• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

malfcn

How many chapters is Infinite? I feel like I have been playing all day long and have around 30 chapters done right now.

Have had only 2 glitches so far. One where Elizabeth would run around a lock without picking it. The other was an enemy was nowhere but had to be killed to progress. A reload fixed that.

conman

Finally powered through the last few hours.

What a nonsense ending. It literally makes no sense. It's this kind of crap that gives science fiction a bad name among the uninitiated. I'm sure it will spark endless discussions, but I'm no fan of M. Night Shyamalan, and I'm definitely not a fan of where this game goes. I guess this kind of indulgence is what comes of too much success. What a mess of a story.

SmithnCo

How many chapters is Infinite? I feel like I have been playing all day long and have around 30 chapters done right now.

Have had only 2 glitches so far. One where Elizabeth would run around a lock without picking it. The other was an enemy was nowhere but had to be killed to progress. A reload fixed that.

40 chapters.

What a nonsense ending. It literally makes no sense. It's this kind of crap that gives science fiction a bad name among the uninitiated. I'm sure it will spark endless discussions, but I'm no fan of M. Night Shyamalan, and I'm definitely not a fan of where this game goes. I guess this kind of indulgence is what comes of too much success.

You could head to the spoiler thread if you have any questions.

conman

You could head to the spoiler thread if you have any questions.
I would if I cared to, but I'm totally pissed that I just spent 20 hours playing through this for that. I'll just get pissed all over again. I doubt anyone can explain this game's story in a way that will satisfy me.

What a nonsense ending. It literally makes no sense. It's this kind of crap that gives science fiction a bad name among the uninitiated. I'm sure it will spark endless discussions, but I'm no fan of M. Night Shyamalan, and I'm definitely not a fan of where this game goes. I guess this kind of indulgence is what comes of too much success. What a mess of a story.
It does, it was well told.

clav

What part of the game specifically is this played at? I know I remember hearing it but can't place it.
When you're walking around in the new area after Daisy kicks you off the airship

Denial is the first step.

It'll make all sense once you process it.

Eh the story is actually put together really well. If you have questions I would jump over to the spoiler thread.

I just cruised through the spoiler thread to be sure, and yup, it makes no sense. Anyhow, enjoyed the settings and visuals. Combat was cool. Art design was genius. But that story was crap.

How does it not make sense?

I just cruised through the spoiler thread to be sure, and yup, it makes no sense. Anyhow, enjoyed the settings and visuals. Combat was fun. Art design was genius. But that story was totally self-indulgent crap.

I just have to disagree with you. Loved it, even though it wasn't perfect.

But yeah, opinions opinions.

Pein

Banned
It took some lurking in the spoiler thread for me to understand the end. Anyway top 3 game this gen, only uncharted 2 and red dead were as good for me.

Kaizer

Banned
Goddamn, I just finished it....wow. Game was fantastic, I sorta picked up on the ending, but only because I played
999/VLR
last year. I'm off to the spoiler thread now!

harSon

Banned
I literally turned the game off when prompted to fight
Lady Promstock
a third time. I just want the stupid encounters to stop already and to experience the damn story. I'm seriously close to just reading up on it/watching it on youtube at this point.

SmithnCo

Lady Promstock
a third time. I just want the stupid encounters to stop already and to experience the damn story. I'm seriously close to just reading up on it/watching it on youtube at this point.

Power through it. That's the last encounter like that!

Lady Promstock

After her your golden keep on pushing bro!

Gorillaz

harSon that really is the last "real" hurdle , the last few hours aren't as overboard as that was. Tedious at times but not overboard.

Come on Drake you got this

EDIT: looking back at it having that fight 3 times in a row was pretty rough as hell. I was even at a point like fuck it.

harSon

Banned
I think a lot of my frustration has to do with the fact that the game gives me motion sickness. I've been powering through it despite that fact since I'm legitimately interested in the narrative, but I agree, having to fight
Lady Comstock three times
was definitely a boneheaded design decision. Maybe across the entirety of a game, but not within a 45 minute window. That's just too cruel :(

Helmholtz

Having that same fight 3 separate times is crazy. What were they thinking?
Definitely the weakest part of the game, especially since those enemies are nothing but frustrating to fight. I think I ended up camping a vending machine to take that bitch out.

