• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Im not sure if this has already been mentioned, but did/has anyone else gotten major There Will be Blood vibes from the soundtrack? The music playing when you're escaping
Songbird
specifically, but even the odd violin shrieks when you make that final execution kill with your Skyhook sounds completely similar to Greenwoods work on TWBB. The percussion work is spot on.

That actually didn't cross my mind which is surprising to me, since I adore There Will Be Blood. Even thinking about it now, I totally see where you are coming from. I can hear it in Elizabeth's theme too.

Played a lot of this yesterday as I was home sick from work. My god...I don't know how many times I said wow. Easily one of the best games I have played in years. I really don't want it to end and I will probably buy the season pass to get more of it. The art, the story, and the graphics are just awesome. Gunplay is good but nothing amazing, the way the implemented Elizabeth into this is great and I love how she reminds me of a old Disney movie character come to "life".

Truly amazing game.

DarkKyo

Starting to breathe a sigh of relief for not buying this. I rented it last night and played about two hours on hard (haven't met the girl yet) and the game is, personally, boring me to tears with the lightgun gameplay and repetitive NPCs. I intend to play another hour or so after I meet my companion and if nothing picks up, I'll move on. Dissapointing :(

Lol, don't know what to say except you're one of the only people who hold such an opinion here. Sad because games don't get better than this.

SmithnCo

Starting to breathe a sigh of relief for not buying this. I rented it last night and played about two hours on hard (haven't met the girl yet) and the game is, personally, boring me to tears with the lightgun gameplay and repetitive NPCs. I intend to play another hour or so after I meet my companion and if nothing picks up, I'll move on. Dissapointing :(

If the gameplay doesn't interest you, I think it's still worth running through on easy for the story.

Played a lot of this yesterday as I was home sick from work. My god...I don't know how many times I said wow. Easily one of the best games I have played in years. I really don't want it to end and I will probably buy the season pass to get more of it. The art, the story, and the graphics are just awesome. Gunplay is good but nothing amazing, the way the implemented Elizabeth into this is great and I love how she reminds me of a old Disney movie character come to "life".

Truly amazing game.

As a massive old-school Disney fan this excites the hell out of me!

Is the loading screen music a Scott Joplin tune? I swear I've heard it before.

Heh, I looked him up, and didn't realize he had performed at the Chicago World's Fair...

Im not sure if this has already been mentioned, but did/has anyone else gotten major There Will be Blood vibes from the soundtrack? The music playing when you're escaping
Songbird
specifically, but even the odd violin shrieks when you make that final execution kill with your Skyhook sounds completely similar to Greenwoods work on TWBB. The percussion work is spot on.

Not until reading this, no. Which is kinda embarrassing to me, because TWBB is one of my top 20 movies of all time.

DarkKyo

It really is true.

I kind of feel like I'm in a Lost version of a Disney theme park. It's really cool.

Whole game reminded me of main street at Disney World :), brought back so much nostalgia
yCg8dxA.jpg

It really is true.

I kind of feel like I'm in a Lost version of a Disney theme park. It's really cool.

The little looks she gives everything, and how she interacts with a lot of things really makes me take my time and look at everything. Really makes me feel more connected to this NPC running with me more than any other game I have played.

What games do you enjoy? Just curious. Your opinion isn't any less "correct" then mine I just disagree with you.

Sullichin

Depends what you're looking for in a game. Mechanically, there are far superior shooters on the market. That's not even subjective; sorry.

Which ones? I think it's one of the best shooters I've played in a while

edit: lol you haven't even met Elizabeth yet and thus haven't experienced many of the mechanics of the combat, you're not really in a place to make a statement like that.

This was absolutely my experience until you meet Elizabeth. Give it till then at least.

Lunar15

Not to start a debate or anything, but I think it's funny that the societies in the Bioshock games (objectionists/american exceptionalism) should be huge champions of democracy and open government, but Levine always puts them in dictatorships. Maybe that's his angle, I dunno. It's just kind of weird.

DarkKyo

This was absolutely my experience until you meet Elizabeth. Give it till then at least.

