• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Neiteio

The ideal DLC would include:

- New player character
- New AI power
- No tear powers, but ability to direct your AI partner to effect change in other ways
- New voxophones, infomericals, etc
- New weapons, vigors and gear
- New strong enemies (Handyman, etc)
- Return of under-utilized enemies (Boys of Silence)
- New areas: Three of them, like Minvera's Den
- Make one of those areas hub-like, like Finktown
- New propaganda, PSAs, stained glass, etc
- New architecture and decor
- Some substantial battles on skyrails
- New insights into Fink, Daisy, etc
- Some insights into Songbird
- More anachronistic music

If the Season Pass is only $19.99 I'm not sure how much we are actually getting. Three shorts campaigns that run a couple of hours each?

Guevara

if one of the DLCs involved playing as Robert Lutece experiencing the tears for the first time, it would be magical. just make it an adventure game.

I want a spooky early 1900s lab with experiments gone awry. We got 2 seconds of that, but I think it could support a full DLC episode.

Personally I'd like to see:

A dlc that focuses on Liz's childhood.
Another one about the Lutece (so much backstory here).
A dlc about the creation of songbird.

God there's so much potential.

Hale-XF11

I want a tear that leads me to Tesla. Then I take him with me to the future and we rescue the world with free energy before his experiments are destroyed by Edison and his cronies from the past.

DarkKyo

- New player character
- New AI power
- No tear powers, but ability to direct your AI partner to effect change in other ways
You are describing a sequel, I am afraid.

Neiteio

You are describing a sequel, I am afraid.
Have you played the Minvera's Den DLC from BioShock 2? If the three mini-campaigns for Infinite are each like Minvera's Den, we'll get all of that and then some.

They've apparently indicated we'll get three mini-campaigns, so I expect some great stuff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I want a tear that leads me to Tesla. Then I take him with me to the future and we rescue the world with free energy before his experiments are destroyed by Edison and his cronies from the past.

You reminded me: This game has a grave lack of Tesla.

v0mitg0d

Completed the game early this AM, thought about things on the way to work and figured String/M theory involvement. Came to GAF and am marveling at all the revelations.

I'm stunned.

Then I got to the Songbird sound in B1 and I'm speechless.....I mean, that's confirmed not a doctored video?

Oh and also, what's up with Nate Wells not even being mentioned in the credits? I'm fairly certain he contributed a lot to the game, particularly the art direction. WTF happened over there?

pakkit

Banned
I've got a pretty strong inclination that this is Ken Levine's last Bioshock game. It just seems like a swan song, same as Portal 2.

I'd love to see what 2K Marin can do, though, it looks like their XCOM game was cancelled.

zkylon

zkylewd
EDIT:
Nope, the Luteces need to scare Booker, hence the body and notes because otherwise Booker may not be adaquetly frightened and could flee to Paris with Elizabeth (he even mentions that they aren't the sort of people you want to cross). Comstock gave a note ordering the lighthouse keeper to murder Booker (visible on the map) so the lighthouse keeper became a problem. Murdering him isn't a problem to the male Lutece because he wishes to reset the timeline (and thus he'll have never been killed in the first place) and the female Lutece wouldn't care either way (since her nihilistic beliefs are repeatedly mentioned and are a significant part of her character).
I always felt killing the lighthouse keeper was kinda out of character for the luteces but this explanation suits me, and also makes them somewhat retain some of their "innocence". I felt their almost friendly, quirky personality was sorta tainted by that grisly murder

Tunic

Excellent OT! This helped clear up a lot of things after I finished my playthrough last night. Can't wait for the DLC to be released! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to piece everything together! This is why GAF is awesome!

Excellent OT! This helped clear up a lot of things after I finished my playthrough last night. Can't wait for the DLC to be released! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to piece everything together! This is why GAF is awesome!

Detective GAF is the best GAF

Blinck

So does the theory that each time we die we play as another Booker been validated in any way?

