• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Anyone else not like the last level?
on the airship fighting wave after bloody wave taking down ships? It was cool but a little TOO much if you ask me. 1999 mode would be impossible there

Zeliard

Wow some of the shots in the high res thread look like garbage with all that SweetFX crap added in.

Are they? I haven't looked in that thread since I don't want to be oversaturated with Infinite visuals, but it's a shame if some feel the need to add Vibrance, Sharpening, or whatever to a game that has such an exquisite and coherent image. It's frankly insulting. Only thing people should be injecting if anything is SMAA.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
on the airship fighting wave after bloody wave taking down ships? It was cool but a little TOO much if you ask me. 1999 mode would be impossible there

I absolutely hated it. I gave up and turned it off in frustration just at how stupid it was. But then all was forgiven. I just still think it's the worst part in the game.

GavinGT

Banned
So,
I'm just at the point of obtaining weopons for the Vox from Chen Lin
and I want to clarify some of the main plot/narrative points up to this point. Can you guys help me out?

> Slate: war vet who hates Comstock due to bullshiz preaching/glorification of his pivotal roles in the nation's many defining battles (basically for being a false prophet in general); sides with the Vox Populi in the fight against Comstock

> Vox Populi: basically an anti-discrimination regime headed by Daisy Fitzroy; wants Comstock gone

> Elizabeth is Comstock's daughter, but not born from Lady Comstock (or is it the other way around?); Lady Comstock holes her up in the tower because she's a bastard child

> Columbia is super racist

> Booker had a lady in his life named Anna, who died in child birth along with the child (presumably)

> Someone as yet unidentified wants Elizabeth out of Columbia and has hired Booker to carry that out; rumblings of whether said employer had alerted Columbia to the whole operation and therefore has a hidden agenda

Thanks, guys. And as always, please take note of where I am in the game and be wary of spoilers!

Those are all correct up to that point in the game.

Huge art book is on sale on Amazon now. I love it.

51fhTptbuML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one? yeah I was thinking of getting it.

That's fairly minor, though. It's fundamentally disconnected in Tomb Raider.

yea it was pretty minor but just saying...i was just testing to see what his reaction would be.

Anyway so far this is probably the best FPS since Half Life 2 IMO, I actually like it better than HL2 so far. Games like this are so rare....I hope Irrational doesn't take this long to develop their next game.

I absolutely hated it. I gave up and turned it off in frustration just at how stupid it was. But then all was forgiven. I just still think it's the worst part in the game.

Really kills the pacing for me and felt like a trope or cop out because it was a video game. It was definitely more frustrating than satisfying

beastmode

I'm maybe 4~ hours in (beginning the
Hall of Heroes
) on hard. Even though all my infusions are in salts, I've only died once.

Thinking on restarting on 1999 mode.

Some of the arenas are so fucking tough. Any tips on taking down handy men? I'm using elevation but it feels like there's nothing in particular that slows them down. Crows and then a barrage of projectiles is about the best I can muster.

Get on the Skyline and wait until you hear him yell at you to get off. At that point he'll jump up on it and send electricity through the line, you can take that time to get some shots in.

Ithil

yea it was pretty minor but just saying...i was just testing to see what his reaction would be.

Anyway so far this is probably the best FPS since Half Life 2 IMO, I actually like it better than HL2 so far. Games like this are so rare....I hope Irrational doesn't take this long to develop their next game.

I just like that there's real effort put into this. There's huge ideas and inventiveness everywhere in the design, great attention to detail and incredible artwork, just general ambition to make a genuine immersive experience. Compare it to the run of the mill military shooter shat out yearly, and you've got an FPS game that was worth the wait.

Spoiler question for minutes after you meet Elizabeth:

Does the music on the beach while you're roaming around with Elizabeth sound like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper to anyone else? To me, it either sounds like it or it is that song.

Saige

I must do better.
Close to 7 hours in right now on hard and I’m really enjoying it. I was still a bit sceptical when I pre-ordered but there are some really well-crafted combat scenarios in here, especially the more open areas with skyhooks everywhere.

The extra mobility in those arenas just allows you to change the situation so quickly.

I just like that there's real effort put into this. There's huge ideas and inventiveness everywhere in the design, great attention to detail and incredible artwork, just general ambition to make a genuine immersive experience. Compare it to the run of the mill military shooter shat out yearly, and you've got an FPS game that was worth the wait.

well said.

