• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DatDude

Banned
I feel like one of the main reasons this game is tracking so high with reviewers is because it dares to approach the idea of racism and segregation. But just addressing these important topics isn't enough for me, and I feel the game does a real disservice to... everything... but lacking any subtlety in the matter. The mistreatment of minorities would have had far more impact to me if it wasn't essentially all people talked about, and if I had slowly realized what was going on in Columbia (and America) based on details, and not blunt-force-trauma to the head.

I think the problem is that your taking the theme of racism and segregation as a theme of Columbia, when it's more supposed to reflect the inner conflict of Booker.

It's really more of a mirror reflecting the chaos of Bookers life, rather than a direct commentary of racism in 1912's society.

Rosenskjold

This game completely blew me away, definitely a contestor to Goty. I decided to sit down and transcribe the song "Will the circle be unbroken" afterwards because it's so beautiful; then I realized it's an old hymn and that it's easily found already, but in any case, my lead sheet is an attempt to write it down as it's sung in Bioshock.

It can be found here if anyone's interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?hmsx4y35xcny1yq

I'm a few hours in so far... I really like it. Very, very good.

So, I ended up picking up the PS3 version over the PC version because I actually really wanted to use to the Move for it. I went in completely blind to how Irrational designed the controls for the Move but if they even came close to how Guerrilla nailed Move controls with Killzone 3, I'd be happy.

After playing from start to where I am now, they really did a fantastic job with it. It definitely makes the game kind of take on a different feel because I feel the game just flows much more naturally than otherwise. The style of the combat in the game really makes the independent and free flowing aiming of the Move really shine, because it feels much smoother to chain stuff together in rapid succession and keep moving. Having the crosshair being able to freely move independent from your movement and direction works really well for this game. A lot of the fun for Infinite is to keep moving, experiment and look for new ways to approach something and it just feels right using the Move. It is pretty accurate too and I have no issue sweeping across the screen pin point shooting over and over again in a hectic firefight. The standard twin stick stuff feels so slow and janky now.

I'm really quite surprised. Killzone 3 made me a believer in motion controls for an FPS but it is nice to see someone else take it seriously and do an awesome job with it. Bravo, Irrational!

I'm a few hours in so far... I really like it. Very, very good.

So, I ended up picking up the PS3 version over the PC version because I actually really wanted to use to the Move for it. I went in completely blind to how Irrational designed the controls for the Move but if they even came close to how Guerrilla nailed Move controls with Killzone 3, I'd be happy.

After playing from start to where I am now, they really did a fantastic job with it. It definitely makes the game kind of take on a different feel because I feel the game just flows much more naturally than otherwise. The style of the combat in the game really makes the independent and free flowing aiming of the Move really shine, because it feels much smoother to chain stuff together in rapid succession and keep moving. Having the crosshair being able to freely move independent from your movement and direction works really well for this game. A lot of the fun for Infinite is to keep moving, experiment and look for new ways to approach something and it just feels right using the Move. It is pretty accurate too and I have no issue sweeping across the screen pin point shooting over and over again in a hectic firefight. The standard twin stick stuff feels so slow and janky now.

I'm really quite surprised. Killzone 3 made me a believer in motion controls for an FPS but it is nice to see someone else take it seriously and do an awesome job with it. Bravo, Irrational!

...wait you can play Bioshock Infinite with the Move? Crap.

I think I'm like 3/4 of the way through now, getting pretty burned out. The
racial inequality stuff
is really annoying. It isn't something that has any kind of emotional impact on me, so it's tiring that the game seems to be using it as a way of making me care about things (if that's what it's attempting to do).

ArynCrinn

Banned
I remember seeing in early trailers a power that let Booker pull guns from enemy hands and shoot them...is that still in the game? Or is it among the HUGE amount of cut content.

Oh, and I want telekinesis back, as well as the ability to equip the wrench with Wrench Jocky 1/2!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aww man, I hope I won't feel the same. What's wrong with it?

you can't save in this game and once you run out of money you're booted in the main menu and you have to start the game again as I understand. Let me check...

edit: well, it's not THAT bad because as it turned out you are booted to the beginning of the level, not the game.

Rosenskjold

you can't save in this game and once you run out of money you're booted in the main menu and you have to start the game again as I understand. Let me check...

edit: well, it's not THAT bad because as it turned out you are booted to the beginning of the level, not the game.

I had this stupid hope that they would actually let you play through the game with the things you had earned in the first playthrough, but I'm gonna guess that's just borderline crazytalk.

No save means that you cannot leave the game or what?

