• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

good news, the guns feel different enough that we actually have preferences. +1 for the weapon variety.

Yeah, I posted way earlier in the thread saying how early on in the game they were handing out a bunch of rocket launchers, and I thought it was the game's way of saying "HEY, USE THIS, DUMBASS!" but really, the weapons aren't all that situational. There were only a few instances where I found myself switching up weapons situationally.

I missed the more atmospheric style they showed in that first demo of the game. The bell falling from the tower, the horse dragging along the cart with no wheels, the "a toast" bit when he escaped into the bar. None of that happened in this game. There were bits and piece in that vein, but not integrated as well. Everything and the way it happened was more 'gamey'. I'm desperately trying to not use the word cinematic, but it was ultimately less so.

This is the one I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANw9DJu6h8

Stark

Banned
I missed the more atmospheric style they showed in that first demo of the game. The bell falling from the tower, the horse dragging along the cart with no wheels, the "a toast" bit when he escaped into the bar. None of that happened in this game. There were bits and piece in that vein, but not integrated as well. Everything and the way it happened was more 'gamey'. I'm desperately trying to not use the word cinematic, but it was ultimately less so.

I might be crazy, but to me it (the actual game) felt far more real because it wasn't so cinematic-y.

Anson225

i like using machine gun + hand cannon
machine gun fully upgraded is very strong and fairly accurate, the best thing is it can deal a lot of damage before reloading!

Oh my god. This game is SO GOOD. I'm currently at
Beggar's Wharf after getting kicked off the ship by The Vox.
How far am I? I've been playing for about 4-5 hours now...I love this game. GODDAMN I LOVE THIS GAME

Zeliard

I appreciate that the guns are accurate even without the ADS. Getting long-range headshots with the Pistol from the hip is a joy.

Dartastic

Okay. So I just got into (middleish game spoilers, I think?)
Fink Manufacturing after the world tear
and I just got into a HUGE skyline fight out of nowhere. THIS IS WHAT I WANT FROM THE COMBAT. THAT WAS AWESOME.

and I just got into a HUGE skyline fight out of nowhere. THIS IS WHAT I WANT FROM THE COMBAT. THAT WAS AWESOME.

I found the skyline combat kinda clunky and awkward, to be honest. That might just come from having played on console.

LiK

Plenty more my friend.

Wunder

Carbine and anything else that had a lot of ammo at times. Found the carbine to be perfect for headshots

Love the carbine as well! I grew up on twitchy shooters and while the carbine has ADS, it still feels like the kind of gun where you can snap to the heads of dudes and just pick them off one by one, very satisfying. I've been swapping between shotgun and RPG for my secondary, kinda hate it when I lose my Carbine or have no ammo, but I get it back eventually!

Dartastic

I found the skyline combat kinda clunky and awkward, to be honest. That might just come from having played on console.
I'm on console. I'm sure it would be better on a mouse but whatever. Up your sensitivity and use your throttle accordingly.
Plenty more my friend.
YAYYYYYYYYY I'M SO HAPPY. I feel like combat has been building up to this and it's just taken too long but whatever. Game is great.

Zeliard

The key is using throttle and reverse often I think.

Yep. Constantly be reversing and throttling to keep momentum and keep the enemies off-balance, jump from rail to rail when you can, get back on the ground for leaping attacks and to set traps and lure then get back on the rail, etc.

Basically stay on the move, because as long as you're moving, you're the one controlling the situation.

vazel

Banned

I think the final game had plenty atmosphere setting sequences. It had to have considering all the praise it's getting for its narrative.

I'm glad the civilians in the final game didn't act so manic and crazy like in that video.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The addition of the skylines isn't helping :(

I am up to Finktown, or something. I am trying to find a gunsmith. How far in am I, about?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fought my first Handyman on hard...depleted all my damn ammo, but I managed to not die. I also realized how incredibly far booker can jump while on a hook.

To be fair, all game promos do this. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of elements in Far Cry 3's promos that never showed up in the final product.

You know they've done a good job building the world when you start using the "walk in this direction, dumbass" arrow as a tool to know which direction to specifically avoid so you can be sure to explore every nook and cranny before moving on.

Yep, I used that exclusively to tell me which way not to go. Glad other people caught on to that too. Helped me to find quite a few goodies just laying around. Especially lock picks (which seemed to just rain from the skies as I got closer to the end.)

BioShock Infinite, quick and dirty thoughts.

You and I have similar tastes in regards to FPS. I know you are a fan of Dishonored as I am as well. I felt there are similar comparisons to be made to that game, that whether people would like to associate or not there are. How do you think this fares in comparison or relation to Dishonored? I'll post my opinions after I hear yours.

On a side note. Still on 1999 mode, and haven't really felt the sting too much yet. It's not hard, it's just that you must play intelligently, and yes I've said it before, but playing this for a second time on 1999 mode is extremely fun, slightly harder than Hard, but enough of a challenge that doesn't feel too cheap. If 1999 mode was the one mode you started on there is a certain character/boss that feels like a cheap fight until you know the most efficient way to overcome them. That aside, 1999 mode is a good challenge that anyone up to the task would have a good time doing.

