• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

GavinGT

Banned
Haven't bought this game yet, but how non-linear is the game?
Like Bioshock 1 or more linear?

Linear with large, expansive combat arenas and lots of side buildings. There are several points of no return that limit you from backtracking too far in any given area. At all times you can pop up a guide arrow that shows the critical path.

I'm definitely not trying to dissuade you.

I should have never made 1999 Mode as my first playthrough. : /

With that said...all three iterations of
Lady Comstock
are down.

Fuck that series of fights. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck it.

neoism

beat game......

tumblr_medzt2Zt6B1r02fsfo1_500.gif

neoism

Possession for less is great, and so is the crow trap one. Personally I think charge and return to sender are the most "OP" vigors but it partly depends on your gear. Shock Jockey is good when combined with Storm gear for instance.

As for weapons I used the hand cannon, shotgun, and sniper mostly. Works well with return to sender.

the last fight was fucking stupid though worse part of the game... took me 5 goddamn trys.. and I never got that one... :( found alot of them too.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I should have never made 1999 Mode as my first playthrough. : /

With that said...all three iterations of
Lady Comstock
are down.

Fuck that series of fights. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck it.

If any fight is incredibly difficult you are using the wrong combination of vigors and gear. I was having a ton of issues with
Lady Comstock
as well until I saw a tweet suggesting a certain gear setup. Tried that out and it was so much more fun.

My name GillianSeed79 and I think I have obsessive compulsive disorder. My Steam game time says that I have been playing for 26 hours. I have still not finished the game. Lest that hasn't sunk in - twenty six mother mother f-ing hours, or, in minutes, 1,560 minutes. And I have loved every minute. What is wrong with me? Is this even possible? Yes? Is it worth it? Probably n - sorry I just saw some cake and a hot dog underneath my couch. Anyway, okay, okay, I realize that I'm like the old guy that shows up at the mall when it opens to walk laps, but I swear I'm not stupid. Maybe it's some self-confidence thing where I have to look at things like four times just to make sure you people with that book learnin' aren't trying to pull a fast one on me. Just kidding, but really, I can't understand how people beat this in 8 to 12 hours or something.

Fjordson

Just finished. What a game. What. A. Game. Crazy ending.

And that song during the credits sequence! I've been listening to it on repeat for like minutes. Not posting it because it's a spoiler, but it's awesome.

Some of the combat sections bugged the hell out of me. Like, really really annoyed me, but I'm just not very good at shooters with a gamepad so whatever. Game was nearly perfect otherwise.

I just pray this sells a bunch of copies and that this isn't the last story-based first person game Ken Levine makes. His work is a pretty good representation of why I love video games.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished. What a game. What. A. Game. Crazy ending.

And that song during the credits sequence! I've been listening to it on repeat for like minutes. Not posting it because it's a spoiler, but it's awesome.

Some of the combat sections bugged the hell out of me. Like, really really annoyed me, but I'm just not very good at shooters with a gamepad so whatever. Game was nearly perfect otherwise.

I just pray this sells a bunch of copies and that this isn't the last story-based first person game Ken Levine makes. His work is a pretty good representation of why I love video games.
this has been me for the last couple days.

can't get that poignancy out of my head.

kurahador

11 hours now, and I just got into Plaza of Zeal. Fucking love this game.

God I hope I didn't miss any collectibles stuff after spending most of the time looking around.

Wolfie5

Just finished the game and WOW. Awesome game. Great ending. Definitely my GOTY so far.

Vigors I mostly used were pretty mixed between Devils Kiss, Shock Jockey, Possession, Murder of Crows and Charge. The others I didn´t bother using. Tried them once.

Nymerio

I watched some youtube video of this and felt like I played it wrong. I only used vigors and skylines occasionally. I usually just just stayed back and one shotted enemies with the carbine or sniper.

Anyway, so far this would be my GOTY. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

2013 is off to a truly excellent start. This, Metal Gear Rising, Year Walk, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 2, even the Citadel DLC for ME3 was a hoot.

ArynCrinn

Banned
R71jkHx.png

ep5gOJQ.png

vdck0jF.png

AZETTwG.png

All these items are already in the game, including the exclusive shotgun! You just have to alter config files to unlock them. Anyway, FYI.

paully

Banned
I'm about 4 hrs in. I have to say, I'm really disappointed so far. I expected Infinite to surpass Bioshock 1, and I (oddly) find the gameplay to be frustrating and boring. I
actually liked 1's gameplay much more.

Infinite's gameplay relies on rampant shooting and firepower whereas 1 relied on very focused strategy.