I had this stupid hope that they would actually let you play through the game with the things you had earned in the first playthrough, but I'm gonna guess that's just borderline crazytalk.

The game autosaves at checkpoints. There just aren't any quick saves.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

you can't manually save like you can in Bioshock and System Shock 2. So if you almost completed the level and was killed at the end, you'll have to go through the whole level again. Also you can't load the save you made 2 hours ago and change the character's progression.

you can't manually save like you can in Bioshock and System Shock 2. So if you almost completed the level and was killed at the end, you'll have to go through the whole level again. Also you can't load the save you made 2 hours ago and change the character's progression.

You could load a previous chapter though. Your resources and upgrades will be intact from when the game autosaved at that point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is 1999 mode Hard + extras?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Up until the final quarter of the game, I upheld a 'no revive' policy. If I died, I paused and reverted to checkpoint. This is tough at the very start since you're weak, but once you get the first vigors and a few shield upgrades, it gets better.
There are enough checkpoints, and you can keep your money for those vital vigor upgrades. Only in the very hard encounters later on, I allowed myself to revive once or twice. You need the money in this mode. Since you lose 100 per death, reviving is or should be a last resort option.

Casanova

ok, it's tolerable. I'll continue playing in 1999, it has its edge from Shock games at least.

1999 mode makes the game much more challenging. I played at my friend's house for an hour or so on release day and it was a breeze-through. When I got the game, however, I started on 1999 mode and I am still playing in it, and there is a noticeable difference. If you like to be challenged in-game, definitely give it a shock.

I am on my way to Lady Comstock's grave.
So about how far am I in the campaign? I'm guessing 3/4, is that about right?

Riposte

Its the new re4 Pro mode.

lol the dumb shit you guys say... The New "re4 Pro mode" was "re5 Pro mode" followed by "re6 No Hope Left mode". It means "higher difficulty setting which makes the game more fun" which is true... for most games, if you don't suck at them. If you don't generally play games on their highest difficulty you are likely playing them all "wrong", not just BioShock Infinite.

I would give 1999 a shot, but I can't stand the thought of picking up all that money again. The idea of it disgusts me. Don't think I'll ever play this game again because of it.

On Dishonored vs Bioshock Infinite: Dishonored just wasn't a good game. It fails at everything it attempts on a mechanical level and its rich atmosphere was mostly wasted being grungy (and it had no "wow" moments). Bioshock Infinite is just way better on both fronts. I wouldn't say it is an exceptional shooter, but it steady improves over time to be competent, if not a little more than that by the end.

Up until the final quarter of the game, I upheld a 'no revive' policy. If I died, I paused and reverted to checkpoint. This is tough at the very start since you're weak, but once you get the first vigors and a few shield upgrades, it gets better.
There are enough checkpoints, and you can keep your money for those vital vigor upgrades. Only in the very hard encounters later on, I allowed myself to revive once or twice. You need the money in this mode. Since you lose 100 per death, reviving is or should be a last resort option.

This is exactly what I did. It was the Handyman
___at the final encounter with Fink__
that broke me. I just couldn't do it, I let myself die once on that fight, losing about 100. It was painful to allow.

that broke me. I just couldn't do it, I let myself die once on that fight, losing about 100. It was painful to allow.

I died twice there as well, though I had $1600 in reserve. Only times I've died so far on 1999 mode and both of them were from the Handyman electrifying the skyline.
Currently going to find the three tears in Emporia now

Also, Murder of Crows can stunlock Handymen. Pretty handy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Yep, that was the exact time I allowed my first revive as well. Especially because the checkpoint placement at that part sucks :
I had to collect a crapload of money every time, upgrade vigors, get the gear in the back, watch the Undertow vid ánd go through the Fink murder, plus waiting for the Vox to appear.
At that point I allowed myself the luxury.

Fjordson

I feel like I just got through the middle section some reviewers were complaining about.

It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't that fun for me. Felt like a string of fetch quests and it was just sort of meandering and unfocused. Even the environments were somewhat dull. Compared to the first third or so of the game where the setting was steadily getting more and more impressive and interesting with every new level.

Killed a lot of momentum for me, but I think I'm on the home stretch now. Feels more focused again and the story is gettin' gud.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What were reviewers complaining about? What middle part? The game felt perfectly paced at all times.

Andrew.