Definitely the weakest part of the game, especially since those enemies are nothing but frustrating to fight. I think I ended up camping a vending machine to take that bitch out.

She is only difficult though on the first fight. The other two give you ample ammunition, salts, and health plus cover areas to take her down quick.

Gorillaz

She is only difficult though on the first fight. The other two give you ample ammunition, salts, and health plus cover areas to take her down quick.

I didn't really have a problem on the first, which surprised me, and the 2nd fight was when it became tedious Imo. The 3rd was a pain in the ass. I was playing on hard and it was the first time I actually turned down the difficulty. The 3rd time going at it was cheap as fuck

harSon

Banned
Wow, I got lucky as hell. My game glitched and
Lady Comstock
got stuck near her statue, and couldn't move. Which meant she couldn't attack me or
raise the dead
, so I just basically killed her without a scratch. I've never been so happy to see my game glitch.

Wow, I got lucky as hell. My game glitched and
Lady Comstock
got stuck near her statue, and couldn't move. Which meant she couldn't attack me or
raise the dead
, so I just basically killed her without a scratch. I've never been so happy to see my game glitch.

Ha thats great. The video game gods were looking out for you.

Thanks to the guys in the spoiler thread for putting the pieces together using timelines.

The game definitely had a great story, but it didn't come across as such to me during the game. (Maybe it's coz of all the shooting I had to do, lol)

I'm disappointed with Elizabeth though. She's supposed to be this 'best AI companion/character ever', but outside of cutscenes or the rare moments when she talks, she didn't feel alive to me.

For instance, when you entered a male washroom and she had a reaction for that. I wanted more of those.
Sadly, I didn't find anymore after that

And whatever reactions she has to objects in the world soon amounted to nothing because everything was the same.

I still think games like Ico, Prince of Persia and MGS3 did the "lifelike AI companion" better.

conman

I'm disappointed with Elizabeth though. She's supposed to be this 'best AI companion/character ever', but outside of cutscenes or the rare moments when she talks, she didn't feel alive to me.
All I know is that when she wasn't around I missed having her there.

I may have had issues with the harebrained plot, but the game nails its main characters (and I'd include Columbia itself among the lead roles).

DatDude

Banned

I may have had issues with the harebrained plot, but the game nails its main characters (and I'd include Columbia itself among the lead roles).

Yeah, pretty much this.

The game doesn't feel like it should be without her there by your side.

I didn't, but
seeing all the torture she endured in the future WAS painful. Then the ending was like having a hand stuck into your brain and scrambling all the info you've pieced together of the game until that point.

Anyway, I think having her react to you staring at her/shoot at her/etc and having her change expressions/fidget around when she's standing still; that would have done it for me. As it is, moments when she's just still and expressionless really breaks the immersion for me because it's such a stark contrast.

I'm glad to see the game's theme song getting so much newfound attention. I've always considered it one of the most beautiful songs I know. Even though I identify as atheist I often find myself singing it to myself, and it's always been on my normal playlist rotation. No shame in appreciating good music :)

Actually this song and a few others are what I attribute to me shifting my entire musics tastes about 7-10 years ago. Had no idea the song was going to be in the game until it played in the chapel near the beginning, and I immediately knew it was going to be an epic game :)

MormaPope

Banned
One of the best scenes in the game is (Early game spoilers)
Escaping with Elizabeth on the Skyline with the Monument Island statue crumbling and getting torn apart, falling into the abyss, catching Elizabeth, and then riding the skyline at insane speeds along with the excellent action themed music playing rivals James Cameron and other action director productions.

That shit was better than any action movie I've seen.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That ending wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected, damn you all. Well executed, atleast.

I'll make a big post of my thoughts on te game tomorrow.

Duffyside

Banned
I could (and think I will) write thousands of words about my thoughts on Infinite, but not now. Now... I quibble (and rant):

I spent probably 30 hours on my first playthrough, trying to explore EVERYTHING, as the world is the big draw to me for Bioshock games. I wanted to see and hear everything I could, and eventually everything in the game. Finishing the game should have taken me ten hours, but I spent literally at least 30 going to every nook and cranny I could. I got most of everything doing this, most importantly 75/80 Voxophones, by the time I had finished the game.