I don't think this is a good excuse. That's like 30 minutes into the game. If someone doesn't have the attention span to get to Elizabeth then they just shouldn't play games. The game is even amazing before then! That opening...

Fjordson

Whole game reminded me of main street at Disney World :), brought back so much nostalgia
Man, spot on. The city of Columbia is incredible.

I feel like a 1920'a noir detective sleuthing around a dark and twisted Disneyland in some of these levels. It's great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think this is a good excuse. That's like 30 minutes into the game. If someone doesn't have the attention span to get to Elizabeth then they just shouldn't play games. The game is even amazing before then! That opening...

Like hell it's 30 minutes. A lot of people don't rush these games, instead taking their time to slowly explore the world, listen to NPCs, and get a good feel for the mechanics. There's a pretty gigantic chunk of "game" to experience before that happens that steers well over 30 minutes.

beastmode

Recording my play and will upload the highlights on youtube when I'm done.

Some great moments so far:

-Making a room full of
Klan members bash their heads in with AOE upgraded possession.
-Accidentally killing Comstock's
surrendered soldiers with my knockback & fire damage upon landing gear pieces.

Jarnet87

I'm not a big fan of a shooters, but after watching a stream of Infinite (Dansgaming) I thought the story in this game was awesome. I would never spend full price on a game like this, but I will definitely check out Bioshock 1 and 2 now when i can get them really cheap. Story and art direction were great, everything else not so much lol.

LiK

Like hell it's 30 minutes. A lot of people don't rush these games, instead taking their time to slowly explore the world, listen to NPCs, and get a good feel for the mechanics. There's a pretty gigantic chunk of "game" to experience before that happens that steers well over 30 minutes.

Took me like 1 hour minimum before I even met Lizzie. Maybe even more cuz the areas before her were very entertaining. 30 minutes? They must've skipped everything.

spekkeh

Banned
Impressions after two hours or something of play (not met the girl yet).

Like:

• The setting, it's a wonderful world and so many of teh prettys
  • The music. Oh god the music. The moment that quartet of crooners came by on their flying ship I wanted to stay in this wonderland forever, don't care if it has a dark side or anything. And after that it just keeps on giving.
  • I like the way (so far at least) that religion is handled. Sure it's a crazy ass sect, but the wording they use is surprisingly believable.
  • Gunfighting is okay I guess.
  • My major pet peeve with Bioshock 1 was that it devolved into a lame corridor shooter instantly, at least this time around they let you buy into the world before you need to do anything. Makes your actions a bit more meaningful.

Dislike:
  • But it goes to crap the moment the world becomes hostile. From one moment to the next every citizen disappeared and you get waves and waves of baddies swarming you.
  • I hate the gameyness of it all. I've already eaten 600 pies, drunk 200 beers, robbed people in plain sight of everything they own and still going strong.
  • The fov. My initial thought was 'is this a joke?'. After the initial queasyness of cybersickness wore off I'm okay with it now, but it compounds another problem.
  • The game is terribly signposted. It's frequently unclear where you have to go to. Doors that were static scenery suddenly open when you walk towards them without prompt, etc. I forgot what the hint button was and kept running in circles on more than one occassion.
  • The NPCs are useless simpletons. They have one line of text and then proceed to gawk at you moronically. The grating part of this is that the game creates some kind of mystery to the place that slowly becomes apparent, but I could just ask any civilian, but nope.
  • I'm here to save a single girl and so far I already massacred 600 others. Is this logical? Nope. Any suspense of disbelief your world creators were working so hard on is long out the window.
  • So many bugs with the triggers. People start a conversation with you when you're in another room doing something else. The police yells 'he went inside', when I just fell to my death off a ledge, trying to figure out where to go next, and many more of these instances in only two hours of game time.
  • Whoever thought it was a good idea to not subtitle the audio logs thus making half of the game incomprehensible to the weak of hearing, but did subtitle the videos with text on them is a major bellend that deserves some minor leg injury from tripping over. (my hearing is fine btw, I just hate having to turn up the volume every time I see a audiovox)
So far it's a solid 8. The plottwist needs to be really good to deserve the gushing from professional critics.

