• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Riposte

I really didn't care that entire area on my second playthrough. Lot on contrived running about, and it's relationship to Elizabeth didn't connect with me much, because I find her so conceptually silly.

The whole game feels like it wants you to stay in places for as long as possible so their effort didn't go to waste. Like every time you reach a new area on a quest to fix something or another you will certainly have to run through it again with new battles. But that was nothing, of course, compared to the loot hunting. I actually can't see myself playing the game again because of that... which is a shame because I want to give 1999 a shot.

EDIT: Also if guys keep complaining how much of a difficulty spike this certain boss was (or the last major battle), it'll go to my ego.

SoulUnison

Banned
So how the Hell do you guys deal with motorized Patriots in 1999 Mode?

They move about three times as fast as you'd expect they'd be able to, guns do basically chip damage, they're immune to several Vigors, and even when I try to use what I'd think was the strategy they were *designed* for I get my face beaten in.

Shock Jockey stuns them for *maybe* two and a half seconds, and they're constantly pivoting to face you and hide their rear gears, even if you're not the target they seem to be currently most interested in.

Accidently get too close, like, when you're trying to sidestep around to their nearly impossible to catch weak spot, and they hit you with a lightning-fast melee attack that has ridiculous range, and knocks out my shield and half my health in one hit.

And even when you do manage to get a shot at their weak gears for a split second, it doesn't even feel like it does that much more damage than just Alpha Striking the thing head on.

And despite the fact that they've got a crank-operated gatling gun in 1912, they seem to have absolute laser-like accuracy when even just a part of your arm or something is poking out from behind cover.

I don't even want to know what it's going to be like to fight a 1999 Handyman.

I just hate this combination of Super Fast, Super Aggressive and Super Durable.

It Is bad enough worrying about spoilers from the the internets or other media but my 5 year old is almost finished with the game and won't stop talking about it.

Dude I'm 24 years old and when you get into your first combat situation and get given the Sky Hook and taught how to execute people, I was like: "Damn! That is a hell of a lot more violent than I was expecting from a Bioshock game." I mean, you're snapping necks and decapitating people left and right. Shock Jockey makes people heads explode. Suicide Possess a guy with a shotgun and he'll make some extremely meaty gibs of his own head.

I couldn't imagine playing this game in Preschool. I couldn't imagine being *allowed* to.

Guevara

The game gets super hectic as I approach the end
(Just outside Comstock House)
. I'm reminded of more 'traditional' shooters like Borderlands and Killzone:

Borderlands because
of the way the Vox look in their crazy homemade outfits/facepaint with janky weapons. And they way they taunt you, especially when there's only one left and you can't locate him. A couple run at you with melee weapons while others have heavy rifles/rocket launches. It just feels a lot like Borderlands to me.

Killzone because
of all the dropships (which look exactly like some other game, I think Killzone but possibly something else), red banners flying everywhere, general stormy appearance, and the way-too-good snipers.

Not bad things, it' just funny how FPS-y the game has gotten.

Maxxan

It Is bad enough worrying about spoilers from the the internets or other media but my 5 year old is almost finished with the game and won't stop talking about it.

lol, I seriously hope you mean 15-year-old :p

"mom/dad, I've seen some truly horrifying stuff!" - "quiet! Teh spoilerz!"

The whole game feels like it wants you to stay in places for as long as possible so their effort didn't go to waste. Like every time you reach a new area on a quest to fix something or another you will certainly have to run through it again with new battles. But that was nothing, of course, compared to the loot hunting. I actually can't see myself playing the game again because of that... which is a shame because I want to give 1999 a shot.

EDIT: Also if guys keep complaining how much of a difficulty spike this certain boss was (or the last major battle), it'll go to my ego.

Gotta get as much use of those assets as possible! Pretty much every time you enter or exit a place in that Finktown hub, another small army pops up for another fight. I enjoy the fights though, so I'm two minds about it.

