• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
GIS9jSu.png

YES! Finally got it, the final battle with all the ships and the bird was ridiculous though.

BTW, is there any gameplay/story difference between choosing the bird or cage pin for Elizabeth?

Wow, I didn't even bother to look up what the Scavenger achievement was.

Dollar Bill was kind of a waste of money considering you need $100 to respawn. I think I only managed to afford 3 or 4 Vigor upgrades...shit's expensive on 1999 (or rather, they don't give you a whole lot of money)

It sucks when you spend a lockpick on a safe that turns out to be $190 lol

Dead

well not really...yet
At some points youllf find enough lockpicks to not worry about it.

Its a shame there is no new game+ Ill never touch 1999 mode due to that. Next playthrough will be on Normal.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've tried to avoid that breadcrumb arrow to the point where I forgot it existed. If I would have remembered it I would have used it there. I'm just bummed I ended up on the ground. Would have liked another chance to escape.

God, please tell me this is a not a freaking spoiler.

the web site should give you a code to redeem.i redeemed mine on xbox.com. it's just a 108kb DLC unlock

Thanks!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anybody else feel a disconnect between the voice actor for Comstock and the image you see of him throughout the game? I like the acting, he just sounds like a totally different type, and too young...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
At some points youllf find enough lockpicks to not worry about it.

Its a shame there is no new game+ Ill never touch 1999 mode due to that. Next playthrough will be on Normal.

Dude 1999 is not that tough. Play it :) And I know what you mean about lockpicks, the game just throws them at you en masse for like the last 25%. I think I ended with 15 O_O

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I just started this and really want to get into it but...is there a way to disable the open-the-door re-spawning? It reminds me too much of the vita-chambers from Bioshock and I hate that it removes most consequences of dying.

Also, that PC Gamer article I read about hard mode being more rewarding was really stupid advice IMO. There is nothing fun about having to shoot dudes point-blank in the face 3+ times to get them to go down.

Sullichin

Anyone else experience boss enemies dying out of nowhere when they had a ton of health left? Happened on the two handymen so far and the
Lady Comstock graveyard encounter
. Not really complaining about the latter because it's my least favorite part of the game, but it's kinda dumb to play on 1999 mode and have some of the hardest enemies kill themselves.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone else experience boss enemies dying out of nowhere when they had a ton of health left? Happened on the two handymen so far and the
Lady Comstock graveyard encounter
. Not really complaining about the latter because it's my least favorite part of the game, but it's kinda dumb to play on 1999 mode and have some of the hardest enemies kill themselves.
It happened to me on the 2nd
___Lady Comstock fight, in the bank____
. It was really wierd.

Sullichin

so in 1999 mode, when you die is it over or you just restart from a checkpoint?

If you have enough cash you're resurrected but all enemies that were still alive have all of their health back. When you run out of cash you're booted to the title screen and have to restart from the last save.

LiK

If you have enough cash you're resurrected but all enemies that were still alive have all of their health back. When you run out of cash you're booted to the title screen and have to restart from the last checkpoint.

oh, doesn't sound too bad at all.

Dead

well not really...yet
To me it felt like money was tight. Most of the Vigor upgrades were always out of my reach. Its why Id want a New Game+

I can't even blame dying a lot, as there were only a few times where I ended dying over and over again, and each of those times I ended up in an area with tons of money afterwards to make up for it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did anyone else finish the game with like, a fuckin billion lock picks? Did I just miss a ton of REALLY well hidden safes, or were there just a ton extra?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did anyone else finish the game with like, a fuckin billion lock picks? Did I just miss a ton of REALLY well hidden safes, or were there just a ton extra?

I had over 30. No idea why they start dumping so many on you as it's literally impossible to come close to using them all.

GavinGT

Banned
To me it felt like money was tight. Most of the Vigor upgrades were always out of my reach. Its why Id want a New Game+

I can't even blame dying a lot, as there were only a few times where I ended dying over and over again, and each of those times I ended up in an area with tons of money afterwards to make up for it.

I was able to fully upgrade six of the eight vigors and about half of the weapons, and that was on hard. I'm so used to being more than able to buy everything in these games that I found the tough choices it forced refreshing. In fact, it actually motivated me to play through the game a second time, since I'd avoided using certain vigors and weapons if they weren't upgraded. BTW, if you're not possessing every vending machine for extra cash, you're doing it wrong.

Their doling out of lockpicks, on the other hand, was handled sloppily. There was no reason to seek out as many as possible because you could always find enough within the currently explorable section to suffice. Plus, you could just buy them. I wanted to be rewarded for my persistence.