Sullichin

Took me like 1 hour minimum before I even met Lizzie. Maybe even more cuz the areas before her were very entertaining. 30 minutes? They must've skipped everything.

Yeah I would say it took me about 2 hours.

I asked above but didn't get an answer, I just got Undertow about 10 hours in, how far into the game am I? I'm taking things nice and slow.
Also wasn't I supposed to get extra lockpicks or something for preordering on Steam. I don't see any of these bonuses

Impressions after two hours or something of play (not met the girl yet).

Like:

• The setting, it's a wonderful world and so many of teh prettys
  • The music. Oh god the music. The moment that quartet of crooners came by on their flying ship I wanted to stay in this wonderland forever, don't care if it has a dark side or anything. And after that it just keeps on giving.
  • I like the way (so far at least) that religion is handled. Sure it's a crazy ass sect, but the wording they use is surprisingly believable.
  • Gunfighting is okay I guess.
  • My major pet peeve with Bioshock 1 was that it devolved into a lame corridor shooter instantly, at least this time around they let you buy into the world before you need to do anything. Makes your actions a bit more meaningful.

Dislike:
  • But it goes to crap the moment the world becomes hostile. From one moment to the next every citizen disappeared and you get waves and waves of baddies swarming you.
  • I hate the gameyness of it all. I've already eaten 600 pies, drunk 200 beers, robbed people in plain sight of everything they own and still going strong.
  • The fov. My initial thought was 'is this a joke?'. After the initial queasyness of cybersickness wore off I'm okay with it now, but it compounds another problem.
  • The game is terribly signposted. It's frequently unclear where you have to go to. Doors that were static scenery suddenly open when you walk towards them without prompt, etc. I forgot what the hint button was and kept running in circles on more than one occassion.
  • The NPCs are useless simpletons. They have one line of text and then proceed to gawk at you moronically. The grating part of this is that the game creates some kind of mystery to the place that slowly becomes apparent, but I could just ask any civilian, but nope.
  • I'm here to save a single girl and so far I already massacred 600 others. Is this logical? Nope. Any suspense of disbelief your world creators were working so hard on is long out the window.
  • Whoever thought it was a good idea to not subtitle the audio logs thus making half of the game incomprehensible to the weak of hearing, but did subtitle the videos with text on them is a major bellend that deserves some minor leg injury from tripping over. (my hearing is fine btw, I just hate having to turn up the volume every time I see a audiovox)
So far it's a solid 8. The plottwist needs to be really good to deserve the gushing from professional critics.
My thoughts on what I bolded, in order-
- I like the looting but I can see why other people don't. To me it's usually a satisfying mechanic in games even if it doesn't amount to much. A bit later on, some looting is considered stealing, and enemies will attack you, but it seems totally random where these places are implemented.
- You can increase the FOV in the options and increase it even more if you have the PC version. It is pretty narrow by default.
- More meaningful interaction with NPCs would have been nice, agreed.
- I don't think it has the dissonance of, say, an Uncharted game where you're shot in the leg in a cutscene and it's suddenly a huge deal and the other deaths don't matter. It's handled better here. At the start you're also hired to kill Elizabeth, not doing it out of the kindness of your heart, and most of the enemies are crazy brainwashed people trying to kill you. But I see your point. Having the 'main bad dude' of an area scream "have at em boys!!" while waves of goons pour after you isn't the most unique thing in the world.
- I agree, the audio logs really need subtitles! Odd omission.

beastmode

Around 3 hrs here. But I also took 20+ hrs to complete Dishonored so I guess I'm a slow player.

Guess Who

Banned
[*]I hate the gameyness of it all. I've already eaten 600 pies, drunk 200 beers, robbed people in plain sight of everything they own and still going strong.

It depresses me that we live in a world where it is now a bad thing for a video game to be a video game.

beastmode

It depresses me that we live in a world where it is now a bad thing for a video game to be a video game.
Not what's meant at all. 'Gameyness' is a negative in the sense of including tropes that distract from the experience in this specific case, not a principled objection.

