• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

They are completely unrelated with different worlds. They are just linked in similar gameplay and some thematic strands.

To the best of my knowledge, the two games are only related in the same way two Final Fantasy games are related; similar gameplay, different world and narrative.

By the way, can you do me a favor? At the opening logos for Bioshock 1 (2K Games, Unreal Engine, etc.), is the Digital Extremes logo included?

Digital_Extremes_Logo.jpg

Just wondering if it's the same port that was released back in 2008.

Thanks infinite first it is. I'm really digging the atmosphere and art direction.

Seriously move controls should be mandatory for all FPS.

jersoc

finished this earlier in the day. the ending scenes were fantastic.

i want to play more infinite :| i hope the dlc is excellent.

derExperte

So fuck, I've finished the game, right.

Under Load Chapter, I now see all my 'autosaves' only going back to about 10 or 12 autosaves into the game. There are apparently a limited number of autosaves.

So...basically, if I want to play again, I'm erasing my old autosaves as far as I can tell. And those are the only saves...right?

I hate this game's save system.

I can scroll down with the arrow keys and see all the saves back to the beginning.

prophecy0

I just met Elizabeth. I have a quick yes/no question for those that have beaten the game:

Do the choices you make affect the story at all? For example, the cage/bird pendant?

Just a yes or no will do. No spoilers please!

Ohwiseone

Game just clicked for me.

DAT OPENING IS FUCKING AMAZING.
I love the singing your hear once the door opens and your in-front of the stain glass window.. Something beautiful but haunting about it

Don't know how far I am but 1999 mode is becoming a lot more tolerable now and I'm starting to enjoy myself more. That said, I do think its a shame that it has to be so rough up front and I wish the difficulty was more tailored to make the first few hours of the game less frustrating.

Does this game have a "save" feature at all? A load feature?

Right now when I die I do this:
1. Pause and click "return to main menu" which will tell me when my last check point was.
2. If its not far back I'll exit out and hit "restart checkpoint" to avoid loosing money.
3. If it IS far back I'll take the revive.

Rather annoying.

Odrion

Banned
So I just got past the initial shit storm where
you choose between throwing the ball at the interracial couple or the announcer
and past my first "load a new area" prompt.

How do saves work? I kept wanting to exit to eat dinner, but it kept saying "last autosave was 12 minutes ago," and I didn't want to redo whatever progress or minigame at the carnival I'd done, so I'd keep playing. I'm playing 1999 Mode if it matters (does it matter?).

Also, not sure if it was pointed out in the thread yet, but did anyone else see this and think it was a reference to Fallout's Pip Boy? Perhaps I'm just seeing things that aren't really there.
bioshocki1.png

Keep playing, you'll understand the context of those dolls.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've tackled just about every fix I've come across in this thread and elsewhere to get the mouse controls to feel "right." And I just can't get it there. Yeah, .ini edits and third-party software make it feel a little less floaty - but man, it's still just "off."

About 20% of PC games seem to have this issue, inexplicably. And man, it REALLY just kills my enjoyment. Why can't every game have spot-on mouse controls like, say, TF2?

Anyway, Steam says I'm three hours in.... but I'd wager I'm only about two "real" hours in. Either way, really, really loving the game outside of the mouse issues. The first hour is some of the best gaming I've experienced in a while. The pacing is just spot-on. Graphics are beautiful - too bad the game is a bit stuttery; and even on my 4GB 670, I dip into the 40s on Ultra. V-Sync caps me at 30. And why is there no great AA options? This game screams for them!

So far, as a game, I'd give it a 9/10.
As a PC port? Like a 6/10.

Lets agree to disagree. After Tomb Raider skipped an introductory sequence and expected you to give a damn about the world and its secondary characters, I was refreshed to see developers emphasize their strengths in world building and really allow you to sink into the setting.
Dont get me wrong, I liked going around Columbia and listening to other people. What I didnt really care for was what felt like an eternity of shooting enemies before meeting the alleged star of the game.

Jharp

That's some pretty basic trappings you've got there. I can't say beyond some one sentence summaries that Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite's openings were similar.

Are you shitting me?

-Open on a stormy ocean with nothing but a lighthouse in sight.
-Go inside the lighthouse and immediately things are odd
-The rocket ride to Columbia is pretty much a direct homage to the bathysphere descent
-Arrive in Colombia/Rapture to several quotations that get the ideologies represented in the game right out front and center

The openings of each game are almost insultingly similar to one another. I'll grant you, once you get to the city and begin exploring it, each game veers off in different directions, but right up until then? It's practically 1:1.

is it just me or does the game get kinda scary later on near the end? I got the crap scared out of me by
that siren that is suddenly behind you

I'm 11 hours in and
I've just reached the section where the two mysterious people who keep showing up are trying to play the piano to summon the Song Bird.
Roughly, how long would you guys say is left to go?

The openings of each game are almost insultingly similar to one another. I'll grant you, once you get to the city and begin exploring it, each game veers off in different directions, but right up until then? It's practically 1:1.

