• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RoKKeR

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I just had my first really big open level fight when
you are waiting for the gondola
and I am just blown away. Flying around on the skyline, jumping from enemy ship to enemy ship, launch attacks from the sky, staying on the move, vigors, Elizabeth, tears, the whole thing, WOW!

Absolutely amazing.

GavinGT

Banned
Quick, BioShock Infinite is better than which of the following:

1. Mega Man 2
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Castlevania : SOTN
  4. Chrono Trigger
  5. Tetris
  6. Planescape : Torment
  7. Bubsy 3D
  8. Oprah gifs
  9. Makeup Sex
  10. Dinner with EatChildren
  11. Ordering 1000 Pizzas Delivered to Derrick's House

Crows are better than bees, see I choose Oprah gifs.

I'm with you. So far I'm liking this more than HL2.

I don't hold that game on the same level as some though. It had poor enemy AI, average gunplay, boring sections etc. So far the combat and AI in Infinite is solid but not spectacular as well, but the setting is so fresh and the art direction and sound design so strong that I'm in awe.

For a game that went through "development hell" it is remarkably cohesive. Early days yet though, so I might feel differently once I'm done!

i loved hl2 fom start to finish. one thing i would like to add, media blackouts work!. i preordered infinite after e3 2011,heard some bad rumors about it last year, still kept my order, didnt check a single video or preview last year, and now i am blown away.

Ithil

Actually that's a similarity to Half-Life 2 that I hadn't taken notice of til now, so far the game has not once left Booker's immediate view. So few games do it that I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed games that took place entirely from the eyes of the protagonist (something that truly separates games from movies and should be considered more).

Elizabeth also has this Pixar-style animation for her face that's not necessarily realistic, but it is fun to watch and endearing.

Guess Who

Banned
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I just had my first really big open level fight when
you are waiting for the gondola
and I am just blown away. Flying around on the skyline, jumping from enemy ship to enemy ship, launch attacks from the sky, staying on the move, vigors, Elizabeth, tears, the whole thing, WOW!

Absolutely amazing.

Stuff like this is why it blows my mind when people say the level design is dull. This is certainly no corridor shooter.

epmode

So if you pass a vending machine that's selling a vigor that you don't have yet, is there a way to get that vigor later in the game? These things sell for a hefty chunk in 1999 mode!

iMax

Spoiler question for minutes after you meet Elizabeth:

Does the music on the beach while you're roaming around with Elizabeth sound like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper to anyone else? To me, it either sounds like it or it is that song.

It is. Don't reveal this until you've finished the game:
the song's actually in the credits. Once tears were discovered, music from all realities crept through, essentially inspiring Columbia's musicians to perform the tunes you hear in the game

Amir0x

Banned
Been in and out due to being so utterly engrossed, but what do you think of it so far Ami?

I haven't posted my extended thoughts yet because even though I've been playing for hours today I have barely made any progress, I'm just fucking strolling through the world with my mouth agape lol

But so far, it's really a stunner. I am playing on 1999 Mode so it really breathes life into the strategy one could potentially utilize in combat scenarios, which makes it feel better than Bioshock in this regard. I don't think the combat is fully perfect, scenarios tend to run together and enemy A.I. is rather dumb how they charge all the time, but it's definitely in a better place than Bioshock was (and I liked Bioshock's combat enough to not really be distracted by it, albeit aware that there was vast room for improvement). To make 1999 mode better, all they really had to do was tone down the bulletsponge nature of enemies, but really it's good.

The world design and art direction is basically unparalleled. I don't think it's hyperbole to say this. Bioshock Infinite has basically created a class all by itself. There isn't a single unoriginal aspect about its presentation, it's just consistently brilliant and imaginative. I can't imagine how much crazy shit I've yet to see since I'm sure I'm less than 15% through the game and I've already seen an insane amount of variety. Every area is lovingly crafted down to the finest details, and you have to imagine if they really did get rid of "5 games worth of content" to get here, just what other mad crazy shit they dumped to get to a point that is this gorgeous and groundbreaking.

Let's see. The music! My lord, in just the first introduction area alone we are treated to like 3 or 4 different vocal tracks, one of the most amazingly evocative introduction pieces I've ever heard when you first enter into Columbia proper, and endless moody and weighty pieces that just ooze with character. I loved the soundtrack of Bioshock and people tend to forget about it, but Bioshock Infinite is a true classic so far from an audio perspective.

Besides that, things like the story and such I can't really comment on because I'm too early to get a feel for it. The only thing I'll say is I love the mythology they've created here, although so far the themes and messaging are about as subtle as ones cock dipped in acid.

GavinGT

Banned
Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have....

It's so thematically appropriate that it couldn't have been an accidental choice.

Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have....

It's so thematically appropriate that it couldn't have been an accidental choice.

Everything in this game seems so carefully deliberate that when you really think about it it's mind boggling. I don't know how you can sit down and think all this shit through, it would make my head hurt

Ithil

I liked that the first guy you talked to in Columbia was Sarevok. Great voice actor, he is, but I can only ever think of Baldur's Gate any time I hear him.