It still doesn't make sense to me. If this was the case then there would have been only one attempt at the whole thing (in which they just brute force the whole thing by "calling in another" Booker each time one dies), and it is confirmed that there have been many ( the Luteces dialogue on the boat confirms this)

I was thinking about the Handyman/men yesterday and how it was a shame that they all looked the same. But then I wondered...don't you only fight/see one of them per dimension? The passive one at the carnival, the one outside of Chen Lin's and then one more that's aligned with the Vox? If so, what an ingenious way to get around using the same enemy model.

Salamando

I was thinking about the Handyman/men yesterday and how it was a shame that they all looked the same. But then I wondered...don't you only fight/see one of them per dimension? The passive one at the carnival, the one outside of Chen Lin's and then one more that's aligned with the Vox? If so, what an ingenious way to get around using the same enemy model.

On Hard mode at least, you mean another one in Comstock's airship.

Jasoneyu

Love this thread, really clarified a lot of the questions and theories I had about the ending. The subtitle infinite makes sense now since it is a play on inifinite realities/worlds.

Trigger

So does the theory that each time we die we play as another Booker been validated in any way?

It still doesn't make sense to me. If this was the case then there would have been only one attempt at the whole thing (in which they just brute force the whole thing by "calling in another" Booker each time one dies), and it is confirmed that there have been many ( the Luteces dialogue on the boat confirms this)

Not really. This is still an issue of personal interpretation. Is revisiting that room the beginning of another Booker's journey, or just his memories popping up after suffering trauma? YOU decide. :p

It was my interpretation that WE (the player) are only seeing the 'perfect version'. So every time you die, the loop starts over...but it only picks up for us where we died instead of having us play through the entire game again.

As the Luteces dialog confirms there have been many failed attempts.

This holds for the death scenes being in the office, but not for where Liz 'revives' Booker

- New player character
- New AI power

Bolded what I think we WON'T get. I don't think we're going to get another AI like Elizabeth, it would take more than just reskinning her with a different look/person to replicate and I just don't see it happening.

The other stuff I can see, although in limited capacity. A new player character is almost assured, same for new voxophones/battles on skyrails/new areas. New Vigors and guns? Maybe one or two new Vigors at most, I think, is what we'll get. Probably get a new gun or two as well, but not many. I expect a lot more gear, though.

I'm hoping we get at least one of the scrapped Heavy Hitters as a new addition. And another Boys of Silence section would be ace. But that's pushing it.

ultron87

Not really. This is still an issue of personal interpretation. Is revisiting that room the beginning of another Booker's journey, or just his memories popping up after suffering trauma? YOU decide. :p

The very first time it happens on a death Booker says something like "what the hell was that?" as if he experienced the whole office and door opening thing directly. I feel like that disproves that you, as the player, are transitioning into a new Booker.

This isn't necessarily the case because every new Booker would have to do the same thing to make things easier to change, hence there being many Bookers by the end of the game.

So for example:

Booker 1: Action A, Action B, Action C, dies.
Booker 2: Action A, Action B, Action D, Action E, Action F, dies.
Booker 3: Action A, Action B, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action I, dies.
Booker 4: Action A, Action B, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M, dies.

Turns out action M is related to Action B, so they need to change action B!
Booker 5: Action A, Action V, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, dies
Turns out Action V got Booker killed:
Booker 6: Action A, Action W, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M, Action N...
Booker 123 (Booker we play as by coin flip): Action A, Action W, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M... Action Q dies in firefight.
Booker 124: Action A, Action W, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M, Action R... Action S, dies in firefight.
Booker 125: Action A, Action W, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M, Action R... Action S, dies in the same firefight again.
Booker 126: Action A, Action W, Action D, Action E, Action G, Action H, Action J, Action K, Action L, Action M, Action R... Action P... Action Z. Success (so we experienced/played through everything this Booker did)!

