• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Meier

AcciDante said:
It's good.
I feel like I remember there being mixed reactions when it came out. I started it the other day and just got past the first Big Sister encounter but was kind of annoyed at how vulnerable I felt despite being a Big Daddy. I know the first/all BD fights in the first were hard too but nothing about my fights thus far has made me even feel like I am one.

Is this realistically anywhere near as good or engrossing as the first?

AcciDante

Meier said:
I remember there being mixed reactions when it cane out. I started it the other day and just got past the first Big Sister encounter but was kind of annoyed at how vulnerable I felt despite being a Big Daddy.

Its story isn't nearly as good or unique as the first, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I felt that the gameplay was actually a lot more fun in the second one. It's worth playing, at the very least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Meier said:
I just cannot bring myself to play this despite owning it for awhile and loving the original. Someone convince me..
Overall the experience is very similar to the first up until the last couple hours where the game really picks up and does some stuff differently. The endgame alone made my purchase worthwhile.

its good, its more focused to combat than experiencing the world.
definitely worth a play through, but if you liked the first one and cant be bothered to play it.. then simply dont play it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Meier said:
I feel like I remember there being mixed reactions when it came out. I started it the other day and just got past the first Big Sister encounter but was kind of annoyed at how vulnerable I felt despite being a Big Daddy. I know the first/all BD fights in the first were hard too but nothing about my fights thus far has made me even feel like I am one.

I picked it up late this summer due to hearing mixed reviews as well. I loved the game. I think I might have even liked it more than the first.
I don't know why I feel like I enjoyed it more. Might be because the combat has a better flow to it. Not quite sure. You do feel vulnerable still for quite awhile in the game, but I just kept reminding myself that I was the first big daddy ever and there have been many improvements. :)
The game was great. Not as memorable as the first. But still a very enjoyable experience.

Meier

Okay you guys sold me. I'll give it a shot after I finish Enslaved. It's a bit disappointing that so many of the achievements seem tied to the MP which is not very good.

Kajiba

Started playing this game again after I completely stop for some reason. I realize I save alot in this game :lol.

Gonna try and beat this today or tomorrow night if I can.

Meier said:
Okay you guys sold me. I'll give it a shot after I finish Enslaved. It's a bit disappointing that so many of the achievements seem tied to the MP which is not very good.

There are moments-- although very subtle and only really powerful depending on what kind of player you are-- that still linger with me as the best moments I experienced in a game in 2010.

For the spoiled, they are:

Seeing the world through the eyes of the Little Sisters was amazing. Great art direction, atmosphere, and depressing music
Finding out about, ah his name escapes me (Mark Meltzer maybe?), but the guy who ventured to Rapture to save his daughter and becomes a Big Daddy that you kill, that was amazing

So yeah I definitely think the game has some fantastic story moments.

Guevara

brandonh83 said:
Seeing the world through the eyes of the Little Sisters was amazing. Great art direction, atmosphere, and depressing music

This was truly amazing and almost justified the game's existence to me. Still, glad I played it, didn't feel like I needed to hold onto it or replay it afterward.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Meier said:

The MP is actually really fun. I mostly never play any online MP shooters but this was a blast. Defend the Little Sister is so much fun and you level up so fast that those achievements/trophies aren't as hard as you think. Electro Bolt + Tornado = :D

Dai101

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Finding out about, ah his name escapes me (Mark Meltzer maybe?), but the guy who ventured to Rapture to save his daughter and becomes a Big Daddy that you kill, that was amazing

So yeah I definitely think the game has some fantastic story moments.

When i get to that part i have to stop playing because my eyes begin to tear, it's so damn beautidul and sad at the same time ...... And yes, when you found that Mark Meltzer is the Big Daddy you just killed it's a bit of a downer too.. i love this game so much

Meier

So I finally started playing the other day and I'm really enjoying it. Feels pretty similar to the first, so I guess I'm not entirely sure why there was some backlash.

