• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

It shouldn't take that long...probably 20 mins.

There is a walk through on IGN if you need some assistance.

I had some niggling issues with that as well. I would clearly hold the button down over the target, and nothing would happen which led to taking unneeded damage. I've also had this happen with Vigors on occassion, my crows and shock jockey had zero effect on an enemy right in front of my on a few occasions.

Make sure you take the Zepplins out, or else enemies will keep coming.

Attack the zeppelins. If you don't take them out, the battle just keeps going.

Oh my god...

Did I really not do this...

DGFONFGONFDGNFGONDFGONGFODNOFDONGOGHREOWGWREFR

Thanks guys...how in the fuck did I miss this :(

Sophia

Seems like every single problem involving combat in this game boils down to the fact you can only hold two weapons. Turning every battle into a battle of survival and a guessing game.

At least I'm at the final battle now. Don't think I'm gonna replay on 1999.

Completed it on '99 mode yesterday, and disregarding the LOL worthy finale and overall plot, the game as a whole is a steaming pile of wasted ambition and compromised gameplay philosophies.

EDIT: Also what the fucking fuck is wrong with the checkpoint system?! I got three total in the last 9 hours of playtime, and two of those were virtually back to back. I lost 1 1/2 hours of playtime once due to a power outage and nearly snapped the disc in half :mad:

I agree on the wasted ambition and abysmal checkpointing. There's no excuse for bad checkpointing in a game that used to have a 'save anywhere function'. The game also blatantly lies about saving. After the final battle I had a "Autosaving" prompt on my screen. It was late so I turned off the game and returned the next morning, only to learn I had to redo the entire battle again because the game actually didn't save. :/ This also happened earlier in the game in Finkton. Don't really get how they managed to botch something like this.

The wasted ambition was already apparent when you look at the E3 2011 trailer. I mean wow. Don't get me wrong, you get some cool vistas and the art direction is top notch, but the actual action in this game is not on the same level as that vertical slice. At least Ken admitted this already during the development of the game. Also, the relative linearity of Columbia compared to Rapture surprised me, I expected more open areas with branching paths.

As far as the gameplay goes I also felt this was a step down from Bioshock 2, even if Irrational didn't work on that game. People don't get why a COD-comparison is made but you can set a COD-controller layout in the options, have regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit (because why? Juggling weapons in Bioshock was actually fun and the limit here just felt annoying and arbitrary to me, they could've rebalanced the enemy encounters to account for this I think). Only thing missing was grenades :) . I didn't really care about the vigors except for Charge and Possession, but the selection was ok. I did miss my alternate ammo choices, that felt like a Bioshock staple but sadly didn't make it in the final game.

All in all I enjoyed the game (platinumed it yesterday) but I feel the ambition on this project was so high that the final product couldn't deliver on. Maybe if I didn't watch all that pre-release stuff the game would've made a bigger impact on me.

dreamfall

"Oh girls, just want to have fun."

Been treading lightly in this thread, because I'm progressing so slowly. But I just passed by that, and damn I was pretty blown away.

The art direction in this game- my goodness. There are moments I just find myself really walking about with Elizabeth, just for her to casually remark about things she's observing. That feels pretty amazing.

Vire

GAF is hilariously predictable, love shower first week, shit on it then on after.

*rolls eyes*

I'm staying out of this thread...

Just beat it on Hard, and after the second time I think I like it even more than the first.

conman

Not quoting the whole post as you spoiled a lot of stuff unmarked. Not sure why you didn't just keep this discussion in the spoiler thread other than to ruin it for others.

On that note I'm out of this thread. I was going to discuss some early game things and impressions as I went through the game but its not safe.
No idea what you think I spoiled unless you're peeking behind my spoiler tags. The thread's been pretty closely self-policed, so the fact that my post went uncommented for three pages suggests to me that it was totally safe. Apologies if I said something overly suggestive, but I really don't think I did. Made a minor change just in case.

And I've been sticking to this thread because I'm talking about overall impressions of the game rather than nitty gritty details of plot or pet theories.

Sophia

I just compromised and set the game to Easy. I hate to do so right at the final battle, but I'm in no mood for this game's bullshit and I don't want to do what I usually do and stop entirely.

GAF is hilariously predictable, love shower first week, shit on it then on after.

*rolls eyes*

Just beat it on Hard, and after the second time I think I like it even more than the first.

Thank you for lumping us all under the GAF hivemind, your hostile attitude was very appreciated.

Nert

*rolls eyes*

Hooray for posts that refer to "GAF" as a singular entity. I really loved BioShock Infinite and I still do, minor flaws aside. I also think it's a testament to the game's strengths that so many people who don't normally care for shooters decided to play it anyway.

saunderez

*rolls eyes*

Yeah I'm sticking to the spoiler thread from now on too. I'm finding playthrough #2 much more fulfilling than my first run, now that I understand the rules of the world I'm discovering so much stuff that didn't make a whole lot of sense the first time through.

Jirotrom

It's prettier.

I don't know about better.

Posts like this baffle me. Why do you even need to ask? You have what you call a gaming laptop. You know what your laptop is capable of doing performance wise. You have a 360 and you know what it's capable of performance wise.

PC versions generally are stronger from a graphics and framerate perspective than consoles.

Yet we still get posts like this and threads about it.

