• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

just one of many theories. i don't personally believe she killed all Bookers. just the one who was gonna get baptized.

You're right. At the baptism where she kills you, she says it isn't the same place as the previous baptism scene and the preacher finishes his speech, ending with asking which name he'll take.

kurahador

Elizabeth kills the Booker that didn't go through with the Baptism... before he was able to make the choice.

Nope. Watch the final scene again.
Liz brings Booker to the baptism ceremony for the second time.
Booker said, "Wait..we've been here." (refer the reject scene earlier)
Liz, "No, this is different." (implies that this is the accept universe)

Btw...I think this is the intended thought process when watching the ending:
-wait, she kills all Booker?? Damn...
<post-credit scene>
-owh ok, i guess she only kills the accept baptism one. Yay!

LiK

Nope. Watch the final scene again.
Liz brings Booker to the baptism ceremony for the second time.
Booker said, "Wait..we've been here." (reject)
Liz, "No, this is different." (accept)

Btw...I think this is the intended thought process when watching the ending:
-wait, she kills all Booker?? Damn...
<post-credit scene>
-owh ok, i guess she only kills the accept baptism one. Yay!

yea, i sorta think the after credits was to show he they had a happy ending. he's still in debt but i'm gonna be an optimist and assume he will try to do better to have a better life with his kid.

nib95

Banned
yea, i sorta think the after credits was to show he they had a happy ending. he's still in debt but i'm gonna be an optimist and assume he will try to do better to have a better life with his kid.

Not really. Poor Anna is going to grow up with some junkie drunk gambling dad, and probably not be a shadow of her Elizabeth self.

Anyway, lets have a vote, how many of you think she killed ALL Bookers before they took the baptism decision, and how many of you think she killed ONLY the Booker that accepted baptism (thus stopping only a version of Booker that would become Comstock)?

Varna

I've never watched a credit scene in my entire life. :/

Oh well, something to look forward to when I play the game again. Once some DLC is out.

Not really. Poor Anna is going to grow up with some junkie drunk gambling dad, and probably not be a shadow of her Elizabeth self.

Anyway, lets have a vote, how many of you think she killed ALL Bookers before the baptism decision, how many of you think she killed ONLY the one that accepted baptism (thus stopping only a version of Booker that would become Comstock).

This is what I've been saying! But who knows, he did regret giving her away. Maybe she is the thing that turns his life around. Though how he will get out of all that debt... Oh, DLC idea! Bank robber Booker!

I like the idea of Booker getting a second chance. Though the former makes more sense to me..

LiK

Anyway, lets have a vote, how many of you think she killed ALL Bookers before the baptism decision, how many of you think she killed ONLY the one that accepted baptism (thus stopping only a version of Booker that would become Comstock).

Anna ends up being a hooker :(

You read my theory. Only the Booker who died was the one who would be baptized.

Oh well, something to look forward to when I play the game again. Once some DLC is out.

yea, let the credits play. totally worth it.

nib95

Banned

Just watch it on YouTube. It's literally only a few seconds long. Just him waking up in that room, calling for Anna, and going in to the room where her cot is. You never see if she's inside or not, though presumably she is.

LiK

Just watch it on YouTube. It's literally only a few seconds long. Just him waking up in that room, calling for Anna, and going in to the room where her cot is. You never see if she's inside or not, though presumably she is.

if he liked the guitar scene, he should totally look up the full credits as well. i really liked that lil jam session with Levine during the credits.

Neiteio

I gotta make a distinction with something. Comstock isn't Booker. Comstock is what Booker might have been(although yeah the whole Booker/Comstock thing and how that ties into his arc is the most interesting thing about the game). The weird thing about the game is that Columbia is a symbolic exaggeration of Booker's terrible past, but he's also the most stand up guy there. It never feels like he's coming to terms with his past sins so much as just fighting bad guys, even after the reveal.
I don't see Columbia as symbolic of Booker's past. I see it more as emblematic of the way he rationalized his wrongdoing in another timeline where he became Comstock. The city of Columbia is the result of "rationalization," while Booker's sequestered existence in his apartment is the result of "depression" (used here to mean living with guilt).