I still feel like it's pretty ridiculous that the splicers rough you up so easily despite the fact you're a Big Daddy but it is what it is. I'm saving them rather than harvesting.. that's how I did it the first go round as well so I feel like I should keep being a nice guy.

olimpia84

Meier said:
So I finally started playing the other day and I'm really enjoying it. Feels pretty similar to the first, so I guess I'm not entirely sure why there was some backlash.

I still feel like it's pretty ridiculous that the splicers rough you up so easily despite the fact you're a Big Daddy but it is what it is. I'm saving them rather than harvesting.. that's how I did it the first go round as well so I feel like I should keep being a nice guy.

That bugged the hell out of me when I first got the game. I mean, a single splicer with a wrench in his hand can kill a big daddy? It does get better as you progress and your earn all the upgraded weapons and plasmids

Kajiba

I beat the game last week. Pretty good game man. When I got to the last two levels I had enough money, ammo and upgraded plasmids that the enemies dropped like fly's. Game is definitely fun. Got the good ending too.

Now I'm going to download Minerva den which is 400 Microsoft points now and the protector trials too. Good Timing.

BeeDog

Sorry if this has been asked, but what happened with the DLC for the PC version? I recall that they re-stated that the PC WOULD get Minerva's Den, but after that...?

shuyin_

Banned
BeeDog said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but what happened with the DLC for the PC version? I recall that they re-stated that the PC WOULD get Minerva's Den, but after that...?
It's coming; recently they announced a tentative date: it's february or march, i don't really remember. I think march

Wizpig

360 deal: some Bioshock 2 DLC.

If i wanted to buy one... what's the best one?

Bioshock 2 - Minerva's Den Regular Price: 800 Sale: 400 Save: 50%
Bioshock 2 - Sinclair Solutions Regular Price: 400 Sale: 200 Save: 50%
Bioshock 2 - Rapture Metro Regular Price: 800 Sale: 400 Save: 50%
Bioshock 2 - Protector Trials Regular Price: 400 Sale: 200 Save: 50%

Dai101

Banned
Wizpig said:

Minerva's Den. All the others are just for MP, Protectors Trials are good too, but definetivelly you gotta get Minerva's Den

Wizpig said:

Will pick up Minerva's Den.

Wizpig

Dai101 said:
Minerva's Den. All the others are just for MP, Protectors Trials are good too, but definetivelly you gotta get Minerva's Den
Thanks, and can i buy it even if i still have to start the game? is it a separate chapter from the main story?

Struct09

Wizpig said:
Thanks, and can i buy it even if i still have to start the game? is it a separate chapter from the main story?

You select it from the main screen, doesn't matter how much of the main story you've played

I found this at Hastings for 20 bucks, so I went ahead and got it. I haven't been terribly excited to get it, but for 20 bucks it seemed worth it. I mean, hell, I thought the first game was great. After about an hour of the game so far I've come to this conclusion: This game was not necessary. I think rapture may be a one and done world with me. It's just not that exciting another time around. I'll try to put some more time into it and see how it turns out, but after seeing what Bioshock 3 looks like, Rapture just seems plain boring. Glad to see that Levine and team had the forethought to get out of Rapture when it was right.

Filldough

Ben Pierce said:
I found this at Hastings for 20 bucks, so I went ahead and got it. I haven't been terribly excited to get it, but for 20 bucks it seemed worth it. I mean, hell, I thought the first game was great. After about an hour of the game so far I've come to this conclusion: This game was not necessary. I think rapture may be a one and done world with me. It's just not that exciting another time around. I'll try to put some more time into it and see how it turns out, but after seeing what Bioshock 3 looks like, Rapture just seems plain boring. Glad to see that Levine and team had the forethought to get out of Rapture when it was right.

I agree that it was good to see that Bioshock 3 will not take place in Rapture, but I didn't feel like Rapture had outstayed its welcome while playing through 2. I will say that the first few hours of 2 were so.... bland? I'm not sure what it is but it was completely unmemorable. The latter half as many have mentioned is where it separates itself more clearly and in my mind becomes the better experience.