The story and atmosphere are incredible, though. It's just annoying how the gameplay isn't getting in the way of this great world.

I'm just hoping the gameplay gets better because this was one of my most anticipated games of all time, and I'm simply too frustrated with the gameplay to move on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Folks, do familiarity with Bioshock 1 and 2 required to appreciate this game? I am really excited to play this game but I have never seriously played the previous 2 save for maybe half an hour each just fooling around. If playing and finishing those 2 are really gonna impact my appreciation towards this one, then I'll hold off playing this and make those 2 games my next play-it-to-the-end project.

54-46!

Folks, do familiarity with Bioshock 1 and 2 required to appreciate this game? I am really excited to play this game but I have never seriously played the previous 2 save for maybe half an hour each just fooling around. If playing and finishing those 2 are really gonna impact my appreciation towards this one, then I'll hold off playing this and make those 2 games my next play-it-to-the-end project.
They're not required at all, you might appreciate some minor details a bit more but the story is completely unrelated.

But you should still play Bioshock because it's a better game than Infinite.

It's not essential but I recommend playing Bioshock 1 first.

NotUS

But you should still play Bioshock because it's a better game than Infinite.
After finishing Infinite I decided to play Bioshock 1 again, and seriously what a game. It's a classic shooter with style and definitely much more challenging, gunplay is just so good.

Really loved Infinite, didn't feel it's gunplay was as good, but using the skyline in combat was awesome.

The world, Elizabeth, the story, the sense of awe were just amazing in Infinite, whilst Bioshock 1 was more creepy, almost like a survival horror game in some parts. Big Daddy's kick major ass!

The world, Elizabeth, the story, the sense of awe were just amazing in Infinite, whilst Bioshock 1 was more creepy, almost like a survival horror game in some parts. Big Daddy's kick major ass!

I'd say HMs handily beat out BDs. I'm more scared of HMs, and they're tougher to beat.

The core gameplay is really not doing it for me so far (about 5 or 6 hours in). It's weird because I'm generally a pretty big fan of shooters but for some reason the combat in Infinite just hasn't really clicked with me. I also hate the failure mechanic because: 1) I'd rather redo a few minutes of a section than lose money because it's less frustrating and 2) I don't feel any satisfaction from beating a section of the game that I "died" in a time or two.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

It's not necessary at all, but I'd play BioShock first either way.

I feel like replaying BS1 and jumping into 2 on pc, too bad they're both still €20 on Steam.

I also hate the failure mechanic because: 1) I'd rather redo a few minutes of a section than lose money because it's less frustrating and 2) I don't feel any satisfaction from beating a section of the game that I "died" in a time or two.

Restart checkpoint if you die? I know, you're not following the intended design of the game, but I started doing it on my 1999 run and it felt better. I don't like the revive thing either, for the exact reasons you mentioned. And you end up with more money to spend.

completely optional. I though bioshock was over rated (still great but over rated) and bioshock 2 I couldnt get far due to the same location being boring for me to explore.

so I almost didnt get bioshock infinite, but I LOVE it. amazing game.

wow so having restarted on 1999 mode, am having a blast so far. I get to play as a short-range vanguard right at the start with a 3 meter melee extended melee lunge attack and a 70% shock/stun effect. feels like a totally different game.

I picked up the season pass yesterday for the bonus stuff, I was concerned since I had just entered the location where the gear is supposed to appear only very early spoiler
the BR restaurant where you pick up your shield but it worked and I saw the 5 infusions and the gear. it wont let you leave the room past the lady until you picked up the bonus items. it may be that if you had got past this part already, you wont be able to get the items

Andrew.

Banned
wow so having restarted on 1999 mode, am having a blast so far. I get to play as a short-range vanguard right at the start with a 3 meter melee extended melee lunge attack and a 70% shock/stun effect. feels like a totally different game.

We're making Mass Effect references for Infinite now? Really?

I love playing as a rogue Biotic with ghost soldiers

One thing this game needs to get major props for is it remembering exactly where you leave weapons and traps, and always keeping them there. They never disappear. I was running aorund Emporia, loading and reloading sections, and traps I had laid before (such as inside the bank) never magically erased. I placed a sniper rifle in an safe area for use later and when I needed it, BAM it was still right where I left it.

ced

The Handyman encounters suck, unless you use crows on them they are a fucking nightmare, there is no strategy to use on them.

I'm really not enjoying the combat at all, there have been a few encounters here and there where it started to click and be fun, but for the most part it's a drag IMO. I preferred Bioshock's to this one.

Andrew.

Banned
The Handyman encounters suck, unless you use crows on them they are a fucking nightmare, there is no strategy to use on them.