Its more of Im sacrificing viewing the game on a 50 inch screen on 360 to viewing it on a what I think is a 15inch screen on my laptop, and yes my laptop is more powerful than my 360, I just wanted to get the gist on if others think its still better to play tis on the laptop... hence why i brought up the "laptop"...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

*rolls eyes*

Come on. People are EXPLAINING issues, not blindly shitting on the game. No need to try to curb actual discussions.

t-ramp

Its more of Im sacrificing viewing the game on a 50 inch screen on 360 to viewing it on a what I think is a 15inch screen on my laptop, and yes my laptop is more powerful than my 360, I just wanted to get the gist on if others think its still better to play tis on the laptop... hence why i brought up the "laptop"...
You can't hook up the laptop to your TV and play with a controller?

*rolls eyes*

I think there is a (very small) subset of people who are trying too hard to find ways to dislike the game since it's getting a metric shit-ton of praise and adulation, as there are always the people who refuse to accept things can be popular and good at the same time, but sweeping GAF generalizations are blehhhhhh.

The checkpoint system IS horrid, no two ways about it. I myself haven't lost any progress due to the checkpoints but enough people are complaining about it that it is definitely a mechanical issue.

Mindlog

Are we talking about vigors? I like crows. And setting those crows on fire. And watching the fallen become crow traps.

Fiery Crows in general were my favorite combination. Especially when I got my Ghost Rocket Launcher.

ezekial45

Banned
Are we talking about vigors? I like crows. And setting those crows on fire. And watching the fallen become crow traps.

Fiery Crows in general were my favorite combination. Especially when I got my Ghost Rocket Launcher.

I'm a little disappointed that there's only 8 combos for the vigors. I tried using BB with Undertow, to knock them off of Columbia, but it didn't do anything. The more obvious combos doesn't combine at all.

Jirotrom

You can't hook up the laptop to your TV and play with a controller?

Interesting, haven't tried this, just got a new laptop, and the last one (a 4 year old one) lagged like a mother lol. I've been in and out of gaming the past few years, sorry if I'm "noobish" just been so tied up with school lol

HDMI cable and a 360 controller and your laptop will sing on that 50 inch screen.

If anything having a laptop is better for this because it's easier to transport than a big PC tower.

DO IT!

Sophia

I hope they patch in an Ironman mode. Die once, goodbye.

I'd prefer it if they fixed the checkpoints and just force you back to them each time instead of this silly system they have now. I didn't think it was possible to get worse than Vita-Chambers that trivialize the game. I was wrong; this actually makes the game worse.

Finally finished the game. Story was good, game was flawed. Lemme know when modders patch in all weapons, redesign the death system, and fix the balance issues with Vigor and I'll be all for a 1999 mode playthrough.

Jirotrom

HDMI cable and a 360 controller and your laptop will sing on that 50 inch screen.

If anything having a laptop is better for this because it's easier to transport than a big PC tower.

DO IT!

just did!!! bought the game on pc for 34 bucks on ebay lol steam code, no complaints here! thanks for your help :D

Hellcrow

Just started the game. How do I know if a guy is neutral or foe? Walking up to them to observe their reaction is not helping much.

Sophia

Oh come on! Everyone else has had the same reaction! Besides aren't you near the end anyways? :p

I actually finished it long before you posted that. I'll probably make my opinion in the ending in the spoiler thread after I... speed read all of that thread. >_>;

DatDude

Banned

*rolls eyes*

Nah.

Just a minor few. There voices are always the loudest :p

Mr. F

Banned
Just started the game. How do I know if a guy is neutral or foe? Walking up to them to observe their reaction is not helping much.

I found enemies are pretty obvious in that they'll initiate combat when you're in a pretty generous range (unless they start neutral eg. reacting to your stealing something). It's kind of weird that your gun stays out all the time, even in non-combat sequences...felt odd exploring the ice cream shop with my shotgun out.

Other than that you'll start to recognize which uniforms will probably be out to get you if you approach them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
any tips for dealing with turrets in 1999 mode?

In the history of video games there has never, and will never be a game that get's it 100% perfect.

quick save and reload is a pretty perfect system, really

Sophia

quick save and reload is a pretty perfect system, really

Not perfect, seeing as a player can make the game unwinnable if the developer is lazy enough. But anything is better than Infinite's system which actively punishes players and encourages replaying several hours back thanks to poor design.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not perfect, seeing as a player can make the game unwinnable if the developer is lazy enough. But anything is better than Infinite's system which actively punishes players and encourages replaying several hours back thanks to poor design.

well, mixed with an autosave/checkpoint system, in theory. But sure.

I get that quick save/reload is a weird UX grey-area that's kind of out of fashion nowadays, but it's just so nice.

Mr. F

Banned
From ps3trophies.org

Bucking Bronco + Charge
Bucking Bronco + Devil’s Kiss
Devil’s Kiss + Charge
Murder of Crows + Devil’s Kiss
Murder of Crows + Shock Jockey
Possession + Devil’s Kiss
Possession + Shock Jockey
Undertow + Shock Jockey

It never occurred to me to try combos, awesome.

Sophia

well, mixed with an autosave/checkpoint system, in theory. But sure.

I get that quick save/reload is a weird UX grey-area that's kind of out of fashion nowadays, but it's just so nice.

Yeah, I prefer it to any other system nowadays alongside checkpoints.

I really hate Infinite's system. It actively and permanently punishes you for dying. It'd be like playing Demon's Souls if you couldn't get your bloodstains back and there was no way to ever reacquire replacement souls.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
In the history of video games there has never, and will never be a game that get's it 100% perfect.

Making it so that I have to replay an hour and a half because I didn't understand the system when I first played is no where close to 50% perfect.

Top Bottom