I replayed the game yesterday, and yes, the loot hunting drags my enthusiasm for the game down quite a bit. Great game, but my goodness is the looting fuckin' boring. Don't like randomized gear, either.

megalowho

I really didn't care that entire area on my second playthrough. Lot on contrived running about for tears, and it's relationship to Elizabeth didn't connect with me much, because I find her so conceptually silly.
Yeah, I don't think they did that character justice in game after thinking on how it fits in. There's potential there,
but it's hard to make a dead character compelling to the point where you really care about her struggle. Audio logs and propaganda pieces didn't feel like enough.
I appreciated an excuse to run around the area it takes place in, but the fights themselves were low points for sure.

abundant

I love using the upgraded Undertow + A Shotgun. I pull in two or three enemies at once, then blow their heads off with just one shell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The first thing I did after I beat it last night was purchase the season pass. Then, after thinking about the game for a bit, I started up a new game and played for another two hours. I have my complaints, but it really is just such an entertaining game to play.

OH MAN!

Just listening to the Bioshock Infinite Soundtrack, suddenly I get to the track titled "Lutece" and I hear the background music that only plays when the "Gentleman" and the "Woman" appear...

Did I just accidentily spoil myself as to
Identity of Lutece
? :(

If you're observant, you will make that connection within the first hour or so.

FartOfWar

Banned
Finally got to the point where I get this joke. Women's intuition solves everything!

I played for about an hour like I said. I'd say I'm 6+ hours in. Finished up my time in
Battleship Bay
. While walking down the hallways, it finally hit home to me how much I love this world and how much I don't want this game to end. Forgot to mention last night that I went through the entire beach area, only to reload it for whatever reason and go through it all over again. Discovered some stuff I missed the first time. That was awesome!

For the rest of the time, and something I didn't expect to spend most of my time doing, was
exploring the boardwalk of Soldier's Field. Stopped when we went to go activate the gondola only to find out we have to go get Shock Jockey in the Hall of Heroes. I think I passed by that in my exploration of the boardwalk.

Got a story question:
At this point, does Elizabeth think the people who hired Booker hired him to bring her to Paris so they could meet her? What does Elizabeth think about why Booker came to rescue her?

Got a few quibbles:
1. In the area I'm in, Booker asks Elizabeth to call him Booker and not "Mr. Dewitt." In my exploration of
Soldier's Field
, she goes back to calling him "Mr. Dewitt." Kind of jarring.
2. Hitmarkers. Now, one doesn't negate the other, but there is a trend I've noticed in games that rely on hitmarkers and those that don't. Hitmarkers tell the player if her bullets are hitting their targets, and this often comes at the expense of strong visual and audio feedback surrounding the enemy. It's the same case in BioShock: Infinite. I'm still fighting primarily regular people at this point, but I'd rather they give more groans and spray more blood, become dirtier with blood the closer they are to dying, than rely on hitmarkers to tell me I'm hitting my target. It's also more fun that way.

One other thing: I find the criticism of "Columbia is an amazing world but I've murdered 600 people so it takes me out of the experience and kills my suspension of disbelief" to be a very silly criticism. Learn to separate the game-world from the story-world. It's not that hard.
You can toggle the health bars and combat text off in options if you prefer. Might be worth trying.

Dipswitch

So I started messing around with that Industrial Revolution game today. I got through about 5 puzzles, got distracted and then my pc went to sleep. When I came back, I'm now unable to access the site again - the second I enter my credentials it just returns me to the login screen with no error.

Anyone else have this happen?

That's awesome. What does he think about it? I have no idea at what age kids can take on certain things, does he understand it on any political/race/religion level?

Oh yes. That level is the low point, not just because of that, but the whole back and forth fetch quest bit too.

I think he sees it as more about rescuing the girl. But then again I refuse to talk to him about it because HE WANTS to spoil it.

Derrick01

Banned
This game is getting more and more ridiculous. Like I know we're talking about a game with a flying city but it's really testing my ability to ignore craziness now.

Anyone manage to get all the voxophones blind? I tried and still ended up missing around 20.

Way too many.

I'm still going but I have 19 left so far.

Danj

Is this the right thread to ask for help with the game? There are no FAQs on GameFAQs yet so I need to ask somewhere. I'm on Comstock's Flagship
trying to fight off a shitload of zeppelins and patriots and rocket dudes and whatnot
but I keep getting gameovers, is there a particular strategy to this section? Like, a particular type of enemy or
zeppelin/gunship/whatever
to concentrate on?