Time for the some cleanup and probably a second playthrough to get the whole experience that I want. Ok, so let's go to Chapter Select and see where my missing trinkets are and... annnd... nothing? No "you got 3/4 Voxophones and 1/2 Telescopes in Chapter 6" bit of information? Seriously? How could such an oversight happen in this day and age?

Terrible. I guess I'll just start a second playthrough, use a walkthrough and try to piece together from the in-game menu what I've missed annnnd... and holy shit did it just over-write my save and carry none of those collectibles over? Are you serious?

Are you serious?

It's 2013, Irrational. I can't remember the last game I played that made such a poor choice in what-is-now-standard design. Maybe Halo Reach, with its no-auto-save functionality? Totally sucked any desire to play the game again right out of me. It isn't about achievements, either, as I only go after all of those in games I absolutely love, which sadly Infinite isn't one. But I do love the world, or at least its foundations and the story behind it. I don't want to play the game again for the combat, and the narrative itself I can't experience again for the first time... but the details I would have liked to experience. But not that badly. Hopefully it gets patched.

Uh... so maybe some other impressions? I think the hand-rails are a neat idea, that didn't really work half of the time, and the way they were implemented in the middle majority of the game were confusing and nonsensical — aren't they supposed to be used to deliver freight? Then why are they winding all around this one island like some roller-coaster? I loved the bright, lively world of Columbia in the beginning quarter, and was terribly sad to see it slowly devolve into the drab Bioshock horror-world I didn't really want anymore of, even five years later. The guns weren't very interesting, neither were the salts, feeling like typical shooter fair, or like the bare minimum I would expect from a game called "Bioshock." I found none of the enemies all that fun to fight, and was terribly letdown by the complete castration of the hacking/(now)possessing of turrets, where they now just work, poorly, for maybe ten seconds before turning back against you, making it just easier to kill them and not waste the way over-priced mana for the brief rental.

Clicking on glowy bits, whether it be trashcans or corpses or desks, is entirely cumbersome and unfun. It's a horrible way to issue an in-game currency. How much more fun would it have been if one had been approached early in the game by a Vox Populi member, who would tell you that the more attention and "noise you make" (by creatively and effectively fighting the Founders), the more they would reward you with Silver, upgrades, weapons, etc? As is, I feel like a hobo in a world filled with dimwits, who are apparently writing signs about how starving they are right after they throw away all their fresh fruit and Silver Dollars. ... And their rocket launcher ammunition.

I feel like one of the main reasons this game is tracking so high with reviewers is because it dares to approach the idea of racism and segregation. But just addressing these important topics isn't enough for me, and I feel the game does a real disservice to... everything... but lacking any subtlety in the matter. The mistreatment of minorities would have had far more impact to me if it wasn't essentially all people talked about, and if I had slowly realized what was going on in Columbia (and America) based on details, and not blunt-force-trauma to the head.

I do think many of the characters in the game are great though, including Elizabeth, but especially the man and woman in the boat, who might end up being the best characters for the entire year. I haven't been that struck by brilliance in characterization since Wheatley in Portal 2.

It's a shame that Irrational couldn't capitalize on what potential Columbia has to be a non-linear world, too. They have the perfect excuse — much like the original Bioshock, both without coincidence and to their tremendous credit — to make a game that utilizes "tunnels" but doesn't abuse them. Unlike a shooter that takes place in New York, where you see a screenshot and smirk at how fortunate it must be for the designers that all the buildings crumbled and cars crashed in a way to make all these perfect little corridors, Irrational has twice brilliantly made worlds around this problem, by creating the natural barriers of the sea and now the skies. It is disappointing though they couldn't take it further, by allowing one to decide what islands they want to hop to next, and in what order, to achieve their goal. It still deserves credit for offering an environment that is more imaginative and design-friendly than most shooters, but it still feels like a fairly straight-path with arbitrary barriers, including indestructible turnstiles (good thing the robots weren't made of that metal).