SmithnCo

Guys, what say you re: recommended vigors and weapons for a Hard run?

Possession for less is great, and so is the crow trap one. Personally I think charge and return to sender are the most "OP" vigors but it partly depends on your gear. Shock Jockey is good when combined with Storm gear for instance.

As for weapons I used the hand cannon, shotgun, and sniper mostly. Works well with return to sender.

Toa TAK

Banned
so beating 1999 mode will unlock all the other difficulty achievements right? gonna play 1999 on the 360.

Yes.

I just finished 1999 mode, including beating it without any vending machine visits from Dollar Bill. Last two achievements I needed. Now to bring on the DLC.

Honestly, though, it was the easiest "Hard" difficulty I've played in any game.

Lady Comstock was down in seconds
, the Handymen in the game were far more challenging and harder to beat. I even got the final bit
with Songbird
in one go. Always had enough money and was never reverted back to the screen.

Still a lot of fun though. I just wished I could play around with fully upgraded vigors some more. For the most part, I didn't want to upgrade so many because of money=# of deaths and all.

I went on this mode with fully upgraded shields and salts. Health wasn't a big deal because the gears were a huge help in that field.

Now I just wish there was more to do. ;_;

I think I'm at the end. Expectations have been surpassed, now I'm just hoping for a great endgame and story conclusion. I have to admit though I have no idea what's going on at this point.

Guys, what say you re: recommended vigors and weapons for a Hard run?

Fully upgraded Murder of Crows is pretty much essential. You'll likely want to combine it with Possession (with the Possession for Less upgrade) or Shock Jockey because pretty much anything that can't be Crowed is either useful being Possessed or vulnerable to lightning. If you don't like Murder of Crows, Bucking Bronco is the best alternative because it similarly immobilizes groups of enemies and can be chained with upgrades.

You'll also want to keep Undertow on hand when you're outside because if you're quick enough during Skyline segments, you can zip up to an enemy barge and Undertow all the enemies into oblivion before they even get a chance to attack. It's also useful at bringing snipers right up to you and blowing them away because they can one-shot you if you're not careful and low on health.

GavinGT

Banned
Possession for less is great, and so is the crow trap one. Personally I think charge and return to sender are the most "OP" vigors but it partly depends on your gear. .

What's the proper way to use Charge? I only used it a few times, during which I didn't seem to do a ton of damage and always ended up almost dying.

And I think a quick tap of Undertow is the most powerful. It can instakill like half the enemies (tons of dudes stand close to drops) and doesn't cost much in salt. The tradeoff is you miss out on the loot, but there's plenty of that to go around.

SmithnCo

What's the proper way to use Charge? I only used it a few times, during which I didn't seem to do a ton of damage and always ended up almost dying.

Some good gear for charge... Blood to Salt (gives you salt for kill at a 40% rate), Vampire's Embrace (health on kills), and fire/electric punch. Upgrading it is also a help obviously because it will replenish your shield.

Undertow is great too, I found it to be the most fun to use. Loved pulling dudes in to melee them.

LiK

Yes.

I just finished 1999 mode, including beating it without any vending machine visits from Dollar Bill. Last two achievements I needed. Now to bring on the DLC.

Honestly, though, it was the easiest "Hard" difficulty I've played in any game.

Lady Comstock was down in seconds
, the Handymen in the game were far more challenging and harder to beat. I even got the final bit
with Songbird
in one go. Always had enough money and was never reverted back to the screen.

Still a lot of fun though. I just wished I could play around with fully upgraded vigors some more. For the most part, I didn't want to upgrade so many because of money=# of deaths and all.

I went on this mode with fully upgraded shields and salts. Health wasn't a big deal because the gears were a huge help in that field.

Now I just wish there was more to do. ;_;

what were your fave Vigors and weapons?

If you're going to use Charge, you have to optimize your gear for melee and also have the Charge recharges your shield and gives you invulnerability upgrade. If you do that, you can Charge it, set enemies on fire, stun them, regain health, and be invulnerable while recharging your shield all at once. But if you don't have the right gear, it's not as useful.

Fully upgraded Murder of Crows is pretty much essential. You'll likely want to combine it with Possession (with the Possession for Less upgrade) or Shock Jockey because pretty much anything that can't be Crowed is either useful being Possessed or vulnerable to lightning. If you don't like Murder of Crows, Bucking Bronco is the best alternative because it similarly immobilizes groups of enemies and can be chained with upgrades.

