• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Has there been an FOV patch for PC yet? Back in Feb the devs announced that they were going to release a patch addressing the messed up FOV for widescreen PC. It's now July...

Anyway, I've been messing with the .ini settings to set a keybind for FOV90, and it works, except for whenever I aim down the sights of the gun, it reverts back to the default FOV and I have to press the button to reset FOV to 90 every time after that. A patch to sort this out would be great, any word on it?

Dai101

Banned
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...august-3-2010-2010-07-01?reflink=MW_news_stmp

The pack includes:

-- Six new maps: three unique difficulty levels, each based on favorite locales from BioShock 2;

-- New unlockables, including never-before-seen concept art and videos;

-- Seven new Achievements/Trophies.

2K Games announced today Protector Trials*, an all-new single-player focused downloadable game add-on for BioShock(R) 2 that puts players back into the boots of the Big Daddy as he defends his Little Sister against swarms of corrupt Splicers who are hell-bent on stealing the precious ADAM that she gathers from corpses. Available starting August 3, 2010, this exciting and action-packed addition will challenge players to use the full arsenal of the BioShock 2 tool set as they dispatch their foes and unleash their wrath on enemies across six different areas from the single-player experience.

"The team at 2K Marin has been working hard ever since the launch of BioShock 2 to develop ways for gamers to extend their time in the single-player world of Rapture," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "I'm proud to announce the first of these experiences, the Protector Trials, which takes players back to some of their favorite places from the original game and features some of the biggest challenges that fans of this series have ever experienced. This is just the beginning. More single-player content is on the way that will deliver more of the intense action and story-driven gameplay that fans have been craving."

Protector Trials is being developed by the core team behind BioShock 2's single-player experience. It contains a series of challenges focused on frantic combat and fast-paced action that are designed to push players' mastery of weapons and Plasmids. The goal is simple, but tough to achieve: players must keep their Little Sister safe from the intense onslaught of Splicers as she gathers ADAM from corpses.

This will be available for 400 Moondollars on XBL or $4.99 on the PSN Store

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zp4V0X_NTM

Also:

In the coming months, 2K Games will publish more downloadable content that extends the single-player experience, providing new insight into the world of Rapture. The next package will expand the narrative, and introduce new tools and new challenges that extend the lore and fiction of the failed utopia under the sea.

So it's very much like the single player dlc that came out on the PS3. I was hoping for some sort of mini campaign when I first heard that this dlc is coming. Meh to more trials.

twdnewh_k

Hey guys, Im having a problem with Bioshock 2 and was wondering if anyone has a solution.

Im playing the pc Steam version. I encoutered my first big daddy, and after killing it the game prompts me to press 'F' to adopt the little sister.

Problem is nothing happens when I do. I tried reloading an older save and the same happens.

Any ideas ? Thanks

Dai101

Banned
twdnewh_k said:
Hey guys, Im having a problem with Bioshock 2 and was wondering if anyone has a solution.

Im playing the pc Steam version. I encoutered my first big daddy, and after killing it the game prompts me to press 'F' to adopt the little sister.

Problem is nothing happens when I do. I tried reloading an older save and the same happens.

Any ideas ? Thanks

I think there's a bug regarding that issue, try the Tech Issues subforum on 2K official forums

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
twdnewh_k said:

Any ideas ? Thanks
Have you changed the default 'use' key?

If you changed it to, I don't know, 'e' then press 'e' instead.

Hey, sorry to bump but I just wanted to ask:

(end game spoilers)
Because I harvested every little sister, my Elenaur was evil, and harvested every little sister she saw, I assume that if I had saved them all then she would have teleported them to that boat thing right?

Also her mums reason for hating me was that I had turned her evil, if I had saved all the little sisters, what would her reason for hating me be? What would she say instead of "you turned her into a monster"?

I also have to say that I love the fact that they added a 'story' to the multiplayer.

Hypereides

Gold Member
bobs99 ... said:
I also have to say that I love the fact that they added a 'story' to the multiplayer.

