• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1999 isn't too bad so far. Now that I know the combat flow and everything it's much easier than I found Hard out of the gate to be since that was my first exposure to the game. I was glad I dropped it down to Medium for the first play through but 1999 has been fun so far. I was afraid it would be brutal skipping Hard and going to 1999. The ridiculous amount of bonus gear that I have from the Season Pass and the preorder game helps too :lol

pa22word

Completed it on '99 mode yesterday, and disregarding the LOL worthy finale and overall plot, the game as a whole is a steaming pile of wasted ambition and compromised gameplay philosophies. Overall, the running theme with the game's gameplay design seems to be "lets take control out of the players hand, and do it for them -- because they aren't smart enough to handle that themselves!".

The gameplay as a whole is so fundamentally flawed I can't believe anyone can praise it at all, much less proclaim it as something better than its predecessor(s) in any way, shape, or form. The base gameplay is a really dumbed down and CoD-ified copy of BioShock 2, which takes all the flaws inherent in it and introduces a metric s***-ton more of them--all the while fixing none of the problems from before, and in the end you're left with a game with no real gameplay identity. Rather, what's left is a relatively poor mish-mash of CoD, Half-Life, and BioShock 2. Lets run down some of the changes and their problems:

Going full circle and removing essentially all the depth from the game that Bio1 somehow left unscathed from SS2, and totally destroyed the awesome gameplay that was found in Bio2. There is now 8 plasmids, a 2 weapon carry limit, no alt ammo, and effectively full regen health. Bio2's gameplay was balanced around keeping you out of cover by utilizing not only on-command-use medpacks, but also giving you several support tier plasmids and tonics to help recover your health and provide you with a strategically planned defense. BSI removes pretty much all of these, and replaces them with Elizabeth's tears (elizabtih spawning a decoy replaced the decoy plasmid, elizabith spawning flying turrets replaced the spawn turrets plasmid, etc.) which can only be used situationally rather than on command, like in Bio2. They also removed on-command med and mana packs, replacing them with elizabeth throwing you med packs or mana packs when she feels like it. Which frankly, both suck ass, and makes what was once a really fun and engaging combat system into a game of luck.. Other problems stem from them devaluing alternate gameplay builds entirely for a modern FPS style "everyone experiences everything exactly the same, or slightly different" philosophy. Pure melee builds are no longer viable at all, neither are pure support classes. Instead what's left are 6 physical and 2 support plasmids, all of which are essentially less precise, retooled versions of what was already there in Bio2. There are more issues like the shield system with no on-command med packs breaking the flow of combat and turning it into an elaborate game of hide-and-seek due to all the hitscan based enemies (like 90% of them, ugh....), removing hacking in place of pointless Elizabeth insertion, and the flat out broken checkpoint system, but those essentially either speak for themselves, or flow back into what I've already said.

"Mole's ass" aka Molasses movement speed is another thing. This a relatively minor and extremely annoying quip on its own, but added in with the rest of the crap (particularly, the new health system) it makes the gameplay rote and essentially turns the game into CoD with spells.

Overall, it's worse than Bio1 in pretty much every way. If Bio1 was a 7/10, I'd say this would be a 6.5 or so.

EDIT: Also what the fucking fuck is wrong with the checkpoint system?! I got three total in the last 9 hours of playtime, and two of those were virtually back to back. I lost 1 1/2 hours of playtime once due to a power outage and nearly snapped the disc in half :mad:

Andrew.

Banned
As usual, you're a boss, Andrew.

You really can't use the checkpoint system in 1999 though - it's soooo financially punishing, God.

Ive died a bunch of times in 99 no bullshit, but Ive reloaded the checkpoint every single time. Seriously, you cant afford not to (if you play with no Dolla Dollas). I love it personally.

It teaches you to get better at the game and think about your attack strategy. In the end, isn't that what we all want instead of any sort of fucking cakewalk?

Completed it on '99 mode yesterday, and disregarding the LOL worthy finale and overall plot, the game as a whole is a steaming pile of wasted ambition and compromised gameplay philosophies. Overall, the running theme with the game's gameplay design seems to be "lets take control out of the players hand, and do it for them -- because they aren't smart enough to handle that themselves!".