Is this the right thread to ask for help with the game? There are no FAQs on GameFAQs yet so I need to ask somewhere. I'm on Comstock's Flagship
trying to fight off a shitload of zeppelins and patriots and rocket dudes and whatnot
but I keep getting gameovers, is there a particular strategy to this section? Like, a particular type of enemy or
to concentrate on?

I had the best results
sniping down from on high and telling Songbird to fight the zeppelins ASAP.

Neiteio

I'm at Finkton's, in a place where I can go into
Chen-Lin's gunshop
or
Shanty Town
. If I go through one, I can still go through the other afterward, right? Both ask me if I want to leave the area. This isn't like a crossroads or something, is it? Should I do one first, and then the other?

DSmalls84

to concentrate on?

Use songbird to crash the zeppelins. I believe the sequence ends when there are no more zeppelins. Use RPGs to keep the patriots at bay and Posession also works on them as well.

LiK

Chen-Lin's gunshop
or
Shanty Town
. If I go through one, I can still go through the other afterward, right? Both ask me if I want to leave the area. This isn't like a crossroads or something, is it? Should I do one first, and then the other?

i forget but always do side stuff first when Elizabeth mentions something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. SCREAMING at my computer probably for the final 30 minutes. unbelievable!!!!~!~!~!~ GJWERPGJ#OJ@#!OPJ

Guevara

Chen-Lin's gunshop
or
Shanty Town

You don't actually have a choice.
Shanty Town
is blocked off. This happens a lot in the game.

Neiteio

i forget but always do side stuff first when Elizabeth mentions something.
Hmm, guess I'll go to
Shanty Town
first then, because she did mention the
gun shop.

Usually I hit the N key to see where the arrow goes, and then I go everywhere else first. Can't remember if I did that here...

to concentrate on?

You can shoot down the smaller barges yourself. Concentrate Songbird either on killing the zeppelins or attacking the ground in front of you to wipe away the enemies. The quicker you do the former, the quicker the battle ends, and the recharge time on the latter is small enough that it works for giving you a breather if you're overwhelmed.

Neiteio

You don't actually have a choice.
Shanty Town
is blocked off. This happens a lot in the game.
Oh, really? It asked me if I wanted to enter the place and leave the area. I take it if I did go inside
Shanty Town
, I'd find I can't proceed any further inside, right? So I'd just end up leaving and going back to the
gun shop

Ohwiseone

Mother fucking
jump scare with the damn light speaker dude after the security gate

It's 11:30 in the damn morning and I still jumped and threw my controller.

Wunder

I want to play this game foreverrrrr. I'm not sure where I am... I think I just
spared Slate
about 4+ hours played, how much more do I have? I really don't want to speed through all of it ;_;

FartOfWar

Banned
Use songbird to crash the zeppelins. I believe the sequence ends when there are no more zeppelins. Use RPGs to keep the patriots at bay and Posession also works on them as well.

I board the zeppelins, and right before entering call songbird down to clear the main deck. Rush in wreck the zeppelin and dive back out to mop up stragglers.

I want to play this game foreverrrrr. I'm not sure where I am... I think I just
spared Slate
about 4+ hours played, how much more do I have? I really don't want to speed through all of it ;_;

Maybe I just forgot, but I don't think I've gotten there yet. Which means I think you're speeding through, as I'm 6+ hours into the game.

Andrew.

Banned
So somehow I managed to score the trophy "Infused With Greatness" (collecting every Infusion within one game). However, it popped up in Emporia while I'm doing my Easy recap run. I'm guessing the 5 Infusions rewarded with the Season Pass helped with this, otherwise you need at least 24 Infusions to get the trophy.

Lost Weekend next and I found the perfect spot for it.

After that all it's gonna take is a run through 1999.

So somehow I managed to score the trophy "Infused With Greatness" (collecting every Infusion within one game). However, it popped up in Emporia while I'm doing my Easy recap run. I'm guessing the 5 Infusions rewarded with the Season pass helped with this, otherwise you need at least 24 Infusions to get the trophy.

Hey Andrew you beat it yet?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I board the zeppelins, and right before entering call songbird down to clear the main deck. Rush in wreck the zeppelin and dive back out to mop up stragglers.

I had no idea you could board the zeppelins in that battle.
Seems like a much better strategy!

Top Bottom