And as far as race, I never really got the feeling that Booker was all that racist to begin with. Yeah he took part in atrocities but that's not quite the same thing as just out and out hating black people(in general, I feel Booker becoming Comstock is some serious Stretch Armstrong shit). Maybe there are some audio logs I missed and all, but he seemed to act pretty courteously to all the minorities you run into. Because of that, it doesn't really seem like an essential part of his arc and just something there to provoke. The people of color in the game are merely props to facilitate Booker and I'd kind of rather they just not be there at all in that case.
Booker -was- racist, back when he was a 20-something at Wounded Knee; he killed partly out of racism, and enjoyed it, and partly to prove himself to his fellow soldiers (since Booker himself has Indian blood). But here's the thing: The Booker we play we as is no longer racist. This is the "catch" to Depression Booker, the Booker who rejected baptism and believed himself irredeemable; while he is trapped in a vicious cycle of drinking and debt, he at least he did not rationalize away his wrongdoing. Instead, he lived with the guilt, and since he lived with the guilt, he eventually came to see racism for its inherent ugliness. He never stopped feeling guilty, and that guilt inhibited further racism.

Now Rationalization Booker, aka Comstock, did the opposite: Baptism "washed away" his sins, and born again as Comstock, he not only felt forgiven what he had done, but justified in it. He came away from baptism with a new sense of self, a newfound charisma and confidence and conviction that attracted followers and reinforced his racist beliefs as more and more people echoed his cult of personality. He became politically influential, and, unbound by any pity for minorities, he steamrolled them. He became the opposite of Depression Booker -- he became somebody, somebody who has everything, everything but a sense of remorse for past ills and any desire to do better.

I've seen people do this in real-life. Not to Comstock's extreme, of course, but I've seen people "born again" who become more bigoted for it. It's terrible, and a result of ideology whitewashing one's past and filling in thought and reflection with dogmatic absolutes.

I really can't agree about Columbia seeming idyllic. It's pretty yeah, but as soon as you get there you're forced to take part in their religious rituals(nothing against religious folks), you overhear people talking about Comstock's divinity, watch people literally worshiping Benjamin Franklin like a god(red alert bro, c'mon) and see how they make monsters out of men. That Handyman clearly doesn't wanna be there, I mean he's pulling a Frankenstein routine right there. They concoct inhuman abominations in labs you don't wanna raise your kids here.
OK, that's true, there is a bit of eyebrow-raising stuff, but at the same time there is abundant sunshine, greenery, glorious monuments/architecture, shoe-shiners, bakeries, creameries, candy stores, cafes, restaurants, gift shops, cobblestone streets, kids playing in a fire hydrant, people picnicking, parades, flower boutiques, and so on, and so forth. It's just a quaint and peaceful place.

The forlorn Handyman aside, and ignoring any personal misgivings about cults for the moment, there is just an idyllic state of existence in Columbia, one not unlike depictions of the "good ol' days" of the Deep South. Of course, like the Deep South back then, the shiny exterior conceals an ugly underbelly of racism... I felt it was well-done.

Read every bit of the OP and still don't quite get it. Part I don't quite understand is how their events (Elizabeth's drowning Booker) end up breaking it from a variable to a constant when there are so many other worlds where the girls might not be to kill Booker, and thus the variable continues in a loop. Maybe someone could explain in layman's.

In any case, just reading the OP, hats off to the team. Absolutely fantastic game, and a narrative of this depth in a video game is brazen and commendable to an endless degree. Can't believe how many layers there is to it all. I mean, this image alone blew my mind...

How the hell did Levine come up with this? Lol.

Also, OP, please fix the broken image links if you have the time!

There is broken image links? I don't see them Nib.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Anna ends up being a hooker :(

You read my theory. Only the Booker who died was the one who would be baptized.

yea, let the credits play. totally worth it.

Anyway, lets have a vote, how many of you think she killed ALL Bookers before they took the baptism decision, and how many of you think she killed ONLY the Booker that accepted baptism (thus stopping only a version of Booker that would become Comstock)?

This is what depresses me. But the way that Booker opens the door, is as if he remembered what happened or something. I hope. That'd make him a good parent.

LiK

This is what depresses me. But the way that Booker opens the door, is as if he remembered what happened or something. I hope. That'd make him a good parent.

the lil hint there was he yelled out for Anna and went to check. that makes me think he sorta remembers what happened or had some sort of premonition. hopefully, it means he'll take good care of Anna.

