• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Anyone else jump out of their chair when after you pulled the lever to open up the door to the warden's room and upon turning around, you were face to face with a Boy of Silence?

Yes...that was evil, so evil. The only jump scare in the game and they put it at the very end after lulling us into a false sense of security. It was both incredible and cruel. I wish that sort of atmosphered had been maintained for the whole story. I don't particularly care too much for horror but something about Rapture (at least up to the end of Medical Pavilion) was quite unsettling/creepy and I prefered it to Columbia's atmosphere. I can recognise that the shift in atmosphere was done for a reason though.

EDIT: Although, I do completely agree with the above posts in that it was out of place. I wish they transitioned much more gradually to it as it was a drastically different tone to what proceeded it.

kurahador

Anyone else jump out of their chair when after you pulled the lever to open up the door to the warden's room and upon turning around, you were face to face with a Boy of Silence?

Yep. That part got me.
Sorta similar to Bioshock with that splicers who pretend to be a corpse mannequin.

I'd really like to explore the rest of 1984 Columbia under the rule of Old Elizabeth. That would be kind of interesting. Is it basically a totally warped and messed up society like what Rapture became? She mentions the monsters she has created, I wonder if thats just limited to the Comstock House or if all of Columbia in that timeline got really messed up?

I'd really like to explore the rest of 1984 Columbia under the rule of Old Elizabeth. That would be kind of interesting. Is it basically a totally warped and messed up society like what Rapture became? She mentions the monsters she has created, I wonder if thats just limited to the Comstock House or if all of Columbia in that timeline got really messed up?

This! I would love to have seen more of the city after it had become a darker place.

Is young Comstock the DeWitt in-game model with a beard?

What are you unclear about? :) We'll try to answer all your questions.

Is the voice the same? That is to say voiced by the same actor? Surely they did some techno wizardry to alter the pitch to sound like an old man?

Is the voice the same? That is to say voiced by the same actor? Surely they did some techno wizardry to alter the pitch to sound like an old man?

Two actors, but I feel like that was a necessary evil. It's hand-wavable as "oh well time changed both of them" or whatever.

I love Troy Baker's work in this game, but he's pretty identifiable. It would have ruined the game to have him voice Comstock.

Thank you for posting this. There are a ton of haters who seem to remember the original Bioshock's combat encounters as being something they really weren't.

I was even one of those people, but yeah if you go back and play the older Bioshocks you realize Infinite is more open "arena shooter" esque.

Dismantling the hub world into what we have now(which is always a fresh new area and very little backtracking) works.

Just saw a fucking cool video on youtube. Apparently some ambient sounds are songs slowed way down, a guy sped it up and you can hear the songs at a more normal speed. There is a tonne to this game it's amazing

Bioshock Infinite - Music Hidden in Ambient Noise

Yeah, and I'm sure there are more. I actually posted a clip yesterday of an area in Finkton that sounded like another slowed-down song, but I haven't been able to figure out how to speed it up properly. It doesn't sound quite right at 10 times or 8 times faster.

If anyone wants to take a crack at it, they should go for it. I've actually been wondering if we should start a separate thread for it or something, since these tracks are all over the game.

Trigger

iu5IS.gif

I can't seem to identify a proper speed to set the Finkton recording to to reveal whatever the music is. Anyone with a better grasp on sound editing should take a whack at it, because it's definitely something.

There's another area later in the game, the sniper alley, that also has similar rumbling/ambient sound.

witness

Made me think of Slender, my wife screamed out loud at that part.

I was so glad that part was over with though, that struggle to fight those guys and I had like no ammo at all the entire slog.

I can't seem to identify a proper speed to set the Finkton recording to to reveal whatever the music is. Anyone with a better grasp on sound editing should take a whack at it, because it's definitely something.

There's another area later in the game, the sniper alley, that also has similar rumbling/ambient sound.

I tried to change it myself but it doesn't sound any better or clearer at any speed I try. It just seems to a sort of boppity kind of song slowed wayyyyyy down. But it's hard to tell
Wow... I saw the Gameradars clip posted earlier but this is amazing.
I know right?? makes me wonder just how much stuff is actually hidden in this game

If the game was reloading a checkpoint the multiple Bookers thing makes total sense.

