• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

So who else is guilty of this?
KR6RPPl.gif

source (with audio) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLFhMWcFmZ0

My girlfriend was on the couch next to me, and I asked her to look at the toilet, there was poo in it. A prompt came up to eat it and she started to gag. I then told her it was just a potato. She argued, it was in a stinky toilet. I then countered with, "So what?"

Marcel

what did you find "mixed bagg-y" about the rest of it?

There are like three different active BI threads today so I'll take a few of my things from each (in no particular order):

- Everything about the game speaks to sitting in the oven for too long. The
jumps in time and space
, retreading through the same maps forward and backward, the very padded second act, and the messiness of the story (heavily "borrows" from Fringe, a piece of media that executed and humanized the
alternate universe
stuff a lot better).

- Bioshock 1 had more memorable encounters even though the combat was worse than Infinite. I don't care for the first Bioshock all that much either, but the atmosphere of mystery around splicers and Big Daddies was a lot more effective than a bunch of generic policemen/robots/snipers etc.

-
The Vox Populi portion has that false equivalency thing going on, "Oh, but the progressives aren't innocent either!". If all progressives were as flat of characters as Daisy Fitzroy, the statement might carry more weight. All the Vox Populi are, really, are just the other bad guys you end up shooting instead of the Founders for a couple of maps.

Ziek

I'm so frustrated with
protecting the airship. How the hell am I supposed to do this? I just get overwhelmed every time. Playing on hard.

Rosenskjold

I'm so frustrated with
protecting the airship. How the hell am I supposed to do this? I just get overwhelmed every time. Playing on hard.

Took me 4 attempts. Stand in front of the core so you take as much damage as possible. Have the songbird only attack zeppelins. And rush into the patriots using possession as much as possible.

DTKT

I'm so frustrated with

Few tips:

- Only use the songbird on the Patriots that assault your ship.
- You can take out the really big zeppelins by destroying the engine inside. You need to use the skyrail to board them.

DatDude

Banned
There are like three different active BI threads today so I'll take a few of my things from each (in no particular order):

jumps in time and space
, retreading through the same maps forward and backward, the very padded second act, and the messiness of the story (heavily "borrows" from Fringe, a piece of media that executed and humanized the
alternate universe
stuff a lot better).

I don't understand how you think the story is messy though.

Just play it on a second playthrough and it's main themes stay consistent throughout
Redemption and that choice is irrelevant

I agree at first I had no clue what I was playing and alot of the inital dialogue felt like white noise. So it did feel a bit overwhelming and overbearing.

But I think once you understand everything, a second playthrough begins to click very much so.

- Bioshock 1 had more memorable encounters even though the combat was worse than Infinite. I don't care for the first Bioshock all that much either, but the atmosphere of mystery around splicers and Big Daddies was a lot more effective than a bunch of generic policemen/robots/snipers etc.

Meh. Splicers were just as generic. They were mutants that had copied skins. There were like 4 variants in total I think? Pyro, lead head, the one with the wrench, the spider splicers that climbed on the walls and thats pretty much all of them

Also there were only 2 variants of big daddies as well.

Just seemed you didn't care for the more "realistic" side of the enemies..which is just a matter of taste I guess.

The Vox Populi portion has that false equivalency thing going on, "Oh, but the progressives aren't innocent either!". If all progressives were as flat of characters as Daisy Fitzroy, the statement might carry more weight. All the Vox Populi are, really, are just the other bad guys you end up shooting instead of the Founders for a couple of maps.

I still think all those conflicts are meant to a metaphorical illustration of Booker chaos.

Rosenskjold

Few tips:

- You can take out the really big zeppelins by destroying the engine inside. You need to use the skyrail to board them.

I see there are multiple solutions to this xD ha ha ha

Andrew.

Banned
Few tips:

Are there enemies inside
the zeppelins?
Im making notes of all of this when I finally get there on 99.

Few tips:

Also, keep one Patriot alive with Possession until the songbird is available again. More enemies won't drop until the last enemy on the ship is killed.

SmithnCo

Are there enemies inside
the zeppelins?
Im making notes of all of this when I finally get there on 99.

