• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Tell me if I'm wrong but was it Kratos VA (TC Carson)
the man giving a speech at The Shantytown
?

He is listed as 'Additional Voices' for the game and I believe you're right. Does sound like him.

I've only been playing Bioshock Infinite since Friday and I'm completely in awe of it.

However there are a few things that bother me, there's no subtitles for the tapes despite there being subtitles for everything else?! I know that you can read the transcripts but as a deaf gamer that has really pissed me off.

I'm getting locked 60 fps with everything on max but I occasionally get a dip in the frame rate when I'm entering a new area, is this normal? My specs are:

CPU - Intel Core i7 3820, 3.6Ghz
Overclock - 4.4Ghz
RAM - Corsair Memory Dominator Platinum 16GB 2000 MHz
GPU - 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified

I'm running it in full HD.

Varna

Finished it just now. Been playing for about the last five or so hours... yeah, it had me pretty enthralled. It's a very good game and it has pretty good mix of just about everything (though wave enemies are a bit on the high side).

Played it in 1999 mode and found it mostly manageable. The only section that gave me problems was the
Lady Comstock
battles. Those were just brutal and I had to cheese my way through them by buying from machines mid battle. I like how the game really did attempt to give you many options for combat; Skyhooks/lines, turrents and different covers to activate. Pretty good stuff. I definitely counted on jumping around to keep my shields up. The upgrade system is so poorly realized though. I was really cautious about spending my money that I just kept on saving it... until the end of the game. I only upgraded the machine gun through a discount vendor and maxed out the jolt vigor. But vigors are so ridiculously OP it doesn't even matter if you put anything into them.

whitehawk

Banned
Play on hard mode they said. It will be fun they said.

Im stuck at the part where
I'm on the airship and I'm using the song bird to attack airships and whatnot. Holy shit. They've destroyed the ship at least 4 times now. I don't know how I'm going to do this.

Guess Who

Banned
Play on hard mode they said. It will be fun they said.

Im stuck at the part where
I'm on the airship and I'm using the song bird to attack airships and whatnot. Holy shit. They've destroyed the ship at least 4 times now. I don't know how I'm going to do this.

Return to Sender traps on the airship core might help.

televator

Yeah I definitely suck at the combat in this game. Just something about it... I couldn't really get into the groove with it. The crazy variety of enemies all at once just fucks up any approach I try to come up with. A lot of the time I couldn't even figure out who was shooting me.

Also the sky hook was not always responsive, and the brutal melee finisher is a bitch to pull off.

Moxx19

Banned
Is anyone else's game getting that window coming up about not saving properly on PC? I moved my old save files so that I could start a new game so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Orcastar

Been playing the game on hard and haven't found it challenging at all, but then I got to
the boss fight in Memorial Gardens.
Thanks for the ridiculous difficulty spike, Irrational. I was thinking of replaying the game in 1999 mode, but I'm definitely not gonna bother after this bullshit.

Enco

Yeah I definitely suck at the combat in this game. Just something about it... I couldn't really get into the groove with it. The crazy variety of enemies all at once just fucks up any approach I try to come up with. A lot of the time I couldn't even figure out who was shooting me.

Also the sky hook was not always responsive, and the brutal melee finisher is a bitch to pull off.
The fact that you couldn't attach to a skyline mid jump blew my mind.

So many awesome moments that could have been.

I want to jump off of a roof and attach to a skyline. Not aim from ground and then attach.

Pretty annoying.

bidguy

Banned
Been playing the game on hard and haven't found it challenging at all, but then I got to
the boss fight in Memorial Gardens.
Thanks for the ridiculous difficulty spike, Irrational. I was thinking of replaying the game in 1999 mode, but I'm definitely not gonna bother after this bullshit.

that part is easy as shit.
you can set up traps everywhere before the fight starts. stop whining

Orcastar

that part is easy as shit.
you can set up traps everywhere before the fight starts. stop whining

So it's easy as shit as long as I know that there's a huge boss fight incoming? It's easy as shit as long as I'm clairvoyant?

No, it's terrible game design, plain and simple.

So it's easy as shit as long as I know that there's a huge boss fight incoming? It's easy as shit as long as I'm clairvoyant?

It is a huge difficult spike first time through, but when playing again on 1999 mode, if you have the right Gears set-up, the Charge vigor fully upgraded and your salt bar maxed out, it's pretty easy.

Orcastar

It is a huge difficult spike first time through, but when playing again on 1999 mode, if you have the right Gears set-up, the Charge vigor fully upgraded and your salt bar maxed out, it's pretty easy.

