• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is there any chance or way the third Handyman can be cheesed on 99? (Emporia)

I didn't have winter shield, so I abused the hell out of the decoy and the crows. When I saw him getting close I jumped on a skyline and created distance to let my shields recharge. Then went back to the decoy. I kept doing loops of the area. This was such a tense battle, because I used up every weapon around, and had to finish him off with a burstgun of all things. Then I noticed there was another rpg at the top of the area (you can only reach this via skyline). Still, easier than encounter n°2 because there's more space...

Andrew.

Banned
I didn't have winter shield, so I abused the hell out of the decoy and the crows. When I saw him getting close I jumped on a skyline and created distance to let my shields recharge. Then went back to the decoy. I kept doing loops of the area. This was such a tense battle, because I used up every weapon around, and had to finish him off with a burstgun of all things. Still, easier than encounter n°2 because there's more space...

Yeah the battle definitely has that going for it. The second battle outside the factory has been the most intense fight so far (dont get me wrong, I had a blast) but I lucked out big time because the HM got caught on something and I was able to take him out from a distance with the Carbine.

Jinjo

That sounds like a great idea except I have no Winter Shield. Ive never gotten it actually.

Hmm, that sucks. It's pretty amazing in all Handyman encounters since there always is a skyline you can exploit. I guess it could still work as he can't catch you on the zipline and you're on it for such a short time he won't electrocute it (only use the straight bit near the bank entrance). Just make sure you jump away fast enough (before he reaches you), the decoy helps a lot, also stunning him with vigors on the non-decoy side should give you some extra time.

I didn't have winter shield, so I abused the hell out of the decoy and the crows. When I saw him getting close I jumped on a skyline and created distance to let my shields recharge. Then went back to the decoy. I kept doing loops of the area. This was such a tense battle, because I used up every weapon around, and had to finish him off with a burstgun of all things. Then I noticed there was another rpg at the top of the area (you can only reach this via skyline). Still, easier than encounter n°2 because there's more space...
This is my favourite fight in the game, I think. Good skylines, lots of stuff to play with in the area, and the Handymen fights are the ones where you really have to think quickly and prioritize targets.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
will the circle be unbroken is gorgeous.
I have had the song stuck in my head since I first heard it. It blew my mind that Ken wrote it himself. I thought it was a song I had heard before and was impressed that they found something so fitting for the game. I had no idea it was original.

I'm also getting my art book today. Can't wait.

nib95

Banned
I dislike the apparent lack of checkpoints.. I had to keep playing the game for near 30 minutes just to get a new checkpoint yesterday. Which means I would have to redo every change in gear, loot, exploration, basically every choice I made, if I had exited the game before that. At least the game should save when exiting the game.

Agreed. Really frustrating when I have to dash, but can't without losing X amount of play. Checkpoints definitely should have been more frequent.

What do people recommend to upgrade in 1999 mode - health, shields or salt?

I imagine shields > health due to shields regenerating. So I imagine its shields (good for when cover is available) or salt (eg for when stunlocks are needed)

I never upgraded salts on my normal play through so far so I dont know how significant it is.

Plan on a new 1999 mode play through, hope its not too difficult to kill the fun though...

Dresden

I imagine shields > health due to shields regenerating. So I imagine its shields (good for when cover is available) or salt (eg for when stunlocks are needed)

I never upgraded salts on my normal play through so far so I dont know how significant it is.

Plan on a new 1999 mode play through, hope its not too difficult to kill the fun though...

Salt.

Max out Salt.

I think I finished with Health 3, Shield 10, Salts 9 or something. In hindsight, I should have upgraded Salts faster, as they are where the fun is. Not upgrading Salts would make the combat so much duller.

Is there any chance or way the third Handyman can be cheesed on 99? (Emporia)

There is a chance to glitch the game and not have him appear at all. Not sure how I did it, but, I killed all the enemies (using mostly possession) and when the final guy suicides , Liz went to open the gate.

Jinjo

Put everything into shields and salts. I never upgraded my health until I maxed out my shields and put more than enough in salts. Definitely favour shields a bit more over salts too. And hope you get lucky in finding the shield regenerating gear early (it has a chance of appearing for the first time in the area after the beach. Reloading checkpoint changes the gear you get sometimes. Upgrade charge aid when you first get it to start abusing the hell out of your shields.

Dmax3901

I have had the song stuck in my head since I first heard it. It blew my mind that Ken wrote it himself. I thought it was a song I had heard before and was impressed that they found something so fitting for the game. I had no idea it was original.

Wow, I thought it was just some lesser known verse of Amazing Grace or something... I guess that's what he was going for.

Is 1999 mode harder than Hard mode?

I have not tried it, but with you guys talking about it I kinda want to.

Is the game itself harder, or is it just the money/receive limits that make the game harder?

Err, that song is not an original. It's a protestant hymn. It is great, though.

Oh my gosh.

It's not an original. It's an old hymn.

I'm kindof bewildered that there are people thinking it's an Irrational creation.

"Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" is actually one of the more time-correct song in the game. It fits the game in the real-life time line as it is from the early 1900s

Dresden

Is 1999 mode harder than Hard mode?

I have not tried it, but with you guys talking about it I kinda want to.

Is the game itself harder, or is it just the money/receive limits that make the game harder?

Haven't noticed much difference from Hard outside of slightly tighter money intake. I guess the penalty for reviving is stiffer, but I haven't died so far (up to
Good Times Club
).