Okay good. Thanks for checking LiK

no prob

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Booker -was- racist, back when he was a 20-something at Wounded Knee; he killed partly out of racism, and enjoyed it, and partly to prove himself to his fellow soldiers (since Booker himself has Indian blood). But here's the thing: The Booker we play we as is no longer racist. This is the "catch" to Depression Booker, the Booker who rejected baptism and believed himself irredeemable; while he is trapped in a vicious cycle of drinking and debt, he at least he did not rationalize away his wrongdoing. Instead, he lived with the guilt, and since he lived with the guilt, he eventually came to see racism for its inherent ugliness. He never stopped feeling guilty, and that guilt inhibited further racism.

Now Rationalization Booker, aka Comstock, did the opposite: Baptism "washed away" his sins, and born again as Comstock, he not only felt forgiven what he had done, but justified in it. He came away from baptism with a new sense of self, a newfound charisma and confidence and conviction that attracted followers and reinforced his racist beliefs as more and more people echoed his cult of personality. He became politically influential, and, unbound by any pity for minorities, he steamrolled them. He became the opposite of Depression Booker -- he became somebody, somebody who has everything, everything but a sense of remorse for past ills and any desire to do better.

I've seen people do this in real-life. Not to Comstock's extreme, of course, but I've seen people "born again" who become more bigoted for it. It's terrible, and a result of ideology whitewashing one's past and filling in thought and reflection with dogmatic absolutes.

Precisely, and you see this exact theme reflected in the two worlds later on. On one hand you have the world where the Vox never rise up, one that is idyllic, but one that hides it's dirt underground and views the atrocities commited to establish Columbia in a perverted, rationalized way. Then you have the Vox universe where hatred for racists causes people to just go overboard, killing people in the name of justice and revenge.

These two worlds are entirely parallel to the characters of Comstock and Booker. The Comstock comparison is obvious, but you, the player, as Booker, is no different from the Vox. I remember walking through the early chapters of the game, unravelling the layers upon layers of institutionalized racism and oppression and thinking "I can't wait to give these people what's coming to them" and I imagine many others felt that way too. So throughout at least the first half of the game, you justify the killing of all these people left and right because you view them as deserving of punishment, and thus you're really no different than Fitzroy.

So when Booker says Comstock and Fitzroy are one and the same, perhaps this is an allusion to the fact that Comstock and Booker are one and the same.

Toa TAK

Banned
the lil hint there was he yelled out for Anna and went to check. that makes me think he sorta remembers what happened or had some sort of premonition. hopefully, it means he'll take good care of Anna.

Me, too. All that gambling and drinking will be a hard habit to crack down on, though.

And this is all assuming that she's in there.

I hope to God she is, though. This story needs a happy ending for me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is this legit?

Bioshock Infinite - not only is Wounded Knee a real event, Booker and Slate were real troopers

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1c1kas/bioshock_infinite_not_only_is_wounded_knee_a_real/

y6ZFSvj.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre

DatDude

Banned
10 bucks some highschool student/college student had a presentation over Wounded Knee and has used the edited names (without knowing it was edited) "Slate", and Booker Dewitt in their projects/presentations :p

Finished the game a few days ago.

Still thinking about it. Haven't played another game since :lol

Brilliant story and world. The themes that they have (religion, birth, death, racism, space/time etc) are so well-detailed and so deep, I've not seen them all done together in a game before. VERY ambitious and interesting. Shooting galleries are still massively dull though, just wish the game hadn't featured that, as it kinda ruins future playthroughs for me.

I think I understand the story now, thanks to this thread.

Completed it last night, and whilst I really admire the intricacy of the story and effort that went into managing timelines, I still have a fundamental issue (i've noted my gameplay issues in the OT and elsewhere).

Ok, if we assume that the Baptism is the constant and 'touchpaper' for everything, what I have issue with is this:-

The story apparently forgets the 'Infinite' tag with the 'accept the baptism' decision having a single outcome of Booker -> Comstock -> maniacal despot/ religious nut.

Where are the shades of grey? Where is the possibility that Booker accepts the baptism and DOES NOT become Comstock, but instead it brings him some semblance of peace (and every variation in between)? In Infinite universes and timelines these possibilities must exist no?

Now, I'm not a religious person, but I do know some people that take comfort in their faith and it works for them.