The gameplay as a whole is so fundamentally flawed I can't believe anyone can praise it at all, much less proclaim it as something better than its predecessor(s) in any way, shape, or form. The base gameplay is a really dumbed down and CoD-ified copy of BioShock 2, which takes all the flaws inherent in it and introduces a metric s***-ton more of them--all the while fixing none of the problems from before, and in the end you're left with a game with no real gameplay identity. Rather, what's left is a relatively poor mish-mash of CoD, Half-Life, and BioShock 2. Lets run down some of the changes and their problems:

Going full circle and removing essentially all the depth from the game that Bio1 somehow left unscathed from SS2, and totally destroyed the awesome gameplay that was found in Bio2. There is now 8 plasmids, a 2 weapon carry limit, no alt ammo, and effectively full regen health. Bio2's gameplay was balanced around keeping you out of cover by utilizing not only on-command-use medpacks, but also giving you several support tier plasmids and tonics to help recover your health and provide you with a strategically planned defense. BSI removes pretty much all of these, and replaces them with Elizabeth's tears (elizabtih spawning a decoy replaced the decoy plasmid, elizabith spawning flying turrets replaced the spawn turrets plasmid, etc.) which can only be used situationally rather than on command, like in Bio2. They also removed on-command med and mana packs, replacing them with elizabeth throwing you med packs or mana packs when she feels like it. Which frankly, both suck ass, and makes what was once a really fun and engaging combat system into a game of luck.. Other problems stem from them devaluing alternate gameplay builds entirely for a modern FPS style "everyone experiences everything exactly the same, or slightly different" philosophy. Pure melee builds are no longer viable at all, neither are pure support classes. Instead what's left are 6 physical and 2 support plasmids, all of which are essentially less precise, retooled versions of what was already there in Bio2. There are more issues like the shield system with no on-command med packs breaking the flow of combat and turning it into an elaborate game of hide-and-seek due to all the hitscan based enemies (like 90% of them, ugh....), removing hacking in place of pointless Elizabeth insertion, and the flat out broken checkpoint system, but those essentially either speak for themselves, or flow back into what I've already said.

"Mole's ass" aka Molasses movement speed is another thing. This a relatively minor and extremely annoying quip on its own, but added in with the rest of the crap (particularly, the new health system) it makes the gameplay rote and essentially turns the game into CoD with spells.

Overall, it's worse than Bio1 in pretty much every way. If Bio1 was a 7/10, I'd say this would be a 6.5 or so.

EDIT: Also what the fucking fuck is wrong with the checkpoint system?! I got three total in the last 9 hours of playtime, and two of those were virtually back to back. I lost 1 1/2 hours of playtime once due to a power outage and nearly snapped the disc in half :mad:
Is every FPS nowadays a COD clone? I'm sick and tired of hearing that baseless comparison.

SmithnCo

As usual, you're a boss, Andrew.

You really can't use the checkpoint system in 1999 though - it's soooo financially punishing, God.

Actually, I found they give you plenty of money... Even in 1999 I was never starved of cash to reload. Though I didn't die very often. Going through the game twice previously, I pretty much knew where all the loot was though.

pa22word

Ive died a bunch of times in 99 no bullshit, but Ive reloaded the checkpoint every single time. Seriously, you cant afford not to. I love it personally.

I couldn't reload checkpoints for aforementioned reasons, and never really had a problem with cash on '99 mode. I finished the game with like 1500$ to spare too, meh.

The only fight that really gave me any trouble was
the first fight with lady comstock

Is every FPS nowadays a COD clone? I'm sick and tired of hearing that baseless comparison.

It's hardly baseless when the game goes virtually out of its way to emulate it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The economy doesn't take too long to break itself. I ended the game with an absurd amount of lockpicks, after the first 2-3 areas where there are doors requiring lockpicks and safes using even more it was never something to even think about. It is weird how they hand packs of them out like candy at a certain point.

After finishing it, and being so god damn pleased with this game. I ordered the Songbird edition off Amazon. I told myself I wouldn't buy it months ago, but this game..

