• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

StuBurns

Banned
Infinite has the same problems as the first game: One you find the right weapons and vigor combo, the game is a breeze. I'm breezing by with the just a shotgun and the
crows
vigor.
On which difficulty? I don't think there's any need for the 'right' combination on normal, anything will do.

Yeah, I think (up to the point I'm playing) has avoided the problem of the first two BioShock games where you become too powerful and can mow anything and everything down.

Loving combing my vigors. Yesterday I found using Undertow to pull enemies into traps was awesome (Undertow is so much fun, by the way). Today it's using Bucking Bronco and, say, Shock Jockey or Devil's Kiss.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok so I'm finally to the giant ass fight on
Hand of the Prophet after killing Comstock and getting the Songbird's help
. I don't think I can do this on Hard. Once the
Vox Populi zeppelins start flying in with the patriots
everything goes to hell. I'm guessing I'm like at the very end of the game though so I'm trying to push through.

Got a question: Does anybody know what Tesla coils do? I can't figure it out.

One thing I like about the combat spaces in this game is that, afterwards, there's a whole bunch of stuff I discover that I didn't notice while I was fighting. Makes me excited for my second run on 1999 mode. That fight in the
Grand Central Depot
was intense.

A good problem I have with this game is that I want to use so many of the weapons that I have a very hard time deciding which to go with. I want to use them all!

Fjordson

Got a question: Does anybody know what Tesla coils do? I can't figure it out.
I think they sort of act as turrets, though with slightly less range it seems and with electricity bolts instead of bullets or rockets.

They basically stunlock anything that comes near one with continuous electricity. They were pretty useful in a few battles for me.

-griffy-

Banned
Ok so I'm finally to the giant ass fight on
Hand of the Prophet after killing Comstock and getting the Songbird's help
. I don't think I can do this on Hard. Once the
Vox Populi zeppelins start flying in with the patriots
everything goes to hell. I'm guessing I'm like at the very end of the game though so I'm trying to push through.

Send Songbird to take down one zeppelin while you fly up on the skyline and land on the other yourself, where you can go inside and destroy the engine with your skyhook exactly like you do earlier in the game. Then jump back out and fly down to the airship deck like a boss as Elizabeth swoons.

I think they sort of act as turrets, though with slightly less range it seems and with electricity bolts instead of bullets or rockets.

They basically stunlock anything that comes near one with continuous electricity. They were pretty useful in a few battles for me.

Ah thanks.

Found Return to Sender. Can't wait to try it out. I think I'm nearing an area called
Emporia
, and I only have about 41/80 voxophones even with all my exploration. So unless the game goes overboard with the voxophones because I'm know I'm more than 70%+ through, I'm going to miss a lot. And I don't even know where they could be! I explored everything!

Finally at the end. I sure hope you guys are right about this ending, this thing jumped all of Sea World in the last couple hours. It's so intriguing but such a mess and I think really suffers from First Idea Syndrome. Overall though, I've really enjoyed myself a lot.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Right after I complained, I beat the section and just finished the game. My mind is blown. There are no words I can even offer right now to what just happened. I haven't felt this way since I saw End of Evangelion for the first time.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Finally at the end. I sure hope you guys are right about this ending, this thing jumped all of Sea World in the last couple hours. It's so intriguing but such a mess and I think really suffers from First Idea Syndrome. Overall though, I've really enjoyed myself a lot.
I thought the same thing for the final 2-3 hours, but the ending really fleshes a lot of that out.

Tom Penny

Can't believe I had to reinstall the whole game to fix a glitch. Luckily it didn't eat my saves. Finished the game. Good stuff. Now they need to fix the stuttering so I can do it again.

Fjordson

Ah thanks.

Found Return to Sender. Can't wait to try it out. I think I'm nearing an area called
Emporia
, and I only have about 41/80 voxophones even with all my exploration. So unless the game goes overboard with the voxophones because I'm know I'm more than 70%+ through, I'm going to miss a lot. And I don't even know where they could be! I explored everything!
Yeah, some of of those suckers are hidden like no other I guess. I felt like I explored every square inch of the game and yet I missed 10 Voxophones and a few Kinetoscopes =[

Gvaz

Banned
I had a much worse system than the op's reccomended system and I had pretty good performance with this game.

45-60fps on medium @ 1920x1200

i5 3570k @ 4.2
8gb ddr3 in dc
1GB HD4890

-griffy-

Banned
About to hit the you-know-who boss on 1999. Thus far the game has been a breeze compared to my first runthrough on hard. Love playing through this a second time.

The only achievements I'm having problems with are the skyline ones. I still don't know what a skyline execution is :(

When you are on a skyline and fly by an enemy who is also on a skyline you get a button prompt to knock them off. But are you sure you're not talking about skyHOOK executions? There's an achievement for that, not the skyLINE executions, and to do that you HOLD DOWN the melee button on a near dead enemy. They will get a little skull icon near their healthbar when you are in range and they are sufficiently wounded.