So by the 126th (this is just an example) time, they'll have repeated almost everything, exactly the same; having the row conversation every single time, very slightly meddling. The game just fast forwards to the point before where we died for convenience. We also know many Bookers died at Songbird's hand. By the time we play through the game, they've done everything so much times, spent so long trying to reset timeline, that it's hard to take everything so seriously, as it could just be another failure. They don't 'brute force it' by bringing in another Booker exactly where the previous one died, they brute force it by repeating everything exactly the same (and then the player manages to allow Booker to survive by doing better).

EDIT: MMBosstones86 explained it much better/easier to understand I think.

EDIT: Although as Trigger mentions, the mandatory office sequences haven't been 'resolved'. Personally, I think it's much more likely they're flashbacks/memories while Sorian believes that they're deaths.

ultron87

If the game was reloading a checkpoint the multiple Bookers thing makes total sense.

It is much more problematic with the way the game's revive mechanic works. When you step out of the office every single action you took up to the moment of your death is still intact including guys you killed and stuff you picked up. A "new" Booker could not possibly take a string of actions where the guy you had shot an instant before you died is still dead.

Guri

If the game was reloading a checkpoint the multiple Bookers thing makes total sense.

It is much more problematic with the way the game's revive mechanic works. When you step out of the office every single action you took up to the moment of your death is still intact including guys you killed and stuff you picked up. A "new" Booker could not possibly take a string of actions where the guy you had shot an instant before you died is still dead.

The "Booker B" would have done the same things that "Booker A" did. Except A died.

This is a valid point, but it's only really relevant in instances when you simultaneously die with an enemy (or after something like taking down a zeppelin). Other than those instances though the enemies regain life and you have the same amount of bullets, while also spawning in a different location. If you really wanted to push the theory through you could just suggest that the bullet that killed Booker missed the new Booker while everything else occured the same and Booker retreated (but I don't think this is likely since we wouldn't see the change).

EDIT: But ultimately, yes, as Guevara says, it's primary purpose is as a game mechanic. If it fits into the plot, at all, it's a secondary reason/justification.

Guevara

I think a lot of these gameplay mechanics need to be taken at face value. It's not all a brilliant narrative device. Dying in game would be meaningless without some cost, that cost is money, it's that simple.

Same reason there's salt everywhere.

Blinck

Thanks for the clear up on the theory guys, it makes more sense now, although like you guys said it isn't perfect!

Cheers!

Little extra: At the Fink factory, when Fitzroy throws you out of the airship...did you guys notice that ALL the workers are synchronized to the sound in the background ? ( i think it's coming from the huge clock). Really cool little touch in that scene :)

Pooya

okay, I just finished at last. Didn't have any problem with anything in the plot and kinda figured it out shortly after you start opening tears and revolution thing what was really happening, Rapture part was very cool 'easter egg' and good use of existing material to relay the plot point.

the only part of story I was like why, was the silly Zeppelin part during revolution. When you're stuck behind a door and have to go to the ship and take it down. just to deal with Fitzroy and get back your ship and go to Paris or whenever, why not just take that ship instead >.> I know it wouldn't work because of songbird anyway but the player motivation in that part was kinda weak, while every other part in the game I didn't have any problem with why I'm going here and doing this, although that mother ghost part got tiresome and repetitive gameplay wise, plot revelations and audio logs though make it enjoyable.

oh, and the telegram in the beginning, #77 thing, that was from twins I take it?

Trigger

Little extra: At the Fink factory, when Fitzroy throws you out of the airship...did you guys notice that ALL the workers are synchronized to the sound in the background ? ( i think it's coming from the huge clock). Really cool little touch in that scene :)

I noticed it and wondered if there was going to be upon a mind control plot. lol, apparently the guys just really like moving in synch.

Guevara

In the carnival at the beginning: can you actually win anything more than a few silver dollars? I played a few games and won like $25 each time, but is that it?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Someone suggested that Liz steals it from Booker while he's out and it's the same money she occasionally throws to him.

Hahaha, you guys. I only died twice with Elizabeth and this didn't happen to me.

Liz is an angel; she would never do that. D:

Except, you know, lead an assault on New York (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

Top Bottom