It is much more problematic with the way the game's revive mechanic works. When you step out of the office every single action you took up to the moment of your death is still intact including guys you killed and stuff you picked up. A "new" Booker could not possibly take a string of actions where the guy you had shot an instant before you died is still dead.

I get the point, but this is still a game and we have to give some liberty with the mechanics

Finally finished it! Really liked it... I do have a question... it was probably answered before but here it goes:

1- If Booker was killed before his baptism by Elizabeth why is she still alive? Wouldnt it also kill her since she wouldnt even exist without her father?

2 - Anyone noticed some similarities with the Zero Escape series, specially Virtue's Last Reward?

FluxWaveZ

1- If Booker was killed before his baptism by Elizabeth why is she still alive? Wouldnt it also kill her since she wouldnt even exist without her father?

2 - Anyone noticed some similarities with the Zero Escape series, specially Virtue's Last Reward?

1: Do you mean when they all blink out of reality? I think it's left ambiguous if the last Elizabeth standing disappears or not, but I think she does as I think the screen going black with the last sound cue means the last one left disappears like the others.

2: Zero Escape is very similar to BioShock Infinite, yes.

Dylan

On the slowed down / sped up song bits: yes it's cool but it's actually a common trick of sound designers to take sounds clips from music or speech and slow them down / mangle them to make them sound like eerie noise.

edit: Beaten, as usual!

Trigger

Finally finished it! Really liked it... I do have a question... it was probably answered before but here it goes:

1) She isn't still alive. Or at least Liz as we know her is no more. Annas still exist in other non-Comstock timelines.

2) Yes, but I'd be careful about spoiling anything here.

FluxWaveZ

On the slowed down / sped up song bits: yes it's cool but it's actually a common trick of sound designers to take sounds clips from music or speech and slow them down / mangle them to make them sound like eerie noise.

Yeah, so I doubt it's anything significant, though it's still a cool find. One of the Irrational Behavior podcasts had developers in charge of sound over at Irrational Games talking about their process for the reveal trailer, revealing things like using a clip of someone's daughter saying "daddy" when Elizabeth was using her magic.

Dylan

Yeah, so I doubt it's anything significant, though it's still a cool find. One of the Irrational Behavior podcasts had developers in charge of sound over at Irrational Games talking about their process for the reveal trailer, revealing things like using a clip of someone's daughter saying "daddy" when Elizabeth was using her magic.

This is why I kind of doubt the legitimacy of the "Songbird in Rapture" thing. It's likely just a recycled sound effect that happened to fit in Infinite.

If you listen closely, I'm pretty sure the same sound effect is actually used in early Infinite levels as ambiance without referencing songbird.

The Hermit

ohhhhhh I finally got the paradox of Booker being killed by Anna/Elizbeth.

So good ending (he keeping the girl) exists after all?

Given that the early game one sounds like a woman playing guitar and singing, I'm willing to bet they're outtakes from soundtrack recording sessions. I'd looooove to figure out the original sounds, though.

I've never noticed it before. I'll certainly be on the lookout for it from now on though, it's very interesting and a clever usage. The only time I can remember something vaguely similar was Dredd (I think they used a Justin Bieber song as a placeholder during production slowed down eight hundred times and then replaced it with an original, similar sounding song; but in saying this, as I've mentioned before, my knowledge of music is pretty much non-existent, I only can remember this from reading it somewhere in the Dredd topic). As you've mentioned it's almost certainly not significant but it's still interesting to note (or, at least for me anyway but that's probably because I'm unfamiliar with such techniques).

EDIT: At the above, yep, I'm pretty interested in figuring out where they originate from too. That seems like a decent possibility though.

I was even one of those people, but yeah if you go back and play the older Bioshocks you realize Infinite is more open "arena shooter" esque.

Dismantling the hub world into what we have now(which is always a fresh new area and very little backtracking) works.

I'm going through Bshock 1 right now and it definitely hasn't aged as well as my rose tinted welding mask led me to believe. Feels soooooo cramped especially that first big daddy fight. I can't believe how confined it is.

One thing I noticed going through the game again is you guys know the fight after Shantytown where you have to jump on the rails to take out the blimps engine?
If you look around that area there is a ton of rails going all over the place and tons of hooks and places to land/shoot from that have no purpose whatsoever. It makes me think that fight was massively stripped down(Still a great fight). I bet there was 2 blimps at one point or something along those lines.

Top Bottom