I'm really not enjoying the combat at all, there have been a few encounters here and there where it started to click and be fun, but for the most part it's a drag IMO. I preferred Bioshock's to this one.

There are simple methods to take down each Handyman encounter without much stress. There is plenty of strategy involved, especially in the battles against #2 and #3. The first battle can be completely cheesed.

Didn't have much trouble with them on hard to be honest. Cleared the first 2 without dying. I actually enjoyed those fights because they forced me to be constantly on the move.

cackhyena

I'm about 4 hrs in. I have to say, I'm really disappointed so far. I expected Infinite to surpass Bioshock 1, and I (oddly) find the gameplay to be frustrating and boring. I

Infinite's gameplay relies on rampant shooting and firepower whereas 1 relied on very focused strategy.

The story and atmosphere are incredible, though. It's just annoying how the gameplay isn't getting in the way of this great world.

I'm just hoping the gameplay gets better because this was one of my most anticipated games of all time, and I'm simply too frustrated with the gameplay to move on.

Are you serious? I went through 1 with mostly using shock and the wrench exclusively. I've varied it up much more so here, and the skyhook has opened it up even more beyond the bigger arenas you fight in. 1's combat had the scare/pop out effect of "oh shit, hit it with something" more often than not for me. Infinite has me thinking of ways to change it up more.

Kikarian

I didn't find them to be too much of a struggle. I just used combo's with the Vigors, which seemed to take them down quick enough.

Fjordson

I can't believe I missed 11 Voxophones. Shit. I felt like I combed every inch of the game. Gonna have to find the ones I missed on YouTube or something.

Andrew.

Banned
I can't believe I missed 11 Voxophones. Shit. I felt like I combed every inch of the game. Gonna have to find the ones I missed on YouTube or something.

There are a few that appear in areas youve visted after (mid game spoilers)
you start tearing into other dimensions. Specifically theres an extra one inside Chen Lins and theres two that appear at the Graveyard Bar.

big_z

im probably 80% to the end and the gameplay doesnt change. in bioshock or even system shock 2 you are brought into a world that has gone to shit and have to avoid or fight your way through whatever else still remains roaming in that world. in infinite it feels like youre always triggering a quake 3 battle. enemies dont really roam around they simply wait until you get to a certain point then attack while others spawn in. its like enjoying an interesting book then having a super bowl after party appear for a few minutes before getting back to the book. neither the combat or atmosphere/world are bad on their own but the meshing of them here pulls me out quite often and for that reason the game isnt clicking the way i had hoped.

cackhyena

im probably 80% to the end and the gameplay doesnt change. in bioshock or even system shock 2 you are brought into a world that has gone to shit and have to avoid or fight your way through whatever else still remains roaming in that world. in infinite it feels like youre always triggering a quake 3 battle. enemies dont really roam around they simply wait until you get to a certain point then attack while others spawn in. its like enjoying an interesting book then having a super bowl after party appear for a few minutes before getting back to the book. neither the combat or atmosphere/world are bad on their own but the meshing of them here pulls me out quite often and for that reason the game isnt clicking the way i had hoped.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't you always have to engage enemies in Bioshock? Maybe bypassing Big Daddies if you wanted to? I'm confused as to why people think it's so different here. You only see where they are coming in from because things aren't pitch black a lot of the time. Pretty sure they just sat there or walked from one end of the hallway to the other in 1. Nothing special that's missing here. You just get to see behind the curtain easier with the lights turned on.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

not having played them will make you appreciate Infinite a lot more

Andrew.

Banned

Play the original first. Dont worry about 2.

big_z

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't you always have to engage enemies in Bioshock? Maybe bypassing Big Daddies if you wanted to? I'm confused as to why people think it's so different here. You only see where they are coming in from because things aren't pitch black a lot of the time. Pretty sure they just sat there or walked from one end of the hallway to the other in 1. Nothing special that's missing here. You just get to see behind the curtain easier with the lights turned on.

you dont have to kill everything in bioshock. you definitely dont have to in system shock 2.
sure the AI had patrol paths in those games but they would break out of them to investigate a noise and you could even hide while they looked. infinite doesnt have this at all. if you make a noise like breaking a window or possessing a vending machine it's always guaranteed combat even if the nearest enemy is hundreds of feet away. in the older shock games you could take out a stray enemy without alerting the rest. not possible in this one. this time its a few enemies standing there waiting for you to hit the trigger point which allows the rest to spawn in and everyone attacks. they all know exactly where you are as soon as the game switches into a fight too. people say it's very different because it is.

Top Bottom