• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

I think a lot of these gameplay mechanics need to be taken at face value. It's not all a brilliant narrative device. Dying in game would be meaningless without some cost, that cost is money, it's that simple.

Same reason there's salt everywhere.

Nonsense. Let me attach narrative significance to everything!

Haven't posted in a while and things have gotten too big to recount the whole thread but I was doing a lot of thinking lately about the game. I said before that you die at the start from baptism and after songbird the first time and I know a lot of people didn't agree with this thought and going to the office every time was just a memory etc. (cos of the NYC burning bit) but something kept sticking in my head about it and backed up my idea a bit more

All death in the game (all major ones anyway) are all dealt with in baptism. Comstock is killed at the font by Booker and submerged, Song bird is killed by baptism in water, You kill all Comstocks and Bookers by Baptising again (just drowning though) so I think you DO die after being baptised at the start and you also die after songbird chases you and Liz for the first time cos you also get submerged in water then too.

Seems like Baptism is associated heavily with death. The only thing clashing with this is that flash forward of NYC burning from Old Liz. But I just thought this stuff was interesting. Sorry if it was discussed more thoroughly

FStop7

Banned
I think a lot of these gameplay mechanics need to be taken at face value. It's not all a brilliant narrative device. Dying in game would be meaningless without some cost, that cost is money, it's that simple.

Same reason there's salt everywhere.

Nonsense. Let me attach narrative significance to everything!

Maybe so, but the first time you die and come back via the door Booker says "Huh? What was that?" which means your character is aware of what just happened and it's not just an animation that plays for the sake of the player.

This doesn't leave much room for sequel though. I'm expecting something completely new again.

They could have a sequel following a different character in a different part of the city as Booker makes his way through Colombia. We either pass through certain areas before or after Booker. Could work.

Salamando

Seems like Baptism is associated heavily with death. The only thing clashing with this is that flash forward of NYC burning from Old Liz. But I just thought this stuff was interesting. Sorry if it was discussed more thoroughly

If Baptism could be seen as the death of the sinner, then maybe the point was Booker and Comstock are so ingrained with sin that they can't be separated. Beyond redemption. That kind of thing.

Also wouldn't say Songbird's death was a baptism in water or anything of the sort. Comstock and Booker were both drowned. Songbird was more likely crushed.

Still doubt Booker died in that early baptism though. Felt like forshadowing...water and religion were more painful to him than anything else he experienced in game. Stabbed in hand? Still kills a room full of people afterwards. Baptized by an old blind priest? Passes out.

Lakitu

st5fu
Heh, just noticed that you can see land and stuff beneath the clouds when you're about to board the First Lady. Pretty cool.

rocK`

Banned
I noticed it and wondered if there was going to be upon a mind control plot. lol, apparently the guys just really like moving in synch.

You see this a lot in labor jobs. People usually just zone out and get into a rhythm with each other

Cartman86

Banned
lol it's painful to listen to people talk about this the logic of the game now. Everything is pretty clear that is intended to be clear. Anything that isn't explained is obviously intended to be left open to allow the audience to answer a question themselves (does the top fall in Inception type things). The only stuff i'm interested in are peoples personal experience in the execution. Was it ruined because you thought about it too much? Was the Pacing off? Too much exposition too late? Magical science mumbo jumbo? Are you interested in the question it asks? Problematic depictions of race? Characters becoming plot points etc.

M3z_

I currently trying to compile a list of a bunch of the moment in the game in which you are confronted with information or scenery that foreshadows the truth of the eventual ending without the player knowing at the time it is present, so that I can bring them all up in my discussion with my brother(who wouldn't search out this info on his own) about this game. So far the ones that I can remember are

Comstock's note to kill booker at the lighthouse/dead guard
The flipping of the coin
The "he doesn't row" line
House of heroes revealing Booker's past as narrated by Comstock
Elizabeth not what she is but what she isn't in the Lutece voxiphone
Get the girl and wipe away the debt line
Anachronistic music

Please PM me any other ones people think were good that I am missing so far, I know I am missing some.

