• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Torraz

It feels incredibly polished in its mechanics and visuals. But it's not scary or creepy in the slightest, nor does it try to be (with one memorable exception). If Bioshock 1 is a game of darkness, Bioshock Infinite is a game of light. In terms of tone, it feels more like a Halo game or a military shooter. Not a lot of tension or scares.

That sounds great.

WatTsu

I agree. And we do it all the time when we play games, especially violent ones.

But the folks at Irrational are taking players and designers to task for doing so. In Infinite, they ask a big question: what is it we are willfully ignoring, overlooking, or forgetting when we just "shut up and shoot"? They're indicting us as players and game designers for wanting to just "wash away our sins" and open fire without thinking about the larger historical forces that lead to those violent acts. Like I said, those opening few hours are brilliant.

But then they fall victim to their own critique, forgetting about the relationship between mechanics (acts of violence) and thematics (the history of violence/the violence of history), just as Booker does. And we as players are expected to "wash away our sins," as well. It's so close to being an absolutely brilliant game, but it falls short by falling victim to its own critique.

Same thing happened with the first game, arguably. It was a critique of the inflexibility of choice in many games yet in order to finish it you had to do what the game said; your only recourse was not to play.

The problem with trying to aim high is sometimes you don't see the ground you're standing on is shaky. And I say this as someone who thinks these games are near-perfect masterpieces (all 3 of them).

I'd rather have a game that tries to make a point and gets undercut by the limitation of game design than a sea of games that don't have much to think about at all.

water1111

Banned
I finished my 1999 scavenger play through and the only hard parts
were ghost bitch in the graveyard, only because I thought could rush in and blow her fucking head off with the shotgun and cannon gun but I just was calm and waited for her to come to me and she died quite easily, the last fight with the zeppelins were pretty easy

royalan

I want to buy and play the fuck out of this game, hard and lubeless, just from the amount of Buzz I've read about it and heard from friends. And the game looks simply stunning.

But I'm a shooter novice, and I haven't played the first two Bioshock games.

Does the first BioShock hold up well, from the position of someone playing it for the first time in 2013 and not having the strongest grasp of FPS games? I kind of feel like I should play it first.

DatDude

Banned
I want to buy and play the fuck out of this game, hard and lubeless, just from the amount of Buzz I've read about it and heard from friends. And the game looks simply stunning.

But I'm a shooter novice, and I haven't played the first two Bioshock games.

Does the first BioShock hold up well, from the position of someone playing it for the first time in 2013 and not having the strongest grasp of FPS games? I kind of feel like I should play it first.

On easy even your grandma can play it.

conman

Same thing happened with the first game, arguably. It was a critique of the inflexibility of choice in many games yet in order to finish it you had to do what the game said; your only recourse was not to play.

The problem with trying to aim high is sometimes you don't see the ground you're standing on is shaky. And I say this as someone who thinks these games are near-perfect masterpieces (all 3 of them).

I'd rather have a game that tries to make a point and gets undercut by the limitation of game design than a sea of games that don't have much to think about at all.
Absolutely.

But just because a big-budget game deserves credit for what it does and for what it tries to do, that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to expect more. It's an unfortunate reality that most big-budget games still feel the need to sacrifice coherent thematic critique in order to sell. Games as a medium will truly have arrived when designers no longer feel the need to make that sacrifice, when they can serve both masters at the same time. We're very, very close. Closer in this generation than ever before. And it is games like Infinite that are bringing that reality closer to fruition. But we're not quite there.

Finished this one up last night. What an amazing ride/tour/experience. Lush with color and scale and artistry and darkness and exciting moments.

I'm left feeling that the game's formula doesn't really serve the story well, and vice versa. Vigors and combat not only wove into the previous Bioshocks better, but I felt that I could and had to be far more creative in the earlier games.

Shooting is fine, but outside exploring the lovingly crafted environments and listening to audio logs, the majority of my time was in combat or looting, neither of which really draw me to this game or leave me with fond memories.

I hope they ditch this gameplay formula almost entirely in their next games.

stuminus3

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this... a couple of nights ago I sat down for some game time and decided I couldn't be bothered playing BioShock Infinite and decided to chill with some Mario Kart 7 instead.