Brinbe

I don't know what they were thinking with that shit, absolutely terrible. Luckily, it was all gravy from there.

Terra_Ex

Yeah, I also wasn't a fan of that part.
Even after peppering the area with loads of traps the enemies come thick and fast and they hit pretty hard, and if its not me getting a pasting, that reactor thingy is. At least there were no Handymen there though.

So
Slate's character model didn't even appear when I tried to kill him.

Ahaha.
I got revived by a floating needle at one point when Elizabeth failed to teleport to the correct location.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well I was playing this successfully for a few hours earlier but now whenever I boot it up it crashes out on the 2K intro screen.

It's be far the worst thank God it was at the end and just once, anymore of that really would have ruined some of the experience.
Yeah, I also wasn't a fan of that part.
Even after peppering the area with loads of traps the enemies come thick and fast and they hit pretty hard, and if its not me getting a pasting, that reactor thingy is. At least there were no Handymen there though.
Yeah luckily, that would have been mega annoying

SmithnCo

I've been playing this all day, haven't been this engrossed in a game in a while.

Does the music on the beach while you're roaming around with Elizabeth sound like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper to anyone else? To me, it either sounds like it or it is that song.

It is.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Lights off, headphones on, 1999 Mode engaged.

So far, this is amazing.

Zeliard

This game needs one of those 'raising the bar' books cause goddamn.

I'm not really much one for game-related novels - basically ever - but I'd make an exception here for a novella or whatnot that looked at life in the clouds. Wish there was more of that in the game.

Vire

Guys... I didn't think this was possible, but they did it.

Irrational made a better game than Bioshock.

Wow wow wow. Nearing the end, just blown away overall.

Kudos to Shawn and the entire team.

Keep playing, unless you want us to spoil the game for you? In that case
Yes that is GJWHF[, and yes that song didn't come out until the 80s but this game takes place in 1912. There is a story reason for this.

Helmholtz

Yeah, I noticed something was up with it too, you're probably right about that.

BraXzy

Thinking of doing a livestream of my 1999 mode when I first start it.. But I've never done one before.. and it is laggy as hell

Anyone with some know how want to help? :L

Heysoos

Might be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone else not received their Bioshock code from the never settle bundle? Am I missing something?

Fracas

#fuckonami
So far, I have some mixed feelings.

The game mechanics feel a lot like Bioshock watered down to appeal to the mass audience. Shields, vocal protagonist, plethora of ammo, mainly fighting human enemies with guns...it just feels off.

That said, Columbia is great and the characters/dialogue are great.

Ithil

Guys... I didn't think this was possible, but they did it.

Irrational made a better game than Bioshock.

Wow wow wow. Nearing the end, just blown away overall.

Kudos to Shawn and the entire team.

It's just better realized, better focused than Bioshock.

Bioshock benefited from great art design, a great setting, and an awesome twist. Gameplay wise it was fun but a little clumsy, morality seemed (and was, according to Levine, who only had one ending planned originally) tacked on, it wasn't as polished as this is.

Really, this, so far, is far superior a game to Bioshock, and I say that having played through Bioshock just a couple of days ago. Bioshock was a good game with really good ideas, Bioshock Infinite so far (I'm only five hours or so in) is a great game AND a great experience. If that makes sense?

It's just more complete than Bioshock was. It's clearly the same studio having just gotten better at realizing their vision.

EDIT: It's a little embarrassing but I'm not as musically diverse/knowledgeably as most on the forum, so I didn't recognize
God Only Knows as being a Beach Boys song.
. Though I liked the barbershop quartet, it's good music (worth saying that this aspect of the game is absurdly good).

Syrinx

Is there anybody here who loved BioShock that isn't so hot on this game? Impressions here seem very positive, but I'm skimming as fast as possible to avoid spoilers.

Glad to see people are saying this looks great on PS3, as I'll be playing on that. But does it run all right?

Struct09

My game (PC version) keeps crashing at the sequence where you get the machine gun. Anyone else having this problem?

I fixed this. I verified the install through Steam, and it found a corrupt file. After a 12 MB download I was good to go again. Praise be to Steam!

Top Bottom