I thought the same untill I realised they barely touch on it. The concept is great, but poorly executed.

Alivor

Just picked this up over the weekend and I haven't had a chance to play yet and I was just wondering if there's any sort of community online? I'm really in it for the single player, but online looks kinda fun. I'm very excited to play this, I loved the first one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I got this from the gamestop sale, I've wanted to play it since launch but I thought I'd wait for the price to drop a little bit. It was $30 at the sale, half price is good enough for me.

Anyways, I like it so far (a couple hours in). It definitely does play better than Bioshock and I'm glad that they changed up the gameplay a bit with the Big Daddy weapons. Like most of you, I can't shake the feeling that it's just Bioshock: Again. The introduction sequence felt a little underwhelming after Bioshock 1's intro with the plane crash and Andrew Ryan's speech, but I guess it's unrealistic to expect any game to top that.

But it's still worth the price of admission just to be able to go back to Rapture. I forgot how much I enjoyed Bioshock 1, I exploredlike every single inch of Rapture in the first game so it's good to be back.

AppleBlade

After being underwhelmed by Red Dead Redemption (I can't put my finger on it but it just felt like a chore to play that game) I traded it in and got this. I'm about 40% in (I'm in Siren Alley) and I have enjoyed the game very much thus far. This really is just more of my kind of game.

Finished the single player a while ago and really enjoyed it, more so than i thought considering the hate some people give the game.

Been playing onine recently and thats also very fun, as long as you can find a game you are ok which sometimes can be a pain. The amount of exp it takes to level really jumps towards to get to 30. 28-29 was around 2k i think then suddenly 29-30 is over 4k. Gonna take a while to get to 40 but im having fun so i dont mind.

Beat the game on hard mode tonight. Now I just need two multiplayer trophies for platinum. Unfortunately those happen to be the ones for level 30 and level 40. I'd like to at least get to level 30 before I lose interest and play something else.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Picked up the collector's edition for €20 and expected a pile of shit instead of a game but I have to say I'm enjoying this game far more than I did the original. Going to try some multiplayer later to see what that's all about.

Finally started getting into it and I'm loving it, maybe not as much as the first one, but the hacking is awesome, the combat is better but the narration is weaker and I hate these "defensive mini games" of protecting the little sister while she harvests.

AppleBlade

Just finished the game right now. I loved the original and after I heard Ken Levine wasn't going to be working on the sequel, I wrote it off. Now that it's finished, I have to say Bioshock 2 is one excellent game. It's my favorite game of 2010 thus far. The story wasn't quite as good as the first but still better than the vast majority of games. I loved the art design, I loved the combat (at least more so than most first person shooters), it has my favorite type of level design (linear so that you don't get incredibly lost but open enough that you get the feeling that you're exploring a world and not just going down endless hallways.

Dai101 said:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...august-3-2010-2010-07-01?reflink=MW_news_stmp

The pack includes:
-- Six new maps: three unique difficulty levels, each based on favorite locales from BioShock 2;
-- New unlockables, including never-before-seen concept art and videos;
-- Seven new Achievements/Trophies.

Cool.

Dai101 said:
This will be available for 400 Moondollars on XBL or $4.99 on the PSN Store:
Uh . . . Steam? PC version? Urk.

Edit: You left this out:
Protector Trials will be available starting August 3, 2010 from the Xbox(R) LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows-LIVE for 400 Microsoft Points, and from the PlayStation(R)Network for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system for $4.99.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been impressed by this, I'm glad I waited because I saved $30 but it deserves to be played. It's just as Bioshock as the first one, it's not quite as memorable but it plays even better. Lamb is now
flooding rapture
and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. It's definitely one of the more under appreciated games of this year so far.
I don't know if I'll ever even try the multiplayer, though. Is anyone still playing on 360?

Snuggler said:
I've been impressed by this, I'm glad I waited because I saved $30 but it deserves to be played. It's just as Bioshock as the first one, it's not quite as memorable but it plays even better. Lamb is now
flooding rapture
and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. It's definitely one of the more under appreciated games of this year so far.
I don't know if I'll ever even try the multiplayer, though. Is anyone still playing on 360?