I loaded up my MK7 and saw this.

dz7zV0m.jpg

:-O

Lombax

Banned
Quick question. I remember hearing somewhere [bombcast perhaps] that someone was able to pull all the songs out of the PC game files and put them up somewhere. Anyone happen to have a link to the music?

I give up on 1999 mode. This is stupidly hard. I guess I just suck as a gamer, but, I can't even get past the starting area. System Shock 2 was nowhere near this difficult, nor were any games this hard. Maybe it was on hard, I dunno.

Lexxon

Finished the game tonight. Wow, what a ride. Will be diving into the spoiler thread for sure.

I somewhat agree with the whole vibe of the game being thrown off somewhat by the combat and such. This was most evident to me during the opening, and I think this is early enough that I don't need spoilers...(but will do anyways just to be super safe--it's only about the first 30-60 min of the game!)

But essentially when you get 'discovered' and attacked, and you immediately mash a guard's face into your melee weapon, blood EVERYWHERE. Before that the game had this really nice atmosphere, cool setting...while I understand why it was done and it does really get the player into 'combat mode', it was quite a jarring move from peaceful, nice looking introduction to OMG GORE.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, fixing the idiotically small FOV makes such a huge difference. I wish I didn't wait until so far into the game to finally do that.

I give up on 1999 mode. This is stupidly hard. I guess I just suck as a gamer, but, I can't even get past the starting area. System Shock 2 was nowhere near this difficult, nor were any games this hard. Maybe it was on hard, I dunno.

Its really not that difficult at all, in fact the beginning when you have little to no vigors makes it probably a little harder than the other sections. Possession makes this mode quite easy especially when you have it upgraded with "more for less". Also when you use the right gear, the bosses are an absolute cakewalk.

In 1999 mode for the final fight, do things.you destroy come back if you happen to get killed?
I dont believe so. Then again, I used Winter shield which means I died literally once in the whole fight (and from my own stupidity). If you manage to pick that gear up, you've basically beaten the game on any mode.

Its really not that difficult at all, in fact the beginning when you have little to no vigors makes it probably a little harder than the other sections. Possession makes this mode quite easy especially when you have it upgraded with "more for less". Also when you use the right gear, the bosses are an absolute cakewalk.

Well, I guess I'm just a terrible gamer then. This is way too hard.

Trust me, im shocking at FPS games haha.

That part at the start when you dont have a shield is a pain. After that, its just tactics. Use possession then hide, when your shield is down, hide. Any infusions just upgrade towards your shields and salts. Just make sure you pick up the gear along the way and save money for vigor upgrades, full possession and full charge (this makes that 3 times fight extremely easy). People have upgraded other vigors and its suited them but this made 1999 really easy for me. Only upgrade the weapons which suit your style I guess. The game actually gets easier as you go along at least it did for me.

Gold_Loot

I had no idea idea you could play this with the Move. How well does it work?

Been playing it with the Move for a few days now, and it's pretty damned good. I would say it's comparable to the Resistance 3 support. Go with custom controls, and turn the sensitivety all the way down, and you're good to go.

RDreamer

Charge Vigor mixed with melee gear is so satisfying. I've got a hat that gives a 70% chance that the target is set ablaze,Melee strikes against staggered enemies add 60% chance to crit/ victims take 25% more damage when struck coat, melee kills give health boots, and melee targets briefly vulnerable victim takes 2x damage for 5 seconds pants.

Things just fucking explode. And if they don't, they get a shotgun to the head.

Syrinx

Beat it.

I'm gonna head over to the spoiler thread cause I'm having trouble seeing how that makes any sense at all, especially since people said this leaves few or no stones unturned.

Holy shit. Stuck on a certain boss on 1999 mode.

L.C's Spirit..

Help????
Get on every melee based gear that you have (especially burning halo if youve got it), equip a shotgun or some kinda heavy hitter, use charge (would be great if youve got this upgraded) and just keep whacking da boss, charging da boss, shotgunning da boss and hope for the best. Makes it very easy and Should be over quite quickly.

NeoUltima

Holy shit. Stuck on a certain boss on 1999 mode.