THIS GAME.

pa22word

The economy doesn't take too long to break itself. I ended the game with an absurd amount of lockpicks, after the first 2-3 areas where there are doors requiring lockpicks and safes using even more it was never something to even think about. It is weird how they hand packs of them out like candy at a certain point.

Yeah, this too. I ended the game with maxed lock-picks, lol.

A whole .5 of a difference eh, IGN?

Andrew.

Banned

Not exactly. Searching at least semi half assedly gives you some, if that.

There was a pack of them I found hidden in a fucking wastebasket

traveler

Not Wario
Pure no weapons melee build is the easiest built in the game. In fact, it completely trivializes every encounter once you have it, regardless of difficulty. Just blew through the end of hard using charge with both upgrades, burning halo, blood to salt, vampire's embrace, and brittle skinned. You literally just charge and melee everything in sight until its all dead.

Papercuts

Not exactly. Searching at least semi half assedly gives you some, if that.

There was a pack of them I found hidden in a fucking wastebasket

A lot of them are well hidden, it's just odd how prevalent they got. I was secretly hoping for some absurb ~20 lockpick doors that are packed to the brim with guns and salts to reward the super scavengers.

Andrew.

Banned
A lot of them are well hidden, it's just odd how prevalent they got. I was secretly hoping for some absurb ~20 lockpick doors that are packed to the brim with guns and salts to reward the super scavengers.

20 lockpicks? In a Bioshock game? This isnt fucking Final Fantasy.

Amir0x

Banned
I really like using that tentacle vigor. It's like an old school Mortal Kombat technique when combined with some melee armor.

Like COME OVER HERE, *pulls back, twacks with FLAMING SKYHOOK*

SmithnCo

I really like using that tentacle vigor. It's like an old school Mortal Kombat technique when combined with some melee armor.

Like COME OVER HERE, *pulls back, twacks with FLAMING SKYHOOK*

Exactly what I usually did. Also good with the Vampire's Embrace gear so you can get some health out of it.

Question. If I reload a certain chapter: What happens to my Silver and other stats, items and progression?

I think "chapters" are just the last five checkpoints, so if you load one it becomes the latest, the one you are now becomes the second and you have to go to chapters again to access it.

edit: people don't like Return to Sender? the only way I can wrap my head around that is disliking it because of how OP it is.

Skab

So, I got to (late game spoiler)
The fight against a certain special lady at the graveyard
and I want to talk about the whole Vox Populi arch. It's about the only major snag the game has hit so far, here's a couple of reason why I don't like it:

-First and foremost, the most interesting thing about Infinite(before the Vox uprising anyway) was that, unlike the first game, it was a city prospering. There were civilians who didn't recognize the player, the zealots and police and finally some underlying currents of almost allies that were obviously unhappy with the system(going back to the printing press scene). Now all of that character and charm is gone from Columbia, replaced by a rather predictable conflict with some predictable ideological differences on either end. I'm back in a place where 99% of people I meet are enemies and everything is reduced down to chaos and rubble.

-The miserable working man vs Finch/Comstock, did we really need that to take up so much time? I wanted to keep exploring the characters' background and the city's history. I don't think I've heard Comstock speak in a good 5+ hours. Dewitt has stopped wondering about all the weird shit that's been going on with him. The only character development that's benefited from this is Elizabeth's, but I feel that could have been done by other means.

-The tears, a little too convenient. There is interesting stuff that comes of them story wise, mostly about Elizabeth learning the extent of her powers, taking responsibility for her actions and such. But, it still seems like an easy way to flip the switch on the whole city.

Maybe I just need some sleep. I'll put some coherent thoughts together later, probably after I finish the whole thing. But, my first reaction is definitely not positive.

I cannot wait to see your reaction to things upon finishing the game.

DukeBobby

Not going to lie; i went through the majority of game on hatd using only the return to sender vigor. The vigor system was just bland in this game

You don't get Return to Sender until
Emporia, which is about 70% into the game.
How can you use it for the majority of the game?

In my opinion, every Vigor was useful.