I also heard Steve Blum in some of the Columbia residents, same case of being a great actor but just too recognizable a voice to not take note of.

derExperte

Amazing so far (7hrs) and I hope there's a lot more left.
First time/dimension travel just happened.
But I really wish Elizabeth reacted more to my actions. For example I shot two guys who were chained up and she's like 'huh... look, some lockpicks'. I don't want a morality system but even a little reaction would've helped not completely breaking the immersion.

Derrick01

Banned
Welp I dunno how much more I'll be able to play as it looks like my GPU is on its last legs. I keep getting driver crashes either during or after playing this.

Ithil

Everything in this game seems so carefully deliberate that when you really think about it it's mind boggling. I don't know how you can sit down and think all this shit through, it would make my ehad hurt

2007-2013 development time, and it becomes clearer. Ken Levine is like Chris Avellone or whoever, he quite simply just spends a lot of time thinking about this shit before he releases it. No, it isn't perfect, but by golly it isn't braindead, and it's a game, I'll take it.

Amir0x

Banned
Welp I dunno how much more I'll be able to play as it looks like my GPU is on its last legs. I keep getting driver crashes either during or after playing this.

I have a HD Radeon 5870 I just pulled out of my system works like a charm still... I won't be able to send it until next Thursday, but if you want it I can do that?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ken Levine is like Chris Avellone or whoever, he quite simply just spends a lot of time thinking about this shit before he releases it.

Strange, since unless you're the creator of Tabula Rasa or Fable 3 you're supposed to suck at video game design.

Casanova

I find the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth to be similar to that of a Big Daddy and his little sister. Elizabeth is the main character, you are there there to protect and guide her in her purpose.

This game is truly magnificent. It is the best "painting" that I've ever laid my eyes on, and the most remarkable story that I've ever been told. A true piece of art.

I'd say if you were only willing to spend money and support the developers of a single game this gen, pick Bioshock Infinite.

LQX

Does this game only save once per level? Been exploring one level for about a hour and want to take break but saw no indication anything was being saved. I cant stand save systems like this.

epmode

Anyone? I don't know if I should reload a checkpoint or move on:

So if you pass a vending machine that's selling a vigor that you don't have yet, is there a way to get that vigor later in the game?

Basically, I don't know how much $50 is worth in 1999 mode and I'm not sure if I want that body possession vigor.

So I preordered the Ultimate Song Bird Edition for PC at GameStop, went to pick it up during my lunch break and surprise surprise my shit isn't there because they couldn't fill the single preorder for the one copy of the game that they should have had. The associated didn't really give a shit, then she got mad when I requested to have my $25 deposit returned and replied "well I can cancel this e-mail". I told the bitch I can send my own, hopefully those stupid surveys they're always asking you to take actually have a point.

ced

I really hate the two weapon limit and recharging shield. It works for Halo, not here.

Pretty awesome game with that said.

GavinGT

Banned
Anyone? I don't know if I should reload a checkpoint or move on:

Basically, I don't know how much $50 is worth in 1999 mode and I'm not sure if I want that body possession vigor.

You definitely want possession. How did you miss it at the beginning?

This middle section is reallllly fetch questy. Its a very good game, but I don't know about all those 9s and 10s yet. Better than the first one though, that's for sure

neoism

guys anyone that pre-ordered from amazon... will we be able to use the $30 credit on GTAV or is it not a 2K game.. also is the season pass worth it you think

GavinGT

Banned
I didn't yet. I'm just not sure if 1999 mode is more like System Shock 2 where you absolutely can't get every vigor. I'm going back to pick it up now, thanks!

I don't think 1999 mode changes that much. And I'm fairly positive that you need Possession just to continue in the game.

And I wouldn't worry about choosing which vigors to get. You pick them all up for free. It's with the vigor upgrades where you'll have to make some tough choices regarding which to buy.

george_us

This middle section is reallllly fetch questy. Its a very good game, but I don't know about all those 9s and 10s yet. Better than the first one though, that's for sure
Agreed. The first 3 hours are god tier but right now it's pretty by the numbers stuff. Hope it picks back up soon. The
waiting for the gondola
fight was amazing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'll say what I'm sure has been said before:

Elizabeth really reminds me of Audrey from Twin Peaks
twin-peaks-audrey.jpg

...and the combat kinda reminds me of Team Fortress 2.

I played it for like 3 hours or so.

I like it so far. Not blown away. I spent a shitton of time just fucking around...The only down period was actually when the gunplay started up until I the third vigor.

I have very bad awareness so I end up getting shot and not knowing where until it's too late lol. But I'm sure once things start opening up it will get better tho.

The atmosphere is going to propell me forward regardless. Shit is ace.

Another lettdown is the inability to save when you want....near the end I wanted to stop but had to wait for an autosave.

really dumb in todays world but meh.

Hopefully as it goes further I see what everyone is raving about lol. It's enjoyable tho so I'm happy with that.

I am also in serious pain and I am also very tired soooo...we will see how it is when I'm fully conscious.

Top Bottom