I don't know, I liked the bit of familiarity in the introduction. It is a Bioshock game after all... And it's not like they put a new one out every year, which is more than I can say for a lot of franchises.

Guess Who

Banned
Are you shitting me?

-Open on a stormy ocean with nothing but a lighthouse in sight.
-Go inside the lighthouse and immediately things are odd
-The rocket ride to Columbia is pretty much a direct homage to the bathysphere descent
-Arrive in Colombia/Rapture to several quotations that get the ideologies represented in the game right out front and center

The similarity is incredibly deliberate.

Shady859

I don't know if it matters, I've not finished it yet, but
bird, I don't like the idea of a cage

I like how the choices aren't integral to the game, they're just a thing for you to decide while you play. Like (first act spoilers)
choosing whether to kill your crazy old soldier comrade or not. I spared him, then found him in the prison later seemingly lobotimzed, and killed him then as a euthanisation. It's not essential to the plot, I don't expect it to change anything, it's just something to add to the game experience, like how sparing him seemed like a kindness to me at the time, but I hadn't considered the long term consequences

Not sure if you already knew this but if you did the opposite early on
and killed him like I did.... Elizabeth makes a comment along the lines of while that harsh it's probably better than what his own people would have done to him. Interesting that she was right. ;)

About 3 hours in and loving it! Just
got kicked off the airship to go find Elizabeth again and get those rebels guns...
Loved Bioshock but couldn't get into the sequal for someone reason, glad this one hooked me back in, beautiful game.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm really digging this so far. Meant to play for an hour and ended up playing all afternoon.

The opening was incredible, I loved being able to see and take in the atmosphere of Columbia's 'everyday' state before you're antagonised later on. I was actually pleasantly surprised how long it took to get to Elizabeth, wasn't expecting that much world-building.

The only thing that bugs me, even in the fiction, is (opening scene spoilers)
that the way to Columbia is a rocket-powered barber chair. Do they only take new pilgrims one-by-one? Are there other methods of ascension in other lighthouses fit for larger groups of people? Is the rocket chair at the lighthouse reloaded or is it sent back down from the sky?

Really stupid gripes, and it served its purpose, but it struck me as sort of goofy. I guess my suspension of disbelief drew a line, as ridiculous as the bioshock universe's tech can be. :p

GAF, I never hook my PC up to my receiver/5.1 HT but if I do, will I get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound or will it be like Prologic II crap? It would be a pain to move everything but I'd do it for the sound upgrade.

I don't wanna play any other games now that I've finished it. Always a good sign, definitely left an unforgettable mark
GAF, I never hook my PC up to my receiver/5.1 HT but if I do, will I get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound or will it be like Prologic II crap? It would be a pain to move everything but I'd do it for the sound upgrade.

Do you have a soundcard?

Dylan

Dunno if it was a bug but
I chased Slate down only to find him just kind of lying there asking me to finish him off. Did something happen to him that I missed or did he just keel over for no reason?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So whats up with the Cindi Lauper music on the beach? The ambient kind of carnival music is a cover of "Girls just wanna have fun". Anyone else catch that?

Dylan

So whats up with the Cindi Lauper music on the beach? The ambient kind of carnival music is a cover of "Girls just wanna have fun". Anyone else catch that?

Haha yes!! I was actually leaving the area when I heard the chorus, and actually turned around to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

REV 09

The opening was amazing, but the game has been fairly standard after that. Still haven't made it to the girl. Kinda shocked that it has taken this long to find her. I'm taking my time though.

GavinGT

Banned
Eh.
Some people might think they're similar because of creativity bankruptcy or something, not because they're setting up something later.

I felt that way as well after the first few minutes, but the ending completely washes away any remnants of that feel.

Syrinx

Question: In the least spoilerific way you can...what exactly do you guys mean by "set pieces". We're not talking Uncharted here, right? Is it kinda like Half-Life 2, where it's like, cross the invisible line and gameplay sequence begins? (didn't word that the best way, sorry)

Dylan

If people are going to say things like "That [watermelon] makes soooo much sense after seeing the ending!" could you tag it please?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mmm. Getting that "game is dragging" BioShock feel again :/.

GavinGT

Banned
Question: In the least spoilerific way you can...what exactly do you guys mean by "set pieces". We're not talking Uncharted here, right? Is it kinda like Half-Life 2, where it's like, cross the invisible line and gameplay sequence begins? (didn't word that the best way, sorry)

There are some pretty deliberate "battle arenas" in places, if that's what you're asking. When you walk up on a place that's entirely circled in skylines and has a bunch of objects for Elizabeth to phase in, it's obvious that a fight is about to go down.

I just
Went through the second tear. (The first being the one after finding the dead Chinese guy, this one being where you find all the Vox Populi guns.)
How far am I? Feels like half way, or just shy of halfway?

Just finished it in one sitting. Absolutely fucking incredible. I'm going to need a day or so to mull over the ending though, I loved it don't get me wrong. It's just a lot to take in.

10/10

Top Bottom