bound to miss something). Should I play with vitas off or will it be too difficult on hard?

Grisby

Montresor said:
So if Bioshock 2 is more linear with less backtracking, does that mean many areas become inaccessible (and thus many many things become un-gettable and many achievements are missable)?

How should my first playthrough be? I've already conceded I'll have to do two playthroughs - first on hard for sure without any walkthrough (so I'm bound to miss something). Should I play with vitas off or will it be too difficult on hard?

You can can explore each area before you leave if you think you'll miss something. There not a whole lotta missables as most achievements are like Bioshock 1.

Play for fun if its your fist time going through. I think I got through on hard without Vitas but it is difficult.

Montresor

Grisby said:
You can can explore each area before you leave if you think you'll miss something. There not a whole lotta missables as most achievements are like Bioshock 1.

Play for fun if its your fist time going through. I think I got through on hard without Vitas but it is difficult.

Yup. I'm going to follow the strategy I used for a game like Alan Wake. Play first on hard with no regards to walkthroughs or missables. Then mop up on an easier difficulty. So much funner that way. =D

On your hard and no vita playthrough, did you find you had sacrifice rather than save Little Sisters just to keep up with the difficult (assuming adam harvesting works the same as in Bioshock 1)?

Now that I'm done with LA Noire I'm so excited to get into Bioshock 2. It's been so long since I first played Bioshock 1; I loved that game and I'm really eager for more of that goodness.

Le-mo

I finished the game in 5 hours. I was really surprised there was no final boss, was expecting to fight
Sofia

So, I beat the first Bioshock on my Ps3 and loved it. Now I got Bioshock 2 for my PC and man..I am having trouble beating it. I just beat the preacher. It is starting to feel like a chore. What really killed me was seeing 3 little sisters in the next level. Protecting those things sucks.

So my question is does it get better in the 2nd half? Should I keep going? Should I just skip over the little sisters?

Game2Death said:
So, I beat the first Bioshock on my Ps3 and loved it. Now I got Bioshock 2 for my PC and man..I am having trouble beating it. I just beat the preacher. It is starting to feel like a chore. What really killed me was seeing 3 little sisters in the next level. Protecting those things sucks.

So my question is does it get better in the 2nd half? Should I keep going? Should I just skip over the little sisters?

Absolutely keep with it - you will miss out on some great stuff! As someone who has just completed both Bioshocks with Vita Chambers switched off (Brass Balls achievemnets), I can offer some strategies:-

Firstly, I would recommend switching the Vita Chambers off - it may seem like it ups the difficulty, but with judicious saves it forces you to actually evaluate the toolset the game gives you much more, and approach each encounter with thought and planning. Bioshock 2 much more than Bioshock can be made quite easy if you plan the encounters wisely, especially adam gathering.

In general, researching will help a lot as well, it's really well implemented in Bioshock, and there are a number of tonics to get as part of reasearch, plus increased damage to each splicer variant; if you are not researching, it will make the gathers that much harder.

Do not skip the Little Sisters, it's the best addition to the game, but you have to embrace it, plan appropriately, and remember that you can choose when to adopt, and when to gather; only do it when you are fully prepared.

Some tips on gathering:-

1. When it comes to gathering, avoid combat as much as possible - this can be achieved by Trap Rivets, Mini-Turrets, Hypnotise plasmid, Spear Traps, Cyclone Trap plasmid, Secuity bots etc
2. Always save prior to attempting a gather; ensure you are ready before trying it - max health kits, eve hypos, and decent ammunition. If you are not ready, explore other places first.
3. Use your plasmids wisely - my advice would be to get max out Hypnotise and Security Command plasmids as a priority before getting things like Electro Bolt 2 and Incinerate 2. I only had the basic Electro Bolt plasmid when I got the Big Brass Balls achievement, but I hap Hypnotise, Security Command and Decoy all maxed.
4. The planning you do for a gather really makes all the difference; if you get the traps and strategy right, you will be surprised how easy gathers become; they were actually one of the most fun parts of Bioshock 2 to me.
5. Look for Big Daddies or Brute Splicers to do some of the dirty work for you - it's quite effective to set up a perimeter to keep the splicers away from the little sister, zap one of the big guys with even the basic Hypnotise and they will do a lot of the work for you; this in turn conserves your own ammo and eve; you can mop up the stragglers. In later levels, having a Big Daddy or a Brute charmed makes a massive difference.
6. Drill Dash is your friend - any splicer gets close to a Little Sister, a Drill Dash will take them out in one hit most of the time.

I've posted a pretty in depth analysis of Bioshock 2 against the original (and System Shock 2)after just playing through both back to back.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29366996#post29366996

It really makes me sad how underappriciated Bioshock 2 is.

Playing through this for the first time and I just completed Ryan Amusements. To the games credit the atmosphere and art design are second to none but the gameplay is just so boring. All you do is collect bullets and money just so you can shoot the same couple enemies over and over. There aren't even any basic puzzles to mix up the pace. The more I play the more I want to go play Singularity a third time. Raven may have copied Bioshock in a lot of ways but they know how to do shooting. Their guns, enemies, and bosses were all superior.

soultron

Banned
Just finished this last night. Excellent game. I think a few things were wrong with it (Big Sisters being annoying and progress halting, some characters like Grace and the girl at the beginning being basically forgotten, being completely overpowered in the end, etc.) but I only feel I noticed those things because the rest of the game was phenomenal.

Combat felt much, much better than B1. I tend to be a very thorough player and was happy to be constantly rewarded for that, even if the game still felt very linear due to its plot.

End game spoilers: I find it funny how 2K Marin
sort of set the stage for more Rapture-related Bioshock shenanigans when Elena mentioned "This is just the beginning." Hopefully Infinite contains some sort of nod, however slight, to Rapture and 2K Marin's work on B2 seeing as how it will probably be some time until we see more of Rapture.

RedSwirl

I just picked this back up again. I'm really sorry, but for some reason I am very disappointed with the textures in this game. Yeah I'm playing the PC version in DirectX 10 and this is a console game but still. I just remember the first game looking better than this. The environments and art direction still look good, but I feel like the graphics engine lets them down. I guess that's Unreal 2.5 for you.

Upon just getting to Dionysis Park, the game is also easy as hell (on medium). I'm always completely full on supplies and haven't had to use a vita chamber yet. I'd kick it up to hard but I keep hearing about how Minerva's Den is better than the actual game, so I'll just get through it for that.

pirata

Hey, I've been trying to play Minerva's Den on PC, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work, I bought it off of Games for Windows Live (which I only managed to accomplish after reinstalling the damn thing), installed it, but it doesn't show up in the "play downloadable content" menu. What the fuck? I just payed for it! Why can't I play it?

Kajiba

Just beat minervas den like 30 minutes ago. My god...MY GOD!!! the story for this dlc was so good. The audio dairy's were really good from start of the level to the last level. Loved Carl lumbly voice acting in this game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, where do you get minerva's den? I've used ALL the search parameters in steam and it's not popping up anywhere! Help!!!

MickeyPhree

Sorry for the bump.

I just bought the game off of PSN and under no circumstances can I play online. I am signed in and can play other games online no problem. It even tells me to check my internet connection. Any thoughts....

Top Bottom