Having a hardwired constant where accepting the baptism always leads to him as a religious despot is a bit heavy-handed for my tastes.

kurahador

Where are the shades of grey? Where is the possibility that Booker accepts the baptism and DOES NOT become Comstock, but instead it brings him some semblance of peace (and every variation in between)? In Infinite universes and timelines these possibilities must exist no?

Yes...but that's in another timeline/universe with their own Booker/Elizabeth handling them.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Every time I quote somebody to try to answer their question because I know the answer, I end up typing and re-typing and then confusing myself and deleting the whole thing. I love this game.

Bah.

Finished it twice now and still missed one telescope and two infusions. Yet I managed to get all voxophones.

I may try 1999 mode but Comstock's ship is still hard as hell. I have no idea how i'd do it. Boarding the zeppelins instead of using the Songbird, as someone suggested, is really, really slow. Not sure how to approach it.

So I just beat this about an hour ago, why the hell did booker need to die exactly? She said she wanted to get rid of all comstocks, but that's fucking impossible. Because even if she drowns booker, even if she wipes out all the comstocks that came from that baptism, there's still countless timelines where she doesn't drown booker at the end, even if she drowns him here. That's the nature of divergent timelines, something she actually just lectured the player on when giving you the examples of rapture and showing all the lighthouses and possibilities. Hell, there are near infinite comstocks still, all across the multiverse, that branch off from the actions in this game. That's what infinity is. Her failure to grasp the nature of what she was just lecturing booker about is frustrating.

Booker didn't need to be sacrificed for her vain little quest of futility, she should have let the man be fucking happy in his own timeline that he worked his ass off to save.

Edit: I'm more grumpy with this ending than I should be. I thought the ending was great up until then, too.

pringles

SirMossyBloke said:
Bah.

Finished it twice now and still missed one telescope and two infusions. Yet I managed to get all voxophones.

I may try 1999 mode but Comstock's ship is still hard as hell. I have no idea how i'd do it. Boarding the zeppelins instead of using the Songbird, as someone suggested, is really, really slow. Not sure how to approach it.
The telescopes/kinetoscopes can be pretty easily grabbed by just loading up the chapter where you've missed them. Use a guide to see which ones you don't have. Doesn't seem to work for the infusions though, they all have to be grabbed in one playthrough.

And yeah Comstock's ship was difficult... played on Hard and that along with the Siren fights (specifically the first one) were the only times it got really frustrating. Just started a 1999 run and don't look forward to those fights, as ammo was scarce as hell already.

Other than those moments I loved every single second of the game. Probably the best game of the generation for me.

Completed it last night, and whilst I really admire the intricacy of the story and effort that went into managing timelines, I still have a fundamental issue (i've noted my gameplay issues in the OT and elsewhere).

Ok, if we assume that the Baptism is the constant and 'touchpaper' for everything, what I have issue with is this:-

The story apparently forgets the 'Infinite' tag with the 'accept the baptism' decision having a single outcome of Booker -> Comstock -> maniacal despot/ religious nut.

Now, I'm not a religious person, but I do know some people that take comfort in their faith and it works for them.

Having a hardwired constant where accepting the baptism always leads to him as a religious despot is a bit heavy-handed for my tastes.
Doesn't Elizabeth specifically state that they're not 'done' as long as the POSSIBILITY for Comstock to exist...exists? I don't recall anything about it being inevitable that the baptism leads to him becoming an evil religous leader, just that the baptism is where that possibility was created so that's where they have to end it.

But it's all pretty fresh and jumbled in my memory, just finished it last night and I need another playthrough to fully digest everything, even if the OP of this thread does a marvelous job of clearing things up.

@Pringles
Doesn't Elizabeth specifically state that they're not 'done' as long as the POSSIBILITY for Comstock to exist...exists?

This is where things get tricky with Paradoxes, I had similar 'my head hurts' sessions trying to digest Looper, and it was much more tighlty focussed and simple IMO.

IMO, as Comstock and Booker were the same person, the possibility for him to exist was NOT created at the Baptism; I would argue at the very simplest that the possibility of Comstock was birthed at Wounded Knee, the source of the trauma.

So I guess tying the birthing of the 'Comstock possiblity' to something religious is what I find heavy-handed.

