• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

conman

The thing about historical fiction, the author must go to great lengths to present anecdotes that convey the emotions and culture of the people at that time & place. There are tons of great historical fictions that are little more than murder mysteries, but spend a great deal of time describing setting. I think BI does this very well.

Also, who's to say that those concepts even need to be fleshed out at all? The fact that they are presented in the game at face value with no heavy-handed moral resolution is powerful enough for me.
Absolutely, but when that happens, the choices an author/filmmaker/game designer makes are informed (by necessity) by the contemporary moment.

But more than that, Bioshock Infinite directly acknowledges the relationship across time between different eras
not just 1912 and 2012, but also from many moments in between
. This is a game very clearly not just about 1912. And (at least through the first half) Bioshock Infinite seemed deeply interested in the ways that games interact with history, and the power and responsibility inherent in that relationship.
The central sci-fi premise of the game--the "tears"--are all about that power
. Which makes it all the more a bummer that they then ditched their own sense of responsibility. It ends up looking like pandering to blockbuster expectations--much like their generic box art.

LiK

It took me 4 hours (1/4 of my total playtime) to get to her. I saw Yoshichan say it took him 5 hours.
thats actually typical when I go back and remember it. Got the whole opening and shooting segments. Lots of stuff before you even see her.

Andrew.

Banned
How is that even possible?! It took me two hours to get to her and I explored nearly everything.

First time in Columbia I moved slower than a snail soaking everything in with my mouth on the floor.

I also searched everywhere

Its possible, trust me.

I probably killed 20 minutes alone before even being baptized.

Hamlet

So who else is guilty of this?
KR6RPPl.gif

source (with audio) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLFhMWcFmZ0
haha Elizabeth's face really makes this

Guevara

It took me 16 hours all told. Honestly I can't even imagine where the stuff I missed is. I was pretty thorough but missed several infusions and at least 8 vox tapes.

Andrew.

Banned
It took me 16 hours all told. Honestly I can't even imagine where the stuff I missed is. I was pretty thorough but missed several infusions and at least 8 vox tapes.

Theres a few voxophones that appear in places youve already visited
after you cross dimensions in Finkton and Shantytown

SmithnCo

So who else is guilty of this?
http://i.imgur.com/KR6RPPl.gif[IMG]

source (with audio) [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLFhMWcFmZ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KLFhMWcFmZ0[/URL][/QUOTE]

Haha, I saw that potato. Don't think I ate it though, too much for me.

sqwarlock

i beat it in 12. Skipped the key and cypher side quests.

I only missed one of the key side quests IIRC and I finished in a little over 12 hours. I certainly didn't feel like I rushed it though. Then again, I think I only ended up with around 68 audio journals. No idea where the hell the rest of them could be since I thought I explored pretty thoroughly. Guess that's what a second playthrough will be for.

The ":(" is representing my anxiety to get to the ending. I want to see it already, but I'm enjoying so much exploring every corner of this game.

I know your itching to jump into the conversations were all having but trust me with this game they aren't going anywhere and if anything we envy you getting to experience the ride for the first time.

Never really got into bioshock even tho I tried, played the first 3 hours of the first one but just didn't feel it. Since bioshock infinite was up as a game trial on plus and had nothing better to do decided to play it and it got me hooked, mainly due to the amazing art direction, plus the gameplay is serviceable, love the hook mechanic and the crows attack.

That said, would it be ok for me to skip the 2 first to games, or should I force and play the other two? will I be missing references or does infinite stand on its own given that its a prequel?

DatDude

Banned
Never really got into bioshock even tho I tried, played the first 3 hours of the first one but just didn't feel it. Since bioshock infinite was up as a game trial on plus and had nothing better to do decided to play it and it got me hooked, mainly due to the amazing art direction, plus the gameplay is serviceable, love the hook mechanic and the crows attack.

That said, would it be ok for me to skip the 2 first to games, or should I force and play the other two? will I be missing references or does infinite stand on its own given that its a prequel?

Try and play bioshock 1.

The game will give you a much more satisfying impact that might not exist if you didn't play Bioshock 1.

Andrew.

