• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Wynnebeck

Banned
From what I posted earlier today:

The first Handyman battle can be exploited pretty easily. It's how I got through it on 99.

Lead him over to the back corner to the right of the Good Time Club (face the club and it is to the right). Hook up to the awning and then jump onto the log pile tucked in the corner. Crouch and wait there for him to arrive. He will either get stuck on the corner of the building and just look at you and not do shit or he will jump in front of the log pile, attack sometimes, but is still able to become an easy kill.

This is also the method I used to get the "Heartbreaker" trophy.

lol He got stuck on the woodpile and I walked up and shot him. Also, I'm currently
fighting Lady Comstock's ghost
and she is giving me everything she's got lol. How far am I?

Grimsen

The game seems to have sold pretty well. I bought the game today, and in all the futureshops in my region, there was only 1 premium edition for ps3 left.

The bonuses are pretty neat. Futureshop was giving a steelcase with the game too, and while it's nice, the reveresible cover is much better. It reminds me of the art in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

DigiMish

I missed the Charge vigor in the
police station.
Is there anywhere else that I can get it or will I have to replace an existing vigor at the vigor machine? I am now far past this part and very bummed that I missed it.

Most likely that you'll find it later on - you encounter tons of vigor bottles later on.

Mr. F

Banned
Making my way to
Comstock House, finally starting to find out more about the Luteces - really enjoying them. Probably my favourite characters in the game, and a pleasant surprise (wasn't expecting borderline comic relief in a Bioshock game).
On a side note, I'd be totally fucked if I didn't come across the Handyman Nemesis gear.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah so Return to Sender on 1999 is basically...

tumblr_inline_mggzedwSKp1qfb1ni.gif

And while the world invites you to look at all of its small details and expansive vistas, the level design doesn't encourage you to explore much.

I think the level design – I may be confusing this with the setting of the world – encourages exploring as much as anything can. It's just that there's not much to explore as in BioShock.

Yet somehow this game is taking me as long as the first BioShock. It's weird.

Andrew.

Banned
I think the level design – I may be confusing this with the setting of the world – encourages exploring as much as anything can. It's just that there's not much to explore as in BioShock.

That's because it's so much more open in terms of traversal. The first Bios were, or at least seemed very contained because you were moving through these tubes into smaller quarters. They were both deep exploratory games in a much more seemingly condensed and contained environment compared to Infinite. I think they both require the same type of OCDish searching, because each world presented just simply begs for it. They're too beautiful not to.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok fuck this boss fight. I've literally died 10+ times now and I don't see how you can beat
Lady Comstock
. Is there a secret switch or something?

SmithnCo

Ok fuck this boss fight. I've literally died 10+ times now and I don't see how you can beat
Lady Comstock

If you are on the first fight and have bad gear, hide in the crypt with the medkits and shoot her when she comes. Otherwise, you can use Return to Sender or Charge to good effect.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lady Comstock

You can cheese it depending on what you have.

If you upgraded charge to have invulnerability, and spec some powerful melee gear you can basically just stay in her face. If not it will be much more annoying.

Wynnebeck

Banned
If you are on the first fight and have bad gear, hide in the crypt with the medkits and shoot her when she comes. Otherwise, you can use Return to Sender or Charge to good effect.

You can cheese it depending on what you have.

If you upgraded charge to have invulnerability, and spec some powerful melee gear you can basically just stay in her face. If not it will be much more annoying.

Yeah I don't have Charge and the first strat is pretty bad since she continually revives her goons. Hiding in one area is a death wish with no ammo.

SmithnCo

Yeah I don't have Charge and the first strat is pretty bad since she continually revives her goons. Hiding in one area is a death wish with no ammo.

The goons can't go into that area, only her.
(btw, not the tunnel with medkits, the little crypt near where you start)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lady Comstock

What a coincidence, came to this thread to vent on this very same thing. Goddamn shit took a trip to shittown if you ask me. Playing this on hard and good lord the cheese is great. Just soured my mood for tonight after dieing for the 50th time.

Andrew.

Banned
I havent gotten there yet. Im actually biding my time on here before I do it. Im just gonna go with Shawns (FartofWar) route and see how it works. Im just not sure if I should spend the cash upgrade for Charge to explode on contact or not...

I have all the appropriate equipment except for Blood to Salt.