ArjanN

ColR100 said:
Whenever I see this thread on the front page I assume there's release date info for the PC DLC. The wait continues. :(

At this point Duke Nukem Forever might actually come out first. Literally.

Ben Pierce said:
It took a little while to draw me in and it doesn't quite reach the same highs as the first game, but, overall, i think it is the superior game. The pacing is excellent, even if the story/level structure is a bit formulaic. It gradually builds in quality and delivers a satisfying conclusion, instead of floundering about two thirds of the way through. Plus the gameplay is much more refined and less clumsy, due to the dual wielding and far superior hacking minigame that doesn't take you out of the action.

Filldough said:
I agree that it was good to see that Bioshock 3 will not take place in Rapture, but I didn't feel like Rapture had outstayed its welcome while playing through 2. I will say that the first few hours of 2 were so.... bland? I'm not sure what it is but it was completely unmemorable. The latter half as many have mentioned is where it separates itself more clearly and in my mind becomes the better experience.

Yes, without a doubt, I believe it. So far the game has put me off, and I don't even care about it. And what's up with the splicers? They've already killed me a few times. One splicer can kill a big daddy. The rivet gun sucks, too.

Spotless Mind said:
It took a little while to draw me in and it doesn't quite reach the same highs as the first game, but, overall, i think it is the superior game. The pacing is excellent, even if the story/level structure is a bit formulaic. It gradually builds in quality and delivers a satisfying conclusion, instead of floundering about two thirds of the way through. Plus the gameplay is much more refined and less clumsy, due to the dual wielding and far superior hacking minigame that doesn't take you out of the action.

The hacking is much better in this. I think one of my problems with the game is that it doesn't feel new to me at all. It looks too similar to the first.

Sealda

Banned
So did Bioshock 2 bomba? since i bought it for 8 euro at EB GAMES which is basically as if the game was 10 USD at EB GAMES. That low of a price. The big mega edition have been like 200 SEK= 18 euro for like 2 months...Finally seemed to have sold out, they just got the PC version left. (This price at a webstore)

I've owned it since launch, and I just made myself finish it last night. I'm glad I did.

Without a doubt a better, denser game than the original. Can't wait to get Minerva's Den when they decide to make it happen on PC.

Is there any complaints about how the game runs on PC? It feels like a console port and it runs choppier and the controls on PC feel wierd. I remember playing bioshock 1 on PC and everything ran very smooth.

Loved this game. Sure Bioshock would be a damn hard game to live up too, but this game completely exceeded my expectations!

Very much looking forward to see what they have in store for us with Infinity

Is there something wrong with this game or my computer?

I have Athlon 64x dual core 3800+, 2 gig ram, NVIDIA 8800GT

Bioshock 1 ran flawlessly with everything on high and 1440x900 resolution. Now i run Bioshock 2 on steam and the graphics dont look as good and is really slow and choppy with MUCH LOWER framerate. Menu is slow and cursor is laggy. The in-game mouse look feels laggy and choppy too, what is wrong?? Bioshock 1 had none of these problems. The game feels unplayable because of this crap. This is even with graphics turned down to medium.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sarcasm said:
Doesn't even work with xpadder?
i assume xpadder works but ive never used it. maybe nows the time.

ugh, i didnt check the features but i assumed this game owuld have it since bioshock 1 did and both were released on the 360. hell the 360 was probably the lead platform

I'm having some serious performance issues with this game.

I'm playing with an AMD 6950 flashed to a 6970 and it's running like crap. Even when I turn the settings down i'm still only getting about 30fps. Tried Bulletstorm demo which is unreal engine and windows live just like this game and i'm getting a constant 30fps with maximum settings and 8x AA (its capped at 30fps). I can't work out what the problem is, it's fucking weird. I can run Crysis 2 on extreme so I should be getting about 90fps with this game.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Top Bottom