There's also an achievement for doing skyline strikes, which is where you target an enemy from the skyline giving you a button prompt, leap off and hit them.

Mik3F

Wow is all I have to say. Absolutely loved it from start to finish. Going to play Bioshock 1 next and then go through on 1999 mode

Didn't expect to be thrown into another
HM fight so quickly after you encountered the Songbird very briefly.
Took me a while to get a hang of that combat space, but once I was I was rolling on enemies. Defeated that HM in one go!

Carbonox

All I have left is getting every collectible and beating the game on 1999 mode.

Such a great game but it's also making me want to play Bioshock 1 again.

Varna

The final battle was pretty damn cool. Like a
Tower defense
game. I was in 1999 mode and I just barely beat it.

The couple will
thanks you and rewards you a gear later on if you choose to throw it at the announcer guy.

They do? I don't remember
them giving me a gear, I only remember them saying thanks

also yes, obviously when I say meaningless I mean besides not being a dick

Orcastar

Whew, finished the game. Dat ending.

Guess I'll replay in 1999 mode anyway, seeing as how that one boss fight was the only challenging part of the game on hard. And even that one became incredibly easy once I realized how overpowered
Return to Sender
is.

-griffy-

Banned
They do? I don't remember
them giving me a gear, I only remember them saying thanks

also yes, obviously when I say meaningless I mean besides not being a dick
There's a piece of gear on the table next to them.
If you choose to throw the ball at them instead of the announcer then one of Fink's men will be outside of that very same hallway with a piece of gear for you, so it makes no difference what you do from a gameplay perspective.

End spoilers:
It's relevantly meaningless in a story sense, as are all the "choices" in the game, as they illustrate different variables that lead to the same outcome. Hence needing to go back to root of the problem to make a real change.

There's a piece of gear on the table next to them.
If you choose to throw the ball at them instead of the announcer then one of Fink's men will be outside of that very same hallway with a piece of gear for you, so it makes no difference what you do from a gameplay perspective.

Oh right, I remember now, I just picked that up as they were talking, lol.

This game is awesome. Getting used to the combat- pistol and shotgun seems pretty effective so far, with
Devil's Kiss and Bucking Bronco
at the ready. I dunno if the game will change radically enough to make me reconsider that, but I hope not, because I love that shotgun. Just entered the Heroes place now.

Got my platinum for the game. 1999 mode wasn't really too bad at all other than a couple parts
Final form of Lady Comstock and the Handyman battle before you kill Fitzroy,
now I gotta find something to play until Last of Us comes out. *Sigh*

Varna

Is there any trick to defeating
ghost lady
and
handy man
in 1999 mode? Do they have any weakness? Honestly just had to restock at the vendor for the first and abuse the hell out of the skyline for the second.

Drago

My friend is going to be lending me the PS3 version for the week.

As someone who has never played a BioShock before, will I be able to play and understand this game fine?
I planned on doing a series playthrough in a few years when I have built a PC, but hearing all the good things about the game, I can't pass up the opportunity to play this while it's still fresh.

My friend is going to be lending me the PS3 version for the week.

As someone who has never played a BioShock before, will I be able to play and understand this game fine?

As someone who is playing the game now and has also never played a Bioshock game before- yeah, you'll be fine.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Great.

Another question - about how long is the game on an easy/medium playthrough? I'll only have it for 4-5 days so I want to budget my time accordingly

If you look for stuff around 15 hours on Normal. If you are busting through on Easy (don't play easy) you could do it in 8.

I finally after a dozen deaths got past the turret. Now, I'm kinda stuck. I'm inside the building where the police are searching, and after barely fending off the dozens of soldiers, I get killed by the fireman. Question: how in the hell am I supposed to kill this guy?

Montresor

Can someone give me some advice on some of these achievements I have left? I've beaten the game on normal already. I'm about to start 1999 mode. Here are the achievements I have left:

Beat game on hard
Beat game on 1999 mode
Beat game on 1999 mode without buying anything from a Dollar Bill store

and

20 skyhook executions
30 kills with crank gun
Lure 3 enemies into a vigor trap 5 times
Kill 20 enemies with (spoiler)
allies brought in through a tear
Kill 30 enemies while on a sky line
Kill 10 enemies with environmental hazards
Kill 20 enemies by knocking them off Columbia
Kill 5 enemies while they're falling
Kill 5 enemies while drunk
Kill (spoiler)
a handy-man by only shooting its heart
Find all kinetoscopes and telescopes
Find all voxophones

Would I be doing myself a disservice trying to go for all these achievements in my 1999 playthrough? Would I be avoiding a lot of needless grief if I just went for them using chapter select before/after I finish 1999?

Top Bottom