This kinda shit reminds me of approaching some sort of Demons Souls fight. 1999 mode people.

So I'm at
Finkton
and
looking for the now revived gunsmith after going through the tear.
How far into the game am I? Is this the "fetch questy" section a lot of people complained about? Because I'm still enjoying things very much.

I'm also finding the game surprisingly challenging on hard. I've died several times, and at one stage was actually down to no money after a few deaths. Luckily I managed to keep it together on that final life so didn't need to re-load. If the game had quick saves, I would be doing a no death playthrough.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I'm at
Finkton
and
How far into the game am I? Is this the "fetch questy" section a lot of people complained about? Because I'm still enjoying things very much.

I'm also finding the game surprisingly challenging on hard. I've died several times, and at one stage was actually down to no money after a few deaths. Luckily I managed to keep it together on that final life so didn't need to re-load. If the game had quick saves, I would be doing a no death playthrough.
thats about halfway more or less

Andrew.

Banned
So I'm at
Finkton
and

Youre a little more than halfway. No death playthrough on 99. You cant afford to die really anyway.

Wynnebeck

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I JUST FOUND THE CHEESIEST WAY TO BEAT HER.
Put Charge on and the gear that has 70% chance to set on fire. Ram her ass and watch her health melt.
It was so simple, I slapped myself in the forehead for not thinking of it sooner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's weird to see so many people say this. I used it once to see what it did and never touched it again.

It is really useful for Patriots, as you can literally just stand there and be completely immune to them as you build up a ball to toss back.

But yeah, it depends on how you're geared. With Storm and Shock Jockey it was not something I ever needed.

Youre a little more than halfway. No death playthrough on 99. You cant afford to die really anyway.

Is this your second playthrough Andrew? And has the game met your expectations?

I'm so glad this game turned out well. I never lost faith, but in my old age it's getting harder and harder for anything to truly impress me. This game has done that!

Roight. Well you said the private docks. You should've said outside of the Factory, the second Handyman, or after you get Undertow =P

Private docks is the name of the location where the encounter takes place, It's specifically named 'Fink's Private Docks'.
The first one is at the Plaza of Zeal :)
Anyway, finished it earlier - what a pain in the ass it was.

Balphon

It's probably my favourite Vigor. It kills Motorized Patriots in about 10 seconds.

It is really useful for Patriots, as you can literally just stand there and be completely immune to them as you build up a ball to toss back.

But yeah, it depends on how you're geared. With Storm and Shock Jockey it was not something I ever needed.

I think you missed out. It's pretty damn good. It's basically a shield that you can release to heavily damage anything.

Looks like I should've given it more of a chance. Though the same can likely be said of most of the vigors since I used Possession and Bucking Bronco pretty much exclusively for the majority of the game.

Andrew.

Banned
Is this your second playthrough Andrew? And has the game met your expectations?

I'm so glad this game turned out well. I never lost faith, but in my old age it's getting harder and harder for anything to truly impress me. This game has done that!

It's my second and a half. I finished my first on Hard, then did a trophy cleanup on normal and now Im in Emporia on 1999 using no Dollar Bill machines. It's in my top ten of all time and the second best game this gen for me next to Bio 1.

Private docks is the name of the location where the encounter takes place, It's specifically named 'Fink's Private Docks'.
The first one is at the Plaza of Zeal :)
Anyway, finished it earlier - what a pain in the ass it was.

Nice work and my apologies for fucking that up. The whole past 10 days have been a blur.

TTG

So, I got to (late game spoiler)
The fight against a certain special lady at the graveyard
and I want to talk about the whole Vox Populi arch. It's about the only major snag the game has hit so far, here's a couple of reason why I don't like it:

-First and foremost, the most interesting thing about Infinite(before the Vox uprising anyway) was that, unlike the first game, it was a city prospering. There were civilians who didn't recognize the player, the zealots and police and finally some underlying currents of almost allies that were obviously unhappy with the system(going back to the printing press scene). Now all of that character and charm is gone from Columbia, replaced by a rather predictable conflict with some predictable ideological differences on either end. I'm back in a place where 99% of people I meet are enemies and everything is reduced down to chaos and rubble.

-The miserable working man vs Finch/Comstock, did we really need that to take up so much time? I wanted to keep exploring the characters' background and the city's history. I don't think I've heard Comstock speak in a good 5+ hours. Dewitt has stopped wondering about all the weird shit that's been going on with him. The only character development that's benefited from this is Elizabeth's, but I feel that could have been done by other means.