Banned
So this should be arriving at the office this morning...

owVzYQb.jpg

Fjordson

What were reviewers complaining about? What middle part? The game felt perfectly paced at all times.
I'm not sure which section they meant specifically but for me I'd guess it was

Middle spoilers
basically a lot of what happens in Fink's area and all the stuff with the Gunsmith and then Daisy Fitzroy. Go get the airship. Nope, get the Vox guns first. Okay, go find the Gunsmith. Nope, he's not here, he's at the club. Go to club to find him, oh wait, he's dead. Open tear, go back to Gunsmith to finally get guns. Not so fast, now he's crazy, he needs his tools. Go to get his tools, but wait, you can't carry them. Open another tear, go back to Gunsmith again to see if he's happy. Nope, he's actually dead just like he was an hour ago.

And then you go deal with Daisy who I didn't really find all that interesting (also wish they fleshed out Fink a little more).

Luckily, it all feels much better now that I'm heading to Comstock's house.

Wasn't bad by any means, just wasn't as special as what preceded it for me.

Yeah, I did a no-revive policy up until
Lady Comstock
, at which point, fuck it, you know? The checkpoints aren't that bad in most areas, and playing 1999 meant I wasn't going to drop 100 dollars left and right just to respawn.

bj00rn_

Banned
I dislike the apparent lack of checkpoints.. I had to keep playing the game for near 30 minutes just to get a new checkpoint yesterday. Which means I would have to redo every change in gear, loot, exploration, basically every choice I made, if I had exited the game before that. At least the game should save when exiting the game.

Really enjoying the game. I agree with some peoples thoughts on maybe too much shooting, as I enjoy exploring, though I wouldn't say there's a lot to explore really. I think it's missing certain things like being able to pick up photos/newspaper clippings/notes etc. Rooms feel a bit empty beyond ammo/salts/health, bar those Voxphones.

The characters are great though. Perhaps the most engaging self playable character in a FPS since Gordon Freeman.

Skyriding is fun and the world is an interesting place. The tears are and interesting concept. I do like those.

Overall it is pretty much Bioshock in the sky and that is a good thing. Definitely a good quality game which I don't want to end right now.

KlotePino

I beat the
first lady comstock encounter in 1-2 tries, and the 2nd and 3rd one were done with 1-2 clips of a carbine
Am I playing something different here? I enjoyed them finally giving me a challenge although I understand it might get a little more frustrating on hard that should be what you're signing up for if you select that difficulty. I really enjoyed the gunplay btw, I see some people complaining about it but most of the weapons had a nice feel to them IMO with a decent reward for headshotting, especially after you get the gear that gives you extra damage on crits.

Jinjo

Is there any chance or way the third Handyman can be cheesed on 99? (Emporia)

Winter Shield and use the straight bit of skyline near the decoy. Jump off, unload while you're invulnerable, jump back on the skyline and zip to the other side, and repeat. Activate the decoy for some extra time to pump him full of bullets.

In fairness to me, I think that was the only game I played that year.
I think the hand-rails are a neat idea, that didn't really work half of the time, and the way they were implemented in the middle majority of the game were confusing and nonsensical — aren't they supposed to be used to deliver freight? Then why are they winding all around this one island like some roller-coaster?
Because it's a game and it's supposed to be fun.
So this should be arriving at the office this morning...

owVzYQb.jpg

Looks great! Loved the mini art book that came with the $70.00.

Going to load up Infinite and see how much time I can put into it. Probably only about an hour.

Andrew.

Banned
Winter Shield and use the straight bit of skyline near the decoy. Jump off, unload while you're invulnerable, jump back on the skyline and zip to the other side, and repeat. Activate the decoy for some extra time to pump him full of bullets.

That sounds like a great idea except I have no Winter Shield. Ive never gotten it actually.

Anyway to cheese the second
Lady Comstock
encounter.

It's driving me nuts.

Stuck at this spot in 1999 mode.

I crouched by the entrance to the vault. Shot shot shot away with my two guns (machine gun and burst gun) and a headshot buff from a piece of clothing.

When I ran out of ammo I would sprint into the vault. Run to the Dollar Bill station, buy more ammo and salts and then sprint back and repeat. I did the run three times and had her down to a third health left and screwed up on my fourth ammo run and died.

It's doable.

Completely uninspiring but the way 1999 Mode rolls, there's not a whole lot of options.

Lol, upon maxxing out my health, I have just realised that I can also put points into shields and salt. I'm guessing my attribute build is fairly banjaxed now.
Oh no.

I think I put one point into health and then said fuck it and put everything else in the other two. Salts is by far the most useful; I just put a lot into shield because I was playing 1999 and thought that meant resources would actually be, y'know, scarce and figured I should extend a renewable one where possible.

Top Bottom