The multiplayer has got a bit of a following, theres definatly a bunch of players that play every day, so your garunteed matches. I found it to be fairly good at getting you even matches aswell, so dont worry about going in and losing, you may be suprised how well you do.

I should also add that the multiplayer is a REALLY different experience, and a pretty good one so you would be missing out by not playing it.

Ultimatly I prefer other games and didnt have the time to stick with it, but its well worth trying.

gdt

I've also been playing this (I working through a pretty big backlog right now, so I rotate 3 games), and I'm loving it. About 5/6 hours in.

About every single gameplay refinement is for the better (higher difficutly, sparser ammo, less health/eve slots, hacking, dual wielding, etc), and so are the visuals.

It just isn't as fresh or as compelling (storywise) as BS1, but how could it be? Very much enjoying it, and it's certainly a worthy sequel. So far, a great game to BS1's excellent. So far.

Scarecrow

I was about to get the new maps, but read that there have been problems with them popping up in matchmaking. All the articles on this are pretty old. Does anyone know if they've solved the problem yet?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just beat this a few hours ago. It was a great experience, I think I enjoyed it as much as the original Bioshock. I played as a good character, sparing everyone and saving the little kids. The ending sequence had some cool moments, so it ended on a good note for me.
I might give the multiplayer a shot before shelving it. At least one game just so I can say I did.

Dai101

Banned
2K Games Announces Minerva's Den - Narrative-Driven Single-Player DLC That Expands the Storied World of BioShock 2

Final installment of DLC introduces new characters, locations and enemies to the world of Rapture later this fall

2K Games announced today Minerva's Den*, an all-new single-player focused downloadable game add-on for BioShock(R) 2 that introduces new characters, locations and mystery to the fiction-rich world of Rapture. In development for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows-LIVE, Minerva's Den is a self-contained narrative experience that puts players in the role of an all-new character who has teamed up with Brigid Tenenbaum to unravel a dictator's stranglehold on a key district in the distinctive city under the sea.

SOURCE: http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1456882

DAMN!!!! A second SP DLC and i haven't buy the Protector Trials yet ....... D:

God am I annoyed at myself, I have just finished the game for the second time this morning to get the last of the trophies I needed. I already played online for about 22 hours and I now messed up getting the Saviour trophy
I didn’t realise you needed to save Gil Alexander as well as the other choices you have, it just made more sense to put him down since he actually asks you himself to do it. Now I have to go through it again just for that 1 trophy 

Other than my stupidity it’s a great game that I had a lot of fun with, the online was a lot more fun than I thought it would be too.

EDIT* Got my Platinum finally, had to start again just to get to the Alexander part, took around 4/5 hours i think in one sitting (wife was out with friends :D ).

Great game and i would welcome a 3rd

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I bought the collectors edition of this game on release but never really bothered opening it :lol Planing on playing it now for the first time, anything I should know before I start? I'm really pumped for this since Bioshock (1) was amazing.

Also, for the online trophies (playing it on the PS3), will it be impossible to get them since no one's playing this online?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So im trying to get the research master trophy, and im fairly certain that this game is going out of its way to screw me over....Im in Inner Persephone and i still need to finish researching the thuggish splicers. I havent seen one in forever, and the game refuses to have them come around. So am i screwed? I highly doubt the trophy carries over through playthroughs...

Scarecrow

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So im trying to get the research master trophy, and im fairly certain that this game is going out of its way to screw me over....Im in Inner Persephone and i still need to finish researching the thuggish splicers. I havent seen one in forever, and the game refuses to have them come around. So am i screwed? I highly doubt the trophy carries over through playthroughs...
sure are. the thuggish splicers disappear after the first few levels. after you beat the game, just restart an easy playthrough to wrap up that achievement. You can get all the research done in a few short hours.