I don't recall anything about it being inevitable that the baptism leads to him becoming an evil religous leader

Maybe another way for me to phrase it is that the story doesn't allow for any possibilty in the infinite 'rejection' timelines for the existence of Comstock? Surely there would be a varied future in there where the angry Booker rejecting the Baptism still becomes Comstock (just maybe not a Prophet), and the one that accepts that Baptism has Anna and the futures and roles are totally reversed. This eventuality is not catered for IMO, of course exploring it simply makes things even murkier and harder to follow!

But as far as the paradox handling goes it's fine, it's more thematic nitpicking that I'm doing, and I think the 'choice and consequence' motif is undermined in it's effectiveness.

What if for example, the 'fulcrum' moment where Comstock was birthed was a scene at Wounded Knee where Booker had (or not) to kill a child? That would have so many thematic touch points it would have been far more compelling to me. Probably too controversial I'm sure, but it would have resonated and made much more sense.

The Booker that chose to descend into savagery with the other soldiers and killed the child -> Comstock
The Booker that resisted and maintained some semblance of humanity in such a Trauma -> game Booker.

This echoes Little Sister Harvesting, the choice to sell Elizabeth, so many things.

Whether or not Irrational intended it this way, I just don't like the the simplistic resolution that implies 'Reject religion, OK - Embrace it, NOT OK'. Too simplistic and trite for me.

ScOULaris

So I just beat this about an hour ago, why the hell did booker need to die exactly? She said she wanted to get rid of all comstocks, but that's fucking impossible. Because even if she drowns booker, even if she wipes out all the comstocks that came from that baptism, there's still countless timelines where she doesn't drown booker at the end, even if she drowns him here. That's the nature of divergent timelines, something she actually just lectured the player on when giving you the examples of rapture and showing all the lighthouses and possibilities. Hell, there are near infinite comstocks still, all across the multiverse, that branch off from the actions in this game. That's what infinity is. Her failure to grasp the nature of what she was just lecturing booker about is frustrating.

Booker didn't need to be sacrificed for her vain little quest of futility, she should have let the man be fucking happy in his own timeline that he worked his ass off to save.

Edit: I'm more grumpy with this ending than I should be. I thought the ending was great up until then, too.

I'm right there with you man. I think we all want the logic of the ending to line up perfectly so we can have this awesome validation from the game, but in reality it just doesn't make complete sense. The justification for her drowning Booker and undoing all kinds of things (including herself) is weak considering how many infinite possibility spaces and timelines exist. What do a few possible timelines matter to her when she can basically see where all roads lead, including roads to completely alternate universes where neither Comstock nor Booker existed? And since she can travel to other realities and continue to exist in them, regardless of whether or not she originally existed in them, she can basically pick which reality to live in.

Of course I applaud this game for reaching for such lofty story concepts, but I think time will show that it never tied everything together perfectly.

Like the quote from Lutece went: "The mind of the subject (player) will desperately struggle to create memories (rationalizations) where none exist..."

RDreamer

So I guess tying the birthing of the 'Comstock possiblity' to something religious is what I find heavy-handed.

Um... in case you missed it, Comstock's entire existence is pretty entirely religious. The baptism and his turn are heavily intertwined.

Maybe another way for me to phrase it is that the story doesn't allow for any possibilty in the infinite 'rejection' timelines for the existence of Comstock? Surely there would be a varied future in there where the angry Booker rejecting the Baptism still becomes Comstock (just maybe not a Prophet), and the one that accepts that Baptism has Anna and the futures and roles are totally reversed. This eventuality is not catered for IMO, of course exploring it simply makes things even murkier and harder to follow!

Then he's not Comstock. I mean, he is in name, but for the purposes of what the game is talking about he's not Comstock. He's not the prophet they were looking to stop.

spekkeh

Banned
In the end Elizabeth could freely hop between time and space, like the Luteces. She could have directed half of the Booker Elizabeths to intervene in the Comstock Elizabeth's timeline and circumvent it from happening. But maybe she was just tired of living.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm right there with you man. I think we all want the logic of the ending to line up perfectly so we can have this awesome validation from the game, but in reality it just doesn't make complete sense. The justification for her drowning Booker and undoing all kinds of things (including herself) is weak considering how many infinite possibility spaces and timelines exist. What do a few possible timelines matter to her when she can basically see where all roads lead, including roads to completely alternate universes where neither Comstock nor Booker existed? And since she can travel to other realities and continue to exist in them, regardless of whether or not she originally existed in them, she can basically pick which reality to live in.