On 1999 the one I took down didn't, though there were enemies around that could be dodged with Return to Sender. Just ignore them for the most part and take it down.

Dead

well not really...yet
One of the DlC needs to integrate Fitzroy to better flesh out her character and faction.

Theres a pretty obvious setup for a story involving her and the vox. Anyone whos 3/4ths through the game should recognize what that us. Hopefully irrational are planning on that.

sqwarlock

Few tips:

Keeping this in mind for my second playthrough. Will be playing on either hard or 1999 after going medium through the first. I used
Devil's Kiss, the gear that uses health to cast vigors when out of salts, and the med kit rift to get through the last few stages of that fight.

Zeliard

All about the carbine and hand cannon.

Also fun to use the crank gun to just mow down fools, but that thing eats ammo like nobody's business (without using Return to Sender, at least).

I'm not halfway through the game yet, but I enjoy all the weapons except the pistol, and I'm indifferent to the sniper.

Carbine I think may be my favorite.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm not halfway through the game yet, but I enjoy all the weapons except the pistol, and I'm indifferent to the sniper.

Carbine I think may be my favorite.

Man how can you dislike the pistol? I love it. Sounds great and powered up it does real good damage, especially with the clip sizes.

I cant argue for carbine love though...

This is the one game which would be amazing if it had a new game+ mode. Starting the game with a super powered badass and being able to buy all the upgrades for everything by my upteenth play through would have been awesome.

conman

jumps in time and space
alternate universe
stuff a lot better).

-
Pretty much agreed on all counts. Though I can see we're in the minority here. ;)

I think your judgment is spot on. While the artistic vision is clear and pointed throughout, the story is a mess, and I can see how it has elements of storyline "feature creep." It needed some massive retooling and revision. It's all over the place, and they ended up in a very different place than I think they thought they would. And that's a good thing in the early stages of development, but not once development is well under way (because that requires going back through your original designs and concepts and being able to cut things without bleeding money and talent). It's as if rather than making those cuts, they just kept adding layer after layer. By the time the thing was finished, their final product had very little to do with what they started with.

I can imagine a situation where the art and level design team were already committed to one vision, and that couldn't be changed, but perhaps the story got massively rejiggered in the midst of development. I could easily be wrong, but that's what it feels like. By then, they couldn't change the level assets, so they just had to layer stuff into what they already had. Even if that's not how it happened, that's what the end result looks like, and it would explain a lot of the issues folks like us have with the game.

This was the part where the gameplay and story really started to click for me. Admittedly I have a soft spot for industrial areas, though.
For me, Finkton is precisely where the game starts to fall apart. It's the point in the game where the two storylines (the story of Columbia and the story of Booker) diverge irremediably, and it's also--not coincidentally--the point where the story and the setting part ways.

garath

Carbine is my goto. Head shots all day. My second weapon has been largely shotgun or volley gun for those pesky turrets and big guys.

Dead

well not really...yet
Carbine is a beast, but it seemed like the weapon I found lying around the least. Always had to replenish the ammo at dolla dolla bill y'all

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I have the game, and excited to play, but want to finish a couple games first.... just popping in to see the mood of the thread (huge fan of Bioshock 1), and I'm dissapointed to see that this entire page is talking about only one thing.... guns.

This worries me a bit :(

Andrew.

Banned
I have the game, and excited to play, but want to finish a couple games first.... just popping in to see the mood of the thread (huge fan of Bioshock 1), and I'm dissapointed to see that this entire page is talking about only one thing.... guns.

out of 317 pages and almost 16000 posts, this one particular page gives you worries?

*shaking my damn head*

Just go play the game dude.

There's a LOT of shooting in this game. A lot of it.

It's good shooting though

sn00zer

Or y'know you could just play and form your own opinion

HUGE SPOILER DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVENT BEATEN THE GAME
Im sure you in particular will love the story based on your avatar

Guevara

This game is pretty gun-heavy.

B1 you could play through mostly or totally with plasmids. Because of the limited salt, you'll always need a gun in Infinite.

I have never seen a game have more spoilers posted all over the place on practically every website than this game since I started playing video games, it is incredible. Just goes to show how incredible this game is and how people want to talk about this kind of stuff.

Top Bottom