-The tears, a little too convenient. There is interesting stuff that comes of them story wise, mostly about Elizabeth learning the extent of her powers, taking responsibility for her actions and such. But, it still seems like an easy way to flip the switch on the whole city.

Maybe I just need some sleep. I'll put some coherent thoughts together later, probably after I finish the whole thing. But, my first reaction is definitely not positive.

It's my second and a half. I finished my first on Hard, then did a trophy cleanup on normal and now Im in Emporia on 1999 using no Dollar Bill machines. It's in my top ten of all time and the second best game this gen for me next to Bio 1.

Glad to hear it's met your expectations! Personally, it's already surpassed the original Bioshock for me and I'm only halfway through. I really love how you can barely go 15 minutes without some impressive new sights or story developments. It's rare for games to keep up that level of pacing.

There are a couple of things I miss though:

1) Hacking
2) Quick saves

conman

By "level design" I'm referring to the actual spatial layouts in the game--what's navigable, traversable, explorable, etc. Other than a couple of branching paths in a few areas, BI is a pretty linear affair. The original Bioshock certainly wasn't as open as Metroid Prime, but it had elements of Retro's game, though within a much more confined area. Not the case for Bioshock Infinite.

I loved walking around and looking at every visual detail in Bioshock Infinite, but in terms of the spatial layouts, there wasn't a whole lot to the levels. It is the eye candy rather than the space itself that encourages exploration. There are a couple of exceptions that I noted in an earlier post (Fort Frolic and Emporia), but even those feel constrained. It could be the fact that Columbia is a much more open environment than Rapture and so it just feels more constrained because the visuals make it feel like it should be more open. I haven't played the original Bioshock in a while, so I could be misremembering. Regardless, the feeling of the game is ultimately what matters, and BI simply feels much more linear.

Also, I know I'm going on and on in my complaints, so it sounds like I didn't enjoy the game. But that's not the case. I really loved a lot of it. But it's because it hits such high highs that its low points stand out that much more strongly.

Ce-Lin

after finishing this game I wonder why it took so long since the Atari 2600 days for THE GAME to be released, now the real question is, will this game ever be topped ? in some alternate universe perhaps ? this will be my GOTF and the one I'll show to those smart-ass "friends" of mine asking me why I like videogames so much.

I tried going back to OG Bioshock and I felt so alone there... different experience alright but Infinite is just the much better game of the two masterpieces.

Andrew.

Banned
Glad to hear it's met your expectations! Personally, it's already surpassed the original Bioshock for me and I'm only halfway through. I really love how you can barely go 15 minutes without some impressive new sights or story developments. It's rare for games to keep up that level of pacing.

There are a couple of things I miss though:

1) Hacking
2) Quick saves

The pacing is perfection for me. I miss quicksaving too absolutely. How would hacking work in 1912 though?

Andrew.

Banned
after finishing this game I wonder why it took so long since the Atari 2600 days for THE GAME to be released, now the real question is, will this game ever be topped ? in some alternate universe perhaps ? this will be my GOTF and the one I'll show to those smart-ass "friends" of mine asking me why I like videogames so much.

funny-gif-asian-guy-thumbs-up.gif

So fellas, if I'm sort of a third of the way through a 1999 playthrough, but I want to show my wife the
Elizabeth rescue scene on Monument Island
(featuring perhaps the greatest music in any game ever created) via chapter select... will that overwrite my 1999 save?

Really wish the save system in this game was different. But 1999 mode, as advertised in this thread, is god tier. Feels much closer to the original gameplay video.

Edit: whew, accidental spoil averted

Andrew.

Banned
So fellas, if I'm sort of a third of the way through a 1999 playthrough, but I want to show my wife the
Elizabeth rescue scene on Monument Island
(featuring perhaps the greatest music in any game ever created) via chapter select... will that overwrite my 1999 save?

Really wish the save system in this game was different. But 1999 mode, as advertised in this thread, is god tier. Feels much closer to the original gameplay video.

Edit: whew, accidental spoil averted

It wont overwrite it unless you get to the part you were at in 1999. If then, you keep playing, you're fucked.

Keep track via the load chapter screen in the main menu.

Are you a Johnny Greenwood/PTA score fan too? ;)

Top Bottom