Of course I applaud this game for reaching for such lofty story concepts, but I think time will show that it never tied everything together perfectly.

Like the quote from Lutece went: "The mind of the subject (player) will desperately struggle to create memories (rationalizations) where none exist..."

If you read the OP, there's several explanations and theories where what happens does in fact make sense:

WHY DOES KILLING BOOKER AT BAPTISM STOP ALL VERSIONS OF COMSTOCK?

This is a topic that, for many, may be extremely complicated and, in addition, has several prominent theories. One thing, that must be noted, is that it is stated in the game, that Elizabeth murders every Booker "before the choice is made before [he is] reborn".

The first theory, that I believe is this(SEE BELOW GRAPH)

Elizabeth murders every Booker (not just every Booker that accepts, EVERY Booker). Bookers that attend Wounded Knee and survive always go to the baptism, this is a constant. There are no relevant Bookers to the story that don't go to the baptism. Because Elizabeth murders every Booker, she creates a paradox. The paradox that exists is that:

A single Booker must accept the baptism so the probability of Booker becoming Comstock exists so that the probability of buying Anna exists so that the probability of Elizabeth becoming omnipotent and murdering every Booker exists which means a single Booker must accept the baptism so the probability of Booker becoming Comstock exists so that the probability of buying Anna exists so that the probability of Elizabeth becoming omnipotent and murdering every Booker exists and so on. It's all one big paradoxical loop. A look at this loop through what Booker sees is this (EatChildren's timeline with Zkylon's green edit):

Quote:
MULTIVERSE GRAPH
Quote:
MULTIVERSE GRAPH 2
To escape the paradox ever existing, it means that every Booker that ever attends/attended/will attend the baptism must always reject it. If even a single Booker out of an infinite Bookers accept, a paradox is created where every Booker is murdered by their in conceived daughter before making a choice. As a result, a destruction resolution to the paradox occurs, where the probability of any Booker accepting the baptism is removed, and every Booker must reject the baptism

To put it very simply:
Before the events of the game
Constant:
The Baptism

Variables:
Accept = Probability of Comstock = Probability of Elizabeth
Reject = Probability of Booker selling Anna to Comstock.

After the events of the game
Constant:
The Baptism.

What used to be variables becomes certainties (rejecting baptism) and impossibilities (accepting baptism):
A Single Booker Accepts = Paradox in every timeline.
If even a single Booker can ever accept, the paradox exists where Booker died before making the choice. The probability of a paradox is zero percent. It's an impossibility, not a probability. As a result, the probability of any Booker making this choice becomes 0%. If not every Booker was murdered, this wouldn't be a paradox, it would just be another timeline, but that's not the case. Something that occurs 0% of the time is an impossibility/improbability. It never happens. Therefore, Booker can never accept.

Every Booker Rejects = Nothing unusual.
Booker lives out his life as he normally would. This choice never leads to a paradox. Because the probability of the other variable is 0%, the probability of this variable becomes 100%. Something that occurs 100% of the time is no longer a variable, it is a constant. Booker rejecting the baptism becomes a constant.

Now, you may think, "but how can Booker always reject if every Booker is already dead!? Surely this means you're saying only those that accept are drowned?" and this is the easiest way to explain how this can happen: Think about what would happen if, before the game, every single Booker rejected. What would happen? Nothing, Booker would live out his life with Anna, because since we are imagining the events of the game didn't happen, and we're imagining rejection is a constant already, then Comstock can never exist and thus Elizabeth can never drown every Booker before the baptism. This is the situation that the end of the game forces and that's what we see in the after credits sequence, the blue line, the line that doesn't lead to the looping paradox.

In addition, every Booker killing himself is not the same thing as every Booker being drowned by Elizabeth. The former would become a constant and would contradict the after credits scene, no Booker could ever survive the baptism, and every relevant Booker goes to the baptism. If every Booker is drowned by Elizabeth, that is a paradox and a paradox cannot exist.

The second theory is, almost exactly the same as the above, but it has a slight difference. The second theory is that only the Bookers that accept the baptism are drowned. The reason this is believed by some is that Elizabeth takes you to a second pond. One thing this contradicts is the line "before the choice is made, before [he is] reborn" but otherwise ends up in the same result; the probability of Booker accepting is zero so Booker must always reject. This differs from the first theory only slightly and arrives in the same conclusion, but it does slightly contradict a line.