That's what I mean. Columbia ceases to be a "character" with its own story. Instead, the game becomes increasingly about Booker and his history. The city and its history get tossed aside.
Not quoting the whole post as you spoiled a lot of stuff unmarked. Not sure why you didn't just keep this discussion in the spoiler thread other than to ruin it for others.

On that note I'm out of this thread. I was going to discuss some early game things and impressions as I went through the game but its not safe.

Fjordson

Just beat the triple fight other people have had some trouble with. That wasn't too fun. These sections that repeat themselves are really, really bumming me out.

Jrmint

Just finished this, absolutely incredible. I cannot see a universe
Lighthouse?
where this doesn't win game of the year.

Really not sure I'm gonna play through in 1999 mode as I was originally planning since that final fight is pretty frustrating and I can't imagine how much harder it is in 1999.

Anyways incredible work Irrational.

Scratch

8 hours in, and I just defeat
Slate
. Is this about right? Or am I taking too long on the game?

it shouldn't matter how long you take. in fact, i suggest you take your time so you can really take in the environments.

for comparison though, i beat it in about 7 hours. but that's because i was rushing! don't be me!

Fjordson

Thats the only one. Youre still a good person.
Everything has been great, but that triple fight and one other section were such a drag for me.

The whole gunsmith section in Fink is the other. Where you're going back and forth through different tears and returning back to the gunsmith like four times before he finally ends up dead. Just like he was an hour earlier when you started running around Fink's area. Did not enjoy that.

The story is picking up, though. Some of the implications of it are starting to blow my mind.

Dylan

The
last part really dragged for me. I'm not sure why but throughout my playthrough anything where I had to hold down a button would randomly break, including melee finishers and the songbird calls at the end, which led me to have to redo the last fight a ton. BLeH.

kurahador

ARghhhhhhhhh...I accidentally clicked on spoiler thread...fuck me!!!

Why this game spoiler thread has similar formatting to OT??
Remove the official word at least mod!!!!

DatDude

Banned
8ZHgPdB.gif

"Oh girls, just want to have fun."

to be honest i have a gaming laptop, and a 360, question, is the game really that much better on pc?

It's prettier.

I don't know about better.

Posts like this baffle me. Why do you even need to ask? You have what you call a gaming laptop. You know what your laptop is capable of doing performance wise. You have a 360 and you know what it's capable of performance wise.

PC versions generally are stronger from a graphics and framerate perspective than consoles.

Yet we still get posts like this and threads about it.

OH MY GOD

HOW LONG IS THIS FUCKING FINAL BATTLE

I LITERALLY SPENT 40 MINUTES FIGHTING ONLY TO HAVE THE
CORE DESTROYED

HOW LONG IS THIS FUCKING BATTLE HODONFDGONFGODNFDGONGOF

I like riding the rails. I never played the early demo/early builds are people saying its scaled down or not as good in the final version?

SegaManAU

Gold Member
OH MY GOD

CORE DESTROYED

It shouldn't take that long...probably 20 mins.

There is a walk through on IGN if you need some assistance.

Papercuts

The
last part really dragged for me. I'm not sure why but throughout my playthrough anything where I had to hold down a button would randomly break, including melee finishers and the songbird calls at the end, which led me to have to redo the last fight a ton. BLeH.

I had some niggling issues with that as well. I would clearly hold the button down over the target, and nothing would happen which led to taking unneeded damage. I've also had this happen with Vigors on occassion, my crows and shock jockey had zero effect on an enemy right in front of my on a few occasions.

OH MY GOD

CORE DESTROYED

Make sure you take the Zepplins out, or else enemies will keep coming.

DatDude

Banned
I like riding the rails. I never played the early demo/early builds are people saying its scaled down or not as good in the final version?

well for what it's worth no one was able to play those early demo rails. it was all scripted anyway so i think the limited current gen hardware thwarted them to push towards where they wanted to go with the rail battles.

kurahador

Rails riding is pretty linear for the most part really.

Man...if this game was made for next gen, traversing between different parts of Columbia ala open world would've been possible.

Pein

Banned

me too, some crazy ass lock or safe.

Top Bottom