You'll also want to keep Undertow on hand when you're outside because if you're quick enough during Skyline segments, you can zip up to an enemy barge and Undertow all the enemies into oblivion before they even get a chance to attack. It's also useful at bringing snipers right up to you and blowing them away because they can one-shot you if you're not careful and low on health.

Fuck. I have not even thought to do half the shit you just alluded to. Awesome.

I didn't use Crows much first time through. What's its fully upgraded potential like?

Cheers, all.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I didn't use Crows much first time through. What's its fully upgraded potential like?

Cheers, all.

Dead bodies create more Crow Traps....useful for the end game.

GavinGT

Banned
Murder of Crows followed by Devil's Kiss, both fully upgraded, was my go-to combo. I don't get using Bucking Bronco over Murder of Crows. I just used Bucking Bronco on guys that were behind cover.

Cheers, all.

Every time you kill an enemy that's currently being attacked by crows, a crow trap falls where the corpse is, which can immobilize more enemies. And if you get the other upgrade which makes the crows last longer you can basically keep entire groups of enemies chained and immobile as long as you're killing at least one at a time.

The boost lasts long enough that in 1999 mode I can keep a Handyman occupied for about five seconds, also known as three Hand Cannon shots, before I have to Crow him again. Very useful.

I don't get using Bucking Bronco over Murder of Crows. I just used Bucking Bronco on guys that were behind cover.

The best part about Bucking Bronco is the anti-grav. You can hit a guy and send him over the edge, so when gravity returns he falls to his death. You can essentially use it as Undertow before you get Undertow. It's also handy against the Crow Heavy Hitters since you can't Crow them, but you can suspend them in midair and beat the crap out of them.

EDIT: Oh, also, it's freaking cheap, which is another advantage. If you get the boost upgrade, one or two Bucking Broncos can immobilize a whole field of enemies at barely any cost to you.

Ce-Lin

Murder of Crows followed by Devil's Kiss, both fully upgraded, was my go-to combo. I don't get using Bucking Bronco over Murder of Crows. I just used Bucking Bronco on guys that were behind cover.

murder of crows + charge + 70% chance of burning mele gear = a walk in the park, basically you freeze almost any enemy of the game and dispatch them like a boss with Charge, works like a charm on Patriots and Handy Men. Also B.Bronco/D.Kiss + Chain Upgrade + Overkill gear = autowin, no matter the number of enemies on screen.

malfcn

What happens if you have no money and die?
If you reload a chapter what happens to your money and things?

And I totally forgot about possessing all the vendors.

SmithnCo

What happens if you have no money and die?
If you reload a chapter what happens to your money and things?

And I totally forgot about possessing all the vendors.

Depends, on most modes you respawn normally, on 1999 you have to start your last save over.

Toa TAK

Banned
what were your fave Vigors and weapons?

Favorite weapon was the Shotgun. As long as I had that I was set. The secondary would change depending on the situation, but if I had ammo around, the machine gun.

Vigors would change a lot depending on the situation as well. But during the first 2/3rds in, I mainly used Bucking Bronco, Possession, and Shock Jockey. Towards the end, I had the Return to Sender and Charge in almost constant use.

LiK

Favorite weapon was the Shotgun. As long as I had that I was set. The secondary would change depending on the situation, but if I had ammo around, the machine gun.

Vigors would change a lot depending on the situation as well. But during the first 2/3rds in, I mainly used Bucking Bronco, Possession, and Shock Jockey. Towards the end, I had the Return to Sender and Charge in almost constant use.

I only used Return to Sender once. Seems like a lot of guys like it.

Dresden

first run (hard) - Shock Jockey, Possession

second run (1999) - Bronco/Devil's Kiss, then just Charge, Charge, Charge

Kinda wish I'd used Murder of Crows and Undertow more, fun abilities.

Toa TAK

Banned

It's my favorite, I just wish we got it earlier. For me, it's one of the most useful, especially when faced with multiple enemies firing at you. Saves your shields and health, too.

didamangi

Finally got that 1 stupid Kinetoscope that I missed.

1999 and Scavenger Hunt is easier than I thought, max vigor and shield and ignoring health really helped bring down the difficulty. Only have problems with
you guess it, lady comstock ghost fights. Fully upgrade charge and vox heater takes care of that quickly though.

If you have your salts maxed out you can just walk around like nothing spamming it and shooting everyone in the face.
The last area on Comstock's ship, before the final battle, consisted of me simply running up to dudes and shooting them without me worrying about health or shields

Kajiba

Had it maxed out alot way before the end. I was checking nook and cranny for safes on every level.

Top Bottom