The third theory is that every Booker dies at the baptism and the after credits scene if from a completely different set of timelines. This has the problem that, until that point, this entire universe is irrelevant and would have existed throughout the game's events anyway.

The fourth theory is that time 'resets' upon the creation of the paradox. That is, that rather than a destruction resolution occurring, the universe 'respawns' to the last time it worked before the paradox and the events of the game repeat infinitely, and the circle is never broken, it repeats indefinitely.

As anyone brought up the possibility that there are an infinite number of universes in which Liz fails at killing Booker before the baptism and then from that there are infinite universes where Comstock lives? Then from that there are probably a bunch of other different possibilities.

As anyone brought up the possibility that there are an infinite number of universes in which Liz fails at killing Booker before the baptism and then from that there are infinite universes where Comstock lives?

Yeah, I did in my post at the top of the page. It...really distracted me when I played the ending, because that was the first thing I thought when she suggested that. She just showed me how infinite the universe truly was, and it helped me recognize that she was being very, very shortsighted two minutes later.

I kinda think it's bullshit that they gave Comstock a different voice actor. Like, I get why, but Baker seems talented enough to pull off two different performances without giving the game away.

Then he's not Comstock. I mean, he is in name, but for the purposes of what the game is talking about he's not Comstock. He's not the prophet they were looking to stop.

But that's exactly what I find heavy-handed. So we could only have had Columbia and a racist bigot tyrant figure that wanted an Heir to conquer the rest of the world if he was a religious prophet? Not an Andrew Ryan style entrepreneur that rejects God is tormented by his demons and effectively allows a similar narrative?

I don't agree with that, remember, we are talking INFINITE possibilities and timelines here. It's his actions that are important here in terms of the game narrative (the game's story is all about Elizabeth and Booker IMO, not the religious/racist backdrop), and the KEY action is the 'baddie' Booker (regardless of whether he has daubed himself Comstock, Hitler or Darth Vader!) buying an alternate realities 'goodie' Booker's daughter, and grooming her as an heir against her will.

That story arc could (and in infinite timelines would!!) happen where the Accept Booker goes on to have the girl and be the 'goodie', and the Reject Booker goes on to buy the girl and be the 'baddie'.

I just think there should have been more significance placed on the actual source of the trauma (Wounded Knee) than the 'wash away your sins' stuff.

Again, this is all just an IMO, and as ever YMMV. It's an interesting discussion regardless, and that rarely happens with game stories.

Red

Everything plot wise I loved, with the exception being the Booker-is-Comstock twist. Following the games own style of lore where only small changes occur from dimension to dimension makes it awkward and not really believable that anything would occur in Bookers life that would transform him into a raving racist obsessed with racial purity and an American Theocracy. And apparently not just in one dimension but in every dimension where he was baptized.
I thought Booker was a bigger change from past Booker than Comstock was. It's actually non-baptized Booker that becomes a new man.

Yes, the ending is a complete mind-fuck and since they brought up 'infinite' its hard to not go 'but but....what if....' about every decision.

I just try to look at it as far as constants and variables, a theme they try and drive home all game. Baptism being the constant amongst all timelines, choosing the accept or reject the baptism is the variable.

As far as we know, the ONLY that situation we know that creates Comstock is accepting the baptism. Of course, in a different universe a 'comstock' may be created based on different circumstances, but that isn't the Comstock we know. Therefore, it really doesn't matter in the scope of this game.

The ending is only about destroying the Comstock that came from accepting the Baptism. So yes, other 'men' (Ryan, Comstock, Lamb) will exist and drowning Booker will not destroy any of them.

IMO anyway....

edit : in the time it took me to come up with this....it has already been posted multiple times haha

As anyone brought up the possibility that there are an infinite number of universes in which Liz fails at killing Booker before the baptism and then from that there are infinite universes where Comstock lives? Then from that there are probably a bunch of other different possibilities.
If one Booker succeeds in making Elizabeth omnipotent and Elizabeth thus simultaneously murdering all Bookers (either before the choice to accept or reject or the name choice, it's irrelevant) and turning the variable into a constant then no universe can exist where Booker/Elizabeth fails.
Edit: Good explanation by RDreamer below.

Top Bottom