The ending was pretty damn impressive though, I'll give them that. It went on a bit long, but knowing that I was coming to Bioshock mostly for a world and a narrative, I wasn't left disappointed on either front. I'd say more, but I've written way more than I wanted to already, and should probably save comments on the ending for the spoiler thread.

tl;dr - It's good, but not great. Fucking baffling about the lack of any carry-over of progress in a new game. Unbelievable.

Sullichin

Played up to
the beginning of Finkton Docks
on 1999 in one sitting. This game definitely warrants a second playthrough. Picking up on lots of little story bits and enjoying the atmosphere just as much as the first time. I'm glad I saved 1999 mode till now when I know what to expect. I'm enjoying the added challenge but it would have been pretty frustrating if I played it this way first. I made sure to get the murder of crows upgrade ASAP this time. Haven't come close to needing to restart from a checkpoint yet but I'm sure the first Handyman encounter is going to fuck me sideways.

Duffyside, your voxaphone count does carry over from your previous playthrough.

Duffyside

Banned
Duffyside, your voxaphone count does carry over from your previous playthrough.

Is my game bugged then? I started a second playthrough in 1999, and after picking up the first voxophone I went to check my list and it was the only voxophone showing up, and I'm certain I got it the first time. How am I supposed to know which ones I need to get if there's no information in the Chapter Select, the in-game menu, no enumerated list, nothing?

Sullichin

Is my game bugged then? I started a second playthrough in 1999, and after picking up the first voxophone I went to check my list and it was the only voxophone showing up, and I'm certain I got it the first time. How am I supposed to know which ones I need to get if there's no information in the Chapter Select, the in-game menu, no enumerated list, nothing?

Nothing convenient like that, but if you pick up one you haven't had before on PC you get the achievement progress pop up

MormaPope

Banned

On the 360 version there's a counter for how many you pick up, since it's a achievement to collect all of them, they are tracked throughout all playthroughs, but they won't be in your inventory whenever you replay the game.

Once you find new ones not found in any playthrough, the counter will be updated.

Neiteio

Hey Duffyside, if you go to Chapter Select and simply choose the first chapter, not only does the game start from the -very- beginning, but it will continue tracking any new voxophones, telescopes, etc, you collect or view while you go through the new game. While your end-game weapons and powers don't carry over, the game does inform you when you've found a new trinket. I know this because after beating the game, I chose the first chapter, and found one of those infomercials in one of the first shops, and when I viewed it, the tab popped up indicating I was one step closer to the Sightseer achievement, so I knew I was seeing something new.

As for the world being open-ended, I much prefer the more focused approach they took here. Open world always sounds good on paper, but in practice a game like this is so addictive because it's constantly stimlating; it vaccilates between intense action and easygoing sightseeing, soaking up the atmosphere while collecting money and supplies and learning more about the world through the voxophones, propaganda posters, PSAs, infomercals, NPC chatter, etc. The player sets the tempo, and can take all the time they wish checking out one area before taking what they found and using it to power up for a new battle they can approach in new ways.

The gunplay is definitely improved, and I think the vigors are more balanced than the plasmids in BioShock 1 and 2. The addition of tears to transform the environment and skylines for high-speed mobility were fantastic. The only downside was enemies seemed less likely to wander into your traps, preferring instead to stay behind cover unless you flushed them out or dragged them out. This made it harder to concoct elaborate deah traps like I did back in Rapture.

I loved the game, but I know you and I have different tastes (you being a Journey fan, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that or having different tastes). I'll say, while for me the issues you listed weren't a problem, I did love this bit you wrote:

Duffyside said:
As is, I feel like a hobo in a world filled with dimwits, who are apparently writing signs about how starving they are right after they throw away all their fresh fruit and Silver Dollars. ... And their rocket launcher ammunition.
Got a hearty LOL out of that. So true, ha. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Started playing this game, two hours in.

Bioshock 1 is my favourite game but this one dissapoints me in some way. I couldn't make myself care about what's going on because the number of people the game throws at you is ridiculous and it takes out the thrill of violence.

Also while the plot seems to be fairly interesting it doesn't intrigue me that much as well because all I do is shoot-shoot-shoot and I can't interact with the environment in any other way.