I'm sure it is easy with the right gear, vigors and upgrades, but the point is that up until that point, the game has allowed me to play the way I want to play and then suddenly it throws a boss fight at me where the upgrades I've chosen are next to useless.

It's Deus Ex: Human Revolution all over again.

Given the pace this thread's going now, guess I should learn to finish games within the first week. Otherwise I miss more on some exciting discussion.

Will definitely be able to put some more time into Infinite this morning. Always itching to go back to it.

I'm sure it is easy with the right gear, vigors and upgrades, but the point is that up until that point, the game has allowed me to play the way I want to play and then suddenly it throws a boss fight at me where the upgrades I've chosen are next to useless.

It's Deus Ex: Human Revolution all over again.

Which Vigors?

Almost all Vigors work really well as traps. I think I went through the whole game by using Possession, Bronco and Undertow. Also used Shotgun and Carbine in about 90% of the game.

bidguy

Banned

phew i didnt know that dieing isnt allowed in this game. ever heard of something called learning from mistakes ? youre not supposed to breeze through this game on hard mode.

I love the setting, the visuals and sounds, but it's just another fps. I find it hard to care after killing the latest wave of clones. In my opinion the hype is overblown.

widgetraf

Steam is asking me to update my game, and its a 14GB update. It wants me to redownload the whole game. WTF.

Anyone else getting this?

If bought mine at retail, but its a steamworks title.

StuBurns

Banned
Steam is asking me to update my game, and its a 14GB update. It wants me to redownload the whole game. WTF.

Anyone else getting this?

If bought mine at retail, but its a steamworks title.
It's the Ultra texture pack most likely, not the same thing you've installed.

widgetraf

It's the Ultra texture pack most likely, not the same thing you've installed.

I've already been playing the game, I'm 10 hours into it. The update was just prompted when I started the game up now.

I don't have the best internet connection, hence why I opted to buy retail. This is really annoying.

FartOfWar

Banned
Apart from the very first fight I never used the skyhooks in battles again. They're too fast, can't aim for shit, can't dismount unless I slow down to the lowest speed. How are people doing it? Most of the time I had to wait until I crashed into a carriage to stop me before looking where to go next.

Pull back to brake to a near stop if you want, depending on the platform a second button reverses your direction (aka immelan), when you pull the aim-down-sights button your crosshairs will snap to the target and continue to lock on it while riding the lines.

kurahador

These
Lady Comstock fights
are fucking awful.

Actually the last third or so of this game has been awful.

First one is a little hard, yes. Keep laying those vigor traps.
The second, you can cheese it.
The last one is easy. Just keep summoning those mosquitoes to distract them and continue sniping.

Otherwise, try doing the charge+melee trick.

Lakitu

st5fu
These
Lady Comstock fights
are fucking awful.

Actually the last third or so of this game has been awful.

I didn't mind them if it weren't for the fact that
she kept reanimating her dead cronies over and over. Didn't feel like wasting precious vigors to keep them dead in the heat of the battle.
Although, I really enjoyed
the Emporia area in general,
one of my favourites in the game.

I really wish there was a new game +

I'd love to replay the game on easy with all my abilities. I just want to focus on the story but I'd also like to play around with the combat more.

No new game + will keep me from replaying this game for awhile.

spekkeh

Banned
I didn't mind them if it weren't for the fact that
she kept reanimating her dead cronies over and over. Didn't feel like wasting precious vigors to keep them dead in the heat of the battle.
Although, I really enjoyed
the Emporia area in general,
one of my favourites in the game.

Yeah basically I just kept shooting at
Lady Comstock
, when I got killed I'd keep doing it again, until
she
went down. I also found the ravens+firebomb vigor combo worked really well on
her cronies

Because of Infinite I stared Minerva's done (first time replaying it). You can definitely noticed the difference in the quality of the sound design, but other than that it's awesome. Will go back to it intermittently while I continue playing. I wonder what 2K Marin is up to nowadays...

Speaking of which, time for some Infinite.

Whoa, hang on here.

I just started replaying a new game of Infinite last night. Does the game erase your old saves as you go along to make way for the new saves?

I started playing in my new game and then later went back to watch the ending of my original game but it now seems to have lost my autosave from my new game.

Ugh... The save system is by far and away the worst part of Infinite. Its truly terrible.

Infinite has the same problems as the first game: One you find the right weapons and vigor combo, the game is a breeze. I'm breezing by with the just a shotgun and the
crows
vigor.

Was rolling with a handcannon and a Heater (which from what I've fired seems pretty cool) until I found an RPG from some exploring. Dropped the Heater.

Edit: Also found out that the
twins are the Luteces. Elizabeth said something about quantum mechanics by which point my attention waned a bit.

Top Bottom