Banned

Without playing the first game you will miss a couple nods to it, but its no big deal. Dont worry about ties to 2 though. Definitely get to each of them after your playthrough though as they are both fantastic experiences.

edit: or what Dat Dude said.

Zeliard

The whole baptismal chamber and the altar rooms leading up to it with the choir in the background.

.....Fuck it. The whole. damn. game.

Yeah the intro is just sublime. I was wondering how they were possibly going to match the visuals for the rest of the game.

And somehow they did.

Dylan

Having played Bioshock 1 will enrich your experience of Infinite, though I think you could easily play Bioshock Infinite first and if you wanted to, that would equally enrich your experience with Bioshock 1.

Don't worry about Bioshock 2; even though it's a good game, there are no "callbacks" or anything like that in Infinite.

DatDude

Banned
The whole baptismal chamber and the altar rooms leading up to it with the choir in the background.

.....Fuck it. The whole. damn. game.

You know people complain about the fink section

But I really dug the whole industrial look of that section.

It was a bit fetch quetchy yea, (didn't bother me though since bioshock 1 had so many fetch quests akin to this), but the whole look of the area had a really great steam punk meets 1900's Industrial feel.

You are literally at the end of the game, about an hour when you include the final sequence. Boy oh boy you are in for a treat.

Man I guess I would have finished it if I didn't have to go to my parents for Easter. I didn't want to stop right there, especially since I was right at the end of a location ha That whole play session was full of awesome stuff that pretty much demand screen captures. Now I just have to hope that everyone in this thread hasn't over hyped the ending for me. I have somewhat high expectations after all the mind blown comments you guys have made haha

Andrew.

Banned

It was a bit fetch quetchy yea, (didn't bother me though since bioshock 1 had so many fetch quests akin to this), but the whole look of the area had a really great steam punk meets 1900's Industrial feel.

I loved the look and that section. The mechanical sounds in the background etc gave me City 17 vibes.

This was the part where the gameplay and story really started to click for me. Admittedly I have a soft spot for industrial areas, though.

OmahaG8

Once upon a time, there was a cool story bro.

Bought Ultimate Songbird edition for PC, Amazon shipped me PS3. Exchanged. Decided I wanted to play with my PC on my TV and not monitor. Hooked up to audio receiver for first time since Skyrim. Audio was choppy. Damnitsomuch, why? Ugh, whatever, don't RMA it. Use optical out. I have a Razer card as well as onboard audio for optical outputs. Mess around with awful Razer drivers for hours, not able to get it to work. Tried on onboard card for hours, not able to get it to work. Give up. Read that there are licensing issues I had no idea about for Dolby Digital and things like PC games. Realized onboard card was never an option. Reinstalled Razer drivers, worked immediately for some reason.

Now I'm ready to play for the first time, no outside factors menacing my enjoyment of the game.

Now to hear what everyone's bitching about :D

Wizman23

Banned
Finished it this weekend and loved the combat. Any FPS like Halo where you never have to use iron sights is a winner in my book. The only time I ever scoped in was with the sniper. The other guns were severly gimped in iron site mode and was most likely put in just to make the Call of Dutyers happy.

DatDude

Banned
It's cool how they managed to change the feeling of this hymn in the game. I can't think of it without a bit of sadness now.

Glad to give something back :)

So wait that's there own original version of the hymn? Not somebody elses version? If so, very impressive

Also your somber piano version would've worked very well in the credits :p

DatDude

Banned
Yup, not in the game. I think that is symbolic of Infinite overall — lofty goals, but they just couldn't execute them in the final product. Says something to me that there were all these things Irrational was showing to say "here is what we want the game to be like" and they're not in the final product.

Or you know, they just didn't want to use them..considering they already had all the various assets made, including the voice acting done.

Also..I feel like Infinite just didn't click for you overall..because there lofty goals (aside maybe from those large combat scenes) were all executed with A++++.

Rosenskjold

So wait that's there own original version of the hymn? Not somebody elses version? If so, very impressive

Also your somber piano version would've worked very well in the credits :p

I think it is, the other versions I've found on youtube have all been country songs :p Having my somber piano version in the credits would have been quite an honour :p

Top Bottom