So I decided to restart the game in 1999 mode to get at least GAMEPLAY enjoyment out of it and found out that there is no quicksave or any kind of save and that defeats the purpose of this mode since you can run out of money and then the game is over. When I wasn't able to progress in System Shock 2 I could reload the save I made two hours ago and take different skill/approach. I can't do this here. It's basically iron man mode.

I don't know if I continue playing the game if I fail 1999 mode because there is no other way for me to enjoy it. For now at least.

nomis

Has anyone else notice that BioShock 1 and infinite have very similar
intro's?

is0auOJNFOpCv.gif

Duffyside

Banned
Yeah guys, it does keep track with some achievement-tracker... problem is, I don't have any track. It's not like I know which ones I'm missing, and I can't even piece it together now that the save has been over-written and only one voxophone is showing up in my menu, rather than 75. The best I could do is watch a youtube vid and try to remember which ones I got and which ones I didn't. Also, I can't even listen to the ones I did get the first time through unless I get them again, and now that I have the context of the ending in mind, I really would like to listen to some of those.

It really is baffling and unacceptable. Not "we need to boycott 2K games from here on out"-unacceptable, just "... are you fucking kidding me"-unacceptable.

Hey Duffyside, if you go to Chapter Select and simply choose the first chapter, not only does the game start from the -very- beginning, but it will continue tracking any new voxophones, telescopes, etc, you collect or view while you go through the new game. While your end-game weapons and powers don't carry over, the game does inform you when you've found a new trinket. I know this because after beating the game, I chose the first chapter, and found one of those infomercials in one of the first shops, and when I viewed it, the tab popped up indicating I was one step closer to the Sightseer achievement, so I knew I was seeing something new.

As for the world being open-ended, I much prefer the more focused approach they took here. Open world always sounds good on paper, but in practice a game like this is so addictive because it's constantly stimlating; it vaccilates between intense action and easygoing sightseeing, soaking up the atmosphere while collecting money and supplies and learning more about the world through the voxophones, propaganda posters, PSAs, infomercals, NPC chatter, etc. The player sets the tempo, and can take all the time they wish checking out one area before taking what they found and using it to power up for a new battle they can approach in new ways.

The gunplay is definitely improved, and I think the vigors are more balanced than the plasmids in BioShock 1 and 2. The addition of tears to transform the environment and skylines for high-speed mobility were fantastic. The only downside was enemies seemed less likely to wander into your traps, preferring instead to stay behind cover unless you flushed them out or dragged them out. This made it harder to concoct elaborate deah traps like I did back in Rapture.

I loved the game, but I know you and I have different tastes (you being a Journey fan, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that or having different tastes). I'll say, while for me the issues you listed weren't a problem, I did love this bit you wrote:

Got a hearty LOL out of that. So true, ha. :)

I don't know if our tastes are that different. I wound up buying this game, without multiplayer, day one, which I've decided will be a non-Platinum-Games super-rarity for me. I think Bioshock 1 is objectively one of the five best games of the generation, and it would probably be in my personal top ten. I got excited for Infinite as it neared release. Hell, don't tell anyone this, but
I bought the season pass bundle too!
Only other game I've done that with is Uncharted 3, my favorite franchise in games.

I don't hate it... it just all feels... incomplete to me. Or rushed? Or... hm... it feels like Irrational never reached their vision, but at some point someone from 2K said "guys... it's been five years and we really need to say enough is enough at some point."

I think of all the demos this game had in the last two years, and I don't think anything in-game ever reached the goals hinted at in those demos. Not the freedom talked about, not the peaceful down-time hinted at, not the sense of drama or versatility in the gameplay itself...

Also, I made sure not to use the term "open-world" as I know that is incredibly hard to do. But some real choice, some real exploration, would've fit PERFECTLY in this world. I was expecting a mild evolution from Bioshock 1, where no it's not an "open-world," but you have to get to Monument Island and hey, you can either get there by going to the left island, or the right island. It would have made sense for this world or islands in the sky supposedly connected by freight-rails. Instead, it feels like a linear shooter... which... bleh.

Top Bottom