Nugg

[*]Whoever thought it was a good idea to not subtitle the audio logs thus making half of the game incomprehensible to the weak of hearing, but did subtitle the videos with text on them is a major bellend that deserves some minor leg injury from tripping over. (my hearing is fine btw, I just hate having to turn up the volume every time I see a audiovox)
[/LIST]
This is my biggest complaint. There are some pretty important story information in the audio logs, and I hate when I miss a bit because some asshole decides to shoot at me, Elizabeth yells "hey I found some cash" over it or because my english is not perfect.

moeppel

in emporia I found the code book, but I can't find the cipher to it? went completely around, but nowhere to be found...

do I need to go to comstocks house first?

Myaora

Neo Member
OH MAN!

Just listening to the Bioshock Infinite Soundtrack, suddenly I get to the track titled "Lutece" and I hear the background music that only plays when the "Gentleman" and the "Woman" appear...

Did I just accidentily spoil myself as to
Identity of Lutece
? :(

BFIB

Playing this game reminds me of why I love video games.

Maybe its just because I'm getting older, but I've found my tastes in gaming are few and far between. 3 games really stand out for me this gen: Bioshock, Portal (1&2), and now Bioshock Infinite. It lights up that inner gamer in me. My journey with this game is almost over, and I really don't want it to end.

I just want to say thanks to whoever works for Irrational that posts here. Be proud of yourselves, this is one game I'll cherish forever.

Nugg

in emporia I found the code book, but I can't find the cipher to it? went completely around, but nowhere to be found...

do I need to go to comstocks house first?

yes, and then after a while you'll be sent to the bank. It's somewhere in the bank, but you can't access it before going to Comstock House first

OH MAN!

Just listening to the Bioshock Infinite Soundtrack, suddenly I get to the track titled "Lutece" and I hear the background music that only plays when the "Gentleman" and the "Woman" appear...

Did I just accidentily spoil myself as to
Identity of Lutece
? :(

Well, if we don't answer that, then you're not really spoiled, are you? :p

Guess Who

Banned
Not what's meant at all. 'Gameyness' is a negative in the sense of including tropes that distract from the experience in this specific case, not a principled objection.

I get what he's upset with. I just don't get why people let this kind of stuff detract from the experience. There's a certain level of suspension of disbelief required for video games - there's some level of story/gameplay dissonance in basically everything with more than a basic story and/or basic mechanics, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's part of the medium.

conman

I agree with some folks that the fact that this game is ultimately "just" a shooter or "just" a game seems like a letdown. And the Big Ideas that it tackles are handled so smartly that it seems cheap to respond to them all by just shooting dudes. But I think that's also a testament to how strong it is in so many other ways--especially the richness of the environments.

I'm eight hours in, but since I've been so thorough in my explorations of the environments, I'm probably nowhere near halfway through the game. Loving the experience. In a paradoxical way, I'm only let down by parts of the game because it's so good.

StuBurns

Banned
Shouldn't it be extremely cold in Columbia? If the city is above the clouds, those are temperatures well in the negative range of the thermometer.
Now you come to mention it, the whole premise is kind of ludicrous...

But seriously, I wonder what's technologically more complex, Rapture, or Columbia. In their world, Columbia came first, but I think we'd be more likely to have an oceanbed city.

beastmode

- I don't think it has the dissonance of, say, an Uncharted game where you're shot in the leg in a cutscene and it's suddenly a huge deal and the other deaths don't matter. It's handled better here. At the start you're also hired to kill Elizabeth, not doing it out of the kindness of your heart, and most of the enemies are crazy brainwashed people trying to kill you. But I see your point. Having the 'main bad dude' of an area scream "have at em boys!!" while waves of goons pour after you isn't the most unique thing in the world.
Actually something totally like this does happen.

ced

I finally had an encounter in Finkerton where I ran out of ammo, had to sprint and duck my way to health etc, it was a damn close call.

Top Bottom