Maxing out Salt makes the combat so much better. That and knowing enemy placements.

how much salt do you start with on 1999 mode vs normal?

On normal I get 2 full bars for possession, which becomes 4 with an upgrade soon after on normal...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah the battle definitely has that going for it. The second battle outside the factory has been the most intense fight so far (dont get me wrong, I had a blast) but I lucked out big time because the HM got caught on something and I was able to take him out from a distance with the Carbine.

This is my favourite fight in the game, I think. Good skylines, lots of stuff to play with in the area, and the Handymen fights are the ones where you really have to think quickly and prioritize targets.

Yeah it's a great area with a lot of possibilities to take guys out.

It's funny how after 1999 mode, you know the arenas and their lay-out way better than on normal, especially if there's a handyman in them. The fact that we're numbering HM encounters and remember them perfectly, says enough. On normal, I wasn't keeping track. They were the big dudes I had to kill, not a big threat. Some fights just gain a large amount of depth because of 1999.

I mean, on normal I didn't even know there was a tesla coil at the back of the final finkton encounter.

There are people that stress upgrading health, but as most of the others here, I'd bank on shields and salts. Final stats for me: shields 10, vigors 10, health 4. On 1999, vigors are your friend. Early on, be sure to invest in the crow trap upgrade (1000+, worth the price). Then, later on, possess for less and charge aid are worth the high price. Depending on the situation though, every vigor is useful. Sky battle with air ships you can board? Bronco + undertow blast is gold. In a closed off arena? Upgrade crows and chain traps together, make em scream. Possession is great to start off the battle and create some chaos. Later on, I appreciated chain jockey as well. Multiple stun + head shot with carbine feels great.
Devil's kiss was often my 'cherry on top'. If I saw 3 guys with crows above their head, I topped it off with some fire. If bronco put some guys in the air, make fireworks. The list goes on. The combat in this game man.

how much salt do you start with on 1999 mode vs normal?

On normal I get 2 full bars for possession, which becomes 4 with an upgrade soon after on normal...

Same on 1999. You can possess twice.

Slathe

For people having trouble w/ checkpoints, I'm pretty sure you can force a checkpoint by exiting/entering an area - and it doesn't seem to reset any of the enemies. So, just run back to the last area switch you went through if you need to checkpoint.

So this should be arriving at the office this morning...

owVzYQb.jpg

Amazon.uk is telling me it's only out on April 9. Did the US get it earlier?

Andrew.

Banned
Amazon.uk is telling me it's only out on April 9. Did the US get it earlier?

Well Amazon emailed me over the weekend saying that the shipping date changed from the 11th. It says it will be delivered tomorrrow but tracking says its arriving today. Nice suprise.

Dylan

I find myself changing combat tactics based on whether I'm playing this alone or with people nearby. The agonizing screams of crow victims is a bit too much audio gore for those within earshot.

Well Amazon emailed me over the weekend saying that the shipping date changed from the 11th. It says it will be delivered tomorrrow but tracking says its arriving today. Nice suprise.

Oh well, I haven't finished the game yet so I wouldn't be able to check it out because of spoilers but I'm dying to have it. An artbook based on this game is bound to be mindblowing.

I missed your posts with your impressions of the game, did it meet your expectations? I'm loving the hell out of it.

Andrew.

Banned
Oh well, I haven't finished the game yet so I wouldn't be able to check it out because of spoilers but I'm dying to have it. An artbook based on this game is bound to be mindblowing.

I missed your posts with your impressions of the game, did it meet your expectations? I'm loving the hell out of it.

Exceeded expectations. Its my fav game this gen next to the original and easily made my top ten of all time.

KorrZ

Bucking Bronco is just too much fun, especially with the 2x length. I love using the standard pistol so they don't die but just continue to bounce in the air.

Fjordson

Ken Levine wrote that song? Wow. Was certain it was some old folk song or something. impressive.

StuBurns

Banned
The song about Columbia, how could he have 'found it'?

It's cool though, Synecdoche, New York ends with a song written by the writer/director, called Little Persons (I think?), it's wonderful. It's also pretty much the best film ever, so everyone should watch it.

EDIT: Thinking about it, how did they not use Come Josephine in My Flying Machine? It was the biggest hit of 1911, and it's about a flying machine, sure fire win.
"Look how we fly through the sky so high", it's like it was written for the game.

Zeliard

Haven't noticed much difference from Hard outside of slightly tighter money intake. I guess the penalty for reviving is stiffer, but I haven't died so far (up to
Good Times Club
).

The penalty for dying in 1999 is substantially harsher. It isn't just the money - when you die in 1999, enemies are reverted to full health. Get a certain boss down to literally a millimeter's worth of health, and you die, they go back to full.

Breaking down American Exceptionalism and Manifest Destiny into modern conservate/liberal camps is not doing it justice.

I think Levine is a very astute student of history, and that kind of dichotomy is high school level commentary at best. It's beneath him.

Breaking down American Exceptionalism and Manifest Destiny into modern conservate/liberal camps is not doing it justice.

I think Levine is a very astute student of history, and that kind of dichotomy is high school level commentary at best. It's beneath him.

There's so much more going on in that essay than simply a dichotomization of American history. And I'm not saying it should be taken as rote. Having said that, the American political system is dichotomous - does it really not make sense to analyze the game that way?

Regardless there's a lot of really interesting ideas he has about Infinite, that are entirely outside of the pure political analysis. Did you read the whole thing?

Top Bottom