L.C's Spirit..

Help????

Basically I found return to sender (upgraded salt use) to be key on the first and third battle. The graveyard fight I just ran around and took pot shots at here, and used return to sender to protect and defend myself, and throw it at her if she came close. Graveyard fight is the hardest for sure, because it is a huge open area with no good place to camp out. I'd also recommend grabbing the volleygun near the tombstones and unloading that on her as soon as the fight starts. Easy ~25% off her life. In the bank fight you can just stay inside the vault and snipe her to death. On the third battle, just run up to her, use return to sender (it should be very powerful charged up because so many enemies near her to absorb bullets from), while simultaneously unloading all your ammo into her. She will probably die before or just as you run out of salts.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Charge Vigor mixed with melee gear is so satisfying. I've got a hat that gives a 70% chance that the target is set ablaze,Melee strikes against staggered enemies add 60% chance to crit/ victims take 25% more damage when struck coat, melee kills give health boots, and melee targets briefly vulnerable victim takes 2x damage for 5 seconds pants.

Things just fucking explode. And if they don't, they get a shotgun to the head.

Yes THIS! Loved this setup. I actually rolled with the Heater for a bit just to see how that would work. It was nasty!

It's better to start on Hard mode and play through once, and then do 1999 mode. I did 1999 mode on my second playthrough and I hated the beginning. I died more in the first couple hours than I did the entire rest of the game on 1999. But I also knew exactly what to do from my first runthrough.

marjo

So I just found out that Jennifer Hale was the voice actor for Rosalind Lutece. I never would have guessed that. She really did an outstanding job.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm done attempting this awful final sequence in infinite.

Someone tell me where i can get an easy save game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

What gear, weapons and vigors are you using? Maybe we can help you get a better load out that helps.
Or if that doesn't help you could watch a couple of vids on YouTube to see stragety

foxdvd

Drop 3 return to sender shields on the thing you have to protect at the start...use the bird to take out the first ship...once the patriots spawn...go to top of ship and use undertow to pull one up...then go back down to kill the other patriot...at this point only use bird to take out big ships...wait till bird recharges..go up to kill patriot...repeat on next group..on 1999 the blue bar never got hurt because of those return to sender shields

whitehawk

Banned
Is there a limit on how many lockpicks you can carry? I have 30 right now, I see one, and it won't let me pick it up. There's aren't enough doors to unlock in this game. I search every nook and cranny and somehow I still have 30 lockpics :(

I'm replaying Bioshock right now and while I love that game I think infinite is a little better "game" I hate the wax museum feel of infinite but rapture kind of feels the same way with splicers just popping up in places. I don't know both cities are so awesome.

At the end of the day.... God bless Ken Levine.

paully

Banned
Just beat what I think was the last battle. The story sequence afterwards is BLOWING MY FUCKING MIND. HOLY SHIT. This game is fucking incredible atm, and all my frustrations with the gameplay have been forgotten. WOW

The ending chapter
This feels like something out of LOST. The music, the atmosphere, the questions.

edit: oh my god.

edit edit: what the motherfuck just happened. WHAT THE FUCK

edit edit edit: WHAAAAAAT???????????????

this is the best video game story I've ever seen. Holy shit .

amazing credit sequence too. Well done, Irrational.

Been playing it with the Move for a few days now, and it's pretty damned good. I would say it's comparable to the Resistance 3 support. Go with custom controls, and turn the sensitivety all the way down, and you're good to go.
I regret not getting this game on the PS3 now. I loved using the Move for R3.

DatDude

Banned
Just beat what I think was the last battle. The story sequence afterwards is BLOWING MY FUCKING MIND. HOLY SHIT. This game is fucking incredible atm, and all my frustrations with the gameplay have been forgotten. WOW

The ending chapter
This feels like something out of LOST. The music, the atmosphere, the questions.

edit: oh my god.

edit edit: what the motherfuck just happened. WHAT THE FUCK

edit edit edit: WHAAAAAAT???????????????

this is the best video game story I've ever seen. Holy shit .

amazing credit sequence too. Well done, Irrational.

this music should've been playing during the ending scenes/credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nH1rCXv36A

;)

Top Bottom