DatDude

Banned
I currently trying to compile a list of a bunch of the moment in the game in which you are confronted with information or scenery that foreshadows the truth of the eventual ending without the player knowing at the time it is present, so that I can bring them all up in my discussion with my brother(who wouldn't search out this info on his own) about this game. So far the ones that I can remember are

Comstock's note to kill booker at the lighthouse/dead guard
The flipping of the coin
The "he doesn't row" line
House of heroes revealing Booker's past as narrated by Comstock
Elizabeth not what she is but what she isn't in the Lutece voxiphone
Get the girl and wipe away the debt line
Anachronistic music

Please PM me any other ones people think were good that I am missing so far, I know I am missing some.

smaller one's

Vini Vidi vending maches: "I came, I saw"..but no conquered (Vicci)

"Momento Mori" etched on the shotgun..in latin meaning "Remember, you will die"

MNC

Can someone explain the doesn't row thing? I mean, if it's just the fact Lutece knows he won't row since they've been through this so many times, then I get it. If it's something else...

Vol5

On a second playthrough, I noticed when you first meet Liz she's holding a "Basics of Quantum Mechanics" book. Nice touch.

Guevara

On a second playthrough, I noticed when you first meet Liz she's holding a "Basics of Quantum Mechanics" book. Nice touch.

By R. Lutece

Bioshockinfinitepreview_616.jpg

Just the thought of this cracks me up. "Booker! Booker!!" *Rummages through pockets*

If she's rummaging through my pockets for change, why can't she pick up her own damn lockpicks? "Booker! Booker! There's a lockpick over there!" You're the one using them, why am I lugging them around?!

Actually, now I'm imagining a reverse situation where you find a lockpick and shout out "Elizabeth! I found a lockpick!" and turn and toss the lockpick at her and she catches it.

neoism

I want a spooky early 1900s lab with experiments gone awry. We got 2 seconds of that, but I think it could support a full DLC episode.

that would be awesome that area in the game was the most system shock/ bioshock in the game and was a nice change of pace... plus playing stealth is something I try in every game

neoism

fuck me I posted in the OT thread. by mistake :( thankfully reading my post its not that spoilery...
but what was it that changed Booker so much into Comstock just getting baptized... Booker wasn't that evil but Comstock is a racist asshole...

FluxWaveZ

fuck me I posted in the OT thread. by mistake :( thankfully reading my post its not that spoilery...
but what was it that changed Booker so much into Comstock just getting baptized... Booker wasn't that evil but Comstock is a racist asshole...

It's been said that because he felt all of his sins were absolved because of a greater power through the baptism, he did not feel guilt or remorse for his past and instead reaffirmed what he had done as the right path, becoming Comstock.

I finished Bioshock 1 and 2 this week. I played them after Infinite and I was disappointed. It was way too contained and corridor-shooter. Go here, get that, go there. It was tough going from Infinite's colossal open world to dark and dank Rapture.

The question I have now is was it just meant to be a tongue in cheek thing or was it meant to replaced by something more interesting before the game was released.

zewone

What the hell was with the little Ben Franklins and lighthouse head dudes when you're in 1999? Is that just showing how screwed up everything got?

Creepy.

neoism

guys where was the third code braking thing... where you find a book and a passage on a wall or whatever... I found the third book at the big town area later in the game and went everywhere but could not find the passage anywhere...

Guevara

guys where was the third code braking thing... where you find a book and a passage on a wall or whatever... I found the third book at the big town area later in the game and went everywhere but could not find the passage anywhere...

Pretty sure that one was in the bank quite a bit later in a vault. That one stymied me for a while.

Dylan

I finished Bioshock 1 and 2 this week. I played them after Infinite and I was disappointed. It was way too contained and corridor-shooter. Go here, get that, go there. It was tough going from Infinite's colossal open world to dark and dank Rapture.

Thank you for posting this. There are a ton of haters who seem to remember the original Bioshock's combat encounters as being something they really weren't.

It's in the bank in a room where the word "Hoarder" is written. The trail splits in two after the first large room. If I remember correctly you can go right to the vault or left to the room where you find the Vox code (the code is on a page or something on the table I believe). I really wish they made it more clear if you'd gone past the area where the codes were really. It wouldn't have been so bad if they were in the same area but when some of the codes and (particularly) the keys require you to progress a significant different and there's no map it made it difficult to judge.

Geido

The Bank of the Prophet, if I'm not mistaken. You get acces to the entire bank when you follow the story.

Anyone else jump out of their chair when after you pulled the lever to open up the door to the warden's room and upon turning around, you were face to face with a Boy of Silence?

FStop7

Banned
That part didn't get me at all, I saw it coming a mile away. Too similar to Bioshock 1. :|

Also, I was feeling so invincible by that point that the enemies didn't intimidate me.

Guevara

It's weird that they had TVs there and no where else (everything else was projected). Seemed out of place and looked pretty "Rapture" to me.

Top Bottom