Just finished Minerva's Den. Anybody on the fence about this should just buy it - it's great. I actually preferred the main narrative to that of Bioshock 2 itself - when the story started properly revealing itself, it was pretty deftly done. And there was actually an attempt at emotional resonance through the narrative, and that attempt paid off! Madness. My wife watched me playing it, and at the end said (and I quote), Oh, that's really sad! Sure, it plays just like Bioshock 2, and the environments weren't exactly thrilling and new, but as a 5ish hour slice of story in Rapture - and one that closes the story of Rapture off nicely, I felt - it was absolutely worth my time and money.

Kind of a dumb question, but is it safe to play BioShock 2's multiplayer before getting into the main game? Does it give away any cool locations or anything surprising?

I don't want to start the main game yet because I just finished BioShock 1 this week and I wanted to play something else in between games so I don't overload myself and get sick of the series. But I figure maybe I'd go for a few MP trophies in the meantime.

Wowbagger

ThirstyFly said:
Kind of a dumb question, but is it safe to play BioShock 2's multiplayer before getting into the main game? Does it give away any cool locations or anything surprising?

It's safe. The multiplayer is set before the events in Bioshock 1 and the maps on the disc are all reworked areas from the first game. Just don't get the DLC maps.

Snuggler said:
So I got this from the gamestop sale, I've wanted to play it since launch but I thought I'd wait for the price to drop a little bit. It was $30 at the sale, half price is good enough for me.

Anyways, I like it so far (a couple hours in). It definitely does play better than Bioshock and I'm glad that they changed up the gameplay a bit with the Big Daddy weapons. Like most of you, I can't shake the feeling that it's just Bioshock: Again. The introduction sequence felt a little underwhelming after Bioshock 1's intro with the plane crash and Andrew Ryan's speech, but I guess it's unrealistic to expect any game to top that.

But it's still worth the price of admission just to be able to go back to Rapture. I forgot how much I enjoyed Bioshock 1, I exploredlike every single inch of Rapture in the first game so it's good to be back.

$20.00 this week at BestBuy with coupon for Silver member thingie.

I got it from Amazon (limited edition) this week for $39.99 (with 10 coupon). Too many games to play this month. I hope we have slow Jan-March.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
So is there a release date for Minerva's Den on PC? This is pretty annoying -_-
I feel like we're just never going to get it at this point.

Really, really disappointing. I wish there was more angry buzzing on the internet, but at the moment it's the sound of one hand clapping.

Firestorm

Rez said:
I feel like we're just never going to get it at this point.

Really, really disappointing. I wish there was more angry buzzing on the internet, but at the moment it's the sound of one hand clapping.
Something tells me this is going to be like Mirror's Edge where it takes so long for the DLC to come out that I lose interest...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Glad to hear Minerva's Den is pretty good. I'll have to pick it up.

antiquegamer said:
I hope we have slow Jan-March.
That period doesn't look slow by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm having a problem with the PC version of Bio2. It freezes whenever I log into GFW. I've tried every fix google recommends with no luck. Anybody else run into this? The game ran fine for about 6 hours of play. All of the sudden, it wouldn't recognize the my saves and now it keeps freezing. It won't freeze if I don't log into GFW. I have literally uninstalled and reinstalled everything to no avail.

NoRéN

Hello everyone.
Finally started playing this game and I've encountered a problem. I can't switch plasmids. Common problem? Glitch? Fixable? Thanks for your time.

Picked this up recently and I am enjoying, they've done some quite nice things with how the Little Sisters work and the Big Sisters are ace, if not scary and nails to kill! It looks stunning and the RPG elements work nicely even if a few of them are rather pointless.

That's one thing with the game, I am playing it on Normal and it feels really, really tough. You're a Big Daddy and the enemies kick the shit out of you with ease, it feels odd after Bio 1 where the same enemies felt much weaker when you were in the suit.

I just got to Dionysus Park, how far through the game am I? I was told "This is the end of the line" when I reached the area after Dionysus Park but that might not be the end of the game, if you know what I mean.

Meier

I just cannot bring myself to play this despite owning it for awhile and loving the original. Someone convince me..

Top Bottom