If those feel I'm bullshiting. Which I'll admit I've died a few times so far, you are welcome to follow and ask questions in my Stream, which I'm still playing right now. This is a second playthrough, and I have a pretty strong grasp on the story. I may or may not make comments on it whilst playing, so if you haven't beat the game at least once. Do not join the stream, if you have, we should talk about it. I'm about 5 hours in. Ish.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
About how much do I have left? I think I'm nearing the end but not sure. I just
Viewed the three tears
. On that note, fuck the
Ghost Boss fight(s)
. That felt really awkwardly/poorly designed, and is pretty much my only sour note on an otherwise amazing game so far.

antitrop

About how much do I have left? I think I'm nearing the end but not sure. I just
Viewed the three tears
. On that note, fuck the
Ghost Boss fight(s)
. That felt really awkwardly/poorly designed, and is pretty much my only sour note on an otherwise amazing game so far.

You are within reach of the ending. An hour and a half, maybe.

Cystm

Going through my screenshots after beating the game. This one here had to be posted:

iOyoCPbH9GaLj.jpg

Yum.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You and I have similar tastes in regards to FPS. I know you are a fan of Dishonored as I am as well. I felt there are similar comparisons to be made to that game, that whether people would like to associate or not there are. How do you think this fares in comparison or relation to Dishonored? I'll post my opinions after I hear yours.

Um, I think they have enough big differences in design to simply pick a preference of play. Dishonored's encounter and level design puts a much larger focus on AI temperament, where more flexibility is given to messing with the AI fluctuations within the constructs of a level, at the expense of really tight, complex raw combat. Infinite on the other hand is a lot more of a traditional FPS in design, with little effort put into AI temperament and more on the scope of encounters themselves. Using powers and skills in Dishonored is about how you want the AI to respond. Using powers and skills in Infinite is how you will conquer an encounter.

I think they both have pros and cons. I probably prefer Dishonored in the long run as the difference in game style was more appealing to me. Infinite was almost there. With a bit more effort put into the damage feedback (you and enemies), maybe faster movement, and more rounded run-and-gun play the mechanics would probably be on par with what I enjoyed from Dishonored.

More than anything I think Infinite has a tremendous amount in common with Half-Life 2.

More than anything I think Infinite has a tremendous amount in common with Half-Life 2.

(spoilers below)

At the very least, I believe
"Bioshock Infinite is amazing but fuck Ghost Mom" will be the "Half-Life 2 is fantastic but screw the vehicle missions" of this age.

Also jesus christ, Half Life 2 came out close to ten years ago. As much as I like Infinite, not much has changed.

Stoze

Finally picked this up from Redbox today, just finished playing a couple hours of it. First of all, I'm very glad I didn't spoil anything for myself. From the first 5 minutes of the game they make it clear to you that the plot isn't going to merely be grabbing Elizabeth, shooting some shit, and going home. I really didn't think the plot mystique would start so early. Hell, I already had a couple theories running around in my head before the combat even started. I'm very interested in what happens next.

Even though I'm not far in, I'm constantly questioning what difficulty I want to play on. I'm currently on hard, and I mentally groaned when I realized that I'm doing the ol' 'sit in cover and recharge shields every 10 seconds' like every other fps. Also I missed the stupid possession throw a couple times, and that's a pretty big waste of salt. At the same time though, I feel like having it on hard is making exploring around more satisfying, since food is actually giving me health and salts as opposed to it doing nothing when I have full bars. Not sure if I want to drop it down to medium.

DatDude

Banned
Finally picked this up from Redbox today, just finished playing a couple hours of it. First of all, I'm very glad I didn't spoil anything for myself. From the first 5 minutes of the game they make it clear to you that the plot isn't going to merely be grabbing Elizabeth, shooting some shit, and going home. I really didn't think the plot mystique would start so early. Hell, I already had a couple theories running around in my head before the combat even started. I'm very interested in what happens next.

Even though I'm not far in, I'm constantly questioning what difficulty I want to play on. I'm currently on hard, and I mentally groaned when I realized that I'm doing the ol' 'sit in cover and recharge shields every 10 seconds' like every other fps. Also I missed the stupid possession throw a couple times, and that's a pretty big waste of salt. At the same time though, I feel like having it on hard is making exploring around more satisfying, since food is actually giving me health and salts as opposed to it doing nothing when I have full bars. Not sure if I want to drop it down to medium.

Drop it down to medium. It will be MUCCCHHH more enjoyable for you in the long run I think.

Riposte

I really didn't have that much of a problem with the
ghost
, but that may have came down to randomized gear and having the right guns on me.

SmokinDan

Take your time 15-20 hours.

Rush it 7-10 hours.

I really didn't feel like I rushed through and it was only 7 hours for me. Did only play on Normal and really didn't have to replay any encounters much.

Explored a fair amount and got more than 3/4 of the voxophones.

Just beat it.

Holy fucking shit.

I...I...I don't know what to say. Other than I need to play it again, right now.

10/10. 11/10. 2000/10. One billion/10. I'm not ready to say it's Game of the Generation, but it's going to be one of the contenders.

Top Bottom